• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
winston1231 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 3:08 pm
Hi so i hurt myself and had surgery in January and I will be returning to work this tuesday (I work 2 jobs prior to injury). I applied for EI early february and I'm waiting for my ROE from my 2nd job. This may be a stupid question but:

- The fact that i'm returning to work on tuesday, will i still be eligible for pay during my month of absence? (January 9th - Feb 17th). I received my ROE from my full time job already and i'm currently waiting for my ROE for my part time job
-I will be receiving my ROE for my 2nd job by the end of next week, should I drop off my ROE from my first job to service ontario asap? Or should I drop both of them off when I receive the other ROE?
-Because I applied late, will i be granted less pay?
-What's the deal with not connecting or being on hold when i call service ontario about EI?

Thanks!
If you didn't apply within the 4 weeks after being off work your claim starts when you apply. You should sign up for a my service Canada account online to see if your ROEs were sent electronically. If they are, no need to bring them in. And FYI EI is under Service Canada and not Service Ontario. They are completely different.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
aipo0410 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:00 pm
Hello!

Sorry to bother you guys here, I am having 2 jobs now, and recently being told by one of my bosses that they are going to close the company next month, I've been working in this company for 1 full year. My question is without this job, I still have 1 job(which pays much less), can I still apply for EI benefits? Or I need to be completely unemployed to being able to apply for EI benefits? Thank you in advance
You can apply for benefits. From the job you're still at you'll need to request an ROE. They would indicate at your request on 'reason for lay-off'.

You need this ROE as you need to include all jobs worked at in the last 52 weeks and your claim can't be processed until the ROEs for both jobs are on file.
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes
If I am on EI and need to inform EI about going overseas for 2 weeks, how do I inform them in writing so at least I have a proof?
If it is not possible, am I just supposed to call in advance?
Jun 10, 2010
11 posts
19 upvotes
toronto
Trying to understand EI is such a challenge. Thank goodness for this thread.

Here's my question. I opened my claim for EI on April 10, 2016. I had been laid off. During the 2 week waiting period, I found a job. I did not receive any benefits.

On August 9, 2016 I was laid off again, so I reopened my claim.

So right now I have 19 weeks left, but I will only get to claim 10 weeks because I opened the claim when I didn't have to(I had no way of knowing.)

I am trying so hard to get a job in my field but the hiring process takes so long. Is there any way for me to get the full 19 weeks or am I SOL in 10 weeks?
Images
  • IMG_7315.PNG
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1307 posts
218 upvotes
Question about the Working While on Claim program:

Starting an EI claim shortly as I was laid off from my full time job. I am also a part time home based cruise travel agent (paid by commission/self employed). Been doing this on the side while I was working full time but thinking of trying to earn more income doing this while on EI under the Working While on Claim program ( https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... claim.html )

As a part of the business I am required a couple times a year to take Familiarization Trips on cruise ships to learn about the cruise lines (so as to be better able to sell the product). Also required as part of CLIA accreditation (ship inspections).

Will I be lose benefits while outside of Canada in this scenario? These are not pleasure cruises, it is for work involving meeting with cruise line staff, set conference style meetings throughout the day, etc ..
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 10:40 am
If I am on EI and need to inform EI about going overseas for 2 weeks, how do I inform them in writing so at least I have a proof?
If it is not possible, am I just supposed to call in advance?
You don't inform them in writing you need to call in.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
janine5683 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 3:47 pm
Trying to understand EI is such a challenge. Thank goodness for this thread.

Here's my question. I opened my claim for EI on April 10, 2016. I had been laid off. During the 2 week waiting period, I found a job. I did not receive any benefits.

On August 9, 2016 I was laid off again, so I reopened my claim.

So right now I have 19 weeks left, but I will only get to claim 10 weeks because I opened the claim when I didn't have to(I had no way of knowing.)

I am trying so hard to get a job in my field but the hiring process takes so long. Is there any way for me to get the full 19 weeks or am I SOL in 10 weeks?
Have you collected any benefits yet? If so you're SOL.

