• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 12:07 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
DelilahBaggins wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:12 am
Hello, thanks for answering :) It technically isn't a shared bank account. It's under my name solely, we just use it as an "unofficial" joint account, so to speak. That's why I'm concerned that I will run into problems.
Service Canada doesn't monitor your bank account and it is t monies from earnings so it doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.
Apr 7, 2017
3 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:05 pm
Service Canada doesn't monitor your bank account and it is t monies from earnings so it doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.
Ok thank you :) I've never been on EI before, so I am a bit paranoid after hearing horror stories on the internet.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
DelilahBaggins wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:14 pm
Ok thank you :) I've never been on EI before, so I am a bit paranoid after hearing horror stories on the internet.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet :p
Apr 5, 2016
13 posts
2 upvotes
I got approved for EI over my two week spring break. Now I am going back to work as a substitute teacher for a few months. The only option on the online Claim is to say I got full time work, but i do not have full time work. It varies every week. Most weeks I will be working enough that I won't get any money from EI though. So should I just keep filling out the forms every week stating the hours I work? Or should I stop filling them out altogether and then reactivate in July when I'm not actually working at all? I do not want to say I got full time work on the form, because I haven't. Very confusing. Thanks if anyone can help me?
Apr 8, 2017
0 posts
Hi,
I worked past 10 years and I recently got laid off meanwhile my dad got sick and I wanted to go backhome and spend atleast 6 to 8 months until he gets better. After I come back am I eligible to get EI? please advise.

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8751 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
yes you are eligible, but you should apply now rather than when you return. Report you are out of country so you won't get paid in the first 6 month or so.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Hello. First time user.

Does anyone know how I can stop an EI claim without claiming that I found a full-time job? I started the claim a month ago and after a less than stellar job search, I opted to pursue an online training program in affiliate marketing that I want to dedicate my time to. Since I'm not going to be actively looking for work, there's no reason for me to be continuing my current claim. Does anyone know how I can go about canceling my current claim without having to declare that I found a full time job since that seems to be the only way to do it when filing the reports? I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Edited for clarification.
Last edited by MainTunnelDome24 on Apr 11th, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Hello.

I was wondering if there was a way to cancel an EI claim without claiming I found a full-time job. The reason I ask is because I joined an online affiliate marketing program and want to focus my time on getting that off the ground. Since I'm not actively looking for work as a result, there's no point in continuing my current claim. If anyone can help me out of this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 12:52 am
Hello.

I was wondering if there was a way to cancel an EI claim without claiming I found a full-time job. The reason I ask is because I joined an online affiliate marketing program and want to focus my time on getting that off the ground. Since I'm not actively looking for work as a result, there's no point in continuing my current claim. If anyone can help me out of this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You can just stop reporting and it will essentially suspend your claim.
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 9:14 am
You can just stop reporting and it will essentially suspend your claim.
If I stop reporting, won't they eventually call to ask why?

Apologies if I come off as asking too many questions out of the gate. The only time I ever stopped reporting is when I found work and someone would usually call to check up.

Also, apologies for the double post. I tried posting the first time and after editing it a bit, the post fell off the face of the Earth.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1359 posts
400 upvotes
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 10:35 am
If I stop reporting, won't they eventually call to ask why?

Apologies if I come off as asking too many questions out of the gate. The only time I ever stopped reporting is when I found work and someone would usually call to check up.

Also, apologies for the double post. I tried posting the first time and after editing it a bit, the post fell off the face of the Earth.
No one will call to check up. They only ways to suspend your claim is report you found full time work or you stop reporting.

You don't want to 'cancel' your claim as that process is arduous and you wouldn't have the option to reopen your claim should you need benefits prior to the claim expiring.
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 10:48 am
No one will call to check up. They only ways to suspend your claim is report you found full time work or you stop reporting.

You don't want to 'cancel' your claim as that process is arduous and you wouldn't have the option to reopen your claim should you need benefits prior to the claim expiring.
If that's the case, then that settles it. Thanks.
Apr 12, 2017
1 posts
Hi,

First of all thank you for all the time and effort that you put into answering everyone's questions!. As a first time user of EI I have a few questions myself I was hoping you might be able to answer for me.

1. I was laid off from my sales consulting job 8 months ago and in a high paying and specialized are its been very difficult to find a suitable replacement. My question is what happens if EI audits my claim in regards to suitable job search efforts?. I've kept a decent record of Internet search, networking and resumes sent but there are some lapses. Would my benefits be cut or a fine or repayment needed?.

2. My claim was originally approved until the end of May 2017, but when I looked last week it appears they have extended it to January 2018 why would this be?

Thanks in advance
Oct 12, 2015
4 posts
Calgary, AB
Hello,

I'm soon to be laid off and I'll be recieving 8 months of vacation & severance pay. The company has asked me to possibly return on a "as needed/on call basis" as either an independent contractor or a casual employee. My question is; 1) how would working during my EI waiting time effect my claim? and 2) would there be any difference in being a contractor or a casual employee as far as my claim is concerned? i think working as a casual employee pays into Ei, whereas a contractor does not.

Thank you!
Mar 21, 2013
446 posts
189 upvotes
EDMONTON
Hey all,

I have a full time job as an academic researcher making $72k and I pay a bunch in EI. However, I have also been a realtor for several years and do $60-$100k per year in real estate in the evenings on top of my job.

If I lose my job, is there any way I am eligible for EI if I am still out trying to sell real estate and have made some extra money in that year?

Assuming I can't collect EI, is there anyway I can opt out of paying it? Or is it just another tax paid by me to benefit everyone else?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)