Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 2:53 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
lachdanan wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 6:33 pm
Hi, recently I have seen online that they sent me a partial payment using direct deposit. I realized my branch number was wrong, which the bank told me the money would bounce back because account numbers are unique and my account number with another branch wouldn't exist. Although I changed it to the correct branch number the day before the payment is sent, but I assume SC doesn't update their end this fast, so they must have used the wrong branch number.

I basically used a branch number in my current city but I was supposed to use where I first opened the account.

Would SC see that the money they sent to me came back and add it to the next payment or should I call them?

Thanks guys.
If I'm reading correctly, your one payment went through but you changed your banking info so the second payment didn't? If so, SC won't get a notification. You'll have to confirm your banking info and they'll have to re-issue the payment. Their payment system will just say the payment has been sent and then redeemed (if it goes through). You'll fill out a form over the phone stating you didn't receive the second payment. If you ever receive the payment, you'll obviously have to return it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 11:41 pm
Not exactly correct. You are right thou that LoA is treated as voluntary leaving, and LoA cases tend to be more difficult to be approved.



Are you still working the casual job? If yes, call Service Canada to explain and advice your employer to change to RFS to K-Other, and in box 18 states that you are still employed.

If you left the casual job, you have to establish just cause to qualify for benefits, unfortunately.

I guess there's always an outside chance he'd qualify.
Sr. Member
May 22, 2012
740 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
clseea wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 3:32 am
If I'm reading correctly, your one payment went through but you changed your banking info so the second payment didn't? If so, SC won't get a notification. You'll have to confirm your banking info and they'll have to re-issue the payment. Their payment system will just say the payment has been sent and then redeemed (if it goes through). You'll fill out a form over the phone stating you didn't receive the second payment. If you ever receive the payment, you'll obviously have to return it.
Hi, no this is for the first payment. I changed it a day before the website said it will send the payment. I changed it but because account numbers are unique, my account number with a different branch number doesn't exist. So the guy at the bank told me it will bounce back.

So would their system say the money didn't go through? I don't know how they handle it but I thought they didn't keep track of every payment sent whether it's received or not. But if they do it's better.

I will call them today.
Newbie
Sep 6, 2012
20 posts
2 upvotes
BRANTFORD
I am currently receiving EI but I would like to not receive it for the next reporting period. I work casually and my earnings are up and down so would prefer to earn EI later in the year. Is there anyway to request not to receive it for a pay period?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3593 posts
238 upvotes
lachdanan wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 6:33 pm
Hi, recently I have seen online that they sent me a partial payment using direct deposit. I realized my branch number was wrong, which the bank told me the money would bounce back because account numbers are unique and my account number with another branch wouldn't exist. Although I changed it to the correct branch number the day before the payment is sent, but I assume SC doesn't update their end this fast, so they must have used the wrong branch number.

I basically used a branch number in my current city but I was supposed to use where I first opened the account.

Would SC see that the money they sent to me came back and add it to the next payment or should I call them?

Thanks guys.
bank is correct, if u see the payment online, means it already processed, takes 2 business days usually to get into your account, 3 days for credit unions. if the payment is processed and sent tot he bank with wrong numbers, bank sends it back and says no such account. SC holds onto the payment until the direct deposit is changed or sometimes they just send out a cheque to your adress. i would call to find out what has been done
Sr. Member
May 22, 2012
740 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks Electricute. I called them, he told me he put a message about it so I should receive the payment by Thursday next week. Thanks guys.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
aurum33 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 10:30 am
I am currently receiving EI but I would like to not receive it for the next reporting period. I work casually and my earnings are up and down so would prefer to earn EI later in the year. Is there anyway to request not to receive it for a pay period?
Yes, you can ask to refuse payments for partial weeks of benefits (ie. you don't want to use up a full week of entitlement if you're only getting a partial EI cheque). Just call in and ask - they'll action your claim accordingly
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
force18 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 2:34 am
Hi

I was diagnosed almost 7 yrs ago with Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease (type of nerve disease) and I am monitred every year for any changes and I have to let my doctor and specialist know of any changes I feel. This has caused me different things throughout the years with loss of feeling (dropping things at work, tough time to stand around for longer periods stress causes different things with my nerves) my doctor wanted me to get out of the manual heavy lifting work as this made things progress faster so I got my office admin degree. I have worked with the same company for 5 years, but things have been getting worse with my health and I recently left my job because of it as I didn't want to just be a drag with them. I gave them 5 weeks notice and left. I talked to my doctor and he has given me an illness letter to see if I might be able to get any benefits while taking some time to recover a bit and look for another job. I have to do a bunch of tests again and go back to my neurologist specialist.

