• May 21st, 2019 1:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9709 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
Diablo3rocks wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 5:43 pm
I was hoping that b166er1337 could help me with this...

Anyways here's the story.... My friend wasn't able to compete her EI report because her daughter was sick. She completed her EI report after 4 weeks. Now EI Canada has sent her a letter stating - " We are writing to inform you we cannot pay you employment insurance benefits as of July -- 2012.

Your family responsibilities prevent you from accepting a job and therefore, you have no proven your availability.

If you have new or additional information which could change this decision, or would like more details, please contact us."

So I'm wonder how we can change their decision? What should we tell them? We already have told them that her daughter was sick.

Thank you ! ! !
It depends on how sick her daughter is? It is life-threatening?

When someone is preoccupied that she can not complete her reports on time (it took literally 3 minutes), how can she prove she is available for work?

Now, to resume her regular benefits, your friend has to prove she has proper child care arrangement or her kid has recovered fully that she is now available for work.
Oct 7, 2003
356 posts
1 upvote
I am hoping b166er1337 can shed a little light on a situation i'm having right now..

All this past month, alot of things had happened. I got a job at Waterloo, i got married, and my wife quit her job in anticipation of moving with me in Waterloo. I told her to try for EI benefits, but then, when her workplace got hold of me getting a job in Waterloo, her supervisor drastically cut her hrs down from 70-80hrs, to 40-50hrs per 2 weeks.

So my question is, when she applies for the EI benefit, will her income be based on her regular 70-80hrs or the last 2 weeks of her last work place?

Any kind of help would be a great appreciated.

TIA
Heatware 41-0-0
MSI X58 Pro-E w/ OCZ Platinum 6GB Ram
Intel Ci7 920
Sapphire 4890
OCZ Vertex 30gb SSD
G.Skill Falcon 64GB SSD
Crucial 120GB SSD
CoolerMaster HAF932
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9709 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
luel_113 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 10:40 pm
I am hoping b166er1337 can shed a little light on a situation i'm having right now..

All this past month, alot of things had happened. I got a job at Waterloo, i got married, and my wife quit her job in anticipation of moving with me in Waterloo. I told her to try for EI benefits, but then, when her workplace got hold of me getting a job in Waterloo, her supervisor drastically cut her hrs down from 70-80hrs, to 40-50hrs per 2 weeks.

So my question is, when she applies for the EI benefit, will her income be based on her regular 70-80hrs or the last 2 weeks of her last work place?

Any kind of help would be a great appreciated.

TIA
hours wise, it won't affect much since it goes back 12 months. Earning wise, it may be somewhat a concern. EI benefit rate is determined by the average weekly earning of the last 26 weeks. Obviously, fewer hours = lower weekly earnings. That said, my guess is that the reduction in hours only occurs in the final weeks so the impact to her claim will be minimal. And congratulations.
Sep 8, 2012
1 posts
MISSISSAUGA
b166er1337, Thank you for helping all of us out! If you have a moment I have a question - that I couldn`t find information on anywhere on the internet.

I started a new job working through an employment agency, for an IT company. I work as a sole-proprietor, and I invoice the agency for my hours.

I`ve worked through the similar set-up (through an agency as sole-priorietor) in the past, and all other agencies always deducted EI premiums from the pay. However - this new employment agency did not include the clause about deducting EI in my contract (something I unfortunately missed), and now they refuse to deduct EI and handle it on their end.

Does the agency have legal right to do this? I do work a full-time job, and it was agency`s idea to use this sole-proprietor set-up. I did expect them to deduct EI as other agencies done in the past.
And if it is legal on their part - is there some way I can pay the EI benefits on my own?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9709 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
lgorchkova wrote:
Sep 9th, 2012 9:46 pm
b166er1337, Thank you for helping all of us out! If you have a moment I have a question - that I couldn`t find information on anywhere on the internet.

I started a new job working through an employment agency, for an IT company. I work as a sole-proprietor, and I invoice the agency for my hours.

I`ve worked through the similar set-up (through an agency as sole-priorietor) in the past, and all other agencies always deducted EI premiums from the pay. However - this new employment agency did not include the clause about deducting EI in my contract (something I unfortunately missed), and now they refuse to deduct EI and handle it on their end.

