Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2017 3:16 pm
Nov 6, 2015
3 posts
New Westminster, BC
Thank you! So generally that would mean I would receive payment on the next ei payment date?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7629 posts
1207 upvotes
Edmonton
Jessarose wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 7:09 pm
Thank you! So generally that would mean I would receive payment on the next ei payment date?
Yes
Mar 3, 2017
3 posts
I have applied for antedate EI benefit in August 2014 which was declined by the commission declined my case. I requested for reconsideration and was again declined. I appealed the case to the General Division of the Social Security Tribunal of Canada, my antedate appeal was allowed by the Tribunal. Than the commission filed Application for leave to appeal against the decission, the apeal was allowed and finally the Tribunal gave decision in favour of the commission. Now I am in the process of appealing in the Federal Court of Appeal.
My appeal is based on
1. Did not received ROE
2. i was in training, my training finished in October 2013. I was not laid off nor quit or nor my organization filed bankruptcy.
3. I was in assumption that my training ends nothing else I have to look for job
4. Due to this reason I applied for training license 2 months before my training end, so that I start work in few months after my training ends. But the case was lingured on.
Any suggestion on which grounds I make my case stronger.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7629 posts
1207 upvotes
Edmonton
Quad66 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 8:23 pm
I have applied for antedate EI benefit in August 2014 which was declined by the commission declined my case. I requested for reconsideration and was again declined. I appealed the case to the General Division of the Social Security Tribunal of Canada, my antedate appeal was allowed by the Tribunal. Than the commission filed Application for leave to appeal against the decission, the apeal was allowed and finally the Tribunal gave decision in favour of the commission. Now I am in the process of appealing in the Federal Court of Appeal.
My appeal is based on
1. Did not received ROE
2. i was in training, my training finished in October 2013. I was not laid off nor quit or nor my organization filed bankruptcy.
3. I was in assumption that my training ends nothing else I have to look for job
4. Due to this reason I applied for training license 2 months before my training end, so that I start work in few months after my training ends. But the case was lingured on.
Any suggestion on which grounds I make my case stronger.
1. You don't need an ROE to apply. Not having an ROE doesn't prevent you from applying or seeking advice. Further, if the ROE is electronically filed you don't get a physical copy anyways.

2. You were in training.... As in school? Or on the job, insurable employment learning your job?

3. Based on your comment here I'm assuming the answer to number 2 is school. So you have what insurable hours and income to even qualify?

4. OK? So the Coles notes version is you assumed a bunch of things, didn't apply on time, don't have good cause for not applying on time, likely don't have any evidence of your availability or job search efforts during that period, but still really want those benefits?

I guess my advice would be to build a time machine, travel back in time and seek advice within a reasonable amount of time to qualify for benefits like everyone else.
Feb 8, 2013
1 posts
Toronto
Hoping someone can help with this scenario.

My friend had worked a full time job but had gone on EI sickness benefits due to illness, used maybe 7 weeks out of the potential 15 should she have remained ill. She now thinks it's best that she work minimal hours and works a part time job now. If she now becomes pregnant and would like to apply for maternity leave down the road (8 months) would she only qualify based on her part time job? Or will the best weeks apply to her previous full time job? Would this be a reactivation of claim of within 52 weeks?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1610 posts
163 upvotes
Is it better to collect ei or work a low paying part time job for less money?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7629 posts
1207 upvotes
Edmonton
bluenose2 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 5:08 pm
Is it better to collect ei or work a low paying part time job for less money?
Why are those the only two options?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7629 posts
1207 upvotes
Edmonton
kajannan wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 12:38 am
Hoping someone can help with this scenario.

My friend had worked a full time job but had gone on EI sickness benefits due to illness, used maybe 7 weeks out of the potential 15 should she have remained ill. She now thinks it's best that she work minimal hours and works a part time job now. If she now becomes pregnant and would like to apply for maternity leave down the road (8 months) would she only qualify based on her part time job? Or will the best weeks apply to her previous full time job? Would this be a reactivation of claim of within 52 weeks?
Her qualifying period is only a year so there would be very few weeks from her full time job that could count, assuming she's pregnant relatively quickly
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1610 posts
163 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 5:55 pm
Why are those the only two options?
What other option are there? Hard to get full time work
Employers only hire part time
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7629 posts
1207 upvotes
Edmonton
bluenose2 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 7:26 pm
What other option are there? Hard to get full time work
Employers only hire part time
No they don't. Take the part time job and keep looking.
Nov 26, 2011
831 posts
100 upvotes
well I was laid off Friday
they will pay me until end of this week

I was working full time
and I have a 2nd job sub contract/self employed working 18 hours a week delivering pizza @ 12/h + tips (which are unpredictable)
so minimum I'm making $215/week

ive always claimed this as its usually to my benefit (claiming expenses)

will I still get EI? even if its reduced? I'm also thinking of going back to school
would EI still get paid or just take an osap loan?
Mar 8, 2017
1 posts
New Question : salary continuence and pregnancy

Hi
I was just laid off from decades long employment. My employer has set out a salary continuance package for min 12 months. I am fighting for more. I know they will not issue an ROE until the last day of Salary continuence. At which point I would apply for ei under normal circumstances. However, I have been trying to have a 2nd child and could be pregnant now.

My question is I would be giving birth months before my salary continuence ends but I do not intend to go back to work for at least 1 year. How would I get parental and maternity benefits if my employer doesn't file the roe until afterwards the baby is born? Would my pregnancy change the length of my salary continuence?
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2326 posts
991 upvotes
Montreal
Hi all I am wondering if it is allowed to go to the US on the weekend while on EI and still receive the benefits?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1249 posts
348 upvotes
Venator13 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:37 pm
New Question : salary continuence and pregnancy

Hi
I was just laid off from decades long employment. My employer has set out a salary continuance package for min 12 months. I am fighting for more. I know they will not issue an ROE until the last day of Salary continuence. At which point I would apply for ei under normal circumstances. However, I have been trying to have a 2nd child and could be pregnant now.

My question is I would be giving birth months before my salary continuence ends but I do not intend to go back to work for at least 1 year. How would I get parental and maternity benefits if my employer doesn't file the roe until afterwards the baby is born? Would my pregnancy change the length of my salary continuence?
Thank you
How would being pregnant change your salary continuance?

You can't apply for EI until after the continuance is completed.

If you gave birth prior to the continuance ending when you do apply for maternal/parental benefits it would likely be reduced depending on how long it was since you had he baby.