• Nov 11th, 2019 9:17 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
townie22 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:29 am
in a bit of a panic here. i was laid off on Nov. 11, found out i was short (according to government website, hadn't actually spoken to anyone) 70 hours to qualify for benefits (needed 595 hours, had 525), after 2 weeks i convinced my boss to take me back for two weeks (hired back as a new employee on Nov. 28 because ROE was already sent in) and told i would be laid off on Dec. 9. i see that as of today qualifications went up to 630 from 595 hours, so i will be short again by 30 hours. from my first layoff on Nov. 11 my ROE was already sent in, i'm wondering if i go in a file a claim for Nov. 11, would i get told after filing that i am short 70 hours (Nov. qualifications) and can then submit my new extra 75 hours ROE after Dec. 9 and qualify or will i be told i need another extra 70 hours (Dec. qualifications)? almost positive i can't get extended another week at work. thanks for any help.
So you want hours you worked after the hours requirement went up to be applied to the period when the hours requirement was lower?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2125 posts
1187 upvotes
townie22 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:29 am
in a bit of a panic here. i was laid off on Nov. 11, found out i was short (according to government website, hadn't actually spoken to anyone) 70 hours to qualify for benefits (needed 595 hours, had 525), after 2 weeks i convinced my boss to take me back for two weeks (hired back as a new employee on Nov. 28 because ROE was already sent in) and told i would be laid off on Dec. 9. i see that as of today qualifications went up to 630 from 595 hours, so i will be short again by 30 hours. from my first layoff on Nov. 11 my ROE was already sent in, i'm wondering if i go in a file a claim for Nov. 11, would i get told after filing that i am short 70 hours (Nov. qualifications) and can then submit my new extra 75 hours ROE after Dec. 9 and qualify or will i be told i need another extra 70 hours (Dec. qualifications)? almost positive i can't get extended another week at work. thanks for any help.

The hours you need to qualify are based on when you apply. It seems that for either scenario you are still short hours.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2125 posts
1187 upvotes
Real159 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 12:09 pm
I know some roes have yet to come in. I would assume that's going to slow down the process...?
Your claim won't be processed until they're all submitted.
Dec 2, 2016
5 posts
2 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 3:49 pm
Your claim won't be processed until they're all submitted.
Will that delay the two week waiting period?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3956 posts
914 upvotes
Charlottetown
basically, if i file a claim from Nov. 11, would they say i need two more weeks (Nov. qualifications)because that's when i was laid off, or would they say i need 3 more weeks (Dec. qualifications), if two, then yes, add this weeks and last weeks to make the total needed, but that depends i guess on whether processing is counted as started for Nov. 11.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2125 posts
1187 upvotes
townie22 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 4:52 pm
basically, if i file a claim from Nov. 11, would they say i need two more weeks (Nov. qualifications)because that's when i was laid off, or would they say i need 3 more weeks (Dec. qualifications), if two, then yes, add this weeks and last weeks to make the total needed, but that depends i guess on whether processing is counted as started for Nov. 11.
I don't understand what you're saying. But regardless, for either scenario, you do not have enough hours and would not qualify for benefits.

You have to accurately report the last day of work. If you put November 11, you don't have enough hours. If you put December (whatever it is) with the current amount of hours, you still don't have enough.

It's not that complicated.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2125 posts
1187 upvotes
Real159 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 4:13 pm
Will that delay the two week waiting period?
No but you won't get paid until your claim is established.
Feb 17, 2013
23 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks for keeping such an informative thread going guys, its a real help.

Im currently on EI after being laid off of work unexpectedly, my claim started October 9th 2016. I am not attending school this semester but I have been enrolled to participate in an exchange program for school starting in January 2017 and will be gone until July 1st 2017.

I am aware i cannot receive EI while I am out of the country. When I inform Service Canada of my absence will I loose all of my remaining weeks payable? Can i ask them to put a hold on my claim so that if need be when i return in July and I am still unable to find work I can reactivate and will still have weeks payable? If I phone them to 'cancel' my EI claim or tell them I've found full time work in the EI reports am i still eligible to reactivate it as long as its within the 52 weeks since it was opened? Thanks!
Last edited by 92coreilly on Dec 6th, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3956 posts
914 upvotes
Charlottetown
92coreilly wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 6:50 pm
Hi there, thanks for keeping such an informative thread going guys, its a real help.

