EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1130 posts
211 upvotes
YYZ
yotrek wrote: Yes I usually login to MSCA then there's a link to go to CRA, but as you now "The link between My Service Canada Account and the CRA My Account is temporarily unavailable.", are you saying I can use the same MSCA login for CRA?.
yes when I was on EI, I was able to jump from MSCA to CRA and back .. could be because of the breach but you can use your bank to login which I am using the partner (bank) to sign in to CRA
Feb 13, 2009
105 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bas00m wrote: yes when I was on EI, I was able to jump from MSCA to CRA and back .. could be because of the breach but you can use your bank to login which I am using the partner (bank) to sign in to CRA
Thanks bro..
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
I have a question...what the hell is the point of EI if your mortgage payments alone are more than the damn max payout of ~2000 or w/e? EI just sounds like a scam to me - I was in a position where I had a side gig making me ~$2000, so then EI wont pay me shit..and I still gotta pay mortgages and food, etc. with just that 1 source of income. wtf? are they gunna return all my EI investment back to me? cuz thats MY money...assholes
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Majinvegeta wrote: I have a question...what the hell is the point of EI if your mortgage payments alone are more than the damn max payout of ~2000 or w/e? EI just sounds like a scam to me - I was in a position where I had a side gig making me ~$2000, so then EI wont pay me shit..and I still gotta pay mortgages and food, etc. with just that 1 source of income. wtf? are they gunna return all my EI investment back to me? cuz thats MY money...*******
Some quick math for you:

Maximum you pay in EI premiums in 2020 - $856.36
Maximum return, assuming you qualify for 45 weeks at $573/week = $25785, minus taxes

SO, you'll pay $856.36 and get back 30 times that.

But I guess you should ask for your $856 back
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3876 posts
1972 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Quick question, my place of employment closed for a week due to Covid but plan to reopen next week. First of all, I'm not so sure we'll reopen next week so I'm thinking I'd like to apply for EI. My main question is can/should I apply just for this week or wait it out and see if it becomes more permanent? Is there any relief for just one single week?
Feb 13, 2009
105 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Does anyone knows if the link from MSCA to CRA will be available again ..
Oct 28, 2010
24 posts
vancouver
can't find any place to apply on CRA site for CRB, anypne applied yet???
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: Some quick math for you:

Maximum you pay in EI premiums in 2020 - $856.36
Maximum return, assuming you qualify for 45 weeks at $573/week = $25785, minus taxes

SO, you'll pay $856.36 and get back 30 times that.

But I guess you should ask for your $856 back
When will I get back 30 times that? when I don't qualify because im making too much or my expenses are too much? you also forget, thats $856/year, been 15ish years now since I have been working, quick math that and think about what I could have gotten had I put that money in investment elsewhere. Not to mention the freaking 36+% that I already pay through income tax, ridiculous. No wonder ppl wanna avoid tax, getting 40% eaten away that you'll never see again is tough, CPP is shit too.
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Majinvegeta wrote: When will I get back 30 times that? when I don't qualify because im making too much or my expenses are too much? you also forget, thats $856/year, been 15ish years now since I have been working, quick math that and think about what I could have gotten had I put that money in investment elsewhere. Not to mention the freaking 36+% that I already pay through income tax, ridiculous. No wonder ppl wanna avoid tax, getting 40% eaten away that you'll never see again is tough, CPP is shit too.
If you're making too much money then why are you complaining?
If you don't qualify because you're either working too much or making too much money, you're whining over what exactly?

You definitely forget it's an insurance program. You pay for car insurance right? Home insurance? Theft insurance? Accidental death? Are you getting that insurance money back?

It seems you don't want to pay for the insurance, yet want a hand out from the government while still somehow making too much money to even qualify for that hand out. Hmmmm, something doesn't add up.
Nov 27, 2016
26 posts
11 upvotes
Hi,

Am I correct to assume that if I am EI and make 750 dollars / wk with a part time job that the calculation would be as follows:

50% of the first $450 will be deducted ($225) plus anything over the $450 threshold ($300) is deducted. Everything is deducted ?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc
Anyone know if the unemployment rate in Edmonton Alberta is expected to improve or get worse?
Dec 26, 2010
92 posts
9 upvotes
1. Do people who are unable to find work at the end of their EI claim have any supports or are they screwed?

2. For those working while on claim for themselves, are you able to earn or get credit to qualify for EI mat in the future? How does it work for self employed people on EI that qualified for EI based on previous employment?

3. If a self employed person makes over the amount that EI provides, does their claim automatically end or is it assessed biweekly until the end of the claim?
Jan 16, 2016
122 posts
22 upvotes
Thunder bay
Hi everyone.

Could someone tell me the procedure to apply for a extension for the family caregiver benefit.

Thank you.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
jinglebell79 wrote: Hi everyone.

Could someone tell me the procedure to apply for a extension for the family caregiver benefit.

Thank you.
Which family caregiver benefit, how many weeks have you used?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
rfddc wrote: 1. Do people who are unable to find work at the end of their EI claim have any supports or are they screwed?

2. For those working while on claim for themselves, are you able to earn or get credit to qualify for EI mat in the future? How does it work for self employed people on EI that qualified for EI based on previous employment?

3. If a self employed person makes over the amount that EI provides, does their claim automatically end or is it assessed biweekly until the end of the claim?
1. Maybe CERB/CRB
2. You need to have signed up for the self employment EI program to get benefits. If you're currently collecting EI and hope to use insurable hours to qualify, you need enough hours
3. Each reporting period is examined
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
microwave wrote: Anyone know if the unemployment rate in Edmonton Alberta is expected to improve or get worse?
It'll get better eventually.... Nice safe answer lol
Jan 16, 2016
122 posts
22 upvotes
Thunder bay
Hi clseea,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Truly appreciated.

I’m on the family caregiver benefit for adults. I’ve used roughly 10 weeks of the 15.

I took it after my dad got covid, his baseline dropped significantly, and he is in bad shape. We are waiting for a place in long term care.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
jinglebell79 wrote: Hi clseea,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Truly appreciated.

I’m on the family caregiver benefit for adults. I’ve used roughly 10 weeks of the 15.

I took it after my dad got covid, his baseline dropped significantly, and he is in bad shape. We are waiting for a place in long term care.
Submit additional medical documentation to get an extension