Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7703 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:45 am
Got a call from 1-855-249-2290 ext. 4089614583

I know the number is the actual Service Canada number, but when I tried entering the extension, the system claims there's no one with that number.

Any help is appreciated in this matter.
Try 1-855-249-2290 ext 418-781-9349
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:18 am
Try 1-855-249-2290 ext 418-781-9349
Do I use that number even though I'm not outside the country?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7703 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:39 am
Do I use that number even though I'm not outside the country?
I don't know why you were called. Either call that number or the general line.
May 31, 2015
69 posts
15 upvotes
MainTunnelDome24 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:45 am
Got a call from 1-855-249-2290 ext. 4089614583

I know the number is the actual Service Canada number, but when I tried entering the extension, the system claims there's no one with that number.

Any help is appreciated in this matter.
It's probably 418 and not 408. Try that instead.
Apr 10, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
amb1977 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 10:02 am
It's probably 418 and not 408. Try that instead.
It's 418. Called and left a message. Thanks.
Feb 28, 2010
13 posts
67 upvotes
Brampton
My dad missed applying for ei during his one week layoff. He is part of a group with a reference number. On the paper he brought home, it did not state a due date. Can my dad still apply for it? Or appeal or something?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1355 posts
395 upvotes
babyswt wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 4:28 pm
My dad missed applying for ei during his one week layoff. He is part of a group with a reference number. On the paper he brought home, it did not state a due date. Can my dad still apply for it? Or appeal or something?

Thanks in advance!
If he was only off for one week he wouldn't have been paid for anything anyways. Can you give us some more details as per why he missed it and whether he applied at all?

Not really sure what the question is there.
May 2, 2017
1 posts
I applied for regular EI benefits back at the end of February of this year, and only just got the results of my claim yesterday. All of my past employment, aside from one, got approved for hours to count towards my claim. The employment that wasn't approved did not qualify because they believe that I left a full-time job for a part-time seasonal job, which did NOT happen. So I guess my question is this.. If you have a full-time job and they decide to hire someone new, who becomes the manager on their second day providing them the control of employee scheduling and such. This individual decided that they really liked my hours, and began cutting my hours back so they could have them until there was no hours being offered to me anymore. In this time frame I applied for a small part-time seasonal job to make up a little for the hours I was being cut back, but was only like 3-4 hours a week on the days I had off at my full-time employment. Once my employment hours had been totally depleted at my full-time job I did confront my employer about the situation and my concerns and they handled it in a very unprofessional​ manner. As a result of this, they very cowardly never called me in for work after that nor did they offer me any hours after having that conversation with them basically telling me to suck it up and that was how it was going to be. So since I wasn't being given any hours with them at all, my only choice was to work at my other job until I found another full-time job elsewhere, which I did :-) Embarrassingly, total earnings at my part-time job was only $200 in the entire time I worked there, I think that can prove alone that I did not leave my full-time employment for that job, because believe me I did not want to be homeless.

Aside from all this I got the fortunate luck of dealing with a not so pleasant agent. He wasn't nice or helpful by any means, in fact he actually had me in tears during one of our conversations over the phone as he was laughing at me and telling me what he thought happened. He didn't listen to me at all, always cutting me off and not letting me finish my sentences and repeating the same question 20 times even after I gave him the same answer 20 times, I believe he had hopes I would tell him something he'd want to hear? Is this a normal tactic? (This is my first time applying)

I did call today and yesterday and spoke with two lovely people who reviewed the notes on my case and they told me that the decision was much based on personal opinion of the agent who dealt with my case, fact I believe he said it was a very bias opinion and that I should most definitely apply for a reconsideration?? LONG STORY SHORT! Would it be worth it to apply for that? Or will I get the same intimidating agent again?? I'm so lost, and contemplating applying for welfare at this point. If I apply for consideration am I looking at 3 months before a decision is made?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8750 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
Visit your MP's office and ask them to expedite the reconsideration process. Also, Call 1-866-506-6806 and file a complaint with Office for Client Satisfaction (OCS) to file a complaint. Report this agent's conduct and he will have to answer for it.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
May 2, 2017
2 posts
I have a question about what are considered earnings that affect EI benefits

