Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 10:54 am
Nov 10, 2016
2 posts
Hello,

I am curious about the following scenarios:

1. If I am eligible to get EI benefits starting January and accept a new job that starts in April, will I be able to collect in the time between?

2. If I accept a job offer, then decline that and accept a better one, that say starts in April, will I be able to collect benefits in that same January - April time?

Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
bde123 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 5:13 pm
Hello,

1. If I am eligible to get EI benefits starting January and accept a new job that starts in April, will I be able to collect in the time between?

2. If I accept a job offer, then decline that and accept a better one, that say starts in April, will I be able to collect benefits in that same January - April time?

Thank you.
1. Provided youre still meeting the criteria for regular benefits, yes. You still need to be looking for work etc like normal

2. Depends when the first job was supposed to start in comparison. You can't decline a more immediate job and collect EI until your more favored job starts. It would make more sense to accept both, start the first job and quit it once the second job is set to start. Although that may screw over the first employer... Different discussion
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5372 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto
Radoslava81 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 3:39 pm
Hi everyone,
My husband was taking sikness benefits
for burnout. On the last visit to his doctor, he gave him a note stayting my husband can go back to work, but with a transitional period where he should be working either from home or on no more than 30h per week. The HR of the company said they can't do that because they need a full time on site employe. So, they basicaly laid him of and on the ROI for a reason they put, other: see medical note.immediately after that he applied for regular EI, it took almost 2 months for Service Canada to take desicion. They called him today and said they are denying because he is not available to work fulltime. We were counting on the EI, all savings are already gone. He is desperately looking for another job, because going back to the old place is not an option.What can we do in this case? Appeal?
I think you should ask your doctor for supporting documents regarding his health problem (e.g. why he can only work 30 hours or work from home), then you can make an appeal by submitting the doctor note.

I am not sure if the following still exist as of current date, but I have make a sick leave claim in 2004 for more than 15 weeks.
If a person is on sick leave for more than 15 weeks, the leave will be regular EI claim after that. So how long was your husband is on sick leave?
Nov 15, 2016
5 posts
cgtlky, thanks for the reply.
The doctor put those conditions on the the note, because in his oppinion after going through a lot of stress and being burned out, a person, in this case my husband need to slowly transition into the work flow to prevent an eventual burn out again.
As for the duration of the sickness benefit, he took it for 16 weeks, after which the doctor said he can slowly start to work again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5372 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto
Radoslava81 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 6:00 pm
cgtlky, thanks for the reply.
The doctor put those conditions on the the note, because in his opinion after going through a lot of stress and being burned out, a person, in this case my husband need to slowly transition into the work flow to prevent an eventual burn out again.
As for the duration of the sickness benefit, he took it for 16 weeks, after which the doctor said he can slowly start to work again.
His doctor clear him to work on a part-time basis so, Service Canada decision is correct. But it worth try to appeal the decision since it a health related issue and not because your husband does not want to work full-time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5372 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto
bde123 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 5:13 pm
Hello,

Thank you.
1. Have you told SC that you have found a job that will start on April? If not, then as long you continue to file your bi-weekly report then you will still get your EI entitlement.

2. If you accept a job offer but did not show up at work then it is consider no job, the company basically does not know that you are on EI (unless you told them).
Nov 15, 2016
5 posts
Yeah, this how it was explaint to my husband. My husband just came home and said that he spoke with a second agent, who has told him that the case won't be closed, and they will revise it if the doctor give him a note stating he can work full time, or if he can prove ( a history of job applications) that he is applying for a full time job position. It is somehow sad that they make people sacrifice their health, but what can you do...rent has to be paid...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Radoslava81 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 8:01 pm
Yeah, this how it was explaint to my husband. My husband just came home and said that he spoke with a second agent, who has told him that the case won't be closed, and they will revise it if the doctor give him a note stating he can work full time, or if he can prove ( a history of job applications) that he is applying for a full time job position. It is somehow sad that they make people sacrifice their health, but what can you do...rent has to be paid...
They're not making anyone sacrifice their health. Either you can work full time or you can't
Oct 17, 2015
260 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am being forced to do work that is not part of the job I have been doing for almost 19 years. Otherwise I have been told that I will be terminated. Obviously they want to force me to accept different work or get lost without any severance.
I have tried very hard to explain to them that they can not change my job like this but situation is dire. They themselves have no choice due to financial and business reasons.
I can't take it any more. I don't want to make life miserable for them by trying to be a bad worker. I have always been an honest straight forward person and hate to play games.
Is there any way I can (pre) report this to EI so as to let them know that I am forced to quit and will need EI soon?
Is there anything else you would do in similar situation (copy records, communications etc. to show to EI later on)?
can somebody please advise?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
AdsJoint wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 8:19 pm
I am being forced to do work that is not part of the job I have been doing for almost 19 years. Otherwise I have been told that I will be terminated. Obviously they want to force me to accept different work or get lost without any severance.
I have tried very hard to explain to them that they can not change my job like this but situation is dire. They themselves have no choice due to financial and business reasons.
I can't take it any more. I don't want to make life miserable for them by trying to be a bad worker. I have always been an honest straight forward person and hate to play games.
Is there any way I can (pre) report this to EI so as to let them know that I am forced to quit and will need EI soon?
Is there anything else you would do in similar situation (copy records, communications etc. to show to EI later on)?
can somebody please advise?
What's the change in job duties?
Nov 14, 2016
5 posts
Hi thank you for the speedy response:

If I may clarify:

1) it's was a permanent full time position to another permanent full time position, just closer to home.

2) I didn't take the day off, I lugged myself in to work sniffling and coughing. I left after lunch after notifying my employer via email as per their policy. I have pretty defeated physically and couldn't tough it out any longer. I am not sure how that is misconduct? When your health is on the line, I went straight to my doctors office.

Please further clarify, thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
Lynz86 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 8:28 pm
Hi thank you for the speedy response:

If I may clarify:

1) it's was a permanent full time position to another permanent full time position, just closer to home.

2) I didn't take the day off, I lugged myself in to work sniffling and coughing. I left after lunch after notifying my employer via email as per their policy. I have pretty defeated physically and couldn't tough it out any longer. I am not sure how that is misconduct? When your health is on the line, I went straight to my doctors office.

Please further clarify, thank you!
1. Won't have an issue with that then

2. So their policy was to simply email and that's it?
Nov 15, 2016
5 posts
Well, they kinda do. In my husband's case, he basicaly lost his job, because he is not well enough to go back and work full time, and the employer doesn't want to hear anything, we are talking 30h instead of 40h, just for the first 2-3 months, it is not such a big difference. Then Service Canada, says no, and my husband is obligated to take the next available job even if it is 50h per week, beacuse there aren't any other options, and as you all know there is nothing free now a days. Anyways we'll figure it out somehow! The whole situation is just a prove that the government doesn't stay behind it's people and is fast and accurate only when taking money every month from people's paychecks!
Eitherway thanks for your answers and help!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1181 upvotes
Radoslava81 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 8:39 pm
Well, they kinda do. In my husband's case, he basicaly lost his job, because he is not well enough to go back and work full time, and the employer doesn't want to hear anything, we are talking 30h instead of 40h, just for the first 2-3 months, it is not such a big difference. Then Service Canada, says no, and my husband is obligated to take the next available job even if it is 50h per week, beacuse there aren't any other options, and as you all know there is nothing free now a days. Anyways we'll figure it out somehow! The whole situation is just a prove that the government doesn't stay behind it's people and is fast and accurate only when taking money every month from people's paychecks!
Eitherway thanks for your answers and help!
Well they paid him to be off work for 15 weeks, which would have exceeded his EI contributions for the last 8-9 years so I wouldn't be so quick to saying that the Government is just looking to take people's money. Rules are in place so people don't abuse the system more than what already happens.

Unfortunately sick benefits are only for 15 weeks. He is not working as a result of his illness after the 15 weeks which is why he's no longer eligible for regular benefits. You have to be willing and able to work full-time to be eligible for regular benefits. Until he is fit for full time work, he is not eligible for benefits plain and simple. You can appeal the decision but I'm not sure on what grounds you would appeal. He used up all his weeks of sick benefits and based on availability, does not meet the requirements for regular benefits.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1768 posts
454 upvotes
North York
My father is 8 weeks away from finishing receiving the entirety of his EI. His former employer who let go 50+ workers, along with my father, is choosing to pay a third of his severance now. The remainder to paid in two other amounts until Jan.

1) EI will likely ask for money back depending on the amount of his severance right?
2) Let's say he gets 15 weeks of pay as severance, would EI extend his claim for another 15 weeks in addition to his original claim if he still can't find work?
3) I don't even know what to do for him. His English is terrible so I'm trying to make sense of it all so I can call and ask the right questions.

Thanks, RFD Community!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)