Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 8:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
Ashley709 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 11:06 pm
I am able to go back to my job this week since Mat leave is over, but they offered me another year leave extension if I want to take it.

I am already approved for an Ei claim for 43 weeks. So if I took the extension Is it wrong to take the year off extension, and work part time job while collecting Ei?
You just finished collecting EI maternity/parental benefits (full entitlement I'm assuming) and you're now approved for regular benefits somehow? Am I reading that correctly?

I must be reading that wrong... Where did the new hours come from to establish a new claim?

Regardless, you can't opt into part time work and have EI supplement your income.
Newbie
Dec 16, 2014
11 posts
Headingley, MB
clseea wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 2:03 am
You just finished collecting EI maternity/parental benefits (full entitlement I'm assuming) and you're now approved for regular benefits somehow? Am I reading that correctly?

I must be reading that wrong... Where did the new hours come from to establish a new claim .
I worked the entire duration while on mat & parental, that is where the new hours came from...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
Ashley709 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 2:12 am
I worked the entire duration while on mat & parental, that is where the new hours came from...
Fair enough. Regardless, you can't opt into part time employment to collect EI
Newbie
Sep 18, 2012
18 posts
9 upvotes
Edmonton
Good day everyone, a friend of mine is currently on E.I but recently received a cheque for his CPP contributions that was recently closed. Should he report this? Thanks in advance
Member
Dec 16, 2006
394 posts
38 upvotes
Hi, I keep my another part-time job, the employer refuse to issue Record of Employment. She insisted that she cann't do that if I am not quit the job, not even for emplyement insurance.

How can I do ?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
6239 posts
3395 upvotes
Edmonton
canada168 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 8:46 am
Hi, I keep my another part-time job, the employer refuse to issue Record of Employment. She insisted that she cann't do that if I am not quit the job, not even for emplyement insurance.

How can I do ?
I don't really understand the post, but call Service Canada. They can also give you one electronically, instead of a paper copy. Their choice.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4950 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
canada168 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 8:46 am
Hi, I keep my another part-time job, the employer refuse to issue Record of Employment. She insisted that she cann't do that if I am not quit the job, not even for emplyement insurance.

How can I do ?
The employer can issue it with the reason for separation of K-Other At Employees Request.
Newbie
Aug 7, 2016
1 posts
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question as it is hard for me to actually call in an talk to the EI representatives.
I've been on EI for about 3 months, I recently got a job and have worked for 4 days (including today)... I am finding I just took the first job that sounded like it was in my field of study from university.
Today I found out half of what was offered to me as a job is now going to a new hire and I am left with a sales position I am not qualified for nor do I feel I will be a success at.
Will I still be recieving my EI benefits if I were to quit this position?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
katmarie009 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 6:54 pm
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question as it is hard for me to actually call in an talk to the EI representatives.
I've been on EI for about 3 months, I recently got a job and have worked for 4 days (including today)... I am finding I just took the first job that sounded like it was in my field of study from university.
Today I found out half of what was offered to me as a job is now going to a new hire and I am left with a sales position I am not qualified for nor do I feel I will be a success at.
Will I still be recieving my EI benefits if I were to quit this position?
Not unless you exhaust reasonable alternatives to quitting and have just cause for doing so
Newbie
Dec 11, 2015
17 posts
3 upvotes
Sick While on EI
I have a question about Employment Insurance as I am not familiar with it and can't find an answer on the government website. I am currently collecting EI but was sick with the flue for a week while on the claim. Not sure what I am supposed to report. I think it would be that I am not available for work because I was sick. Am I going to get paid regular benefits if I was sick? Am I going to lose the week and not get paid? Is there any sick benefits while on EI? If so do I need to get a form from my doctor? If anyone has information about what I should do I would appreciate it as I have to fill my report out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
Frank1955 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 12:00 pm
Sick While on EI
I have a question about Employment Insurance as I am not familiar with it and can't find an answer on the government website. I am currently collecting EI but was sick with the flue for a week while on the claim. Not sure what I am supposed to report. I think it would be that I am not available for work because I was sick. Am I going to get paid regular benefits if I was sick? Am I going to lose the week and not get paid? Is there any sick benefits while on EI? If so do I need to get a form from my doctor? If anyone has information about what I should do I would appreciate it as I have to fill my report out.
Declare you were not available for work due to illness and you'll be paid sick benefits for that week. You won't need a doctors note if it was only a week
Newbie
Dec 11, 2015
17 posts
3 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:14 pm
Frank1955 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 12:00 pm
Sick While on EI
I have a question about Employment Insurance as I am not familiar with it and can't find an answer on the government website. I am currently collecting EI but was sick with the flue for a week while on the claim. Not sure what I am supposed to report. I think it would be that I am not available for work because I was sick. Am I going to get paid regular benefits if I was sick? Am I going to lose the week and not get paid? Is there any sick benefits while on EI? If so do I need to get a form from my doctor? If anyone has information about what I should do I would appreciate it as I have to fill my report out.
Declare you were not available for work due to illness and you'll be paid sick benefits for that week. You won't need a doctors note if it was only a week
So does that mean I will get a week of sick benefits but lose a week of regular benefits? Is there a limit as to the number of weeks you can get sick benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
Frank1955 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 9:04 pm
clseea wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:14 pm
Frank1955 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 12:00 pm
Sick While on EI
I have a question about Employment Insurance as I am not familiar with it and can't find an answer on the government website. I am currently collecting EI but was sick with the flue for a week while on the claim. Not sure what I am supposed to report. I think it would be that I am not available for work because I was sick. Am I going to get paid regular benefits if I was sick? Am I going to lose the week and not get paid? Is there any sick benefits while on EI? If so do I need to get a form from my doctor? If anyone has information about what I should do I would appreciate it as I have to fill my report out.
Declare you were not available for work due to illness and you'll be paid sick benefits for that week. You won't need a doctors note if it was only a week
So does that mean I will get a week of sick benefits but lose a week of regular benefits? Is there a limit as to the number of weeks you can get sick benefits?
Sick is separate from regular. You don't lose regular since you're not being paid regular.
15 weeks max
Newbie
Mar 22, 2016
11 posts
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully there's enough experience here to answer my question.

My wife and I are both fully employed and have been for a long time. We have decided to re-locate to a new city which is about 2hrs away. She has a new job lined up but I will have to quit mine to move and so far nothing is avail for me. I know there is a clause which states that following a spouse for new job is reasonable cause to quit a job. But what i'm wondering is whether my wife would have had to be layed off or if the fact that she just decided to move on her own is still acceptable for me to get EI benefits until I find something else.
We are not trying to milk the system at all, so I hope I have no concerns to qualify for a bit.

Thanks for your time
J
Jr. Member
May 25, 2011
161 posts
25 upvotes
Halifax
Hello,

Just curious what the definition of a "full work week" is according to Service Canada?

This is specific to the Working on a Claim program, where it states: "If you work a full work week, you will not receive any EI benefits, regardless of the amount you earn."

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)