Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 8:38 pm
Feb 9, 2017
4 posts
Thanks so much for your reply!
I just also forgot to ask what about the part that asks if you were ready and able to work Monday - Friday? Would he put no because he is in school 8-4 or yes because he would be working if he had been able to find a job? They still ask this even though they ask you if you are in a training program.
He filled out the report and I think he put that he was ready and able to work...will this be an issue ? Thanks!!
Aug 16, 2015
269 posts
37 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 11:12 am
Provided you have enough hours, yes. It's only 3 months though so it's unlikely you'll have enough. Apply anyways
I have over 1500 hours at this job. Been working there since 2015. Or does it only count the number of hours that I worked in the block of work?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
kilburn305 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 2:22 pm
I have over 1500 hours at this job. Been working there since 2015. Or does it only count the number of hours that I worked in the block of work?
The hours 'reset' when you have applied for a new claim. How many hours do you have since a new claim has been started?
Mar 31, 2010
34 posts
Are there any provincial considerations? I might potentially have a job offer in Montreal. Assuming I accept it and then things don't work out and there's a layoff, will I still be eligible for EI? I am currently in Toronto, and have enough hours except this will be a new job in the same field but a level higher and I am not sure how things will pan out
Feb 13, 2017
1 posts
I've seen quite a few people apply lately, and not hear anything back 28 days later, I'm kinda concerned right now, cause I'm on the 28th day today, first time applying for EI in 15 years, and the bills have been piling up.

To those people that have applied, any update on your claim, have you received it yet?

Anyway I can check other, than online and speak to someone to see whats taking so long? I have not received a phone call or mail
Feb 13, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
I've tried searching this thread but no luck. Does any know whether I can go to school full time during the severance period, convert to part time after the period and then collect EI?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
My wife applied on January 9th and just got approved on Monday.

Though it was a maternity leave if that makes any difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
ChrisL849356 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
I've seen quite a few people apply lately, and not hear anything back 28 days later, I'm kinda concerned right now, cause I'm on the 28th day today, first time applying for EI in 15 years, and the bills have been piling up.

To those people that have applied, any update on your claim, have you received it yet?

Anyway I can check other, than online and speak to someone to see whats taking so long? I have not received a phone call or mail
You can call the hotline for an update. If it's beyond they 28 day period they can start the escalation process.
Feb 13, 2017
1 posts
I worked for a company on a 15 months contract. I had a part time partnership business as well while working. After completing my contract I had applied for Ei and I was approved. But I did not tell CRA that I have partnership business. Right after 2 months of my benefits I closed my business. I want to tell CRA that I had a business for 2 months but it was in losses. I am totally messed up now. I want to file my GST and personal tax returns. How should I proceed without affecting my EI.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1608 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Hello guys, this is a follow up question to my existing claim.
It seems my employer put other as a reason for issuing end of contract ROE, and now EI representative want me to ask employer to change the ROE status to A for shortage of work. which employer does not want to do, and they are asking me to tell EI representative to call them to get more information regarding my ROE.

Is end of contract legit reason for applying Employment insurance benefit?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
indca wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 9:35 am
Hello guys, this is a follow up question to my existing claim.
It seems my employer put other as a reason for issuing end of contract ROE, and now EI representative want me to ask employer to change the ROE status to A for shortage of work. which employer does not want to do, and they are asking me to tell EI representative to call them to get more information regarding my ROE.

Is end of contract legit reason for applying Employment insurance benefit?
Yes but usually then an employer would put A - shortage of work to avoid any issues with EI...
Feb 15, 2017
1 posts
Hi!

I have been working in my company for 2 years now. Due to shortage of work I am going to be on a hiatus for 2 months so as I understand I qualify for EI.
My issue is that previous to those 2 months I am going to be on vacation for a month out of the country (I will probably have a few days paid on accrued vacations but not for the most part) I know I am not entitled to benefits while I am out of the country so my question is when should I apply? before leaving (stating I amgoing out of the country for 1 month)? or after I come back?

Thank you in advance
Jan 6, 2012
71 posts
5 upvotes
PORT MOODY
Hi so i hurt myself and had surgery in January and I will be returning to work this tuesday (I work 2 jobs prior to injury). I applied for EI early february and I'm waiting for my ROE from my 2nd job. This may be a stupid question but:

- The fact that i'm returning to work on tuesday, will i still be eligible for pay during my month of absence? (January 9th - Feb 17th). I received my ROE from my full time job already and i'm currently waiting for my ROE for my part time job
-I will be receiving my ROE for my 2nd job by the end of next week, should I drop off my ROE from my first job to service ontario asap? Or should I drop both of them off when I receive the other ROE?
-Because I applied late, will i be granted less pay?
-What's the deal with not connecting or being on hold when i call service ontario about EI?

Thanks!
Feb 16, 2017
1 posts
Hello!

Sorry to bother you guys here, I am having 2 jobs now, and recently being told by one of my bosses that they are going to close the company next month, I've been working in this company for 1 full year. My question is without this job, I still have 1 job(which pays much less), can I still apply for EI benefits? Or I need to be completely unemployed to being able to apply for EI benefits? Thank you in advance
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
summerboy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 3:13 pm
Hi!

I have been working in my company for 2 years now. Due to shortage of work I am going to be on a hiatus for 2 months so as I understand I qualify for EI.
My issue is that previous to those 2 months I am going to be on vacation for a month out of the country (I will probably have a few days paid on accrued vacations but not for the most part) I know I am not entitled to benefits while I am out of the country so my question is when should I apply? before leaving (stating I amgoing out of the country for 1 month)? or after I come back?

Thank you in advance
Apply before you leave. You generally need to apply for benefits within 4 weeks for your claim to start right after your lay-off. If you wait beyond 4 weeks your claims starts the day you apply.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)