• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
Mar 21, 2013
381 posts
133 upvotes
EDMONTON
BiegeToyota wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 1:25 am
Why wouldn't you be eligible for ei? You are not self employed.
On the real estate side I am a self-employed independent contractor, almost all residential realtors are.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3902 posts
1021 upvotes
Kingston, ON
You'd still theoretically be eligible for EI Parental Leave or (unless you have Short Term Disability through work benefits) EI Sickness. It does cover more than unemployment benefits, technically.

Even if you never do use it, at least the insurance is only ~$900 a year and not thousands anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7110 posts
894 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
You can't opt out if you are an employee. If you are self employed, then you can opt out on those earnings.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3535 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
BiegeToyota wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 1:25 am
Why wouldn't you be eligible for ei? You are not self employed.
Because his self employment income means he'd never collect.

OP, the fact is that you COULD still collect EI if both your jobs stop producing income. The fact that you don't think your real estate job will stop producing income is beside the point.

So I think you're SOL.

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7657 posts
1215 upvotes
Edmonton
You're not qualifying for regular benefits unless your license is revoked, suspended or surrendered. You'll be deemed to be self employed since you control your hours of work and have a contract for service. It makes zero difference if you do it at night.

Even if that weren't the case, your earnings from realty would negate any benefits from EI.

As long as you're working in insurable employment you're going to pay into EI.
Apr 16, 2017
1 posts
Good morning! Thanks for answering all of these questions! I was hoping you could answer mine.
I have a situation where I can't work because I have a foot injury. Here's the situation.
I started working in December at my first retail job (and quite frankly, my first job ever). Two weeks in, I began feeling a pain in my left foot towards the end of the day. I assumed it was just pain from standing for 8 hours, being that I had never worked retail before. But as the weeks went on, it got worse. I kept trying to buy new pairs of shoes, new insoles, but alas, to no avail.
So finally, about three and a half months after my employment, I went to get an X-ray and ultrasound done. Nothing came up.
To be honest, I would apply for WSIB as I believe there is a good chance it was a workplace injury, however, I feel that I have no chance of getting it as I didn't report anything to my employer in the beginning (although he certainly heard me complain about the pain.)
I can't go back to work until I find out what is wrong with my foot because it keeps getting worse as I keep working. I am going to have some more tests done to see what is wrong with it.
I would really appreciate it if you could give me some insight into if I have a case with EI, and how to go about this the right way. Cheers!
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Hello, quick question to follow-up on my previous one.

I've been sent a letter to attend a claimant information session that requires I submit a log of my job search efforts for a two week period. As I've stated in a previous post, I wanted to cease my EI claims due to focusing my time on an online affiliate marketing program (thus not actively looking for work) and it's been suggested that I should just stop filing reports to get that claim suspended. Since the two weeks in question coincide with the period of time that I won't be reporting on, will I still need to attend this session and if so, how do I go about explaining my reasoning for not filing reports? I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.
Last edited by MainTunnelDome24 on Apr 17th, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2016
2 posts
Hi I had a quick question, I previously did not realize that for my last job I could apply for EI which was two years ago, is it possible to take claims retroactively because my previous job I did pay into EI.
Jan 13, 2013
12 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
Hi,
I was let go from an employer in April 2016. After working there for 8 years I received 8 months income protection package. My Income protection ended on Nov 2016. On Nov 2016 I found a full time job but the employer wasn't happy with my performance and he's extending my probation for another month till May 2017. I have a feeling that on May 2017 my boss will fire me for poor performance. I read that you can't claim EI if you get fired so my question is can I still claim EI from my previous employer where I was let go on April 2016?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1304 posts
369 upvotes
SoaringSeagle97 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 12:17 pm
Good morning! Thanks for answering all of these questions! I was hoping you could answer mine.
I have a situation where I can't work because I have a foot injury. Here's the situation.
I started working in December at my first retail job (and quite frankly, my first job ever). Two weeks in, I began feeling a pain in my left foot towards the end of the day. I assumed it was just pain from standing for 8 hours, being that I had never worked retail before. But as the weeks went on, it got worse. I kept trying to buy new pairs of shoes, new insoles, but alas, to no avail.
So finally, about three and a half months after my employment, I went to get an X-ray and ultrasound done. Nothing came up.
To be honest, I would apply for WSIB as I believe there is a good chance it was a workplace injury, however, I feel that I have no chance of getting it as I didn't report anything to my employer in the beginning (although he certainly heard me complain about the pain.)
I can't go back to work until I find out what is wrong with my foot because it keeps getting worse as I keep working. I am going to have some more tests done to see what is wrong with it.
I would really appreciate it if you could give me some insight into if I have a case with EI, and how to go about this the right way. Cheers!
You would likely not qualify for WSIB as you don't know what's wrong with your foot. The WSIB provides compensation from a work related injury from an accident/accident situation at work. It would be hard to determine your foot pain is specifically caused by you standing and walking at work as standing and walking are actions of every day life. Standing and walking are not accidents or accident situations.

Anyways, for EI you would need 600 hours of ensurable hours in the last year and either a record of employment that indicates you're off work for illness or injury or a doctors note for EI stating you're incapable of work from your illness or injury from x date to x date.

I would recommend you go see a chiropodist as it's likely you have some sort of foot or arch problems which causes pain after standing for too long. It's likely you would need orthotics to assist with this problem.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1304 posts
369 upvotes
chtchan wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 1:00 pm
Hi I had a quick question, I previously did not realize that for my last job I could apply for EI which was two years ago, is it possible to take claims retroactively because my previous job I did pay into EI.
You can apply but you wouldn't be approved likely. Not knowing you could apply is not a reasonable excuse to wait for two years.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1304 posts
369 upvotes
orian11 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:19 pm
Hi,
I was let go from an employer in April 2016. After working there for 8 years I received 8 months income protection package. My Income protection ended on Nov 2016. On Nov 2016 I found a full time job but the employer wasn't happy with my performance and he's extending my probation for another month till May 2017. I have a feeling that on May 2017 my boss will fire me for poor performance. I read that you can't claim EI if you get fired so my question is can I still claim EI from my previous employer where I was let go on April 2016?
You can apply if you're terminated if you can prove it was due to no fault of your own. If you were fired with cause you may not be eligible for benefits.
Jan 24, 2015
12 posts
1 upvote
Carleton Place
Hi, I have a question maybe you can help out with.. tried calling in about 5 times and its so busy you cant even wait on hold.

I work as a chef and the owner has sold a majority share of the restaurant to a person who is gonna now be employed as the owner/manager/chef which means no room for me.. They have offered me a part time salary with part time hours..is this something I need to accept and carry on or could I quit? the reduction in wage and salary would be about half with no title.
Apr 17, 2017
4 posts
hello,

I'm on the tail end of my EI, 22 weeks in still haven't found work, 14 weeks left
my former employer has recently issued me a mid 4 figure cheque for (to which they agreed in a release) is for general damages incurred during the course of my employment

I don't ask to re-visit how EI treats settlements right now as there is quite a bit online already about that, suffice to say at some point in the future they may challenge the general damages characterization but I do have proof of damages incurred

my question is more about reporting:
am I ok for now not reporting the payment on the biweekly report (the question about "any other monies")...my understanding is that I am only obliged to report earnings/income and since general damages payment is not earnings/nor income I would be justified in not reporting it

any insight on this matter would mean more than you know
p
Last edited by michaelsmithson on Apr 18th, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.