Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 10:32 pm
Dec 11, 2015
17 posts
3 upvotes
Clseea... I have a further question about this. I made a claim as you suggested and it was processed fine.

However, now I am sick this week and when I look on the Service Canada site it says I require a medical certificate and that I have to pay for it.
I was only off the sick one week previously and want to know if now I have to go to the doctor because this is a second week about a month later. I don't want to claim it and not get a medical certificate if it will be required later... but by the same token i don't want to sit in a doctors office for hours if it isnt needed. I am sure I will be better by the weekend, but if not is there some sort of guideline as to when I need or dont need a medical certificate..

I really don't know what Service Canada will require and I tried calling but just get a busy signal. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Frank1955 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 1:11 pm
Clseea... I have a further question about this. I made a claim as you suggested and it was processed fine.

However, now I am sick this week and when I look on the Service Canada site it says I require a medical certificate and that I have to pay for it.
I was only off the sick one week previously and want to know if now I have to go to the doctor because this is a second week about a month later. I don't want to claim it and not get a medical certificate if it will be required later... but by the same token i don't want to sit in a doctors office for hours if it isnt needed. I am sure I will be better by the weekend, but if not is there some sort of guideline as to when I need or dont need a medical certificate..

I really don't know what Service Canada will require and I tried calling but just get a busy signal. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Type out exactly what it says or post a screen shot.

For a week of casual sickness you shouldn't require a note, the message should be that you should get a note in case they review your claim. But it's not something you need to claim the 1 week of casual sickness
Jul 26, 2016
107 posts
34 upvotes
Hi guys, quick question. For special EI, will they deduct vacation pay?

My wife will have her contract end soon and she won't renew it due to her pregnancy. She doesn't plan to get regular EI, but maternal EI 8 weeks before her expected due date. I assume she doesn't need her ROE to apply EI in that case? Will maternal EI also deduct her pay dollar to dollar from her vacation or any bonus/compensation she may receive?
Nov 13, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
BURNABY
Last week Monday I had an interview, this Friday I was laid off (temporarily), and this Wednesday I got a job offer from the company that interviewed me. I applied for EI the day I was laid off.

At the time of the interview, I told them I was employed full time, however I'm unemployed as of the job offer date. I'm worried that if I don't update the company on my employment status, that they will be able to find out that I am unemployed via my EI claim, and they may take that as me misleading them. I also don't want to tell them I'm unemployed now, since I would like the 2 week notice period off (unpaid, still in my EI-no-pay-period), to enjoy some vacation (which I haven't been able to take this year). Scuzzy, I know, but I'm burnt out and need some time.

Is it possible for a prospective company to know that I am on EI/applied for EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Eric1010 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 2:36 pm

My wife will have her contract end soon and she won't renew it due to her pregnancy. She doesn't plan to get regular EI, but maternal EI 8 weeks before her expected due date. I assume she doesn't need her ROE to apply EI in that case? Will maternal EI also deduct her pay dollar to dollar from her vacation or any bonus/compensation she may receive?
Vacation pay will be allocated like normal, delaying the start of her claim. Different bonuses affect things differently so will need more specifics
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
swordth wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 11:32 pm
Last week Monday I had an interview, this Friday I was laid off (temporarily), and this Wednesday I got a job offer from the company that interviewed me. I applied for EI the day I was laid off.

At the time of the interview, I told them I was employed full time, however I'm unemployed as of the job offer date. I'm worried that if I don't update the company on my employment status, that they will be able to find out that I am unemployed via my EI claim, and they may take that as me misleading them. I also don't want to tell them I'm unemployed now, since I would like the 2 week notice period off (unpaid, still in my EI-no-pay-period), to enjoy some vacation (which I haven't been able to take this year). Scuzzy, I know, but I'm burnt out and need some time.