After you initially applied but didn't collect anything you could have 'cancelled' you claim but you would have had to call in to the call Centre to do this.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
Bamelin wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 2:48 am
Question about the Working While on Claim program:

Starting an EI claim shortly as I was laid off from my full time job. I am also a part time home based cruise travel agent (paid by commission/self employed). Been doing this on the side while I was working full time but thinking of trying to earn more income doing this while on EI under the Working While on Claim program ( https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... claim.html )

As a part of the business I am required a couple times a year to take Familiarization Trips on cruise ships to learn about the cruise lines (so as to be better able to sell the product). Also required as part of CLIA accreditation (ship inspections).

Will I be lose benefits while outside of Canada in this scenario? These are not pleasure cruises, it is for work involving meeting with cruise line staff, set conference style meetings throughout the day, etc ..
Yes your requirement is to look for jobs in Canada.

Also, you need to properly declare your self employment or it may impact your eligibility to collect regular benefits.

The purpose of EI is to help you find insurable employment, not to advance your own business.
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 7:20 am
Have you collected any benefits yet? If so you're SOL.

After you initially applied but didn't collect anything you could have 'cancelled' you claim but you would have had to call in to the call Centre to do this.
I HAVE DOUBTS about it. He applied but did not receive any benefits. The purpose of EI is to receive benefits and not just apply. He should have cancelled of course but I think he will still get all the weeks that he is due for, infact a bit more than earlier as he has worked few more months. Hopefully Bamelin will update us
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1307 posts
218 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 7:22 am
Yes your requirement is to look for jobs in Canada.

Also, you need to properly declare your self employment or it may impact your eligibility to collect regular benefits.

The purpose of EI is to help you find insurable employment, not to advance your own business.
The pilot project "Working While on Claim" makes it clear part time work is not only allowed but encouraged while on EI.
Published on Aug 26, 2016
We’re improving Employment Insurance so that it works better for the Canadians that need it, when they need it.

If you are collecting EI benefits – including regular, fishing, parental, compassionate care or parents of critically ill children – and have a chance to pick up part time or occasional work: good news. You can keep more money with the Working While on Claim pilot Project.

And now, with a new, more flexible pilot in effect until August 2018, you have a choice of two options to better support your job prospects.
That means you can earn more weekly income if you work while receiving EI benefits. Here’s how it works.

For every dollar you earn you keep 50 cents of your EI benefits up to maximum of 90 percent of your weekly insurable earnings.

Automatically, because there’s no need to apply – simply inform Service Canada of any income earned while receiving EI benefits.
Or you may choose to revert to another option for the length of your claim, which allows you to keep up to $75 or the equivalent of roughly one day’s work.

You can call Service Canada at the end of your claim to find out which option is better for you.

Either way, you can gain experience and keep your skills up to date.

Plus, you avoid having gaps in your resume.

With the working while on claim pilot project, you always benefit from accepting more work.

For details, visit our website
canada.ca/eichanges2016

The Service Canada video about the project seems to make it clear it's fine (and encouraged) to accept part time work. "You always benefit from accepting more work"

Also (I'm quibbling here) the requirement is to look for jobs period not just in Canada:
You can be outside Canada for a period of seven consecutive days for the purpose of:

attending the funeral of a member of your immediate family or a close relative
accompanying a member of your immediate family to a medical facility, provided that the treatment sought is not readily available in the family member's area of residence in Canada
visiting a member of your immediate family who is seriously ill or injured
attending a bona fide job interview
You can be away from Canada for a period of 14 consecutive days for the purpose of conducting a bona fide job search.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... iving.html

Anyways my question was, if working in allowable part time self employment while out of Canada under the Working Under Claim pilot program, does this disentitle you.

For example a Familiarization cruise may run 3 or 4 days, Saturday - Tuesday (Mon and Tues being part time work days), meaning you would be back Wed - Fri.

I'm going to call Service Canada regardless for clarification I get that this isn't a typical situation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5083 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
Bamelin wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:45 am
The pilot project "Working While on Claim" makes it clear part time work is not only allowed but encouraged while on EI.

The Service Canada video about the project seems to make it clear it's fine (and encouraged) to accept part time work. "You always benefit from accepting more work"

Also (I'm quibbling here) the requirement is to look for jobs period not just in Canada:

Anyways my question was, if working in allowable part time self employment while out of Canada under the Working Under Claim pilot program, does this disentitle you.

For example a Familiarization cruise may run 3 or 4 days, Saturday - Tuesday (Mon and Tues being part time work days), meaning you would be back Wed - Fri.

