Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 5:17 pm
Jun 11, 2012
106 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
Did my first EI bi-weekly report online and was prompted to call their 1-800 number and press 0 to speak with a rep as soon as possible. But ever since friday it keeps saying they are experiencing high call volumes and can't transfer my call. What the hell do I do?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
StergMTL wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 11:28 am
Did my first EI bi-weekly report online and was prompted to call their 1-800 number and press 0 to speak with a rep as soon as possible. But ever since friday it keeps saying they are experiencing high call volumes and can't transfer my call. What the hell do I do?
Keep calling?
Jan 31, 2008
408 posts
38 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Jul 16th, 2016 6:22 pm
9 or fewer hours won't cause an issue
Hi clseea,

So regardless of when you take courses (days/evenings or weekends), if you take 9 hours or less, then it will be OK?
Does this 9 hours include the "study/prep" time or just the actual in-class time?

Asking for one who is going for MBA this Fall. It's the evening route so taking two 2.75 hours evening classes a week (6:30 - 9:15 PM). So 5.5 hours/week in-class time. This evening route is for people who want to work full time in the day so should be OK for EI right?

Since the economy sucks, they're thinking of taking a 3rd evening class. This would make it 8.25 hours/wk of in class time. Is it still OK?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1455 posts
447 upvotes
StergMTL wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 11:28 am
You indicated something on your report that needs further investigating. You report won't go through until the agent speaks with you and inputs your report. Wake up early and call first thing otherwise you won't be getting paid.
Jul 19, 2016
1 posts
I work as a Camp Attendant/Janitor for a service company out of Edmonton. When the slow down hit the oilpatch the last day I worked was 24 Feb 2016. The work dried up as it does every spring. It took my employer 40 days to post my ROE online. The ROE was "A" (Shortage of work). My claim started on 27 Mar 2016. I had called a few times to check in for work if there was any, there wasn't. In the end of May and start of June, they wanted me to go out to do a "kitchen helper" job that I am not qualified for, I have no Food Service Certificate. I live over 500km away from the office (point of departure). The notice is short (be there at 6am). I have to catch a bus in the morning the day before and wait overnight till 6am to make a call like that, it is a very expensive proposition for a contract position I am not suited for. I have worked for this company for 19 years under one name or another. The HR department used to understand my predicament and would give me enough notice. Anyway, I declined that offer, there was no way I could do it transport wise. The current HR manager and one of her assistants both have hinted that they "could" amend my ROE. I don't think that is right. 65 day's after the first "Layoff" ROE, they did amend it on 7 June 2016 to "E" (Quit). I did not QUIT! So my claim is being held back, phoned the Line, told to call back in a week, did, was told a would get a return call within 5 days. What is the proper way to deal with this? I am at an utter loss.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
bubble_tea wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 2:29 pm
Hi clseea,

So regardless of when you take courses (days/evenings or weekends), if you take 9 hours or less, then it will be OK?
Does this 9 hours include the "study/prep" time or just the actual in-class time?

Asking for one who is going for MBA this Fall. It's the evening route so taking two 2.75 hours evening classes a week (6:30 - 9:15 PM). So 5.5 hours/week in-class time. This evening route is for people who want to work full time in the day so should be OK for EI right?

Since the economy sucks, they're thinking of taking a 3rd evening class. This would make it 8.25 hours/wk of in class time. Is it still OK?
It's hours spent dedicated to school and related activities. That being said, night classes don't typically pose a problem if the person normally works during the day, is still actively looking for work and willing and able to accept it
Aug 14, 2015
15 posts
Calgary, AB
Hi, my EI benefits ended in April 2016. Today, I received a notice in the mail saying I am eligible for 25 more weeks due to the new government changes regarding EI. But due to the disruption in my benefits I was forced to take on a part time job that paid less than my benefits which I've already left since. I'm a tradesperson who's actively looking for full time employment in my line of work. Are they going to stop my EI benefits again for quitting that part time job?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
joe382 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 11:36 pm
Hi, my EI benefits ended in April 2016. Today, I received a notice in the mail saying I am eligible for 25 more weeks due to the new government changes regarding EI. But due to the disruption in my benefits I was forced to take on a part time job that paid less than my benefits which I've already left since. I'm a tradesperson who's actively looking for full time employment in my line of work. Are they going to stop my EI benefits again for quitting that part time job?
If you quit without just cause you won't be paid
Feb 3, 2010
154 posts
22 upvotes
Lower Woods Harbour
clseea wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 1:52 am
If you quit without just cause you won't be paid
My claim ran out in June. Will I get additional weeks due to government changes? I live in NS, Postal Code is B0w 2E0.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Trans Am wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 3:39 pm
My claim ran out in June. Will I get additional weeks due to government changes? I live in NS, Postal Code is B0w 2E0.
No idea, we can't answer that for you. Call in to find out
Jul 26, 2012
981 posts
27 upvotes
My Uncle had his work contract expired a couple of weeks ago and I helped him apply for Ei. He still hasn't received any payment yet and when I check the service Canada the ROE isn't there eithier. Is he suppose to call his old workplace and pick up his roe?
Sep 11, 2011
267 posts
64 upvotes
taeyang987 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 8:39 am
My Uncle had his work contract expired a couple of weeks ago and I helped him apply for Ei. He still hasn't received any payment yet and when I check the service Canada the ROE isn't there eithier. Is he suppose to call his old workplace and pick up his roe?
To soon for payment as it takes 28 days (or longer) for approval. Did he receive his access code to do his reporting?
Yes, it's his responsibility to contact the company about his missing ROE.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
PeterBJ wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 7:30 pm
What happens if one stops doing EI reports?
You stop getting paid
Jul 22, 2016
2 posts
Thank you, I should have provided more details. I have started working as self-employed, and I no longer need EI, or at least won't need it for a forseable time. Do I just stop doing reports? Am I required to do more than that?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)