Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Sep 5, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
York
"Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;"

it say on the CERB website that if you were receiving EI from Dec 29-2019 and onward, and it finish. Yet still havent been able to find a job, does it mean you qualify for CERB?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got another 1000$ today? So far i have 1500 (500 x 3) + 2000 + 1000

applied for EI on Mar 23
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
johnnyy wrote: "Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;"

it say on the CERB website that if you were receiving EI from Dec 29-2019 and onward, and it finish. Yet still havent been able to find a job, does it mean you qualify for CERB?
Assuming you meet the rest of the requirements
Sep 5, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
York
clseea wrote: Assuming you meet the rest of the requirements
submitting ROE to service canada, does it have to be the original copy? I apply for EI about a month ago and mailed in the ROE, 2 days ago on my service canada account, it shows that they didnt receive the ROE
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
johnnyy wrote: submitting ROE to service canada, does it have to be the original copy? I apply for EI about a month ago and mailed in the ROE, 2 days ago on my service canada account, it shows that they didnt receive the ROE
It needs to be the Employee copy yes
If you mailed it 2 days ago it's not going to show up on the system yet.
Sep 5, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
York
clseea wrote: It needs to be the Employee copy yes
If you mailed it 2 days ago it's not going to show up on the system yet.
sorry i meant, 2 days ago my file got updated saying ROE not received, but i sent in the ROE on March 23. however it was a photocopy. Should i submit again with the original?

I was thinking of just leaving the application and apply for CERB, is that possible?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
Lost two jobs, applied for EI on April 8th. Application is pending. Already received $2k CERB payout.
One of my employers will have no more work for me until September at least. The other has now redeployed me for different work starting tomorrow, more hours but less hourly pay. My new income will be half of what my combined income used to be. What does this mean for my EI claim? Will I be booted off of EI? Am I still eligible for any sort of top-up?
Dec 3, 2003
25 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
supermike wrote: This is unbelievable! I have been trying for 1 week! no luck. I have to listen to all messages and input all info again and again, and they hang up on me coz of high volume! This is driving me crazy!

I understand it is difficult time. But those agents still finish work 4:30PM ! Can they just work overtime during this difficult time? I haven't had income for more than 1 month!
Do not be surprised and angry. I tried to call them for more than one month from in the middle of March, from 8:30 to 4:30, at he first I could hear the music for whold day. From April, changed to is "Due to high call volume, we can't pick up your call, pleae call agian later." I already gived up. I have no income at all for one month already. So sad. Those ones applied after Mar. 15, got $3000 already.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
lucysong010 wrote: Do not be surprised and angry. I tried to call them for more than one month from in the middle of March, from 8:30 to 4:30, at he first I could hear the music for whold day. From April, changed to is "Due to high call volume, we can't pick up your call, pleae call agian later." I already gived up. I have no income at all for one month already. So sad. Those ones applied after Mar. 15, got $3000 already.
Go speak to your MP, like I've suggested numerous times
Dec 3, 2003
25 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
clseea wrote: Go speak to your MP, like I've suggested numerous times
I did. After that I only got a call from Service Canada, to verify my termination pay amount which already in the system in January and verified before. I aksed when my report issue will be solved and get my EI, the lady let me wait for anotehr 1-2 weeks. SHe can not sovle it. That's it. I am still waiting.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
lucysong010 wrote: I did. After that I only got a call from Service Canada, to verify my termination pay amount which already in the system in January and verified before. I aksed when my report issue will be solved and get my EI, the lady let me wait for anotehr 1-2 weeks. SHe can not sovle it. That's it. I am still waiting.
Follow up with your MP. I would be contacting them every day until it's resolved.
Sep 5, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
York
anyone know the address to submit ROE to service canada?
Dec 3, 2003
25 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
clseea wrote: Follow up with your MP. I would be contacting them every day until it's resolved.
Thank you. Will do.
Apr 10, 2020
28 posts
3 upvotes
I hope everybody is doing ok during these times. I appreciate all of the help provided in this and the CERB thread.

I was laid off on March 16. I applied for EI on April 13 and then after checking a few days later I saw that the waiting period was waived and the type of benefit I would be receiving is Employment Insurance Emergency Response Benefit. Based on that, does that mean I got switched over to CERB? I had to complete reports like regular EI which I have completed 3 for past periods.

I saw today that I received $2000 and my CRA account shows the following payments:

Report Covering Period-----------------------Net Amount Paid
April 12, 2020 to April 18, 2020---------------------$500
April 05, 2020 to April 11, 2020---------------------$500
March 29, 2020 to April 04, 2020------------------ $500
March 22, 2020 to March 28, 2020-----------------$500

Now, even though my last day was March 16, my ROE actually said March 23. I think I still meet the criteria of 14 days of no income during the March 15, 2020 to April 11, 2020 period. Should I get this fixed or is this normal? It seems like people are getting another payment after the initial $2000.

Are people that applied directly for CERB not having to fill out reports? Did I screw up by applying for EI instead of CERB?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sterlob wrote: I hope everybody is doing ok during these times. I appreciate all of the help provided in this and the CERB thread.

I was laid off on March 16. I applied for EI on April 13 and then after checking a few days later I saw that the waiting period was waived and the type of benefit I would be receiving is Employment Insurance Emergency Response Benefit. Based on that, does that mean I got switched over to CERB? I had to complete reports like regular EI which I have completed 3 for past periods.

I saw today that I received $2000 and my CRA account shows the following payments:

Report Covering Period-----------------------Net Amount Paid
April 12, 2020 to April 18, 2020---------------------$500
April 05, 2020 to April 11, 2020---------------------$500
March 29, 2020 to April 04, 2020------------------ $500
March 22, 2020 to March 28, 2020-----------------$500

Now, even though my last day was March 16, my ROE actually said March 23. I think I still meet the criteria of 14 days of no income during the March 15, 2020 to April 11, 2020 period. Should I get this fixed or is this normal? It seems like people are getting another payment after the initial $2000.

Are people that applied directly for CERB not having to fill out reports? Did I screw up by applying for EI instead of CERB?
You will receive reg EI once your CERB are all paid out, given you are still unemployed
Sep 21, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
Grimsby
I was laid off in February. Termination payments biweekly until March 30.

Began a new job March 1, laid off from that job March 15 due to covid.

I am a single mom who does need the CERB due to childcare. I applied through EI and was rolled into the CERB program.

Received my CERB payment.... Followed by an EI payment the very next week.
Sep 5, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
York
I need to send in my ROE however the location in Ontario is temp close

can i still send it there and someone will process it?
Apr 20, 2020
4 posts
Just joined today because I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, and the wait times when calling EI are insane right now.
Semi-unique situation for my wife... she is a care aide here in Victoria, BC, and she normally works at 2 different care homes during the week - casual part-time at an assisted-living care home as well as permanent full-time at a long-term care home. Regulations passed in BC last month (as in many other provinces) now prohibit care aides from working in more than one care facility while COVID-19 is still an issue. So she is no longer currently working at the assisted living care home ... a temporary layoff, as they are union, and she technically didn't stop working there by choice (government directive). She still has the full-time job, but has lost income from the other job (about 40% of her total income) through no fault of her own. She is not eligible for the CERB as she is making more than $1000/month. Also, technically, she is not eligible for EI since she still has some income (has not completely lost all employment). While I understand and agree that this particular government directive is absolutely appropriate under the circumstances, I can't help but feel that she is getting shortchanged as she is an essential worker that has lost a good portion of her income, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get compensation for that, even if just a little bit. Is there any chance that EI could be collected at all in this case, or is she one of the many people that has "fallen through the cracks" in the government's response to COVID-19? Your thoughts are sincerely appreciated ... thanks :)
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
johnnyy wrote: I need to send in my ROE however the location in Ontario is temp close

can i still send it there and someone will process it?
Your employer shouldve submitted your RoE electronically
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
krisylm wrote: I was laid off in February. Termination payments biweekly until March 30.

Began a new job March 1, laid off from that job March 15 due to covid.

I am a single mom who does need the CERB due to childcare. I applied through EI and was rolled into the CERB program.

Received my CERB payment.... Followed by an EI payment the very next week.
Are u getting 500$ biweekly? I seem to be getting CERB ei style, a couple days after doing the bi weekly reports. People who applied to Cerb directly gets a 2000$ lump payment