Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Tisito2829 wrote: Clseea you seem really knowledgeable.

Are you able to response?

Thankyou
I think this was answered?
They should keep a record of their search history. Anyone can be pulled in for an information session at any point in time, so it's important to be accurate and keep up to date with your responsibilities while collecting
Apr 27, 2020
5 posts
clseea wrote: I think this was answered?
They should keep a record of their search history. Anyone can be pulled in for an information session at any point in time, so it's important to be accurate and keep up to date with your responsibilities while collecting
Thank you for response clseea

Wasn't really answered efore by bellagirl beyond "not acceptable" which the friend knows now.

Main question still has is "if they can't provide specific detail beyond "looked at job boards week 1" and same for week 2, 3 etc, etc for the first few months but didnt really apply for 3 or so months since they were being too specific and didnt see much but now applying to more broadly and able to specify specific applications now but couldnt beyond the generic "looked at job boards", can get in trouble now for before?

Or audit and kicked off ei or get penalty?

Even if they being specific now and showing individual applications now but couldnt before?

Or okay now they show being more proactive now even if not before?

Thanks you appreciate much
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Tisito2829 wrote: Thank you for response clseea

Wasn't really answered efore by bellagirl beyond "not acceptable" which the friend knows now.

Main question still has is "if they can't provide specific detail beyond "looked at job boards week 1" and same for week 2, 3 etc, etc for the first few months but didnt really apply for 3 or so months since they were being too specific and didnt see much but now applying to more broadly and able to specify specific applications now but couldnt beyond the generic "looked at job boards", can get in trouble now for before?

Or audit and kicked off ei or get penalty?

Even if they being specific now and showing individual applications now but couldnt before?

Or okay now they show being more proactive now even if not before?

Thanks you appreciate much
Yes, they can get in trouble for not showing an acceptable job search history. Regardless of their efforts now. Your full time job while collecting EI is to look for work, it's not to take a vacation.
Apr 27, 2008
139 posts
56 upvotes
clseea wrote: Put it under the hours worked/monies earned section, not other monies. Put however many hours you got paid for even though you didn't work, otherwise the report won't go through. It'll be way easier for you this way
Thanks Clseea. I put it under the "hours worked" question and it went through fine. My question is, I just found out my friend put it under "other money" but her report went through fine just like mine, with no prompt to call Service Canada to provide more information. So hers should have gone through fine too, right?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
happycatmeows wrote: Thanks Clseea. I put it under the "hours worked" question and it went through fine. My question is, I just found out my friend put it under "other money" but her report went through fine just like mine, with no prompt to call Service Canada to provide more information. So hers should have gone through fine too, right?
Interesting. Well I guess if it went through it went through
Apr 27, 2020
5 posts
clseea wrote: Yes, they can get in trouble for not showing an acceptable job search history. Regardless of their efforts now. Your full time job while collecting EI is to look for work, it's not to take a vacation.
Thank you for reply!

What kind of trouble? Would it just be ei cutoff or could it be court or fine penalty on top of that?

What is chance of being audited?

Sorry for asking more but they is very worried now even though they do proper job log now, and not be picky and actually send applications.

Thanks again
May 2, 2020
2 posts
Hi Friends,

I am having into some complicated situation, I am not sure if anyone in this forum can help me or not.

I got temporary laid off from 16th Mar, 2020 due to covid. So I applied for EI but after declaring CERB I am getting CERB now.

Later I came to know that I am pregnant and doctor mentioned my expected date of delivery is end of Nov, beginning of Dec, 2020.

So I have few questions related to the situation. I tried calling Service Canada several times but unable to get hold of any customer care representatives. So I am posting my questions here if anyone can help:

My CERB Eligibility (16 weeks): till 15th July, 2020
My Maternity Eligibility (Max 12 weeks prior): from 01st Sep, 2020.

Now If I did not get call from my employer (due to shortage of work) after my CERB utilization is over (i.e Did not get call post 15th July, 2020) then my EI benefit will kicks in. Assume if I get call from Employer to join from 01st Aug, 2020. So from 15th Jul, 2020-01st Aug, 2020 I am will be in EI. As per my understanding if someone is in EI benefit that person need to complete 600hrs again to eligible for maternity leave. In that case I have only 1 month left (01-Sep-2020)to start my maternity leave and I dont have option to complete my 600hrs again. So that means I will not be eligible for Maternity leave benefits.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Tisito2829 wrote: Thank you for reply!

What kind of trouble? Would it just be ei cutoff or could it be court or fine penalty on top of that?

What is chance of being audited?

Sorry for asking more but they is very worried now even though they do proper job log now, and not be picky and actually send applications.

Thanks again
The chance is between 0 and 100%
Could be a fine. Could be increased entrance requirements. Could be a disentitlement during that time.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
smilec12 wrote: Hi Friends,

I am having into some complicated situation, I am not sure if anyone in this forum can help me or not.

I got temporary laid off from 16th Mar, 2020 due to covid. So I applied for EI but after declaring CERB I am getting CERB now.

Later I came to know that I am pregnant and doctor mentioned my expected date of delivery is end of Nov, beginning of Dec, 2020.

