• May 26th, 2017 7:27 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4164 posts
596 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:50 am
Are you self employed while on EI? You need to report this and report your earnings in your reports.

Your earnings are you earnings.
On paper, I am an employee of the business and others. My EI claim was from being laid off from another company.

But the business gets paid at random intervals depending on business activity. Then my personal account gets paid at other certain times, or never if the earnings are spent on the business. e.g. Suppose business gets paid $5,000 this week, but it spends $5,000 on office equipment and tools. Then it has $0 to give to me personally, unless I purposely force it to draw down its cash balance.
Apr 22, 2017
3 posts
yycaccountant wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:03 pm
Hi All
Quick question. I have an EI claim that is running from January 2016 to September 2017, with 63 weeks of entitlement. In October 2016 i accepted what was to be a 1 month contract job. Since it was a shorter term contract I planned on keeping my EI claim active and reporting active earning for two reporting periods. The contract was extended a couple time but will be over in May. I have continued to report earnings every two weeks and have not had an entitled paid out week since October.

My question is my claim expires in in approx 20 weeks and I have about 40 weeks of entitlement. Since I held a job for 7 months that paid into EI is it worth calling in to see if I can have my claim extended? Does anyone have experience if this would qualify for an extension to my claim period? Or would this happen automatically if eligible when service Canada receives my ROE

Thanks

Bump
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 12:21 pm
Hello, quick question to follow-up on my previous one.

I've been sent a letter to attend a claimant information session that requires I submit a log of my job search efforts for a two week period. As I've stated in a previous post, I wanted to cease my EI claims due to focusing my time on an online affiliate marketing program (thus not actively looking for work) and it's been suggested that I should just stop filing reports to get that claim suspended. Since the two weeks in question coincide with the period of time that I won't be reporting on, will I still need to attend this session and if so, how do I go about explaining my reasoning for not filing reports? I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.
Apologies for bumping, but I'd appreciate any help on the above matter.
Mar 17, 2016
284 posts
170 upvotes
Kind of a dumb questions guys:

My mom is currently employed full time. The place she works at (she's been there full time for 3-4 years) is getting really toxic. They just fired her manager recently. She is constantly overworked and wants out.

I want her to go on EI and start looking for another job right away. She can't just quit right? What are the conditions to get EI? Does she need to be let go? When you're fired, you're not eligible for EI as well?

If someone can help out or point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
yycaccountant wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:56 am
Bump
If you worked for 7 months full time you would likely be eligible to qualify for a new claim once your current claim has run out, providing you haven't found a new job by then.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:36 am
Apologies for bumping, but I'd appreciate any help on the above matter.
If you don't attend the session your benefits will be suspended until you do.

I would advise you to attend the session and if you chose to suspend your claim afterwards you can either stop reporting or report that you have found full time work. Otherwise, if you don't attend the session and should you want to collect benefits in this claim in the future you would have to arrange to attend a future session which may cause further delays in your claim.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:41 am
Kind of a dumb questions guys:

My mom is currently employed full time. The place she works at (she's been there full time for 3-4 years) is getting really toxic. They just fired her manager recently. She is constantly overworked and wants out.

I want her to go on EI and start looking for another job right away. She can't just quit right? What are the conditions to get EI? Does she need to be let go? When you're fired, you're not eligible for EI as well?

If someone can help out or point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!
She can't quite unless she has shown that she has attempted all reasonable alternatives prior to quitting.

She can collect EI if it was found that she wasn't terminated with cause or that her termination was due to no fault of her own.

You can look up on google through the EI program for all the valid reasons for quitting. I've already posted it multiple times in this thread so you should be able to find it easy enough.
Dec 1, 2007
24 posts
1 upvote
Hello, need some guidance on my EI situation.

Currently on regular EI benefits, eligible until Nov 2017.

Recently been dealing with a medical issue, have a doctor's note that qualifies me for the full 15 weeks of sickness benefit if needed.

My questions:

1) Should I apply for sickness benefits (15 weeks) now or stay with my regular EI claim (24 weeks remaining)?

2) Assuming the main difference is I won't be expected to look for work while on sickness benefits?

3) Once my sickness benefits runs out, does Service Canada automatically switch me back to regular EI benefits?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
Barg00n wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:39 pm
Hello, need some guidance on my EI situation.

Currently on regular EI benefits, eligible until Nov 2017.

Recently been dealing with a medical issue, have a doctor's note that qualifies me for the full 15 weeks of sickness benefit if needed.

