Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
Jul 28, 2016
9 posts
Are the payments still bi-weekly (it has been a while) or weekly. I have filled out claim electronically each week.

Thanks,

m
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
NSorbust wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 2:16 pm
Are the payments still bi-weekly (it has been a while) or weekly. I have filled out claim electronically each week.

Thanks,

m
Bi-weekly.
Feb 27, 2016
11 posts
Just got a call from Service Canada says they transferred my case to an agent to find out why I was dismissed, and told me to wait a few more weeks. 9:50pm logged in to my Service Canada account and got this message

We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by October 10, 2016.

If the View my payment information page does not show the result for the last report you submitted, we may need more information before it can be processed. Call 1-800-531-7555 Monday to Friday during business hours and press "0" to speak to a representative.

No Employment Insurance benefits are payable to you effective February 14, 2016 because you lost your employment due to your misconduct.

However, you may be entitled to sickness, maternity, parental, compassionate care or parents of critically ill children benefits providing you meet the necessary requirements. If any of these situations apply, please refer to the link http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/index.shtml for eligibility criteria or call 1 800 206-7218 during business hours and press “0” to speak to a Call Center Agent.

If you have any additional information which could change this decision, or would like more details, please contact us at either 1-800-206-7218 or at a Service Canada Centre. For faster service, always give us your Social Insurance Number. When you call us, you will also be required to provide your Access Code.

Our decisions are based on the Employment Insurance Act and its Regulations. If you disagree with this (these) decision(s), a request for a reconsideration of that decision must be made in writing to the Commission within 30 days of the date the decision was initially communicated to you.

For more information on how to request a reconsideration and to obtain a “Request for Reconsideration” form, please visit www.ei.gc.ca.

Please note that this is the most up-to-date information available in our system. Our Call Centre agents have access to the same information presented here. Any information processed on your claim today can be viewed online on the next business day.

I was transfering my EI benefits from compassionate care to regular benefits, my ROE does not stated anything reasons. I told EI centre that I asked my boss for a day off due to a family member is going to pass away in 6 months and I need a day to make arrangements, my boss said yes. Then the day after I got dismissed and now I'm not eligible for benefit because of misconduct??

Wonder how they conclude that I'm misconduct in the work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5083 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
typera wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 12:55 am
Just got a call from Service Canada says they transferred my case to an agent to find out why I was dismissed, and told me to wait a few more weeks. 9:50pm logged in to my Service Canada account and got this message

We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by October 10, 2016.

If the View my payment information page does not show the result for the last report you submitted, we may need more information before it can be processed. Call 1-800-531-7555 Monday to Friday during business hours and press "0" to speak to a representative.

No Employment Insurance benefits are payable to you effective February 14, 2016 because you lost your employment due to your misconduct.

However, you may be entitled to sickness, maternity, parental, compassionate care or parents of critically ill children benefits providing you meet the necessary requirements. If any of these situations apply, please refer to the link http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/index.shtml for eligibility criteria or call 1 800 206-7218 during business hours and press “0” to speak to a Call Center Agent.

If you have any additional information which could change this decision, or would like more details, please contact us at either 1-800-206-7218 or at a Service Canada Centre. For faster service, always give us your Social Insurance Number. When you call us, you will also be required to provide your Access Code.

Our decisions are based on the Employment Insurance Act and its Regulations. If you disagree with this (these) decision(s), a request for a reconsideration of that decision must be made in writing to the Commission within 30 days of the date the decision was initially communicated to you.

For more information on how to request a reconsideration and to obtain a “Request for Reconsideration” form, please visit www.ei.gc.ca.

Please note that this is the most up-to-date information available in our system. Our Call Centre agents have access to the same information presented here. Any information processed on your claim today can be viewed online on the next business day.

I was transfering my EI benefits from compassionate care to regular benefits, my ROE does not stated anything reasons. I told EI centre that I asked my boss for a day off due to a family member is going to pass away in 6 months and I need a day to make arrangements, my boss said yes. Then the day after I got dismissed and now I'm not eligible for benefit because of misconduct??