I'm going to call Service Canada regardless for clarification I get that this isn't a typical situation.
I am not saying you are wrong. But when you lose your full-time job, did you declare cruise travel agent commission on your bi-weekly reporting? ( I understand you don't get commission every day/week/month, but by what you are able to sell).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
Bamelin wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:45 am

I'm well aware of the program. It's meant for you to accept part time insurable employment. You're not working in insurable employment right now. You're self employed. You even wrote here your self employment is increasing. You're expected to be looking for insurable employment which it doesn't seem like you are right now. It also does not seem like you have declared your self employment which you are required to do.

You can be out of the country if it is for the purposes of finding a job. For example, a few years ago, Panda Express was entering the Canadian market. They needed to hire general managers and regional managers to operate the stores in Canada. Their hiring process for these positions involved flying candidates to Chicago for the interview and orientation process. This is an acceptable reason to be out of the country as you have a bonadife job opportunity in Canada by being out of the country. You leaving the country to assist in your self-employment does not qualify for a valid reason to be out of the country as this would not lead to you having a new job in Canada.

I hope you understand the differences here?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1307 posts
218 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 10:11 am
I am not saying you are wrong. But when you lose your full-time job, did you declare cruise travel agent commission on your bi-weekly reporting? ( I understand you don't get commission every day/week/month, but by what you are able to sell).
I haven't started a claim yet, just applied (haven't done first reporting yet). Honestly it's always been just a side thing, selling a few cruises to family and a few friends. Maybe like 20 hours total put in, in the last 18 months. It's a home based business that I never really put much effort into (was too busy with my actual full time job).

When I got laid off I read up on the Working on Claim project ... figured while looking for work why not put a little more effort into the business to supplement EI.
Last edited by Bamelin on Feb 19th, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1307 posts
218 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 10:15 am
I'm well aware of the program. It's meant for you to accept part time insurable employment. You're not working in insurable employment right now. You're self employed. You even wrote here your self employment is increasing. You're expected to be looking for insurable employment which it doesn't seem like you are right now. It also does not seem like you have declared your self employment which you are required to do.

You can be out of the country if it is for the purposes of finding a job. For example, a few years ago, Panda Express was entering the Canadian market. They needed to hire general managers and regional managers to operate the stores in Canada. Their hiring process for these positions involved flying candidates to Chicago for the interview and orientation process. This is an acceptable reason to be out of the country as you have a bonadife job opportunity in Canada by being out of the country. You leaving the country to assist in your self-employment does not qualify for a valid reason to be out of the country as this would not lead to you having a new job in Canada.

I hope you understand the differences here?
Correction, I never said my self employment has been increasing. What I said :
Bamelin wrote:Starting an EI claim shortly as I was laid off from my full time job. I am also a part time home based cruise travel agent (paid by commission/self employed). Been doing this on the side while I was working full time but thinking of trying to earn more income doing this while on EI under the Working While on Claim program (https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... claim.html )
To clarify, I have put next to no time into this business but could easily increase to part time hours to help supplement EI. Obviously I'll still be looking for full time work as well as per Service Canada requirements.

I disagree with your interpretation of policy that this program is only open to part time 'insurable' employment. Service Canada says no such thing, only stating:
Service Canada wrote:If you are collecting EI benefits – including regular, fishing, parental, compassionate care or parents of critically ill children – and have a chance to pick up part time or occasional work: good news. You can keep more money with the Working While on Claim pilot Project
I have such a chance to increase my self employment to part time hours. Sounds like good news to me ;)

With that said, I'm going to call Service Canada to confirm and report back here my findings... if I'm wrong I'll eat humble pie, just as I hope you will if you are wrong.

As for leaving the country, this would be done as a requirement of my part time work covered under the Working While on Claim Pilot Project. I will of course let Service Canada I will be out of the country as a function of my allowable part time hours under the Working While on Claim Pilot Project and claim any earnings on my report. -- that's the argument I'll make at least but I doubt it will fly.
Jan 18, 2017
3 posts
If a combination of sick/mat and pat paid benefit entitlement weeks theoretically extends past the end of claim date can you still collect on those weeks past the end of claim date?
Last edited by Real1592 on Feb 19th, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.