Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 7:27 pm
Jan 27, 2016
3 posts
Burlington, ON
Quick summary of events: Was in a meeting with the owner of the store (I was the manager), and we were reviewing finance with other employees present. He gave me explicit permission to keep running things as we reviewed; however the next day, he accused me of questioning his integrity (which I assume came about due to my inquiries on fiscal operations etc) and de-facto firing me via text. Then gave the same duties to two of my other subordinates.

Already been through the initial and reconsideration process, and both agents denied me EI based on his credibility (the strength of his sole word as owner), versus my credibility (I provided several witnesses, documentation, conversations and text messages to show full transparency). He has lied to these agents and was "adamant that he did not give me permission", whereas I fully provided pages of evidence and signed affidavits by my witnesses otherwise.

I am at a loss with the realization that a business owner can say whatever they want knowing their position protects them.

In my conversation with the second agent, it came to mind that after several minutes of lines of questioning that she did not even bother to read the additional documentation I had provided since it provided most of the answers she was looking for. She excused herself saying it was the end of the workday and she needed to peruse what I sent. She called me the following day and curtly replied that I was still denied EI with no explanation whatsoever.

I have no idea as to how a business owner's word trumps my credibility, the latter as something I have worked on and diligently provided evidence of.

Not really looking to proceed to the tribunal process, but I want both parties held accountable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
injection wrote:
May 4th, 2017 9:40 pm
Hello all! I am very happy to have found this thread.

Long story, but here goes...
Back in Dec the company I work for got sold to a large corporation. Since then the location that I work at has changed, the hours have changed, and the job itself has become much more demanding. I was basically forced to take a managerial position that I did not want nor ask for, and since Jan, I have been becoming more and more miserable. My employers have done nothing but treat me like garbage since Jan, and it has been taking a very VERY serious toll on my mental health. As of the last few weeks, I'm crying all of the time (Even when not at work.) because I am so stressed out. I am not able to step down from my position as there is literally nobody else to fill it. I have been strongarmed by the corporation I work for to work excessive hours by myself with little to no breaks. And just today my regional manager tried to tell me that I couldn't be paid for some of the overtime I've NEEDED to work (Or else the store would have to close, and we're in a mall which means big big fines).

I also am dealing with way too much stress in my personal life (Jobless husband since August 2016, my mother is going through her second battle with cancer in a 2 year time frame, we are on the verge of getting evicted because the house I live in may need some structural upgrades...) I have a long history of mental health issues. I spent a lot of my life depressed and on medications for that, however I have never EVER been as depressed as I am now, and I'm getting concerned that I have no way out of this job, as I am my family's current breadwinner. I have been trying to find a new job, basically anywhere, to hopefully be able to regain my sanity and mental health, but to no avail.

I plan to go to a Doctor at a walk in clinic tomorrow (As my doctor is 3+ hours away), but the thought of coming back here to work Monday morning is causing me to have anxiety attacks, almost hourly. Anytime I think about it, really... I guess this long story is basically me asking, if I go to a doctor tomorrow, and tell him all of the above things, assuming he thinks it would be in my best interest to take leave from my job, how long will I have to continue working here between seeing a Doctor, and finding out if I'm eligible for medical EI? I mean, I know if I got laid off, I'd be eligible for EI, but I'm not sure if there's more strict regulations on medical EI and I don't want to be left without ANY income.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this, I really appreciate any insight.
Assuming the doctor tells you to stop working, it would likely be an immediate thing. A doctor you've never seen before likely isn't going to recommend that you quit, but you never know
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
DeniseH068709 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:40 am
After receiving an appeal through the tribunal in my favor in regards to money that was not supposed to be allocated against my claim from a settlement (damages), which was, EI has now reached back into the time I was receiving Sick Benefits, stating that there was an overpayment. First off, I was still employed and second, Sick Benefits are not regular benefits. I have paid back over $3000.00 and now they are saying I still owe over $2500. My regular EI payments did not start until 5 months in. I call the Service Center and no one can explain to me what is going on. Can they do this? Can they ask me to repay money back on Sick Benefits? It seems I am being penalized for no apparent reason other than that they refuse to acknowledge that they owe me money. I don't understand.
The type of benefits you receive makes no difference.. If there's an overpayment there's an overpayment. That being said, any money earned while collecting sick benefits is deducted dollar for dollar. Regular is 50%
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
Nickim wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:21 pm
Quick summary of events: Was in a meeting with the owner of the store (I was the manager), and we were reviewing finance with other employees present. He gave me explicit permission to keep running things as we reviewed; however the next day, he accused me of questioning his integrity (which I assume came about due to my inquiries on fiscal operations etc) and de-facto firing me via text. Then gave the same duties to two of my other subordinates.