Im currently on EI after being laid off of work unexpectedly, my claim started October 9th 2016. I am not attending school this semester but I have been enrolled to participate in an exchange program for school starting in January 2017 and will be gone until July 1st 2017.

I am aware i cannot receive EI while I am out of the country. When I inform Service Canada of my absence will I loose all of my remaining weeks payable? Can i ask them to put a hold on my claim so that if need be when i return in July and I am still unable to find work I can reactivate and will still have weeks payable? Thanks!
i THINK as long as you are getting no money at all from them it extends your claim (banks unused kind of thing) but claim is only good for one year from date of filing.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2125 posts
1187 upvotes
92coreilly wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 6:50 pm

I am aware i cannot receive EI while I am out of the country. When I inform Service Canada of my absence will I loose all of my remaining weeks payable? Can i ask them to put a hold on my claim so that if need be when i return in July and I am still unable to find work I can reactivate and will still have weeks payable? If I phone them to 'cancel' my EI claim or tell them I've found full time work in the EI reports am i still eligible to reactivate it as long as its within the 52 weeks since it was opened? Thanks!
You have to report that you're out of the country for that amount of time. This will essentially suspend you claim. Call in when you return and you can reactivate the claim and collect the remaining weeks you have left (however, you claim will end as of October 9, 2017 regardless if you have weeks left or not.
Dec 13, 2010
241 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal
I have a question in regards to a specific case where a person would declare they will be out of the country (using the dedicated form on the Service Canada website) during the same week period that they would be reporting receiving ''other monies'' (ex: extra severance pay received 4 months after layoff) on their 2-week reporting 3 months after the claim started. That is, presuming that the benefits will not be payable for that specific week due to being out of the country, how will this impact the calculation of the deduction of received ''monies'' from the amount of regular weekly benefit? In other words, will this deduction start for the following week upon the return in the country and thus penalize the person for leaving the country for one week or will this deduction start during the same week that the person is actually out of the country and thus not penalizing them for that week in terms of deducted benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
chedo009 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 11:01 pm
I have a question in regards to a specific case where a person would declare they will be out of the country (using the dedicated form on the Service Canada website) during the same week period that they would be reporting receiving ''other monies'' (ex: extra severance pay received 4 months after layoff) on their 2-week reporting 3 months after the claim started. That is, presuming that the benefits will not be payable for that specific week due to being out of the country, how will this impact the calculation of the deduction of received ''monies'' from the amount of regular weekly benefit? In other words, will this deduction start for the following week upon the return in the country and thus penalize the person for leaving the country for one week or will this deduction start during the same week that the person is actually out of the country and thus not penalizing them for that week in terms of deducted benefits?
It'll be allocated to the start of the claim and essentially push everything back
Dec 13, 2010
241 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal
clseea wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 11:51 pm
It'll be allocated to the start of the claim and essentially push everything back
Allocated to the start of the claim even if 10 weeks of benefits have already been paid?And what do you mean by ''push everything back''?Thanks for clarifying.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
chedo009 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 11:57 pm
Allocated to the start of the claim even if 10 weeks of benefits have already been paid?And what do you mean by ''push everything back''?Thanks for clarifying.
The simple answer is yes since the money arises due to the separation, unless there's some other reason the money is being paid?

Money allocated to a claim effectively defers the start of when you can serve your waiting period along with when you start getting paid....hence pushed back
Dec 7, 2016
4 posts
Hi there! Just wondering if anyone may have any answers to my question. I live 45 mins away from my long term boyfriend. We're moving in together after 6 years of our relationship. We don't have kids, I'm not pregnant, but Im wondering if I will get approved for EI. My current company(I have worked there 9 years) supports and understands why I am leaving. There are no options to transfer as it is a small company. If anyone has any info that would be great thanks!