My question is I am not too sure how to apply online, is it considered sickness leave or disability? I tried doing the sickness benefits, but at the end it said I would have to provide a certificate each week of being sick from my doctor, but all he gave me was an illness note saying do to my illness I am unable to work right now. I didn't want to agree to have a note as I didn't know I had to do it each week. He is three hours away from where I currently live as he has been my doctor since the start with the disease. I don't plan to be on it for ever, but any little bit helps while getting back on the mend. Would it be best to visit an office or can I still file online? My last day of work was the 17th of august and my doctors appointment was the 24th of august since he was on holidays. I don't want to delay it any further as I have been busy with medical tests since.
You don't need to provide a note each and every week, you just need to submit a note stating the timeframe of your illness (if your recovery timeframe is longer than the last week you worked plus 8 weeks, indefinite or unknown). But did your doctor advise you to quit, or did you quit on your own and then get advised not to work later on?
Newbie
Apr 30, 2004
74 posts
I left before talking to my doctor. I realize this will most likely hurts chances but I couldn't get to see him right away and I wasn't going to continue working when my health was getting worse as it would be unfair to my old boss. After talking to my doctor he thought it would be best to not work right now because of the reoccurring symptoms after he did more tests. Any little bit helps while looking for something else, but both my specialist and doctor know it will happen again just you never know when it gets worse.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
force18 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 5:00 pm
I left before talking to my doctor. I realize this will most likely hurts chances but I couldn't get to see him right away and I wasn't going to continue working when my health was getting worse as it would be unfair to my old boss. After talking to my doctor he thought it would be best to not work right now because of the reoccurring symptoms after he did more tests. Any little bit helps while looking for something else, but both my specialist and doctor know it will happen again just you never know when it gets worse.
Did you seek alternatives to the manual labour like a desk job, or something less strenuous? There are clauses (see link below) that allow for quits, despite not having your doctor's advice to quit prior to quitting, but you need to show you attempted an alternate course of action other than just quitting. Either way, you should apply for benefits to get the EI process rolling.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... h_claimant
Newbie
Apr 30, 2004
74 posts
Thanks for the responses. My doctor thought it would be best to get out of the manual work force that is why I completed my office admin degree. My job was working in an office the past 5 yrs but finally my symptoms got worse (it happens over time) I starting dropping things from loss of feeling and writing would get hard some days. Any long term stress really affects the nerves and it all finally caught up. I am hoping some time off work will settle things down where I can put another 5 yrs min before anything else happens. I don't want to do any disability stuff as I'm only 30 and need to live and work before it gets worse lol
Newbie
Sep 6, 2012
57 posts
Toronto
Leaf232232 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 1:43 am
I've been with my current full-time job for over 3 years, is a deadend job and i'm not learning anything. I'm planning to quit this job to do a 3-6months contract work which is more related to my career goal. After this contract, can i apply for EI?

Hi guys; anyone had this situtation that can
comment on it; the deadline on applying yhe contract is coming soon :( hoping can get an answer soon:p) i really hate my current deadend job and willing risk it for a contract job that is more related to my career . i want to make surr i have some sort of backup.. thanks guy!
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
9783 posts
3687 upvotes
Calgary
Leaf232232 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 2:33 pm
Hi guys; anyone had this situtation that can
comment on it; the deadline on applying yhe contract is coming soon :( hoping can get an answer soon:p) i really hate my current deadend job and willing risk it for a contract job that is more related to my career . i want to make surr i have some sort of backup.. thanks guy!
If it is a 6 month contract, you will have more than enough hours to qualify a claim even if the hours from your old job won't be used. No one can make that decision for you. However, I doubt you will get enough hours if you leave the permanent job for a 3 month contract. It won't be just cause to leave a permanent job for a 3 month contract. For 6 months, I'd say it's border line just cause.
Newbie
Sep 6, 2012
57 posts
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 3:34 pm
If it is a 6 month contract, you will have more than enough hours to qualify a claim even if the hours from your old job won't be used. No one can make that decision for you. However, I doubt you will get enough hours if you leave the permanent job for a 3 month contract. It won't be just cause to leave a permanent job for a 3 month contract. For 6 months, I'd say it's border line just cause.

Thanks for the reply; i was hoping they will use my hours from my previous job :(
Banned
Sep 7, 2012
25 posts
1 upvote
I was hoping that b166er1337 could help me with this...

Anyways here's the story.... My friend wasn't able to compete her EI report because her daughter was sick. She completed her EI report after 4 weeks. Now EI Canada has sent her a letter stating - " We are writing to inform you we cannot pay you employment insurance benefits as of July -- 2012.

Your family responsibilities prevent you from accepting a job and therefore, you have no proven your availability.

If you have new or additional information which could change this decision, or would like more details, please contact us."

So I'm wonder how we can change their decision? What should we tell them? We already have told them that her daughter was sick.

Thank you ! ! !

Top