• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2019 6:11 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2132 posts
1187 upvotes
leoben wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2016 3:50 pm
Hello, a couple of years ago i went on a personal leave to pursue a graduate degree, and while i was on my leave my employer filled my position and i was left with no job when i returned from my leave. at the moment i am looking for a job and wondering if i have any chance getting EI, whether service canada makes a case by case decision or is one automatically denied if he or she has not worked in the last 52 weeks? i called service canada and the lady said if i had applied before 52 weeks i might have had a chance, but then i was still in school full time (abroad) and was not looking for a job so i am not sure how that makes sense..
You don't have enough hours so you're not eligible. The hour requirement is a black and white issue. No point in wasting your time. Ontario Works might be a more suitable option for you.
Nov 3, 2016
2 posts
I got 697 hours in the last 52 weeks, they denied my application saying I need 700 hours. Ottawa's rate is between 6.1 and 7. The site says 665 hours needed. Did the number of hours needed somehow go up? Would they deny the reconsideration if I'm missing three hours if it was somehow 700 needed?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2132 posts
1187 upvotes
dipset91 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 5:25 am
I got 697 hours in the last 52 weeks, they denied my application saying I need 700 hours. Ottawa's rate is between 6.1 and 7. The site says 665 hours needed. Did the number of hours needed somehow go up? Would they deny the reconsideration if I'm missing three hours if it was somehow 700 needed?
It's 700 hours. Unless you have 700 hours you won't qualify. You could have 699 hours and you would still not qualify. They would deny your reconsidation as you don't have the hours. It's not subjective. You either have it or you don't. Not sure where you got your information from. But here it is below.

EI Economic Region of Ottawa:

Unemployment Rate & Benefit Table
(for the period of October 9, 2016 to November 5, 2016)

Unemployment Rate: 5.9
Number of Insured Hours Required to Qualify for Regular Benefits: 700
Minimum Number of Weeks Payable for Regular Benefits: 14
Maximum Number of Weeks Payable for Regular Benefits: 36

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8703 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
dipset91 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 5:25 am
When did you stop working and when did you apply?
Jan 18, 2013
9 posts
Hello,

I am on EI and have been reporting my earnings while working, as required, whether I worked 0, 20 or 80 hours in a week. Now I have been laid off in a pay period and reporting period when I had zero earnings but an accumulated vacation payout. The vacation pay will show up on my ROE. The reporting rules say to include any vacation pay in my weekly earnings even if I don't receive the vacation pay yet so I have been including it in my reports. I have enough insurable hours to start a new claim but I will continue on my current claim. So my question is about how to report this vacation pay.

I have already included the vacation pay in my bi-weekly reports as earned but not received. I have also reported it in my new claim application as it shows up in my ROE. Do I have to report this vacation pay as "other monies" and then call to explain what they are and how much? I would think they are being double-counted if they are counted as new income and count against my current EI benefit. Or would they delay a benefit from a new claim?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5484 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
Kuya101 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 5:57 pm
Hello,

I am on EI and have been reporting my earnings while working, as required, whether I worked 0, 20 or 80 hours in a week. Now I have been laid off in a pay period and reporting period when I had zero earnings but an accumulated vacation payout. The vacation pay will show up on my ROE. The reporting rules say to include any vacation pay in my weekly earnings even if I don't receive the vacation pay yet so I have been including it in my reports. I have enough insurable hours to start a new claim but I will continue on my current claim. So my question is about how to report this vacation pay.

I have already included the vacation pay in my bi-weekly reports as earned but not received. I have also reported it in my new claim application as it shows up in my ROE. Do I have to report this vacation pay as "other monies" and then call to explain what they are and how much? I would think they are being double-counted if they are counted as new income and count against my current EI benefit. Or would they delay a benefit from a new claim?
Vacation pay = other monies which you will receive later
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8703 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
Kuya101 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 5:57 pm
Hello,

If it's on your ROE don't bother reporting it
Oct 23, 2013
31 posts
12 upvotes
Arviat
Hello

i have a quick question which might be a novice one:

i opened an EI claim two weeks ago and i got eligibility up till november 2017.

i have been told that if i find a job and i get laid off again lets say, i can go back to that claim and re-activate and resume the remaining time and amount in terms of benefit.

my question is: if i find a job and i dont like it and i quit , can i activate that claim back or i wouldnt be eligible since im the one who quit ? please note that there is already a claim open and approved for me which i deactivate it when i found the job that im not sure im going to like.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5484 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
RandomHero wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 3:22 pm
Hello

i have a quick question which might be a novice one:

i opened an EI claim two weeks ago and i got eligibility up till november 2017.

i have been told that if i find a job and i get laid off again lets say, i can go back to that claim and re-activate and resume the remaining time and amount in terms of benefit.

my question is: if i find a job and i dont like it and i quit , can i activate that claim back or i wouldnt be eligible since im the one who quit ? please note that there is already a claim open and approved for me which i deactivate it when i found the job that im not sure im going to like.

Thanks
Once you reported that you found a job service canada close your existing claim. You need to submit a new ROE to have your file re-open, if the new ROE stated you quit then bye bye to your already approved claim.
Nov 6, 2016
2 posts
1 upvote
Hello
Just a quick question:

I'm currently employed in a Part Time government contract however this past week my employer changed my schedule in order to accommodate other employees vacation requests. As a result I was left without work for 7 days(through no fault of my own). If I intend to resume work at said job after these 7 days am I entitled to EI benefits(after serving my two week waiting period) although I did not lose my job a reduction in hours did occur. I've never claimed before an am uncertain how the process works so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 7, 2016
2 posts
Hello,

My mom works in retail. Recently her manager left the company and a new manager started. She has been written up twice since, for reasons like sitting down when there are no customers around ( She's 55 and has a bad back). Her sales numbers are good, she's always on time but the new manager seems determined to get rid of her. She's been with the company for 8 years, and terrified that she's going to get fired. Would she be eligible for EI if she's fired for these kind of reasons?
Nov 6, 2016
2 posts
Here's a question. My husband was on medical leave for several weeks for a disability, during which time he was claiming EI sick benefits. When he informed his work when he'd be able to return, they claimed his position was no longer available and that he was terminated.

He was officially terminated on the same day that his doctor cleared him for returning to work. When his work filed his ROE, they amended the ROE for his medical leave that had illness or injury as the reason for filing the ROE, rather than filing a new ROE that would have shortage of work ("A" in box 16) as the reason. Because of how they amended this ROE, it appears that his pay in lieu of notice/severance package is payment for the dates of this amended ROE. This means that EI is about to ask for every cent of the benefits he received during his medical leave back. We've already seen this decision in his online records, we're just waiting for the official letter to arrive.

His work claims that EI told them to amend the medical leave ROE because there was no new starting date to start a new one, so now he has no ROE that shows he was actually terminated. The closest thing that he has showing his termination is them putting that he was laid off in box 18 for comments. How can this be right? We have his copy of the termination papers. Can this be fixed?
Nov 6, 2016
2 posts
I spoke to EI this morning (couldn't get through yesterday) and they said that this is indeed incorrect. He was still employed by them during his medical leave, and the payment he received should not apply until his actual date of termination. This has to be changed by people higher up than who you talk to on the phone, so we will check his account online and call them back if no change has happened within two weeks.

It's kind of crazy that for as many questions and examples exist online about being let go during or after a medical leave, there is zero information that I could find about how an ROE should be filed in that scenario.
Dec 5, 2009
9 posts
13 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yes if your mom is fired she can apply for EI. This does not mean that your mother will get EI but she can still apply. She will have to explain her side to the story. If she is denied then she can go back and fight it.

Employers can not terminate employees for disabilities, age, or gender.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
What is the 2016 and 2017 after tax take home amount from EI (what is take home every two weeks?)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)