Already been through the initial and reconsideration process, and both agents denied me EI based on his credibility (the strength of his sole word as owner), versus my credibility (I provided several witnesses, documentation, conversations and text messages to show full transparency). He has lied to these agents and was "adamant that he did not give me permission", whereas I fully provided pages of evidence and signed affidavits by my witnesses otherwise.

I am at a loss with the realization that a business owner can say whatever they want knowing their position protects them.

In my conversation with the second agent, it came to mind that after several minutes of lines of questioning that she did not even bother to read the additional documentation I had provided since it provided most of the answers she was looking for. She excused herself saying it was the end of the workday and she needed to peruse what I sent. She called me the following day and curtly replied that I was still denied EI with no explanation whatsoever.

I have no idea as to how a business owner's word trumps my credibility, the latter as something I have worked on and diligently provided evidence of.

Not really looking to proceed to the tribunal process, but I want both parties held accountable.
Take it to your MP
May 5, 2017
2 posts
Hi there,

First off, thank you for setting this up - beats the tar out of sitting on hold for 45 minutes and not being super clear when I hang up. :)

Here's the deal - I have been on EI for a few months and the search is progressing. I uncovered an opportunity for a couple of weeks of contract work with a company (not farming).

I have been set up as a contractor in their system and their setup is such that I invoice them for all services. Therefore I will not be a part-time employee nor will I receive a T4 at the end of the year.

Basically I do the work, invoice them the gross amount, they pay me a month later and I'm responsible for claiming the income at tax time and alerting EI to the earnings.

My question is around the notion of calling myself "Self-Employed" the next time I submit my information. I assume I will check this because the temporary employer will not be deducting any taxes. Again, no problem.

However, maybe I DON'T click Self-Employed... I'm not terribly clear on the definition of this with respect to my situation.

Where I get nervous is this: If I check "Yes" to Self-employed, does the system then think I'm self-employed forever and thus impact however much longer I'm on claim? Or will I just be considered self-employed the weeks where I can claim this contractor income and I can go back to saying I'm not self-employed the rest of the weeks until I return to regular work?

Also, the couple of weeks will likely be spaced out over the course of a couple of EI claim periods. Will I lose benefits for both weeks of the claim or just the week of the claim I worked and then get regular benefits for the other week? The rate is quite high so it's possible I would earn more in that one week than the entire value of my two week claim. I'm fine with that (just happy for the chance to prove myself with them) but want to be able to plan for the lost income since there'll be a delay before I'm paid for the contract work.

So, here's the TL;DR:
1. If I'm doing some contract work where I invoice a company, am I considered Self-employed?
2. If I check Yes to Self-Employed, am I considered Self-Employed for the entirety of the claim or can I go back to saying No when my couple of weeks of work ends?
2. If I earn more in a week than I would have received in two weeks of benefits, do I get clawed back just on the week I worked or the whole claim period?

Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
atomic1973 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 11:21 am
Hi there,

First off, thank you for setting this up - beats the tar out of sitting on hold for 45 minutes and not being super clear when I hang up. :)

Here's the deal - I have been on EI for a few months and the search is progressing. I uncovered an opportunity for a couple of weeks of contract work with a company (not farming).

I have been set up as a contractor in their system and their setup is such that I invoice them for all services. Therefore I will not be a part-time employee nor will I receive a T4 at the end of the year.

Basically I do the work, invoice them the gross amount, they pay me a month later and I'm responsible for claiming the income at tax time and alerting EI to the earnings.

My question is around the notion of calling myself "Self-Employed" the next time I submit my information. I assume I will check this because the temporary employer will not be deducting any taxes. Again, no problem.

However, maybe I DON'T click Self-Employed... I'm not terribly clear on the definition of this with respect to my situation.

Where I get nervous is this: If I check "Yes" to Self-employed, does the system then think I'm self-employed forever and thus impact however much longer I'm on claim? Or will I just be considered self-employed the weeks where I can claim this contractor income and I can go back to saying I'm not self-employed the rest of the weeks until I return to regular work?

Also, the couple of weeks will likely be spaced out over the course of a couple of EI claim periods. Will I lose benefits for both weeks of the claim or just the week of the claim I worked and then get regular benefits for the other week? The rate is quite high so it's possible I would earn more in that one week than the entire value of my two week claim. I'm fine with that (just happy for the chance to prove myself with them) but want to be able to plan for the lost income since there'll be a delay before I'm paid for the contract work.

So, here's the TL;DR:
1. If I'm doing some contract work where I invoice a company, am I considered Self-employed?
2. If I check Yes to Self-Employed, am I considered Self-Employed for the entirety of the claim or can I go back to saying No when my couple of weeks of work ends?
2. If I earn more in a week than I would have received in two weeks of benefits, do I get clawed back just on the week I worked or the whole claim period?

