[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3877 upvotes
Calgary
Jaspie wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 10:27 am
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully there's enough experience here to answer my question.

My wife and I are both fully employed and have been for a long time. We have decided to re-locate to a new city which is about 2hrs away. She has a new job lined up but I will have to quit mine to move and so far nothing is avail for me. I know there is a clause which states that following a spouse for new job is reasonable cause to quit a job. But what i'm wondering is whether my wife would have had to be layed off or if the fact that she just decided to move on her own is still acceptable for me to get EI benefits until I find something else.
We are not trying to milk the system at all, so I hope I have no concerns to qualify for a bit.

Thanks for your time
J
Here is the thing, you and your wife decided to move to a new city. This is considered a personal decision under EI, and therefore is not considered just cause.

The situation would be different if you or your wife is transferred by the employer to a new city and the other spouse wish to follow. Or if one of you have no job to begin with, and land a good job at another city and therefore the other has to move.
Aug 10, 2016
8 posts
Hi everyone!
I am currently applying for a leave of absence (I dont have medical papers yet so I'm leaning on to apply for personal leave of absense)
Right now I'm just using my sick days due to printing issues and I want to know what to expect
I have been working at my job in tech support for almost 3 years now full time (its work from home)
I have over 1000 hours in Toronto
I was recently raped at home because I do have a problem with alcohol and I decided to order some food
I would like to take a few months off to find help for this rape experience and help with my alcohol
I was wondering would I qualify for E.I. I currently don't have medical papers because it just happened on Sunday

Thank you in advance :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
wondering213 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 1:48 pm
Hi everyone!
I am currently applying for a leave of absence (I dont have medical papers yet so I'm leaning on to apply for personal leave of absense)
Right now I'm just using my sick days due to printing issues and I want to know what to expect
I have been working at my job in tech support for almost 3 years now full time (its work from home)
I have over 1000 hours in Toronto
I was recently raped at home because I do have a problem with alcohol and I decided to order some food
I would like to take a few months off to find help for this rape experience and help with my alcohol
I was wondering would I qualify for E.I. I currently don't have medical papers because it just happened on Sunday

Thank you in advance :)

If your Doctor provides you with medical authorization to be off work then you be able to qualify for sick benefits (which are up to a maximum of 15 weeks). You need 600 hours to be eligible for this.

I'm very sorry to hear about your personal issues :(
Aug 8, 2013
39 posts
6 upvotes
I'm a little confused about the wording here.. TIA

In addition to EI benefits, you’ll receive:
  1. four weeks of pay topped up to 100% of your regular earnings
  2. two weeks of pay topped up to 80% of your regular earnings
  3. 11 weeks of pay topped up to 80% of regular earnings above the year’s maximum insurable earnings
1st and 2nd are easy. But what's the difference between the 2nd and 3rd items? I'm guessing the 3rd one is less beneficial than the 2nd.
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
Hi guys, just wanna ask how can a pregnant woman claim sickness EI? I know the doctor needs to submit INS5140 but on what ground will a doctor permits an almost-due pregnant woman to claim sickness EI?

Referring to the situation of my previous post, my wife's temp job has notified her the contract will end in Sept. She is due in March 2016 and has accumulated 600 hours for maternal EI which can starts as early as mid-Jan. The issue is she will be out of work from Oct to Dec and pregnant in the 3rd trimester.

We think she is also eligible for regular EI - but we don't think she is capable of finding job actively so it defies the definition of regular EI. We are hoping she can either hop onto another temp job for that 3 months (may be hard) or get sickness EI. We are also not sure if she can get maternal EI after regular EI. We haven't applied for EI in the past and found our case pretty confusing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all in advance!
Aug 16, 2016
2 posts
Hi All -

I will be applying EI for the first ever time and have a couple of basic questions.

I got laid off after 5 years of consecutive employment with the same company on 31 May 2016. I did not apply for EI straightaway and was out of country for over a month returning back last week. Can Service Canada deny my EI claim based on the late application? I am really concerned about the late application and hoping it will not be a reason for EI denial.

Also I have heard that I can work unto 40% of my weekly entitlement without deductions under a new pilot scheme launched a few days ago. My annual income was almost double the maximum insurable income and I am assuming I will get $537 weekly EI benefit. So I can earn $ 214 each week without getting any deduction from my EI benefit?

Looking forward to your expert opinions.
Aug 16, 2016
1 posts
Hello,
Thanks for all the valuable information in this thread, way more helpful than the automated phone sessions.

