1894 posts
664 upvotes
swordth wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 9:03 pm
clseea wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 2:15 am
swordth wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 11:32 pm
Last week Monday I had an interview, this Friday I was laid off (temporarily), and this Wednesday I got a job offer from the company that interviewed me. I applied for EI the day I was laid off.

At the time of the interview, I told them I was employed full time, however I'm unemployed as of the job offer date. I'm worried that if I don't update the company on my employment status, that they will be able to find out that I am unemployed via my EI claim, and they may take that as me misleading them. I also don't want to tell them I'm unemployed now, since I would like the 2 week notice period off (unpaid, still in my EI-no-pay-period), to enjoy some vacation (which I haven't been able to take this year). Scuzzy, I know, but I'm burnt out and need some time.

Is it possible for a prospective company to know that I am on EI/applied for EI?
No.
Following up on this one.

I filed for EI, accepted the job, and started exactly 2 weeks after filing. I will not earn a single dollar from EI because of the 2 week "deductible" period.

I now want to let Service Canada know that I'm employed, so that they don't mistakenly pay me anything. When I file my weekly report, however, they ask:

"Provide the 10 digit phone number with area code of each employer for whom you worked during the period of this report.".

Well...I don't want to do that - I don't want them to call my new employer, and have them know I was laid off days after I got the job.

So my questions are:

1. If I put down their number, are they going to call?

2. If I simply fail to file anymore EI reports, will that cancel my claim without causing any issues?

3. Any other way to get around this?

Thanks.
They likely won't call. If I understand correctly, you got laid off and you're afraid you don't qualify anymore, or have you actually found full-time work?

If you stop reporting then you will no longer get paid and your claim will get suspended until you call in to restart it.
Jan 20, 2007
463 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara
I recently got laid off due to restructuring which makes me eligible for EI.

After vacation payout, severance and the 2 week wait period my EI should start at the beginning of December.

For tax reasons I would prefer it to start in January 2017 so I could potentially pay less income tax. Is there a way to delay the start of my benefits up to 4 weeks without reducing the total weeks (I think it'll come in around 38) being paid for the claim?
God always forgives. Man often forgives. Nature never forgives.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8409 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
ancodia wrote:
Oct 12th, 2016 4:40 pm
I recently got laid off due to restructuring which makes me eligible for EI.

After vacation payout, severance and the 2 week wait period my EI should start at the beginning of December.

For tax reasons I would prefer it to start in January 2017 so I could potentially pay less income tax. Is there a way to delay the start of my benefits up to 4 weeks without reducing the total weeks (I think it'll come in around 38) being paid for the claim?
The simplest thing would be to just declare you're unavailable
Oct 13, 2016
3 posts
If a person who is on e.i recieves a cheque but signs that cheque over to a person they owe money too. Does that person on e.i have to tell/report it to e.i about it such as "incoming monies"?? Or do they not have to due to they never came into money because they never cashed it themselves instead sighned it over to someone else...?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8409 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
nickhilll wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 3:44 pm
If a person who is on e.i recieves a cheque but signs that cheque over to a person they owe money too. Does that person on e.i have to tell/report it to e.i about it such as "incoming monies"?? Or do they not have to due to they never came into money because they never cashed it themselves instead sighned it over to someone else...?
Receives a cheque because......?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1894 posts
664 upvotes
nickhilll wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 3:44 pm
It has to be declared if it's monies from income.
Oct 13, 2016
3 posts
For example a one time cheque from an insurence company. But if the person who is on e.i doesnt cash it but gives it to someone to settle a debt, does that person on e.i have to report it as "monies"?.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8409 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
nickhilll wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 11:35 pm
For example a one time cheque from an insurence company. But if the person who is on e.i doesnt cash it but gives it to someone to settle a debt, does that person on e.i have to report it as "monies"?.
You're not explaining why you're receiving the money so just report it
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
I have a rather tough situation right now.