Thank you!
Most of these questions aren't really simple yes/no answers. Your claim will need to be assessed by CRA to determine if you're actually self employed. Many employers do what yours is doing to avoid paying the benefits/EI etc, that doesn't mean they're right. That being said:

1. Not a simple yes or no. Depends if you have a contract for service vs contract of service, who controls your hours, if you need to provide your own tools/material etc. CRA makes this determination.
2. You can't flip flop between self employed and not. That said, it may be deemed minor in extent. You may also be given advice to just declare not available for those couple of weeks to avoid the whole CRA assessment
3. It's on a weekly basis
May 5, 2017
2 posts
clseea wrote:
May 6th, 2017 11:57 am
Most of these questions aren't really simple yes/no answers. Your claim will need to be assessed by CRA to determine if you're actually self employed. Many employers do what yours is doing to avoid paying the benefits/EI etc, that doesn't mean they're right. That being said:

1. Not a simple yes or no. Depends if you have a contract for service vs contract of service, who controls your hours, if you need to provide your own tools/material etc. CRA makes this determination.
2. You can't flip flop between self employed and not. That said, it may be deemed minor in extent. You may also be given advice to just declare not available for those couple of weeks to avoid the whole CRA assessment
3. It's on a weekly basis
Thank you! I had hoped it wouldn't be complicated, but Murphy's Law is always close at hand. :)

Unfortunately, I start on Monday for the week, so will hopefully find an hour while they're open to phone and see what I can find.

Incidentally, the contract is for consulting, so they supply everything and dictate the hours.

Here's hoping they just advise me to declare not available.

Thanks again!
Mar 29, 2012
904 posts
129 upvotes
Vancouver
Hello guys,

I recently quit my job because the company was going to shut down in two months anyways, and my boss told me there was a very high chance I would be fired in a month, so I decided to leave and just look for jobs full-time whilst working on my education. I felt I was wasting time there, considering I was a temp worker and that my only bonus for staying would be $500~

I'm going to assume this is not a valid reason for EI, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. If anyone knows for certain that would be very helpful.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
May 6th, 2017 4:54 pm
Hello guys,

I recently quit my job because the company was going to shut down in two months anyways, and my boss told me there was a very high chance I would be fired in a month, so I decided to leave and just look for jobs full-time whilst working on my education. I felt I was wasting time there, considering I was a temp worker and that my only bonus for staying would be $500~

I'm going to assume this is not a valid reason for EI, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. If anyone knows for certain that would be very helpful.
Not a valid reason for quitting.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
atomic1973 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 12:08 pm
Thank you! I had hoped it wouldn't be complicated, but Murphy's Law is always close at hand. :)

Unfortunately, I start on Monday for the week, so will hopefully find an hour while they're open to phone and see what I can find.

Incidentally, the contract is for consulting, so they supply everything and dictate the hours.

Here's hoping they just advise me to declare not available.

Thanks again!
If they're supplying everything and dictating the hours then it's likely not going to be deemed self employment. They just don't want to pay benefits etc
Jul 21, 2014
525 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was recently laid off from my job of 4 years - didn't do anything wrong but was told the company decided to "go a different direction." They gave me a salary continuance for 3 months. On my ROE they put code "M" as dismissal.
Since they used this code does this mean that I am now not able to collect EI?
Also, what does it mean when it refer's to insurable hours?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4164 posts
596 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If I own part of a corporation but it pays me 0 income, am I still considered earning income if the corporation is? If yes, then is this employment income or self-employed income, and when exactly am I "earning income"? When the corporation receives money?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4047 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Harpster007 wrote:
May 7th, 2017 2:29 pm
I was recently laid off from my job of 4 years - didn't do anything wrong but was told the company decided to "go a different direction." They gave me a salary continuance for 3 months. On my ROE they put code "M" as dismissal.
Since they used this code does this mean that I am now not able to collect EI?
Also, what does it mean when it refer's to insurable hours?
It allows you to collect EI but it will not qualify you for a second career (I have been on the same situation before) Insurable hours means the numbers of hours that you work and paid into EI, this is used to determine if you have the minimum numbers of hours to qualify for EI.
Last edited by cgtlky on May 7th, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26243 posts
1519 upvotes
Winnipeg
b166er1337 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 5:44 pm
Visit your MP's office and ask them to expedite the reconsideration process. Also, Call 1-866-506-6806 and file a complaint with Office for Client Satisfaction (OCS) to file a complaint. Report this agent's conduct and he will have to answer for it.
every day i look at the news, and there is reports of layoffs, manitoba hydro cut staff by 10~15% which is like 1000 people, then we have manitoba freezing 1.4B of healthcare spending, closing emergency rooms, and then there is store layoff 300 people, it's like on a daily basis. Is the EI thread activity surging since the oil crash? any signs of stabilizing?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST & free stuff giveaway
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel