Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 2:20 pm
Jun 7, 2009
364 posts
115 upvotes
Hello,

I have 2 weeks left on my current claim but it was an old claim that was given an extra 15 weeks of benefits. Can I reapply before the end date of that claim has been reached (I haven't worked since I reactivated) or do I have to call in and get them to cancel it before I can start a new claim?

A little more context:

My start date of claim was: June, 2015
Then I went back to work in July of 2015 and worked until December 2016
Got laid off in December and reactivated the 2nd week of December 2016
It reactivated that claim but my end date of claim was March 2017
Now that we're at that point it says that my Total weeks of entitlement are 57, Total weeks paid is 12
Now that there's only a few weeks left before the end date of claim, should I call them to roll it over or should I call them, get them to cancel this one, and start a new one?
Mar 3, 2017
1 posts
So this situation is a little complicated but I will try to explain it to the best of my ability. My husband was laid-off from a city job on October 27,2016 and applied for EI on November 16,2017. His previous job he quit but it was due to labour issues. So he received an access code but did not report in time so he went back to apply in December. He was asked why he quit at his one employer and told a case manager would contact us. We received no phone call but ended up receiving a letter dated January 4, 2017 that he was denied benefits due to voluntarily quitting. We went to Service Canada again and were told to fill out a form requesting reconsideration due to labour issues at this employer, this is currently under review.

So, I ended up signing him up for a MSCA and when I looked at his claim history it stated that he qualified for EI since October 30, 2016 and that he should receive a benefit of $474, this was dated January 3, 2017. Then when I looked up the insurable hours required for our region, it appears he had enough hours from his job where he was laid off, however, we never receivables abynletters or notifications of this, only that we were denied. We called but they were not helpful so went back in to Service Canada. The agents stated that something was definitely wrong and that h does qualify and that there system states he is able to receive benefits but that it states he is late reporting. They believe there was an error on their part and stated we needed to do a new claim and that they would send an antedate under an emergent request and we would be contacted within 24-48hours.

We have been to Service Canada four times, called the 1-800 number and were never told that he was qualified, we were under the impression that he was denied based on the previous employer, so he we have been waiting on that. It has been 4 months with no income from my husband. He has applied tonseveral places with no luck. We have racked up our credit card, now are behind on our bills and I am expecting twins in April. We are extremely stressed out and then we come to realize that he was supposed to receive benefits this entire time!

We were also told the we may or may not get retro pay but this was Service Canada's mistake. What do you think will happen and what should we do?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Afrodiziak wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

I have 2 weeks left on my current claim but it was an old claim that was given an extra 15 weeks of benefits. Can I reapply before the end date of that claim has been reached (I haven't worked since I reactivated) or do I have to call in and get them to cancel it before I can start a new claim?

A little more context:

My start date of claim was: June, 2015
Then I went back to work in July of 2015 and worked until December 2016
Got laid off in December and reactivated the 2nd week of December 2016
It reactivated that claim but my end date of claim was March 2017
Now that we're at that point it says that my Total weeks of entitlement are 57, Total weeks paid is 12
Now that there's only a few weeks left before the end date of claim, should I call them to roll it over or should I call them, get them to cancel this one, and start a new one?
You'll need to reapply after this claim is paid out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
BrookeP236669 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 12:58 pm
So this situation is a little complicated but I will try to explain it to the best of my ability. My husband was laid-off from a city job on October 27,2016 and applied for EI on November 16,2017. His previous job he quit but it was due to labour issues. So he received an access code but did not report in time so he went back to apply in December. He was asked why he quit at his one employer and told a case manager would contact us. We received no phone call but ended up receiving a letter dated January 4, 2017 that he was denied benefits due to voluntarily quitting. We went to Service Canada again and were told to fill out a form requesting reconsideration due to labour issues at this employer, this is currently under review.

So, I ended up signing him up for a MSCA and when I looked at his claim history it stated that he qualified for EI since October 30, 2016 and that he should receive a benefit of $474, this was dated January 3, 2017. Then when I looked up the insurable hours required for our region, it appears he had enough hours from his job where he was laid off, however, we never receivables abynletters or notifications of this, only that we were denied. We called but they were not helpful so went back in to Service Canada. The agents stated that something was definitely wrong and that h does qualify and that there system states he is able to receive benefits but that it states he is late reporting. They believe there was an error on their part and stated we needed to do a new claim and that they would send an antedate under an emergent request and we would be contacted within 24-48hours.

We have been to Service Canada four times, called the 1-800 number and were never told that he was qualified, we were under the impression that he was denied based on the previous employer, so he we have been waiting on that. It has been 4 months with no income from my husband. He has applied tonseveral places with no luck. We have racked up our credit card, now are behind on our bills and I am expecting twins in April. We are extremely stressed out and then we come to realize that he was supposed to receive benefits this entire time!

We were also told the we may or may not get retro pay but this was Service Canada's mistake. What do you think will happen and what should we do?
Don't go in to Service Canada centers for complex things like this. Call in and get it straightened out. The front line agent should be able to put you through to a Tier 2 agent who can approve an antedate for you. It sounds like the information you received lead you down the wrong path, your husband wasn't intentionally not reporting.
Mar 3, 2017
1 posts
Thank-you for the reply! Wish someone would've told us all of this from the beginning, we feel so stupid and exhausted by this whole thing.

If we knew our claim was accepted then we would have followed up with the proper reports but we were never made aware of this which is super frustrating.