Does the agency have legal right to do this? I do work a full-time job, and it was agency`s idea to use this sole-proprietor set-up. I did expect them to deduct EI as other agencies done in the past.
And if it is legal on their part - is there some way I can pay the EI benefits on my own?
It seems the agency treats you as the contractor, rather than a temp employee. I don't know the details but when/if you apply, you won't have ROE on hand. You would fill out a form (I forgot the exact name) and CRA will determine whether your employment is insurable or non-insurable. If it's insurable, CRA will bill the job agency for their unpaid EI premiums. Your claim will be set up based on an interm ROE, so you'll also need to provide pay slips to determine your average weekly earnings.
Sep 9, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Hi b166er1337, I was working for an agency that sent me to a sofa manufacturing plant for 7 months and have accumulated approximately 1000 hrs. I had a minor surgery and continued working while making sure my wound was covered. I later developed infections from the surgery scar where the doctor prescribed antibiotics and medication and I am much better now. I decided to quit a month ago and stay home till I am near fully healed and in good health before I continue work. I requested a "record of employment" from my agency a couple days ago and they said it'll be ready in 5 business days. The agency asked if I can go back to work and I told them I can do entry office type work that doesnt involve heavy lifting and/or work in a dirty environment. Can I claim employment insurance for my situation? Thanks for your time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
nicedood wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 2:36 pm
Hi b166er1337, I was working for an agency that sent me to a sofa manufacturing plant for 7 months and have accumulated approximately 1000 hrs. I had a minor surgery and continued working while making sure my wound was covered. I later developed infections from the surgery scar where the doctor prescribed antibiotics and medication and I am much better now. I decided to quit a month ago and stay home till I am near fully healed and in good health before I continue work. I requested a "record of employment" from my agency a couple days ago and they said it'll be ready in 5 business days. The agency asked if I can go back to work and I told them I can do entry office type work that doesnt involve heavy lifting and/or work in a dirty environment. Can I claim employment insurance for my situation? Thanks for your time.
Is your goal to collect EI for that month where you weren't working? Based on the info you stated, you should be able to qualify, especially if your doctor suggested you stop working. It's never 100% though until all the details are given and an application for EI is submitted.
Sep 9, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
GTA
clseea wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 7:01 pm
Is your goal to collect EI for that month where you weren't working? Based on the info you stated, you should be able to qualify, especially if your doctor suggested you stop working. It's never 100% though until all the details are given and an application for EI is submitted.
Hey, yes, my goal is to collect EI so I can pay my bills and help with family bills. My family doctor did not suggest I quit work though. Here is a bit more details, I had a surgery to remove a 10cm by 10cm tattoo on my chest. The plastic surgeon that performed the operation did not say if I should quit work either. My scar is raised red and doesn't look like I am ready for heavy lifting work yet. I have been working full time for the last 3 yrs and have filed all my taxes.
Banned
Sep 7, 2012
25 posts
1 upvote
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 9:20 pm
It depends on how sick her daughter is? It is life-threatening?

When someone is preoccupied that she can not complete her reports on time (it took literally 3 minutes), how can she prove she is available for work?

Now, to resume her regular benefits, your friend has to prove she has proper child care arrangement or her kid has recovered fully that she is now available for work.
She was applying to the EI application, not the EI reports (should have clarified). What would be the best answer for her to say so they might reconsider the previous weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
You should be able to qualify based on the info you've provided, especially if you have documentation from your doctors. Although since there's been over a month delay since you stopped working, your claim start date may not be "back dated" to when you initially quit. You should always apply within 4 weeks from when you stopped working, otherwise you risk either not qualifying, or your claim might only start the week in which you apply. So bottom line, apply immediately and let the process start. Keep in mind that if you were only off for a month, you'll need to serve your 2 week waiting period. You won't be paid during those 2 weeks (think of it like your deductible). Also keep in mind it can take up to 4 weeks from the time you apply for your claim to be approved or denied.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
Diablo3rocks wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 9:51 pm
She was applying to the EI application, not the EI reports (should have clarified). What would be the best answer for her to say so they might reconsider the previous weeks.
To clarify this one, do you mean she quit her job to take care of her ailing daughter, but waited longer than 4 weeks from her last day worked to actually apply for EI?

If she quit her job to take care of her ailing daughter, she's going to have a heck of a time proving she's available for work (if applying for regular benefits). She may have just cause for quitting, but she won't be able to show she's ready, willing and capable of working (because she's taking care of her daughter full time). If she's trying to apply for compassionate care benefits (meaning her daughter is gravely ill with something life threatening), she may be able to get the start date of the claim back dated (antedated) to whenever she had to leave her job to take care of her daughter.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1798 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Quick question. Would you be able to go on E.I if you were doing paid CO - OP for 4 months?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
realg123 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 8:07 am
Quick question. Would you be able to go on E.I if you were doing paid CO - OP for 4 months?
Can't really answer that without more information. What happens after the 4 months? Back to school? What is your work history in the past 2 years?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1798 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 4:52 pm
Can't really answer that without more information. What happens after the 4 months? Back to school? What is your work history in the past 2 years?
Back to school. It's paid CO - OP
Past 2 years was working for a bit for 3-4 months then went back to school
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
Based on the hours for your co-op as a standalone, you most likely wouldn't qualify. Looking back at your work history over the past 2 years, you may have enough hours to qualify. But if you're in school, you're going to have a really hard time proving you're available for full time work (unless your school is something like 2 night classes a week). If you're going to school full time, you won't qualify since your "job" is going to school. You're not out looking for full time work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)