I've been on EI since April and interviewed for several jobs over the summer. My third choice gave me an offer while the other two companies took their time. So I accepted the offer believing this is the right thing to do.

Well about 1 week into my new job I got the offer from the employer I actually wanted to work for. With my current employer I am contractually obligated to give them 2 weeks notice. My start date at the new company is set for next week.

I suspect that my current employer is going to immediately terminate my employment should I talk to my boss and resign. There's no point in keeping me around for 2 weeks while I'm still in training, it's a waste of money. Can I report the money I earned last week in my upcoming EI report and simply remain on EI until I start the job I actually want? Or am I required to say I got a full time job in the report and terminate my EI payments?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1894 posts
664 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 2:07 pm
I have a rather tough situation right now.

I've been on EI since April and interviewed for several jobs over the summer. My third choice gave me an offer while the other two companies took their time. So I accepted the offer believing this is the right thing to do.

Well about 1 week into my new job I got the offer from the employer I actually wanted to work for. With my current employer I am contractually obligated to give them 2 weeks notice. My start date at the new company is set for next week.

I suspect that my current employer is going to immediately terminate my employment should I talk to my boss and resign. There's no point in keeping me around for 2 weeks while I'm still in training, it's a waste of money. Can I report the money I earned last week in my upcoming EI report and simply remain on EI until I start the job I actually want? Or am I required to say I got a full time job in the report and terminate my EI payments?
You need to accurately report what happened. You haven't been fired yet so who knows. On your report just report you hours and earnings. If you do get fired/quit you will have to declare that and it will have to be adjudicated as such.

Even if you report you've found a full-time job, you can still reopen a claim as that just suspends your benefits. I'm not really too sure why you're so worried about this if you're starting another job right away?
Oct 13, 2016
3 posts
Recieving a cheque from closing an insurence account. But the person on e.i isint cashing it instead has to sign it over to someone else to settle a debt. Does it still have to be reported as "monies" and since its not income? And the person on e.i doesnt actually keep the money...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1894 posts
664 upvotes
nickhilll wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 11:47 pm
Recieving a cheque from closing an insurence account. But the person on e.i isint cashing it instead has to sign it over to someone else to settle a debt. Does it still have to be reported as "monies" and since its not income? And the person on e.i doesnt actually keep the money...
So we understand you're getting a cheque from insurance. You're not telling us what this money is for. WHY are you getting money. Is it life insurance you've paid into and are taking your investment out or some other form of insurance you're cashing an investment from? Without us knowing why you're getting the money we can't give you an answer. You should declare it anyways and have them sort it out. If it's not money from employment earnings then it likely wouldn't be deducted but as we don't really know what it's for we can't give you a proper answer.

It doesn't matter if you 'keep' the money or not. It's still yours. That's like saying you shouldn't have to report money from a job if you're giving it away to someone else. It doesn't matter what you do with the money after you get it, it just maters that you received the money in general and why you were receiving it.
Jun 20, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
I'm worried about it because I don't think I'll be able to start the new position immediately. That leaves me with at least 6-7 days I won't be paid for while I wait for that job to start. I guarantee my current employer won't allow me to work during the notice period. It might happen but I'm betting that it won't.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1894 posts
664 upvotes
Flieger wrote:
Oct 16th, 2016 11:24 am
I'm worried about it because I don't think I'll be able to start the new position immediately. That leaves me with at least 6-7 days I won't be paid for while I wait for that job to start. I guarantee my current employer won't allow me to work during the notice period. It might happen but I'm betting that it won't.
Quitting to accept another job is an acceptable circumstance for voluntarily leaving from work. You would likely be eligible to collect benefits for the week you're off however you are required to report that you quit from your job when and if that happens.

You need to do this because that employer will send in an ROE stating you quit so one way or another Service Canada would find out.
Mar 18, 2016
5 posts
Hi Experts,

I'm currently on maternity leave -- at what point am I allowed to do some work and get paid for it without impacting how much I get from my EI payments?

Thank you!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)