So I have few questions related to the situation. I tried calling Service Canada several times but unable to get hold of any customer care representatives. So I am posting my questions here if anyone can help:

Now If I did not get call from my employer (due to shortage of work) after my CERB utilization is over (i.e Did not get call post 15th July, 2020) then my EI benefit will kicks in. Assume if I get call from Employer to join from 01st Aug, 2020. So from 15th Jul, 2020-01st Aug, 2020 I am will be in EI. As per my understanding if someone is in EI benefit that person need to complete 600hrs again to eligible for maternity leave. In that case I have only 1 month left (01-Sep-2020)to start my maternity leave and I dont have option to complete my 600hrs again. So that means I will not be eligible for Maternity leave benefits.
I'm not sure what your question is, that was tricky to follow
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
smilec12 wrote: Hi Friends,

Essentially you need to have 600 hours to qualify for maternity/parental benefits.

Regardless of whatever else is going on, you will need to have this amount in order to qualify.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
britishcanadian wrote: I applied for EI at the beginning of March, and finally got an email and status update on April.13 with the words: Claim Finalized; Decision Made

I see the breakdown of all the payment info, but have yet to receive a payment - How long does it usually take to receive the money the government took from me in the first place, from Decision Made, to bank account?

Cheers,
Usually only a few days. It should be deposited this upcoming week.
May 2, 2020
2 posts
Hello,

there is a question when doing the online EI reports regarding training.

Here is the question:

Training - Did you attend school or a training course during the period of this report?

I said no, for the report period covering April 19th - May 2nd.

I purchased the online course on April 27th, but I didn't start doing it until today. Was I supposed to say yes? I am really worried now.

Is the online Smart Serve course even considered training or school? Should I say no, since I am not actually attending? I already finished the course today in about 3 hours, I just need to take the final test.

I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. I figured having this certificate would help me find a job more easily.

Are the Smart Serve online courses considered attending training? I am confused, please help.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
JimmyCorn wrote: Hello,

there is a question when doing the online EI reports regarding training.

Here is the question:

Training - Did you attend school or a training course during the period of this report?

I said no, for the report period covering April 19th - May 2nd.

I purchased the online course on April 27th, but I didn't start doing it until today. Was I supposed to say yes? I am really worried now.

Is the online Smart Serve course even considered training or school? Should I say no, since I am not actually attending? I already finished the course today in about 3 hours, I just need to take the final test.

I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. I figured having this certificate would help me find a job more easily.

Are the Smart Serve online courses considered attending training? I am confused, please help.
Don't bother declaring that
May 2, 2020
2 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote: Essentially you need to have 600 hours to qualify for maternity/parental benefits.

Regardless of whatever else is going on, you will need to have this amount in order to qualify.
Thank you @OldMarriedGuy. But my question is I was temporarily laid off due to Covid and if I did not get call to join back then how can i accumulate 600hrs of work. If its normal situation (non covid scenario) then I can continue my work and apply for Maternity as per the process.
May 3, 2020
2 posts
Hello Experts,

I have a question regarding EI. One of my friend was working in 2 jobs before Covid situation.

Out of these 2 jobs one was full time (40hrs week) another was part time (5hrs week i.e. $240-$250 per month). In both jobs he was paying for EI premium.

Now he got temporary laid off from his full time job due to covid. He is not sure when he will get call again to join back.

He got call to join his part time job but they will still allocate him 5hrs per week.

So my questions are:

1. If he joins part time job for $250 per month, is he still be eligible for CERB or EI?

2. He needs to take public transport to go to work place, but in this covid situation he is scared to take public transport. Can he refuse to join per time job and wait for the full time employer to re-open again? will that refusal make him non-eligible for EI or CERB?
Dec 11, 2010
1 posts
Hello,

I have a question about Mat leave EI and hoping someone can help me with. I tried to call Service Canada almost every day and couldn't get through.

I'm on Mat Leave since May 2019 and choose extended leave for 18 month (worst decision ever).
Due to the current situation i really need some extra money and my work allows working from home, so i'm considering return to work early.
If i return to work on June, does it mean i lost rest of my EI money or can I change back to standard leave and get top up??

Also, How and where do i report if i decide to return to work? I can't find it on the website?

Thank you in advance and wish everyone stay safe and stay healthy.
Aug 29, 2005
810 posts
338 upvotes
My EI was finally established last week.

Just some info for someone who might want to know. I applied for regular EI but they assigned CERB to me. I googled and found out that all EI claims after March 15th automatically become CERB for the first 4 months. If your regular EI is less than 2000 a month, you get 2000. If your regular EI is more than 2000 a month (regular EI has max 573 a week, CERB is 500 a week), you get a pay cut. The difference is after 4 months, CERB stops. regular EI applicants continue to receive regular EI payment until it expires.

My question is. My EI was established last week. I haven't got any payment yet. When do I start reporting? Before I receive any money or after I start getting payments? Thanks!
Banned
Mar 30, 2020
22 posts
15 upvotes
Unfortunately I was laid off today and part of the reason was due to COVID-19. The other part was because the company wasn't doing well.

It was a remote layoff via video call so a bit awkward. I was told I'd be eligible for EI though.

Question: Am I able to apply to both CERB and EI, or just one? If one, which one should I apply to? I'm new to CERB. I tried to read up online about it but a bit unclear on it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
supermike wrote: My EI was finally established last week.

Just some info for someone who might want to know. I applied for regular EI but they assigned CERB to me. I googled and found out that all EI claims after March 15th automatically become CERB for the first 4 months. If your regular EI is less than 2000 a month, you get 2000. If your regular EI is more than 2000 a month (regular EI has max 573 a week, CERB is 500 a week), you get a pay cut. The difference is after 4 months, CERB stops. regular EI applicants continue to receive regular EI payment until it expires.

My question is. My EI was established last week. I haven't got any payment yet. When do I start reporting? Before I receive any money or after I start getting payments? Thanks!
Login to your My Service Canada Account/internet reporting service to see when your report is due