Dec 5, 2009
9 posts
13 upvotes
Winnipeg
"

Lucibelle
Nov 8, 2016
2 posts

Here's a question. My husband was on medical leave for several weeks for a disability, during which time he was claiming EI sick benefits. When he informed his work when he'd be able to return, they claimed his position was no longer available and that he was terminated.

He was officially terminated on the same day that his doctor cleared him for returning to work. When his work filed his ROE, they amended the ROE for his medical leave that had illness or injury as the reason for filing the ROE, rather than filing a new ROE that would have shortage of work ("A" in box 16) as the reason. Because of how they amended this ROE, it appears that his pay in lieu of notice/severance package is payment for the dates of this amended ROE. This means that EI is about to ask for every cent of the benefits he received during his medical leave back. We've already seen this decision in his online records, we're just waiting for the official letter to arrive.

His work claims that EI told them to amend the medical leave ROE because there was no new starting date to start a new one, so now he has no ROE that shows he was actually terminated. The closest thing that he has showing his termination is them putting that he was laid off in box 18 for comments. How can this be right? We have his copy of the termination papers. Can this be fixed?"
-

Your husband should go back to his work and ask for new EI papers stating that there is shortage of work or allow him back to work because he is now better.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1945 posts
723 upvotes
nrcoughlin12 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 7:44 am
Hello
Just a quick question:

I'm currently employed in a Part Time government contract however this past week my employer changed my schedule in order to accommodate other employees vacation requests. As a result I was left without work for 7 days(through no fault of my own). If I intend to resume work at said job after these 7 days am I entitled to EI benefits(after serving my two week waiting period) although I did not lose my job a reduction in hours did occur. I've never claimed before an am uncertain how the process works so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.
You can apply when there is 7 consecutive days of no work. You would need to request an ROE from your employer. You would then report your hours and earnings so you would likely not be eligible for any benefits unless this type of scenario comes up again. Once you apply for benefits you 'use up' all of your accumulated hours to date. So I'm not too sure what the point of having a claim would be unless you're expecting a decrease in hours in the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1945 posts
723 upvotes
usernametakenagain wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 12:19 am
Hello,

My mom works in retail. Recently her manager left the company and a new manager started. She has been written up twice since, for reasons like sitting down when there are no customers around ( She's 55 and has a bad back). Her sales numbers are good, she's always on time but the new manager seems determined to get rid of her. She's been with the company for 8 years, and terrified that she's going to get fired. Would she be eligible for EI if she's fired for these kind of reasons?
She can apply regardless of why she's terminated. The officer would have to make a decision on her claim. If she is terminated for cause they will have rot review those reasons and make a determination on whether the cause was valid or not (for example, are there polices surrounding the reasons for the write up, are retail associates required to stand at all times...etc).

She may likely be eligible if she does get terminated if it wasn't for just cause. FYI I would advise her that quitting would likely make her ineligible for benefits.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1835 posts
159 upvotes
Ottawa
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 9:23 am
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 8:57 am
I was getting paid EI Benefits and all was good. I was applying for government jobs as my previous 1 jobs were in the government. I got a call from a former employer to work as a delivery driver for a week. So on my report I stated I was self employed and worked that one week. It was like a one time thing or on call thing. Now my case is suspended for 21 days with stop payment.

Why is that and what do you think the outcome will be. I thought I would just not get paid for that week when I worked there.
Because you declared you're self employed. Self employment is not insurabel employment and if you're self employed you're not eligible for benefits.

Obviously this is not the case. It would have been more accurate to report just the hours and earnings you had for that week.

You could call in to the hotline and state you made a mistake...

Being self employed has to be adjudicated to see what affect that has on your claim (i.e. If you're running your own business you wouldn't have time to be available/look for insurable employment and as such you would be disqualified).

The 21 days is the processing time frame for that decision.
So its been past 21 days and still not heard anything from EI. How would I have reported just the hours and earnings for that week. I thought that is what I did because the application said how many hours you worked from Sunday-Saturday and what my earnings were. What would have been different if I did not click self-employed? Would they have then still not pay me until it gets adjudicated? Would they contact the employer and ask them questions?
Nov 7, 2016
4 posts
Hello all!

I am new member to this forum and have been reading up tremendously on a lot of the information provided. It is very useful and I thank all of you in advance for your contribution. I have a specific situation that is related to Employment Insurance and I am hoping that my situation can be clarified by someone on this site. Here it is:

I was let go by my employer over a month ago due to a lack of work. According to Service Canada, I have way more than enough insurable hours and it was recently confirmed that I eligible to receive employment insurance while I find new employment.

On Friday evenings after work, I usually drive to Vermont to see my girlfriends family (They have a cottage in Vermont and live in Canada). We stay until Sunday afternoon, so I am always back for Monday. I am serious about finding new employment and will definitely be working regular working hours to find something (I.e Monday to Friday). I spoke to a Service Canada Agent and he gave me information that based on the fact that I am going to Visit Friends and Family and will be out of the country for less than 24hours (weekends don't count), I should be fine. I will notify service Canada each time before I cross the border, I.e most Fridays.