My questions:

1) Should I apply for sickness benefits (15 weeks) now or stay with my regular EI claim (24 weeks remaining)?

2) Assuming the main difference is I won't be expected to look for work while on sickness benefits?

3) Once my sickness benefits runs out, does Service Canada automatically switch me back to regular EI benefits?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1. You need to call in to request a conversion to sick. It's not another application. Also submit your doctors note. It's not really a choice if you're medically unable to work.

2. No you're not required to look for work

3. If you're medically cleared to work at 15 weeks or before, call in to convert back. If you're not medically cleared you won't be eligible for anything until you are cleared.
Apr 25, 2017
2 posts
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am freaking out a bit and need some help.

I have been on EI for about 6 weeks now. Always reported on time, but I was asked to come to a claimant information session. Like an idiot I put it in my calendar as Thursday April 27th, and just now realized (after re reading the letter to prepare for tomorrow) it was on Thursday April 20th so I missed it!!!!! Does this mean on Friday when I do my report my benefits will be held for sure?? Do I call them tomorrow and explain and reschedule and then my benefits are fine?? I am a single mom of two kids and I will be absolutely beyond screwed if I don't get my payment on Tuesday. I am almost in tears. My son is severely learning disabled as well as autistic and recently has been having so many issues and my brain is melting. Please tell me what I should do :(
Apr 25, 2017
2 posts
I also missed my meeting and wondering how soon after you miss it do they cancel your payments!! I'm supposed to file my report on Friday and then get my payment on Tuesday. Will this not happen now? Can I call them tomorrow and have it fixed quickly??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
TiffanieY0901 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:07 pm
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am freaking out a bit and need some help.

I have been on EI for about 6 weeks now. Always reported on time, but I was asked to come to a claimant information session. Like an idiot I put it in my calendar as Thursday April 27th, and just now realized (after re reading the letter to prepare for tomorrow) it was on Thursday April 20th so I missed it!!!!! Does this mean on Friday when I do my report my benefits will be held for sure?? Do I call them tomorrow and explain and reschedule and then my benefits are fine?? I am a single mom of two kids and I will be absolutely beyond screwed if I don't get my payment on Tuesday. I am almost in tears. My son is severely learning disabled as well as autistic and recently has been having so many issues and my brain is melting. Please tell me what I should do :(
TiffanieY0901 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:24 pm
I also missed my meeting and wondering how soon after you miss it do they cancel your payments!! I'm supposed to file my report on Friday and then get my payment on Tuesday. Will this not happen now? Can I call them tomorrow and have it fixed quickly??
There's generally a disentitlement placed on the claim if someone flat out misses the session. Meaning you're likely not getting paid until you get in touch with Integrity.

There is a number on the letter you received from Integrity, call it to reschedule. You can call into the call center but they can't do anything but forward the issue. They don't input that specific disentitlement nor are they able to remove it. However, they'll be able to tell you if there even is a disentitlement you need to worry about.

Getting things fixed quickly isn't really in the Government's vocabulary
Mar 29, 2017
6 posts
hey everyone i have a question about maternity leave, so i am currently pregnant due in June i have been on sick leave for 15 weeks i was told i was entitled to 15 weeks sick leave ,17 weeks maternity leave and 32 weeks for parental leave. My maternity leave started April 11 but when i view my claim online it says that the end date of the claim is December 9 2017 which means i wont be getting my full year and i will definitely not be ready to go back in December. I have called service Canada and they told me that once December 9 comes around it will add on the extra weeks, this makes me a little nervous. Has anyone else had any experiences with this?
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Got a call from 1-855-249-2290 ext. 4089614583

I know the number is the actual Service Canada number, but when I tried entering the extension, the system claims there's no one with that number.

Any help is appreciated in this matter.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
stephaniefreitas wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 9:29 pm
hey everyone i have a question about maternity leave, so i am currently pregnant due in June i have been on sick leave for 15 weeks i was told i was entitled to 15 weeks sick leave ,17 weeks maternity leave and 32 weeks for parental leave. My maternity leave started April 11 but when i view my claim online it says that the end date of the claim is December 9 2017 which means i wont be getting my full year and i will definitely not be ready to go back in December. I have called service Canada and they told me that once December 9 comes around it will add on the extra weeks, this makes me a little nervous. Has anyone else had any experiences with this?
Your claim will only show the initial 52 week benefit period. You'll be entitled to 65 weeks of combined benefits (15 sick, 15 maternity, 35 parental). Once you hit the end of your initial benefit period you'll get an extension.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel