Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 12:11 pm
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone heard of the rule that once you have seven or more disentitlements on a claim your subsequent two week reports have to be epic eased mbaualky and can take up to 4 week to be processed.

I have been out of Canada a few times over the course of my claim sometimes crossing over two reports (how I got to 7+) I questioned the agent on this but didn't not get a answer that made sense.
Oct 19, 2014
14 posts
1 upvote
Port Moody, BC
Hi OP,

Clssea responded to my posts but I wanted to get a response from you. In addition to my first post, I am still unable to work but I am talking about if I quit due to medical reasons with Doctor support, have moved back to my hometown, and am in the future cleared to return to work...will I be able to apply once cleared? And because I would be moving away from Vancouver, would I have to get clearance from the same Doctor that had me off work or can it be a doctor from my hometown because I won't be able to travel back down to Vancouver to get a note from my doctor I had here. Thank you!!!!
Sep 24, 2006
599 posts
61 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question about Start Date on old Claim - I never called in until Oct 25 2015 to start claim but they put Sept 27 because my other claim ended Sept 26 2015. Between Sept 27 and October 24 I was sick so I never started that claim and got the go ahead on October 23 or so. Can I call and get them to move the start claim date to when I really filed my EI claim because I am going for surgery on Oct 3 and will be off from October 3 to October 21 and would like to use that claim for medical EI.

thanks
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
One other question -- For weeks entitled, is that the number of weekends of potential EI support, or the number of EI weeks paid? Reason I ask is when I first filed I was able to find part time contract work which essentially meant $0 from EI for about 1-2 months (submitted reports, and they always said $0 will be paid). Not sure it that means I 'gave up' those weeks of EI by working part time, or if it just means I'll have more EI funding available to me should I still not find work down the road.

What makes me think it should be the latter is the fact the EI claim is open for 52 weeks, but say weeks of entitlement is around 40.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
2 upvotes
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 6:40 pm
One other question -- For weeks entitled, is that the number of weekends of potential EI support, or the number of EI weeks paid? Reason I ask is when I first filed I was able to find part time contract work which essentially meant $0 from EI for about 1-2 months (submitted reports, and they always said $0 will be paid). Not sure it that means I 'gave up' those weeks of EI by working part time, or if it just means I'll have more EI funding available to me should I still not find work down the road.

What makes me think it should be the latter is the fact the EI claim is open for 52 weeks, but say weeks of entitlement is around 40.
That means you have 40
Paid weeks of ei to use in 52 weeks. So those weeks where you worked are not lost but if in 52 weeks you only use say 20 weeks of ei your claim
Will be closed regardless or if you use all 40 before the 52 week period is up. You did. It loose out on those weeks for working.
Sep 15, 2016
2 posts
Calgary, AB
Hi

I have a question regarding Employment Insurance (EI).
I am currently receiving EI and at the same time i am looking for jobs but due to bad job market in Alberta i am unable to find a job.
I will be traveling to Europe for about 2 months to take care of my grandmother after her surgery (who doesn't have help).
What should i do during that period of time? Should i inform EI that i will be traveling or continue receiving EI without informing them?
What will be the consequences?
What should i do any suggestions?
Traveling months December, January and will be returning in February.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
YYC2016 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2016 3:44 pm
Hi

I am currently receiving EI and at the same time i am looking for jobs but due to bad job market in Alberta i am unable to find a job.
I will be traveling to Europe for about 2 months to take care of my grandmother after her surgery (who doesn't have help).
What should i do during that period of time? Should i inform EI that i will be traveling or continue receiving EI without informing them?

Thank you
Are you really asking this?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1184 upvotes
YYC2016 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2016 9:26 pm
yes, that's the reason i am asking for suggestion.
You should inform them you are gone. You are not eligible for benefits when you're not available for work and shouldn't be collecting them.

If you chose to go and not report and continue to collect...if this was found out you would have to pay all the money back in addition to having a monetary penalty added on top of that.
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
craigsol wrote:
Sep 16th, 2016 12:18 am
Conundrum1911 wrote:

That means you have 40
Paid weeks of ei to use in 52 weeks. So those weeks where you worked are not lost but if in 52 weeks you only use say 20 weeks of ei your claim
Will be closed regardless or if you use all 40 before the 52 week period is up. You did. It loose out on those weeks for working.
I understand the fact that if the EI claim is 'open' for 52 weeks, and you have 40 weeks of entitlement, at week 40 of 52 under normal circumstances that would be the end of your benefits.

What I meant by my question is, say for the first 8 weeks you could get benefits you didn't (after the report you were told you would get $0 based on earned income during the reporting period), would you still stop receiving benefits at week 40 of 52, or would it adjust to week 48 of 52 based on not getting anything those 8 weeks.

Same conditions would technically occur if someone found part-time contract work in the middle of a claim, meaning until that contract ended they wouldn't get benefits again.

Obviously though in either case if the EI claim is only open 52 weeks, you can't go past that number no matter how many are unused/paid out $0.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 7:43 pm
craigsol wrote:
Sep 16th, 2016 12:18 am
Conundrum1911 wrote:

That means you have 40
I understand the fact that if the EI claim is 'open' for 52 weeks, and you have 40 weeks of entitlement, at week 40 of 52 under normal circumstances that would be the end of your benefits.

What I meant by my question is, say for the first 8 weeks you could get benefits you didn't (after the report you were told you would get $0 based on earned income during the reporting period), would you still stop receiving benefits at week 40 of 52, or would it adjust to week 48 of 52 based on not getting anything those 8 weeks.

Same conditions would technically occur if someone found part-time contract work in the middle of a claim, meaning until that contract ended they wouldn't get benefits again.

Obviously though in either case if the EI claim is only open 52 weeks, you can't go past that number no matter how many are unused/paid out $0.
You have 52 weeks to collect your entitlement. If you're paid $1 or more, you use a week of entitlement. Your claim ends when you either use your entitlement or hit the end of your 52 week window, whichever happens first
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5383 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
YYC2016 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2016 3:44 pm
Hi

Thank you
On EI report, your should say, Out of the country and Not available for work.

If you did not do that and continue to receive EI down the line you will receive a letter from service canada requesting you to pay back the monies you receive during that period. There is no escape since they can take your tax refund as a repayment.
Jul 28, 2016
9 posts
Good Day,

Asking a question for a friend/previous co-worker. He has his business that is incorporated where he does some part-time contract work. It tends to be 1 week within a month throughout the year. Otherwise he has been working full time for 30 years till shutdown. For the purpose of this post, if he earns $1000 one week, but doesn't work the following 2-3 weeks, how will that affect his benefits?

He would obviously claim for the week he worked and if i understand it correctly, his benefits would extend by 1 week?
Will the week he work only affect his benefits for that weekly period or will the $1000 be averaged over the 2 week period of the filing?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

M
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
NSorbust wrote:
Sep 20th, 2016 7:52 am

Good Day,

Asking a question for a friend/previous co-worker. He has his business that is incorporated where he does some part-time contract work. It tends to be 1 week within a month throughout the year. Otherwise he has been working full time for 30 years till shutdown. For the purpose of this post, if he earns $1000 one week, but doesn't work the following 2-3 weeks, how will that affect his benefits?
By "his business" do you mean self employment? If yes, his claim will be reviewed to determine the extent of his involvement in it.
He would obviously claim for the week he worked and if i understand it correctly, his benefits would extend by 1 week?
No, it's not extended.
Will the week he work only affect his benefits for that weekly period or will the $1000 be averaged over the 2 week period of the filing?
It's allocated weekly, not averaged.
Jul 28, 2016
9 posts
Thanks for your reply. "his business" means he is the only employee, so yes, self employed. However, having had 30 years of other employment paying into EI, this business was extra.

question:

If weekly total corporate income‎ must be reported or just the dividends taken?

What if no money or dividends taken from a corporation owned and operated by my friend?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

M