Question 1: Will I lose out on benefits for Friday if I cross the border in the evening and return Sunday.
Question 2: Will Service Canada flag me and remove my benefits as a whole if I am leaving Canada most Friday evenings (i.e 3/4 weekends in any given month)
Question 3: Is there a specific time that I should cross the border? When I was working, we usually would cross the border around 6-7 pm as I'd leave straight from work and already have all of our stuff packed.
Question 4: For the purpose of having to leave the country, are we allowed to work hours different than the normal (i.e different than the regular 9am-5pm). For example: Am I able to work (8am-4pm or 7am-3pm) on a Friday to avoid Traffic at the border?
Question 5: In Vermont, I have access to phone, internet and I always bring a laptop. If the 24 hour rule does apply (Based on the fact that I am visiting friends and family), If I leave earlier on a Friday and tell service canada that I will be working on finding a new during the day in Vermont, will I lose benefits? Technically If I crossed the border at noon, worked in Vermont looking for employment in Canada and came back Sunday, I wouldn't be over the 24hour rule.

I go most weekends and I don't want to be paid if I may have to repay these amounts (Plus interest) in the future. With that being said, I want to follow the rules exactly, I am just a bit worried that I will be paid for each Friday now and notified a year or two down the road that I owe each Friday back.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Nov 7, 2016
4 posts
Hello all!

I am new member to this forum and have been reading up tremendously on a lot of the information provided. It is very useful and I thank all of you in advance for your contribution. I have a specific situation that is related to Employment Insurance and I am hoping that my situation can be clarified by someone on this site. Here it is:

I was let go by my employer over a month ago due to a lack of work. According to Service Canada, I have way more than enough insurable hours and it was recently confirmed that I eligible to receive employment insurance while I find new employment.

On Friday evenings after work, I usually drive to Vermont to see my girlfriends family (They have a cottage in Vermont and live in Canada). We stay until Sunday afternoon, so I am always back for Monday. I am serious about finding new employment and will definitely be working regular working hours to find something (I.e Monday to Friday). I spoke to a Service Canada Agent and he gave me information that based on the fact that I am going to Visit Friends and Family and will be out of the country for less than 24hours (weekends don't count), I should be fine. I will notify service Canada each time before I cross the border, I.e most Fridays.

Question 1: Will I lose out on benefits for Friday if I cross the border in the evening and return Sunday.
Question 2: Will Service Canada flag me and remove my benefits as a whole if I am leaving Canada most Friday evenings (i.e 3/4 weekends in any given month)
Question 3: Is there a specific time that I should cross the border? When I was working, we usually would cross the border around 6-7 pm as I'd leave straight from work and already have all of our stuff packed.
Question 4: For the purpose of having to leave the country, are we allowed to work hours different than the normal (i.e different than the regular 9am-5pm). For example: Am I able to work (8am-4pm or 7am-3pm) on a Friday to avoid Traffic at the border?
Question 5: In Vermont, I have access to phone, internet and I always bring a laptop. If the 24 hour rule does apply (Based on the fact that I am visiting friends and family), If I leave earlier on a Friday and tell service canada that I will be working on finding a new during the day in Vermont, will I lose benefits? Technically If I crossed the border at noon, worked in Vermont looking for employment in Canada and came back Sunday, I wouldn't be over the 24hour rule.

I go most weekends and I don't want to be paid if I may have to repay these amounts (Plus interest) in the future. With that being said, I want to follow the rules exactly, I am just a bit worried that I will be paid for each Friday now and notified a year or two down the road that I owe each Friday back.

Nov 3, 2016
2 posts
I stopped working August 12 when the hours needed were 665 but applied September 14 when the hours needed went up to 700. I applied when I got my ROE.
Nov 7, 2016
1 posts
i just finished my parental benefit and working full time i am pregnant again what are the no of hours required to submit a new claim or they will look at some thing else
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1945 posts
723 upvotes
dipset91 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 5:38 pm
I stopped working August 12 when the hours needed were 665 but applied September 14 when the hours needed went up to 700. I applied when I got my ROE.
It's calculated based on when you apply.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1945 posts
723 upvotes
sham123456 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 5:51 pm
i just finished my parental benefit and working full time i am pregnant again what are the no of hours required to submit a new claim or they will look at some thing else
You need 600 hours for special benefits (maternity/parental).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8451 posts
1452 upvotes
Edmonton
Bamelin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 10:45 am
What is the 2016 and 2017 after tax take home amount from EI (what is take home every two weeks?)
That depends on your benefit rate and your specific claim
Nov 7, 2016
4 posts
Any update on?
Thanks in advance

Hello all!

Sep 11, 2011
309 posts
112 upvotes
SillyRabbit14 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 10:19 am
Any update on?
Thanks in advance

Hello all!

All the answers to your questions are here.....

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/reports/ei/dig ... e#a10_12_2
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1307 posts
215 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 8:54 pm
Bamelin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 10:45 am
What is the 2016 and 2017 after tax take home amount from EI (what is take home every two weeks?)
That depends on your benefit rate and your specific claim
Regular claim max rate
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8451 posts
1452 upvotes
Edmonton
Bamelin wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 4:28 pm
Regular claim max rate
There's more to it than that so I'll ballpark $50-$75 off in tax per week.