I am currently receiving regular EI benefits. I received a letter from a Union Pension Plan that I was required to fill out a form for the money that I had payed into the plan when i was working at that job. I had to either get payed out or transfer it to another plan, and I opted to get paid out. I am now wondering if this affects my EI earnings at all?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7703 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
EleanorRigby wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 6:37 pm
I have a question about what are considered earnings that affect EI benefits

I am currently receiving regular EI benefits. I received a letter from a Union Pension Plan that I was required to fill out a form for the money that I had payed into the plan when i was working at that job. I had to either get payed out or transfer it to another plan, and I opted to get paid out. I am now wondering if this affects my EI earnings at all?
Depends, is it solely the money you paid in, or are there employer contributions as well?
May 2, 2017
2 posts
clseea wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 9:23 pm
Depends, is it solely the money you paid in, or are there employer contributions as well?
It's only the money I paid into it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7703 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
EleanorRigby wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 9:34 pm
It's only the money I paid into it.
Then no need to declare it. It's not income from employment.
May 3, 2017
1 posts
Hello all! I am very happy to have found this thread.

Long story, but here goes...
Back in Dec the company I work for got sold to a large corporation. Since then the location that I work at has changed, the hours have changed, and the job itself has become much more demanding. I was basically forced to take a managerial position that I did not want nor ask for, and since Jan, I have been becoming more and more miserable. My employers have done nothing but treat me like garbage since Jan, and it has been taking a very VERY serious toll on my mental health. As of the last few weeks, I'm crying all of the time (Even when not at work.) because I am so stressed out. I am not able to step down from my position as there is literally nobody else to fill it. I have been strongarmed by the corporation I work for to work excessive hours by myself with little to no breaks. And just today my regional manager tried to tell me that I couldn't be paid for some of the overtime I've NEEDED to work (Or else the store would have to close, and we're in a mall which means big big fines).

I also am dealing with way too much stress in my personal life (Jobless husband since August 2016, my mother is going through her second battle with cancer in a 2 year time frame, we are on the verge of getting evicted because the house I live in may need some structural upgrades...) I have a long history of mental health issues. I spent a lot of my life depressed and on medications for that, however I have never EVER been as depressed as I am now, and I'm getting concerned that I have no way out of this job, as I am my family's current breadwinner. I have been trying to find a new job, basically anywhere, to hopefully be able to regain my sanity and mental health, but to no avail.

I plan to go to a Doctor at a walk in clinic tomorrow (As my doctor is 3+ hours away), but the thought of coming back here to work Monday morning is causing me to have anxiety attacks, almost hourly. Anytime I think about it, really... I guess this long story is basically me asking, if I go to a doctor tomorrow, and tell him all of the above things, assuming he thinks it would be in my best interest to take leave from my job, how long will I have to continue working here between seeing a Doctor, and finding out if I'm eligible for medical EI? I mean, I know if I got laid off, I'd be eligible for EI, but I'm not sure if there's more strict regulations on medical EI and I don't want to be left without ANY income.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this, I really appreciate any insight.
May 4, 2017
1 posts
After receiving an appeal through the tribunal in my favor in regards to money that was not supposed to be allocated against my claim from a settlement (damages), which was, EI has now reached back into the time I was receiving Sick Benefits, stating that there was an overpayment. First off, I was still employed and second, Sick Benefits are not regular benefits. I have paid back over $3000.00 and now they are saying I still owe over $2500. My regular EI payments did not start until 5 months in. I call the Service Center and no one can explain to me what is going on. Can they do this? Can they ask me to repay money back on Sick Benefits? It seems I am being penalized for no apparent reason other than that they refuse to acknowledge that they owe me money. I don't understand.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)