Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 6:09 am
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Thank you for the response. I think there's a few typos in there but I'm not quite sure exactly what all this means .

Could you please reword it in layman's terms . Also if I can get on full-time at this job I'm working; it goes from hell to heaven...it's just a matter of whether I can hang in there or not.

Thank you in advance
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1360 posts
400 upvotes
trextr wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:05 am
Thank you for the response. I think there's a few typos in there but I'm not quite sure exactly what all this means .

Could you please reword it in layman's terms . Also if I can get on full-time at this job I'm working; it goes from hell to heaven...it's just a matter of whether I can hang in there or not.

Thank you in advance
Not sure how else to explain it. There's a period at the beginning of every claim (one week) that you don't get paid. It's supposed to be an unpaid waiting period. If you have earnings in this waiting period, you aren't fully serving and unpaid waiting period and you will have some deductions from when you do get paid.

The 7 days you were off is considered the time when you were off work. You do not have to be off work for another 7 days to start a claim.

Not sure what else needs to be clarified, maybe you can let me know? Yeah sorry lots of typos as I use my iPhone to respond and it sometimes auto corrects to the wrong/unintended word.
Mar 16, 2017
1 posts
I got a refusal from my ei application in the reason of, me and my wife are planning to do ivf process since last year but because of too much stress and busy at work, i cancelled my first appointment attempt. There is no one to handle this situation just me and to support my wife. We live together since 2008 but unfortunately no baby yet and because my wife has a problem producing a baby.

Beside this plan i did not include this statement in my application which my work is not a good environment for me including harrassment that forced me to quit right away last year. The issue is this company is "always screaming shouting and employee to employee harassment".

Owner talked to me to come back and fix the issue. I accepted it and stayed until this year but still the same issue and finally, forced me to quit for the last time. I just made the reason which is planning to do the ivf with my wife so no more counter offer happened and not to have a bad relationship with the company.

Now, its time for me to apply for reconsideration but i need to make a strong letter to consider this. I do not have a job for more than a month now. Any advise? Thanks!
Dec 3, 2013
27 posts
6 upvotes
Thank you for clarifying . I guess it would be best for me to wait until I am off for another 7 day or more stint to have my employer send an REO to E.I and apply for a new claim other wise if I open a clean while I'm working I will get stiffed the next time I'm off for 7 days or more ( if I worked during My first week during my first week waiting period any money I made will be taken away from E.I funds) so best to wait.

can I wait till my new claim is over then ask my employer to send REO to EI but not open the claim and just wait until I am off for another seven days or more in a row then open the claim? I guess there's no way around it you lose a weeks pay on every new claim .

you have to wait seven days in order to be entitled to open a claim then you're waiting period begins read away after opening the claim and if you worked in the first week during your wedding. You basically work for nothing and getting the money from the guy but if during your first week waiting. You did not work then you would receive money .
Is that correct ? Gets confusing sometimes trying to understand all this.

Thank you for responding
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1360 posts
400 upvotes
Vdelacruz1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:38 pm
I got a refusal from my ei application in the reason of, me and my wife are planning to do ivf process since last year but because of too much stress and busy at work, i cancelled my first appointment attempt. There is no one to handle this situation just me and to support my wife. We live together since 2008 but unfortunately no baby yet and because my wife has a problem producing a baby.

Beside this plan i did not include this statement in my application which my work is not a good environment for me including harrassment that forced me to quit right away last year. The issue is this company is "always screaming shouting and employee to employee harassment".

Owner talked to me to come back and fix the issue. I accepted it and stayed until this year but still the same issue and finally, forced me to quit for the last time. I just made the reason which is planning to do the ivf with my wife so no more counter offer happened and not to have a bad relationship with the company.

Now, its time for me to apply for reconsideration but i need to make a strong letter to consider this. I do not have a job for more than a month now. Any advise? Thanks!
Your reason for quitting is not one of the accepted reasons for quitting unfortunately.

I completely understand how difficult it can be dealing with infertility and having to go through the IVF process but many people (especially males) are able to do this with very little impact to work. The male is really only required to be there for the initial blood testing/physical and then for the 'donation'.

This would not be a medical reason that would require you to be off work unfortunately. Good luck. My only advice is to try and find a job with an employer that is a little more flexible for you to attend medical assessments/appointments.
Mar 17, 2017
1 posts
Received a letter from Integrity Services of EI, re: over payment back in 2012 and I am getting letter now on 2017,

Question: what will happen if I do not respond back to the letter / questionnaire?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1360 posts
400 upvotes
Tommykat wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 1:42 am
Received a letter from Integrity Services of EI, re: over payment back in 2012 and I am getting letter now on 2017,

Question: what will happen if I do not respond back to the letter / questionnaire?
You still owe the money. The longer you wait the longer the interest would accrue. They could take the money from subsequent tax returns or potentially garnish your pay if needed. Should you require EI in the future you wouldn't get paid until your debt has been repaid from your benefits.

Not responding back isn't really an option. You could always appeal the decision if it was made in error. If not...you need to pay back the money you were paid that you shouldn't have been.
Mar 20, 2017
1 posts
I have a question for you. I was turned down for EI, I appealed and won and then EI appealed that decision and won so I wasn't going to get any EI. About a month later I got a letter with an access code to my account, when I went online to see what was going on I found out they had made a payment and were saying I could fill out the forms for my next payment. I spent a whole afternoon trying to get a hold of someone on the phone with no success. Went into the office in town to be told they couldn't help me so back to the phone. When I finally got through I was told there was no mistake the money was mine but he was unable to answer as to why or if I would get anymore, he would have someone else call me. Four days later I got a call saying they couldn't explain what happened, it was a computer error and the money went out in error, I would be getting a bill to pay it back. When i got the bill it was for more money the was deposited in my account. Again after 2 hours I was able to speak to someone who told me the difference was for the taxes they paid to Revenue Canada. I don't think this is fair that I should have to pay back more money then they paid out in error and then wait to claim it on next years taxes! This was there error and I'm out money! Is this right, shouldn't they have to wait until next year to get the rest of the money from me. Personally after this screw up I think they should have to pay me for the time I've lost trying to sort out their error. Any advice?
Feb 27, 2017
4 posts
I'm now on week 11!!!!!! I haven't heard from anyone from service Canada. I call daily. They say, someones going to call you. No one ever does. 11 weeks, 2 months back due on rent, no food for the last 6 weeks, can't pay any bills. System is a joke! 28 days my ass!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8751 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
canadacanada wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:36 pm
I'm now on week 11!!!!!! I haven't heard from anyone from service Canada. I call daily. They say, someones going to call you. No one ever does. 11 weeks, 2 months back due on rent, no food for the last 6 weeks, can't pay any bills. System is a joke! 28 days my ass!
but clearly you still have internet connection, so it's not all bad.

But if you are in dire needs, contact your MP's office asap.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8751 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
sunnyworld wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:12 pm
Hello,

Thanks a lot for this thread. Have a question about EI: since when will the payments be deemed as separation payment? For example, I got a four week working notice, and my last paycheck will be 2 weeks after that, if I have some saved vacation, and transfer them into RRSP within the four weeks, will that still be deemed as separation pay and hence delay my EI start date?

Many thanks!

Sunny
Separation monies is vacation pay, pay in lieu of notice and severance pay. If you are just receiving regular wages after the last date of work, then it is not considered separation monies.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8751 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
User861660 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:26 pm
I have a question for you. I was turned down for EI, I appealed and won and then EI appealed that decision and won so I wasn't going to get any EI. About a month later I got a letter with an access code to my account, when I went online to see what was going on I found out they had made a payment and were saying I could fill out the forms for my next payment. I spent a whole afternoon trying to get a hold of someone on the phone with no success. Went into the office in town to be told they couldn't help me so back to the phone. When I finally got through I was told there was no mistake the money was mine but he was unable to answer as to why or if I would get anymore, he would have someone else call me. Four days later I got a call saying they couldn't explain what happened, it was a computer error and the money went out in error, I would be getting a bill to pay it back. When i got the bill it was for more money the was deposited in my account. Again after 2 hours I was able to speak to someone who told me the difference was for the taxes they paid to Revenue Canada. I don't think this is fair that I should have to pay back more money then they paid out in error and then wait to claim it on next years taxes! This was there error and I'm out money! Is this right, shouldn't they have to wait until next year to get the rest of the money from me. Personally after this screw up I think they should have to pay me for the time I've lost trying to sort out their error. Any advice?
Contact CRA or Service Canada to make payment arrangement. I see how unfair it is that they erroneously paid the taxes to CRA this year and you won't get it back until next year.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1360 posts
400 upvotes
canadacanada wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:36 pm
Did you quit or get terminated from work? If not, something is definitely missing in your claim which is causing the delay. The only other possible causes for the delay could be an error on your ROE, you indicated jobs you worked at in the last 52 weeks but no ROE has showed up or some other type of issue. Claims are processed in 28 days if everything is 'normal'.
Apr 4, 2012
26 posts
TORONTO
Hi,

My EI application finally got processed. Initially during the application I said I'd need 5 weeks of Paternal leave but I've had to increase it to 7 weeks total.

How do I notify Service Canada of this? I couldn't find it after logging on to their site. My employer is already aware and made the necessary adjustments.