Hopefully, this antedate thing will work and we will finally get some relief!
Mar 3, 2017
3 posts
The main reason for late applying for EI benefit was that I was unaware that I could apply for the benefit for the following reason:
1. My employer never forwarded the ROE to me
2. I was under Resident training position with the University of Calgary/Alberta heath services until October 2013
3. I applied for supervised training practice licence in July 2013, which normally takes 3 – 4 month processing time

I never received my ROE from my employer. The ROE would have alerted me to apply for EI benefit. Not receiving ROE further reiterated to me that I do not qualify for EI, either due to training position or not having sufficient insurable hours.
I was under the impression that my training does not qualify me for the EI benefit. During my training, I was not even allowed sick, casual or even vacation leave. For this reason, prior to even completing my training, I applied for supervised training licence to the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta, which was in July 2013, whereas I have completed my training in October 2013. The College accepted my application vide their letter dated July 22, 2013 . I fulfilled all the requirements of the college. The normal processing time for approval takes about 3-4 months. I diligently processed an alternate procedure legally entitling me to earn income right from the date I completed my residency training, or at least from November 2013. But, unfortunately, my application lingered on for an indefinite period.
I had never applied for Unemployment Insurance benefits in my working career.

Please guide/let me know if I can qualify for antedate employment insurance benefit.
Your guidance will be highly appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Quad66 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 11:56 pm
The main reason for late applying for EI benefit was that I was unaware that I could apply for the benefit for the following reason:
1. My employer never forwarded the ROE to me
2. I was under Resident training position with the University of Calgary/Alberta heath services until October 2013
3. I applied for supervised training practice licence in July 2013, which normally takes 3 – 4 month processing time

I never received my ROE from my employer. The ROE would have alerted me to apply for EI benefit. Not receiving ROE further reiterated to me that I do not qualify for EI, either due to training position or not having sufficient insurable hours.
I was under the impression that my training does not qualify me for the EI benefit. During my training, I was not even allowed sick, casual or even vacation leave. For this reason, prior to even completing my training, I applied for supervised training licence to the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta, which was in July 2013, whereas I have completed my training in October 2013. The College accepted my application vide their letter dated July 22, 2013 . I fulfilled all the requirements of the college. The normal processing time for approval takes about 3-4 months. I diligently processed an alternate procedure legally entitling me to earn income right from the date I completed my residency training, or at least from November 2013. But, unfortunately, my application lingered on for an indefinite period.
I had never applied for Unemployment Insurance benefits in my working career.

Please guide/let me know if I can qualify for antedate employment insurance benefit.
Your guidance will be highly appreciated.
Are you trying to get EI from back in 2013??????? If yes, no you're not getting EI. Not even close.

Regardless, not getting an ROE doesn't prevent you from applying for benefits.
Mar 3, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for your comments. I am applying for EI benefit from November 2013 to August 2014, 10 months.
Mar 4, 2017
1 posts
I quit my job due to high stress and a mental health condition that was exasperated by the job. Before quitting I saw my doctor but at the time he did not recommend to me that I quit but I did anyway. My EI claim was denied because I quit but they did recommend I apply for sick benefits which I did and was successful at getting sick benefits.
While being on sick benefits my doctor got me on meds which took some time for me to adjust to. My doctor wrote me a medical note stating after my sick benefits expire I am able to begin seeking employment but can not go back to my old job due to the mental anguish it caused. I applied for a conversion and was denied due to the fact my doctor did not recommend I quit my job at the time.
I have appealed the decision and am awaiting a decision....any ideas how this may go for me?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 2:39 am
Are you trying to get EI from back in 2013??????? If yes, no you're not getting EI. Not even close.

Regardless, not getting an ROE doesn't prevent you from applying for benefits.
I would have to agree with this. If you're applying for benefits back to 2013 there's no chance it will be approved.

There is no reasonable excuse for applying for benefits 4 years after the fact regardless of the situation.
Nov 6, 2015
3 posts
New Westminster, BC
I applied for apprentice EI while Im in full time school. I received mail providing my access code and information. I logged onto my account and it tells me my weekly amount and hours insurable and so on. The only thing I do not understand is "your waiting period was deferred" has anyone had this before? What does that mean?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Quad66 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 10:04 am
Thanks for your comments. I am applying for EI benefit from November 2013 to August 2014, 10 months.
That's a giant waste of time. Don't bother.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
PMG101 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 10:32 am
I quit my job due to high stress and a mental health condition that was exasperated by the job. Before quitting I saw my doctor but at the time he did not recommend to me that I quit but I did anyway. My EI claim was denied because I quit but they did recommend I apply for sick benefits which I did and was successful at getting sick benefits.
While being on sick benefits my doctor got me on meds which took some time for me to adjust to. My doctor wrote me a medical note stating after my sick benefits expire I am able to begin seeking employment but can not go back to my old job due to the mental anguish it caused. I applied for a conversion and was denied due to the fact my doctor did not recommend I quit my job at the time.
I have appealed the decision and am awaiting a decision....any ideas how this may go for me?
It'll be denied again. You chose to quit without exhausting reasonable alternatives and without just cause. There is nothing in your favor to approve you for regular benefits.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Jessarose wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 3:28 pm
I applied for apprentice EI while Im in full time school. I received mail providing my access code and information. I logged onto my account and it tells me my weekly amount and hours insurable and so on. The only thing I do not understand is "your waiting period was deferred" has anyone had this before? What does that mean?

Thanks!
It means you don't need to serve a waiting period right now.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
PMG101 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 10:32 am
You left work for health reasons. For EI you're only entitled to 15 weeks of sickness benefits. You use those all up. As such, you're not enetited to further benefits or for regular benefits as the reason you left work was for medical reasons which you already collected the full entitlement for.