Wonder how they conclude that I'm misconduct in the work.
Service Canada might have called your employer. The contact information is written in the ROE that is given to you.
Feb 27, 2016
11 posts
Thank you very much for the reply. If I believe that is not correct how do I appeal and how much chance I can get a turnover?
Sep 11, 2011
317 posts
117 upvotes
typera wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 9:48 am
Thank you very much for the reply. If I believe that is not correct how do I appeal and how much chance I can get a turnover?
Fill out the appeal form as per the message.
Jan 8, 2014
137 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
I got a Claimant Information Session in the mail dated the last week of September. However I already stopped my EI payments since I have found a full time job since Mid September. Do I still need to attend this session? Is this mandatory like jury duty? The date of the information session is during work time and I would rather not miss half a day for this. Are claimant information sessions selected at random?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5083 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
cPadfoot wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 7:45 pm
I got a Claimant Information Session in the mail dated the last week of September. However I already stopped my EI payments since I have found a full time job since Mid September. Do I still need to attend this session? Is this mandatory like jury duty? The date of the information session is during work time and I would rather not miss half a day for this. Are claimant information sessions selected at random?
No, since you are no longer receiving EI payment
Oct 3, 2016
4 posts
HI I am into my 10th week of 40 on EI , still searching for job , I have to travel to u.s by car on weekend , had a question regarding this . if I leave on Thursday night around 8/9 pm and come back on sunday night , do I have to report on EI report out of county from friday to sunday or thursday also counts ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
peter2k16 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 11:45 am
HI I am into my 10th week of 40 on EI , still searching for job , I have to travel to u.s by car on weekend , had a question regarding this . if I leave on Thursday night around 8/9 pm and come back on sunday night , do I have to report on EI report out of county from friday to sunday or thursday also counts ?
Thursday counts
Feb 27, 2016
11 posts
I called the direct line of the handler, she said my case was passed to an agent to investigate why I got dismissed, and the message centre's message for misconduct is not correct and just a tag.

However, I logged on my account again and it changes from "not yet made a decision" to the following:

A review of the reason why you left your employment has been deferred while you are in receipt of special benefits.

It looks kind of draw back to the last status when I was receiving compassionate benefits?

And when I clicked on "View my current claim" it shows I'm "entitled to 17 weeks of regular benefits" that was not there before?

Does that means I got qualify for the benefit? Thanks.

Start Date of Claim: February 21, 2016
Waiting Period: February 21, 2016 to March 05, 2016
Reactivation Week: August 28, 2016
Type of Benefit: Regular benefits
Total Insurable Earnings: $8,872
Benefit Rate: $222
Federal Tax: $0
Total Insurable Hours: 965
Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement: 17
Weeks of compassionate care benefits paid: 25
Total Weeks Paid: 25
End Date of Claim: February 18, 2017 [1]
Last Report Processed: August 14, 2016 to August 27, 2016
Last Report Processed on: October 04, 2016
Other Monies:
Vacation pay: February 21, 2016 to February 27, 2016
Weekly Amount: $166
Oct 4, 2016
1 posts
I think mine is pretty straight forward
Was on sickness benefits from June 20th to September 27th. Had been on regular benefits 12 weeks prior to hospitalization
My wife became my rep as I was in a coma
Went to Service Canada office in Calgary the 27Th with letter from my wife releasing herself as rep Drs certificate for return to work
The Service Canada agent was more interested in talking about what it's like to be in a coma as opposed to my claim
Long story short he said he couldn't change claim there back to regular and sent everything off to ???
What time frame do I have in getting benefits back to regular
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
JamesC516831 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 12:35 pm
I think mine is pretty straight forward
Was on sickness benefits from June 20th to September 27th. Had been on regular benefits 12 weeks prior to hospitalization
My wife became my rep as I was in a coma
Went to Service Canada office in Calgary the 27Th with letter from my wife releasing herself as rep Drs certificate for return to work
The Service Canada agent was more interested in talking about what it's like to be in a coma as opposed to my claim
Long story short he said he couldn't change claim there back to regular and sent everything off to ???
What time frame do I have in getting benefits back to regular
Thanks
Up to 3 weeks. You can call in though, they may be able to convert on the phone
Nov 13, 2011
27 posts
7 upvotes
BURNABY
clseea wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 2:15 am
swordth wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 11:32 pm
Last week Monday I had an interview, this Friday I was laid off (temporarily), and this Wednesday I got a job offer from the company that interviewed me. I applied for EI the day I was laid off.

At the time of the interview, I told them I was employed full time, however I'm unemployed as of the job offer date. I'm worried that if I don't update the company on my employment status, that they will be able to find out that I am unemployed via my EI claim, and they may take that as me misleading them. I also don't want to tell them I'm unemployed now, since I would like the 2 week notice period off (unpaid, still in my EI-no-pay-period), to enjoy some vacation (which I haven't been able to take this year). Scuzzy, I know, but I'm burnt out and need some time.

Is it possible for a prospective company to know that I am on EI/applied for EI?
No.
Following up on this one.

I filed for EI, accepted the job, and started exactly 2 weeks after filing. I will not earn a single dollar from EI because of the 2 week "deductible" period.

I now want to let Service Canada know that I'm employed, so that they don't mistakenly pay me anything. When I file my weekly report, however, they ask:

"Provide the 10 digit phone number with area code of each employer for whom you worked during the period of this report.".

Well...I don't want to do that - I don't want them to call my new employer, and have them know I was laid off days after I got the job.

So my questions are:

1. If I put down their number, are they going to call?

2. If I simply fail to file anymore EI reports, will that cancel my claim without causing any issues?

3. Any other way to get around this?

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)