Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 2:20 pm
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Yes I understand I need enough hours and I do have enough hours but my question is: Would I be able to ask my employer to send a T4 to E.I and if they did and it showed I had enough hours to qualifie Would I be able to open up a new claim going back a month or so and using the 8 consecutive days in a row that I did not work to open a new claim that is the question?

Keep in mind I would be going back a month or so to try and use the 8 consecutive days in a row that I did not work to see if I would be entitled to open a new claim....that is what I'm trying to find out if it is possible to do.

Can someone please answer the specific question asked?

Thank you everyone for all your answers
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
trextr wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 7:52 am
Yes I understand I need enough hours and I do have enough hours but my question is: Would I be able to ask my employer to send a T4 to E.I and if they did and it showed I had enough hours to qualifie Would I be able to open up a new claim going back a month or so and using the 8 consecutive days in a row that I did not work to open a new claim that is the question?

Keep in mind I would be going back a month or so to try and use the 8 consecutive days in a row that I did not work to see if I would be entitled to open a new claim....that is what I'm trying to find out if it is possible to do.

Can someone please answer the specific question asked?

Thank you everyone for all your answers
They would have to send and ROE and it would indicate at employees request.

If you didn't apply within 28 days of your break in employment your claim would start as of the day you applied. The 7 days you were off would be the time you were separated from work.
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Thank you very much for that your answer . So I would have to call my employer and ask them to send an REO to EI then what would I do? Would I have to go online and reapply for a new claim or do I have to call E.I?

Just go online and open a new claim and state withinn my application that I am working casual part-time hours?

Thank you
Aug 16, 2015
121 posts
11 upvotes
Any idea why my rate would be 420

But my gross is 365?

No deductions listed. After tax it's down around 350.
Apr 4, 2012
26 posts
TORONTO
Hi everyone,

I applied for EI benefits on Feb 21 and it still says "Under Review".

"We have received your application for Employment Insurance benefits. We are working to process your request and complete your claim in a reasonable period of time. Once this is done, we will update your claim information and let you know our decision.

If you have received paper Records of Employment (ROEs) that your employer is not submitting electronically, please submit them to us as soon as possible. You can submit them in person at your nearest Service Canada office or you can mail them to Service Canada."

Reason for the application is parental leave. Should I be phoning them since it doesn't say online whether there is something else I need to do? My employer submitted the ROE back in February
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1639 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
bottles123 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 6:29 pm
Hi everyone,

I applied for EI benefits on Feb 21 and it still says "Under Review".

"We have received your application for Employment Insurance benefits. We are working to process your request and complete your claim in a reasonable period of time. Once this is done, we will update your claim information and let you know our decision.

If you have received paper Records of Employment (ROEs) that your employer is not submitting electronically, please submit them to us as soon as possible. You can submit them in person at your nearest Service Canada office or you can mail them to Service Canada."

Reason for the application is parental leave. Should I be phoning them since it doesn't say online whether there is something else I need to do? My employer submitted the ROE back in February
No need to call. That's standard when waiting for approval, if they need something else they will contact you usually by mail. Be patient.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
trextr wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:28 am
Thank you very much for that your answer . So I would have to call my employer and ask them to send an REO to EI then what would I do? Would I have to go online and reapply for a new claim or do I have to call E.I?

Just go online and open a new claim and state withinn my application that I am working casual part-time hours?

Thank you
Your employer would send an ROE to service canada and you would apply for a new application.

You would have to ensure you prior claim was completed. It might be worthwhile to contact the hotline to discuss your situation to ensure here's no delays.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
kilburn305 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:38 pm
Any idea why my rate would be 420

But my gross is 365?

No deductions listed. After tax it's down around 350.
You may have had some monies from separation that were allocated to your claim that is take from your benefits? Did you claim recently start and did you have any severance or vacation pay or anything like that following your separation from employment?

It could be any number of reasons...did you work at all during that period? If you gave us some more information we might be able to give you a better answer.
Aug 16, 2015
121 posts
11 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:34 pm
You may have had some monies from separation that were allocated to your claim that is take from your benefits? Did you claim recently start and did you have any severance or vacation pay or anything like that following your separation from employment?

It could be any number of reasons...did you work at all during that period? If you gave us some more information we might be able to give you a better answer.

No severance, vacation pay etc.
For the other week in the two week period I did work 1 day. The deduction to the gross for working said day is listed clearly.

The week I am referring to I didn't have any shifts but there is some missing from the gross for an unlisted reason. I am taking 1 class, 1-9 hours per week.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
kilburn305 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:39 am
No severance, vacation pay etc.
For the other week in the two week period I did work 1 day. The deduction to the gross for working said day is listed clearly.

The week I am referring to I didn't have any shifts but there is some missing from the gross for an unlisted reason. I am taking 1 class, 1-9 hours per week.
Post your benefit statement and claim details then. There's obviously missing information somewhere
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I've been on EI since November but began attending school in New Zealand starting March 1st. I informed Service Canada of my plans via phone before my departure and have filled in one report stating that Im in school/out of country since having arrived here.

My question is wether or not I can just stop filling the reports out? Should there not be something on my service Canada account indicating my claim is suspended? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
92coreilly wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:23 pm
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I've been on EI since November but began attending school in New Zealand starting March 1st. I informed Service Canada of my plans via phone before my departure and have filled in one report stating that Im in school/out of country since having arrived here.

My question is wether or not I can just stop filling the reports out? Should there not be something on my service Canada account indicating my claim is suspended? Thanks!
You can stop reporting altogether, it'll make your claim go dormant
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Great thank you very much for that information . Just one more question, let's say my claim ends at the end of April and the first week of May I get my employer to send my ROE to EI.....then I go online and apply for a new EI claim, my question is ... how does the waiting period work?

I hear the waiting period is down to only one week now so if I'm still working when does my one week waiting period end or finished being served?

Do I have to go another full week without working (not getting any hours) again for my actual waiting period to be served or does the previous 7 day break in service count as my waiting period being served?

Might be a while before there is another 7 day or more break in service to be able to get EI top ups when I only get two or three shifts a week.

Could kill me financially if I keep getting stringed along at work with one or two shifts every week never being able to serve the waiting period. Hmmm, wonder if I was sick for a week if that would count ? Not that I want to get sick that is the last thing I need .

Thank you once again, this sure beats waiting on the phone for an hour to get through.
Mar 15, 2017
1 posts
Hello,

Thanks a lot for this thread. Have a question about EI: since when will the payments be deemed as separation payment? For example, I got a four week working notice, and my last paycheck will be 2 weeks after that, if I have some saved vacation, and transfer them into RRSP within the four weeks, will that still be deemed as separation pay and hence delay my EI start date?

Many thanks!

Sunny
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
trextr wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:53 pm
Great thank you very much for that information . Just one more question, let's say my claim ends at the end of April and the first week of May I get my employer to send my ROE to EI.....then I go online and apply for a new EI claim, my question is ... how does the waiting period work?

I hear the waiting period is down to only one week now so if I'm still working when does my one week waiting period end or finished being served?

Do I have to go another full week without working (not getting any hours) again for my actual waiting period to be served or does the previous 7 day break in service count as my waiting period being served?

Might be a while before there is another 7 day or more break in service to be able to get EI top ups when I only get two or three shifts a week.

Could kill me financially if I keep getting stringed along at work with one or two shifts every week never being able to serve the waiting period. Hmmm, wonder if I was sick for a week if that would count ? Not that I want to get sick that is the last thing I need .

Thank you once again, this sure beats waiting on the phone for an hour to get through.
You would still have to serve a one week unpaid waiting period. If you work during that week it will get deducted from your subsequent benefits.

The waiting period doesn't mean you have to. It work it just means you're not getting paid. The week you'll have prior of no earnings is the week considered for your 'separation of employment'.

Sounds to me like you should also start looking for another job...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)