I applied for EI in February when I was laid of from my construction job due to shortage of work. I was working 10hr days, 10 days in a row with 4 days off, so I think I have enough hours.
I never received my code in the mail, but I did find out that I was missing my ROE from a previous employer that year. I didn't send it in as I was looking for other work and hoping to not have to collect EI. I went unemployed until April, when I started working for a local roofing company. I did a few weeks with him, and then he gave me two days notice before he took two weeks vacation. I couldn't pay my rent anymore, so I quit, decided to go back to school, and moved back home. I had hand surgery this May and only just started working again two weeks ago in AB where I am going to school this September. Basically, I made it through all these changes by maxing out my Credit and now I am worried that I won't be able to maintain this job and school at the same time. My story seems complicated, and I am wondering if there is any reason to pursue my late application.
Any information would be very helpful to me.
Thanks.
Aug 16, 2016
1 posts
Hi everyone

I really hope someone can help me with this...I got laid off from my job on July 23,2016 and have an
roe stating the reason is shortage of work..
Now my employer asked me to come back for a week which I did but now won't let me leave again and is saying where I worked another week he will give me another roe for that week which says I quit...so will I be able to get ei benefits if he does this ??? I'm currently on ei from a claim from last year so I haven't filled yet and now I'm afraid he will screw me over
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Arrow123 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 2:48 pm
I'm a little confused about the wording here.. TIA

In addition to EI benefits, you’ll receive:
  1. four weeks of pay topped up to 100% of your regular earnings
  2. two weeks of pay topped up to 80% of your regular earnings
  3. 11 weeks of pay topped up to 80% of regular earnings above the year’s maximum insurable earnings
1st and 2nd are easy. But what's the difference between the 2nd and 3rd items? I'm guessing the 3rd one is less beneficial than the 2nd.
That wording is from what?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Eric1010 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 10:08 am
Hi guys, just wanna ask how can a pregnant woman claim sickness EI? I know the doctor needs to submit INS5140 but on what ground will a doctor permits an almost-due pregnant woman to claim sickness EI?

Referring to the situation of my previous post, my wife's temp job has notified her the contract will end in Sept. She is due in March 2016 and has accumulated 600 hours for maternal EI which can starts as early as mid-Jan. The issue is she will be out of work from Oct to Dec and pregnant in the 3rd trimester.

We think she is also eligible for regular EI - but we don't think she is capable of finding job actively so it defies the definition of regular EI. We are hoping she can either hop onto another temp job for that 3 months (may be hard) or get sickness EI. We are also not sure if she can get maternal EI after regular EI. We haven't applied for EI in the past and found our case pretty confusing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all in advance!
If she can't work due to illness/medical reasons she can collect up to 15 weeks of sickness. She'll have to talk to her doctor and he/she will determine if your wife needs to be off.

If she combines regular and sick/maternity/parental her weeks will cap at 50, meaning she won't be off for a full year with the baby. Up to you what to do
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Babiah wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 10:13 am
Hi All -

I will be applying EI for the first ever time and have a couple of basic questions.

I got laid off after 5 years of consecutive employment with the same company on 31 May 2016. I did not apply for EI straightaway and was out of country for over a month returning back last week. Can Service Canada deny my EI claim based on the late application? I am really concerned about the late application and hoping it will not be a reason for EI denial.

Also I have heard that I can work unto 40% of my weekly entitlement without deductions under a new pilot scheme launched a few days ago. My annual income was almost double the maximum insurable income and I am assuming I will get $537 weekly EI benefit. So I can earn $ 214 each week without getting any deduction from my EI benefit?

Looking forward to your expert opinions.
You won't be denied but you'll most likely qualify for fewer weeks since you'll have fewer qualifying hours in your qualifying period. As for your earnings while on claim:

Your text to link here...
Aug 16, 2016
2 posts
Thank you @Clseea -

I have counted my hours and I still have 1537 hours from 16 Aug 2015 to 16 Aug 2016. Would that not entitle me to full 42 weeks of EI benefits?
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
Thanks Clseea! Really? My wife can apply for regular EI? I read after getting regular EI she needs to accumulate 600 hours before another EI. I am glad to know she may go from one to another.

I read from other posts that some pregnant women take 15 weeks sickness EI on top of 50 weeks full maternal/parental. It isn't true then? So if my wife takes 15 weeks sickness she can only be eligible for 35 weeks maternal/parental max?

Sadly I won't be taking any parental EI as my pay is much needed for paying the rent. Is there any wayway my wife can get something to cover that Oct - Dec no income period before getting full 50 weeks maternal/parental?

Thanks a lot!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Babiah wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:47 pm
Thank you @Clseea -

I have counted my hours and I still have 1537 hours from 16 Aug 2015 to 16 Aug 2016. Would that not entitle me to full 42 weeks of EI benefits?
It will depend on your regional rate of unemployment

Your text to link here...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)