• May 26th, 2017 7:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
ALF1984 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:53 am
No, I never did work over times where I was collecting benefits. With my side job I often go weeks where I won't work for my technically part time job. She only calls me Sparatically when she really needs help. So I've never lied on any reports. I was payed off from my school job, and not getting any hours from second job.
If you've never worked while actively collecting benefits, you don't need to amend anything. Im assuming that isn't the case and you have worked while collecting benefits at the same time. If I'm right, which I am, you need to call in to amend your reports. You'll owe money back.

I'm also going to assume you're not actively looking for work during the periods you have off from school.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
Siguard wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:03 pm
Hi,

I've been on 'working notice' for the last couple of months and my last day is the end of next week. Today I asked a HR person if I could have my vacation pay paid out to me, prior to my last day, thus reducing my EI wait time. She said I can have my vacation paid out to me early, but it will still be included on my ROE, so no difference in EI wait time. is this correct? i thought if I had it paid out early it shouldn't be include in my ROE.
thanks
Why wouldn't it be included on your ROE? It's income from employment.
Apr 3, 2017
7 posts
No that's exactly right, I've never worked my second job while collecting benefits. Ok, that you for the help. This was my first year collecting them, so just a bunch of new information. I have looked for work, hard to find a job that will higher you for two weeks though.
Jul 8, 2009
802 posts
209 upvotes
Newmarket
I have heard of people get EI sickness benefit for up to a year, however the government's official website states "a maximum of 15 weeks". If I don't recover after 15 weeks, with doctor's documentation, what is the next step for me in terms of collecting EI?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
dk87 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:52 am
I have heard of people get EI sickness benefit for up to a year, however the government's official website states "a maximum of 15 weeks". If I don't recover after 15 weeks, with doctor's documentation, what is the next step for me in terms of collecting EI?
Nothing. You get 15 weeks and that's it.
Aug 19, 2012
43 posts
3 upvotes
Are there any good threads here to answer questions about severance packages? Is there anyone in this thread who has experience negotiating a severance package? Thanks.
Jul 8, 2009
802 posts
209 upvotes
Newmarket
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:43 pm
Nothing. You get 15 weeks and that's it.
Once I finish 15 weeks for sickness EI, can i convert to regular EI? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
dk87 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 12:49 am
Once I finish 15 weeks for sickness EI, can i convert to regular EI? thanks
Not if you haven't recovered. If you have recovered you should be going back to work
Apr 6, 2017
1 posts
so i was layed off in november 2016 and figured i did not have enough hours for ei as a first time applicant so i waited until january 2017 to apply. I came to find out that a previous employer did not file electronicly and had sent my roe to old adress and when asked to send me another copy to new adress he basicly told me i was beat for it as he already sent me one and its not his problem. I filed a request for roe through service canada and finaly 4 months later he says he sent it but he actualy sent me a t4 instead and is now ignoring me. So i went to service canada/ontario whichever deals with ei and explained my situation. So they told me they were sending my t4 into ei stating urgent and told me to call back in a week and explain my situation directly to ei and say i am in dier need as i am behind in rent bills ect.. If they are able to use my t4 how long am i waiting to recieve a back pay payment roughly if my case is fast tracked? And am i eligable for backpay to the date i was layed off or just to the time that i first applied?
Jul 8, 2009
802 posts
209 upvotes
Newmarket
clseea wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 1:52 am
Not if you haven't recovered. If you have recovered you should be going back to work
Just to clarify, I will provide a summary of the situation. My parent fell on ice and has been diagnosed with concussion symptoms back in January. She is unable to work and her workplace has issued a ROE with "shortage of work" as the reason. Her EI sickness benefit is coming to an end in late April. If she recovers and is able to work, while looking for a new job is she not eligible for regular EI benefits?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
dk87 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 12:36 pm
Just to clarify, I will provide a summary of the situation. My parent fell on ice and has been diagnosed with concussion symptoms back in January. She is unable to work and her workplace has issued a ROE with "shortage of work" as the reason. Her EI sickness benefit is coming to an end in late April. If she recovers and is able to work, while looking for a new job is she not eligible for regular EI benefits?
Yes in that case she would likely qualify. She would have to request to have her claim converted to a regular claim if there is actually no work available and she has recovered.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
Unclechris wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 9:46 am
so i was layed off in november 2016 and figured i did not have enough hours for ei as a first time applicant so i waited until january 2017 to apply. I came to find out that a previous employer did not file electronicly and had sent my roe to old adress and when asked to send me another copy to new adress he basicly told me i was beat for it as he already sent me one and its not his problem. I filed a request for roe through service canada and finaly 4 months later he says he sent it but he actualy sent me a t4 instead and is now ignoring me. So i went to service canada/ontario whichever deals with ei and explained my situation. So they told me they were sending my t4 into ei stating urgent and told me to call back in a week and explain my situation directly to ei and say i am in dier need as i am behind in rent bills ect.. If they are able to use my t4 how long am i waiting to recieve a back pay payment roughly if my case is fast tracked? And am i eligable for backpay to the date i was layed off or just to the time that i first applied?
You're eligible to back pay to when you applied as you're outside of the 28 day time frame to apply for benefits.

You could apply for what's called an 'antedate' request which is a request to backdate your claim to the date of lay off. You would have to call the EI hotline to do this.
Apr 7, 2017
3 posts
Hello, so I just applied for EI sickness benefits, as I have injured my arms and can't work for a bit. I know while you are on EI you have to tell them of any money you receive. For the past six months or so, my boyfriend has been signing his cheques he gets from work so we can deposit them into my bank account because it's easier to deal with paying the bills, putting money aside, etc. when the money is all in one place. While I'm on EI, I'm assuming that we can no longer do that?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
DelilahBaggins wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 10:00 am
Hello, so I just applied for EI sickness benefits, as I have injured my arms and can't work for a bit. I know while you are on EI you have to tell them of any money you receive. For the past six months or so, my boyfriend has been signing his cheques he gets from work so we can deposit them into my bank account because it's easier to deal with paying the bills, putting money aside, etc. when the money is all in one place. While I'm on EI, I'm assuming that we can no longer do that?
No issue, it's not income you're earning. It's simply a shared bank account
Apr 7, 2017
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 10:51 am
No issue, it's not income you're earning. It's simply a shared bank account
Hello, thanks for answering :) It technically isn't a shared bank account. It's under my name solely, we just use it as an "unofficial" joint account, so to speak. That's why I'm concerned that I will run into problems.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel