Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
User824492 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 3:02 pm
I do work...I am my Father's FULL time caregiver 24/7
I do this because my Dad doesn't want to go to a Home
I am starting to get it though...it doesn't matter about our Elderly, it doesn't seem anyone really cares, I mean the Government. I WORK my ass off looking after my Dad, I'm very sure that if he had to go to a Home that would be much more expensive for the Government. OR having 24/7 Government Home Care come in to look after him.
When my Dad passes...I guess, oh f**kng well. I will die from the guilt
I'm sorry you feel that way. Your situation is no doubt difficult.

However, the fact remains if you're not available for full time insurable employment you're not meeting the most basic requirement to collect EI. It would be prudent for you to search out other means of financial and homecare help. Your province will likely have something applicable. EI isn't an option though, unless compassionate care benefits apply... Where your father is at risk of dying in the next 6 months.
Last edited by clseea on Mar 30th, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2015
49 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 7:06 pm
The compassionate care benefits are up to 6 weeks but only when you're caring for a family memeber who is expected to pass away within the 6 week period.
Up to 26 weeks weeks now for compassionate care.
Mar 31, 2017
1 posts
I had 3 jobs. 2 casual/on call positions and I took in a regular hour job to create a consistent income for my family. This job didn't end up working out as the hours conflicted and the pay was very low. So I quit, 7 months ago and have maintained the other 2 jobs without interruption.
My recent claim for EI is being held up as they are fact finding for just cause in my "quit".
My question is; why does it matter so much if I had and kept two other jobs? Also, I didn't even ask to use that ROE for my claim.
Can they deny my claim because of this "quit"? Or are they fact finding to determine whether hours from that job can be used?
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
Can anyone offer me some advice on how to handle a situation with my EI claim??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 11:41 pm
Can anyone offer me some advice on how to handle a situation with my EI claim??
OK.......
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
Ok, I opened my claim December 2015. I am a teaching assistant and I get layoffs regularly and scheduled. I got a second part time job the February following my ei claim I opened in the previous December. Come spring break and summer and so on, I never new I needed to claim the new employer as it was from an in my mind already opened and made claim. I just thought I will put them on, come this summer when I need to make a whole new claim. I only work about 2 hours a week there, it's basically nothing. Anyways, I'm now aware that I need to go back and claim it so it shows for this previous year. Any idea on what will happen, and or how I should go about it? When I did my taxes this year last month I claimed everything, I have never meant to hid anything it just has been an honest stupid mistake.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1175 posts
326 upvotes
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:07 am
Ok, I opened my claim December 2015. I am a teaching assistant and I get layoffs regularly and scheduled. I got a second part time job the February following my ei claim I opened in the previous December. Come spring break and summer and so on, I never new I needed to claim the new employer as it was from an in my mind already opened and made claim. I just thought I will put them on, come this summer when I need to make a whole new claim. I only work about 2 hours a week there, it's basically nothing. Anyways, I'm now aware that I need to go back and claim it so it shows for this previous year. Any idea on what will happen, and or how I should go about it? When I did my taxes this year last month I claimed everything, I have never meant to hid anything it just has been an honest stupid mistake.
What? That was hard to read. From what I gather, you were working and collecting EI benefits? On the reports it clearly indicates for you to report any earnings. If you did not do so eventually you will get caught and you will have to pay back those benefits you weren't entitled to and pay a penalty.

The CRA and employment insurance are two separate agencies, you know that right?
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
Of course I know they are two different things! I only actually ever claim benefits three times a year. Spring break, Christmas break and summer. The part time side job I have I have actually never worked at, while collecting Ei. I work so a sick lady, I help her with personal care. It's very much so an on call, no schedule job. And it has only ever been a few hours a week. I know it sounds kind of confusing.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1175 posts
326 upvotes
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 9:59 am
Of course I know they are two different things! I only actually ever claim benefits three times a year. Spring break, Christmas break and summer. The part time side job I have I have actually never worked at, while collecting Ei. I work so a sick lady, I help her with personal care. It's very much so an on call, no schedule job. And it has only ever been a few hours a week. I know it sounds kind of confusing.
Right but when you're collecting EI benefits you have to complete a report every two weeks stating if you worked or not.

If you didn't work while collecting benefits then it doesn't matter. You would however need the ROE from this job if applying for a new claim.

It's confusing because I don't actually understand what you're asking about.
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
No, I never did work over times where I was collecting benefits. With my side job I often go weeks where I won't work for my technically part time job. She only calls me Sparatically when she really needs help. So I've never lied on any reports. I was payed off from my school job, and not getting any hours from second job.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1175 posts
326 upvotes
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:53 am
No, I never did work over times where I was collecting benefits. With my side job I often go weeks where I won't work for my technically part time job. She only calls me Sparatically when she really needs help. So I've never lied on any reports. I was payed off from my school job, and not getting any hours from second job.
I still have no idea what you're asking.

My assumption is you applied for a claim and did not indicate that you worked there? In that case the hours you worked there would not have been used on your claim and you potentially may have reduced weeks of entitlement for having lower hours.

To report anything to EI you would contact them by phone directly.
Aug 10, 2006
530 posts
88 upvotes
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:07 am
What do you mean you are know aware and you need to go back?

The following general comments should be confirmed with EI CSR: you established your Dec 2015 claim. you dont need to let EI know you have a new employer, just declare the earnings you worked for the specific weeks so that you wont be overpaid EI. technically EI benefits encourage work, including working up to 25% without any deductions, anything over will be deducted for that week. If your earnings are greater than your EI payment, your 1 week gets pushed for later within your claim (Dec 2015 to Dec 2016). After Dec 2016, those hours you worked can be used to establish your new claim depending on when you apply.

Contact EI directly.. and talk to the CSR over the phone, they will have all your details and help you specifically on next steps. that is what they do. it they cant solve your case in 5-10 minutes, they will refer you to your local EI office.
Oct 12, 2015
4 posts
Calgary, AB
Hi,

I've been on 'working notice' for the last couple of months and my last day is the end of next week. Today I asked a HR person if I could have my vacation pay paid out to me, prior to my last day, thus reducing my EI wait time. She said I can have my vacation paid out to me early, but it will still be included on my ROE, so no difference in EI wait time. is this correct? i thought if I had it paid out early it shouldn't be include in my ROE.
thanks
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
Ok, perfect! Thank you that makes a lot of sense. And I will definitely give them a call! Thanks for your advice and help!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
wakka2u wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:29 pm
What do you mean you are know aware and you need to go back?

The following general comments should be confirmed with EI CSR: you established your Dec 2015 claim. you dont need to let EI know you have a new employer, just declare the earnings you worked for the specific weeks so that you wont be overpaid EI. technically EI benefits encourage work, including working up to 25% without any deductions, anything over will be deducted for that week. If your earnings are greater than your EI payment, your 1 week gets pushed for later within your claim (Dec 2015 to Dec 2016). After Dec 2016, those hours you worked can be used to establish your new claim depending on when you apply.

Contact EI directly.. and talk to the CSR over the phone, they will have all your details and help you specifically on next steps. that is what they do. it they cant solve your case in 5-10 minutes, they will refer you to your local EI office.
The 25% rule isn't in effect and hasn't been for a long time. They also won't refer you to your local office in that situation... Or really any situation. Local offices have less knowledge and power to take action on claims.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel