• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 2:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
danzerino wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:36 am
Hi all I am wondering if it is allowed to go to the US on the weekend while on EI and still receive the benefits?
Yes.
Mar 10, 2017
1 posts
Hello,

Question. I am on EI regular and have approx 7 weeks left. I am sick and wondering if I can convert to EI sickness and if it will extend my claim? Realistically hope all I will need is another 3-4 weeks.

Thanks
Mar 10, 2017
1 posts
Hello, i have been on ei benefit for two months, while on job search i got an offer for sales job but i have no experience in sales, they said they can train, i was wondering if i take up the job and stop my ei benefits and after few weeks they don't like my sales performance and they fire me, will i lose my benefits or can resume my benefits?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
evodigital wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:02 am
Hello,

Question. I am on EI regular and have approx 7 weeks left. I am sick and wondering if I can convert to EI sickness and if it will extend my claim? Realistically hope all I will need is another 3-4 weeks.

Thanks
You can report sickness/illness for up to 4 weeks without having to convert your claim. You would have to accurately indicated on your reports that you were unable to work for the whole week due to the illness or injury.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
RoyKeane wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 6:42 pm
Hello, i have been on ei benefit for two months, while on job search i got an offer for sales job but i have no experience in sales, they said they can train, i was wondering if i take up the job and stop my ei benefits and after few weeks they don't like my sales performance and they fire me, will i lose my benefits or can resume my benefits?
If you quit you wouldn't be entitled to further benefits. If you got let go due to performance because you were not suitable you would likely be able to still continue your benefits. There would be a delay as an adjudicator would have to review the situation.
Mar 10, 2017
1 posts
Hello, I am on EI regular benefits (currently doing my week 17 of 23 weeks approved). I am trying to come back to full time since my payment is very low, asking my new employer for more hours, but my wrists are not cooperating.
Initially I did apply for sickness benefits because of pain on my wrists due to work in kitchen environment, but I did not get it, instead I got regular benefits for 23 weeks.
My question are:
Is possible to apply for sickness benefits again?
do I have to serve a waiting period again? or they switch over immediately after approved sickness benef.?
Is it better to apply now or wait until my ei is almost over?
If I keep working part time, do will take off the money dollar per dollar?
I hope the experts here could help me to resolve this dilemma.
In the meantime I am keeping applying to office work related, I have been in some interviews, but not luck so far.
Thanks a lot.
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I've been on EI since November but began attending school in New Zealand starting March 1st. I informed Service Canada of my plans via phone before my departure and have filled in one report stating that Im in school/out of country since having arrived here.

My question is wether or not I can just stop filling the reports out? Should there not be something on my service Canada account indicating my claim is suspended? Thanks!
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Hello I am working casual part-time and sometimes I get 2 - 3 shifts a week and sometimes I get a full week but when I get only a couple days a week; E.I I helps out tremendously with the top ups, however my E.I claim ends around the end of April 2017 which at that time I will not be able to get E.I to ups anymore.
I have no problem getting another job but it's not even an option because I am on call with my current job so they can call me at the drop of a hat and I would have to go in so another job is not really an option right now .

My question is, a month ago there were a couple of weeks (not in a row) where I had not been called into work for 7 days or or more. Would I be able to call my employer to send a T4 to E.I that would show the break in work for ( 7 consecutive days or more ) which would entitle me to open a new E I claim even knowing it was a month or so back when I did not work for seven consecutive days or more?

That way I would still be able to get E.I top ups when work hrs are slow. I go to work every time they call but sometimes there isn't much work available which makes it very hard to continue paying bills,food, Hydro etc...

Thank you for listening.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1639 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
trextr wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 8:44 pm
Hello I am working casual part-time and sometimes I get 2 - 3 shifts a week and sometimes I get a full week but when I get only a couple days a week; E.I I helps out tremendously with the top ups, however my E.I claim ends around the end of April 2017 which at that time I will not be able to get E.I to ups anymore.
I have no problem getting another job but it's not even an option because I am on call with my current job so they can call me at the drop of a hat and I would have to go in so another job is not really an option right now .

My question is, a month ago there were a couple of weeks (not in a row) where I had not been called into work for 7 days or or more. Would I be able to call my employer to send a T4 to E.I that would show the break in work for ( 7 consecutive days or more ) which would entitle me to open a new E I claim even knowing it was a month or so back when I did not work for seven consecutive days or more?

That way I would still be able to get E.I top ups when work hrs are slow. I go to work every time they call but sometimes there isn't much work available which makes it very hard to continue paying bills,food, Hydro etc...

Thank you for listening.
Actually I will be in a very similar case such as your starting next week I managed to secure a part-time on-call job casual so no hours are guaranteed it's good to know that EI will top up any money. I can't answer your question but good luck as we are both in the same situation
Dec 14, 2016
7 posts
Red Deer, AB
Hello everyone,

Long story short:

I had a regular EI claim which started in August 2016. I then started a full-time job in October but was dismissed in December for misconduct. I also started a casual/part-time job in September (less then 10 hours a week). Claim was converted to Sickness benefits (due to stress from above) in January 2017. 15 weeks will be used up by March 25.

I have another 100 hours to accumulate before reaching the number of hours required to qualify. My question is can I apply for another claim using my hours from full-time (Oct-Dec) and part-time employer? I understand that I would need to request an ROE from part-time employer indicating "employee requested."

Thanks. ☺️
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1639 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
I got a letter from ei to attend a job search session and documents all my job search and interviews or they stop my payment.

No problem, I have a laundry list of everywhere I applied and interviewed.
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes

Thank you for listening.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
Stofty wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:09 pm
Hello everyone,

Long story short:

I had a regular EI claim which started in August 2016. I then started a full-time job in October but was dismissed in December for misconduct. I also started a casual/part-time job in September (less then 10 hours a week). Claim was converted to Sickness benefits (due to stress from above) in January 2017. 15 weeks will be used up by March 25.

I have another 100 hours to accumulate before reaching the number of hours required to qualify. My question is can I apply for another claim using my hours from full-time (Oct-Dec) and part-time employer? I understand that I would need to request an ROE from part-time employer indicating "employee requested."

Thanks. ☺️
If you got dismissed for misconduct, it is unlikely those hours would be eligible for a new claim as being terminated for misconduct means there was a willful wrong doing on your part and the reason for your separation from employment was due to your actions.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:47 pm
I got a letter from ei to attend a job search session and documents all my job search and interviews or they stop my payment.

No problem, I have a laundry list of everywhere I applied and interviewed.
Ok...great...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
trextr wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:51 am

Thank you for listening.
Potentially. You would still need enough hours to qualify for a new claim and I don't know if you would have that if you've only been part time/on call.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)