Is it possible for a prospective company to know that I am on EI/applied for EI?
No.
Nov 13, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
BURNABY
clseea wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 2:15 am
swordth wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 11:32 pm

No.
Thank you.
Sep 21, 2016
1 posts
My question is a bit of a pickle so I'll try this with point form:

-Applying for EI with 3 months as an official employee
-Working for same guy for prior to that as a subcontractor
-CRA rules classify it as an employer/employee relationship
-CPP/EI wasn't paid, but legally should have been
-Does Service Canada take this into account if a report is made to CRA?
-Meaning the CPP/EI would be collected after investigation and audit

Thanks
May 4, 2014
2 posts
Birdton, NB
I have a question about ei hour eligibility. I need to know if these hours will count towards ei even though I quit a job with what I believe to be just cause. I was working for a company this summer and after a month of working had only worked for 82 hours. So my ROE states that I worked for 82 hours for a month and the reason for issue was "quit- found another job" the job I found was for 12 weeks at 40 hrs per week.

So even though I quit. I quit for a job with full time hours. The first job was never a full time gig either it was seasonal. And the 2nd job contract with layoff at the end.

Do the hours count?
Jun 10, 2010
10 posts
19 upvotes
toronto
Hi,

I have a question about "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement."

I got laid off mid-April. I applied for EI, but didn't end up receiving benefits because of the severance package I received and I got a job in mid-May.

I got laid off AGAIN (!!) in August so I reapplied for EI, and I am now receiving benefits.

Before these two layoffs I worked full time for 10 years, with the exception of that 4-week period where I was unemployed but also NOT receiving EI.

My Service Canada Account says I get only 18 weeks of benefits. Is that right? Is it so low because I'm in Toronto?

Thakns.
Jul 26, 2016
107 posts
34 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 2:14 am
Eric1010 wrote:

Vacation pay will be allocated like normal, delaying the start of her claim. Different bonuses affect things differently so will need more specifics
Thanks clseea! Can I ask why vacation pay will affect special EI? I don't think my wife needs to show the ROE to claim maternal EI right? In principle EI shouldn't know about my wife's vacation pay?
Dec 29, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone! I am here to seek help with some questions about best weeks calculation.

1. How do I calculate my best weeks since all my pay cheques were bi-weekly basis and/or monthly basis? Every week I work different amount of hours or sometimes same hours but always get different amount of pay for the same job...
2. What if my pay period is not from Sunday to Saturday? How do I calculate? One of my job pays from Wed - Tues, the other from Fri - Thurs.
3. I am still waiting for a couple more pay cheques to be mailed to me as I just finished my contract this week. If I wait till I receive all the paperwork it would be to late to apply for EI (after 4 weeks of the last day on the job); if I apply now, I wouldn't be able to calculate my last couple weeks pay amount. What is the best way?

Please help! Thanks a lot!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Eric1010 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 4:27 pm
clseea wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 2:14 am
Eric1010 wrote:

Thanks clseea! Can I ask why vacation pay will affect special EI? I don't think my wife needs to show the ROE to claim maternal EI right? In principle EI shouldn't know about my wife's vacation pay?
Why wouldn't it affect EI? It's money she's earned through employment.

The ROE is required for any type of benefits, how else would a claim be established?

What principle are you talking about?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
janine5683 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 4:21 pm
Hi,

I have a question about "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement."

I got laid off mid-April. I applied for EI, but didn't end up receiving benefits because of the severance package I received and I got a job in mid-May.

I got laid off AGAIN (!!) in August so I reapplied for EI, and I am now receiving benefits.

Before these two layoffs I worked full time for 10 years, with the exception of that 4-week period where I was unemployed but also NOT receiving EI.

My Service Canada Account says I get only 18 weeks of benefits. Is that right? Is it so low because I'm in Toronto?

Thakns.
I'm guessing an entirely new claim got established instead of the initial one being reactivated. You'll need to call in to be sure, and to have things corrected. If I'm right, expect it to take forever to get corrected

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)