Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 6:50 pm
Banned
Sep 7, 2012
25 posts
1 upvote
b166er1337, Another question for you :P. So my dad recently had surgery and the EI coverage 15 is for weeks.If he doesn't recover could he get more weeks? If he can how much?

Thanks a lot i really appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3597 posts
238 upvotes
Diablo3rocks wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 1:34 am
b166er1337, Another question for you :P. So my dad recently had surgery and the EI coverage 15 is for weeks.If he doesn't recover could he get more weeks? If he can how much?

nope 15 max, if still not recover apply for long term disability
Sep 16, 2012
2 posts
BARRIE
I have been working at the same place for 7 yrs.
i am on ei sick leave until November 11th
Recently found out there is going to be a layoff in early January.
my question is will i be able to claim ei during the lay off after only being back at work for two months.
I will have been off for 11 weeks claiming sick benefits.
thank you
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3597 posts
238 upvotes
barriecool wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 9:44 am
I have been working at the same place for 7 yrs.
i am on ei sick leave until November 11th
Recently found out there is going to be a layoff in early January.
my question is will i be able to claim ei during the lay off after only being back at work for two months.
I will have been off for 11 weeks claiming sick benefits.
thank you
if u dont get enough hours between when u go back and your layoff date, you can reactivate your existing claim and convert the claim to regular benefits. You will only be able to collect regular benefits until your claim is open for 1 year, or u run out of eligible weeks, depending on the number of hours u have
Sep 16, 2012
2 posts
BARRIE
Thanks.
so once i switch from sickness benefits to regular benefits ,
do i only receive ei for however many weeks of sickness benefits i had left before converting
or do my weeks extend to however many i would be eligible for under regular benefits
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3597 posts
238 upvotes
barriecool wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 2:42 pm
Thanks.
so once i switch from sickness benefits to regular benefits ,
do i only receive ei for however many weeks of sickness benefits i had left before converting
or do my weeks extend to however many i would be eligible for under regular benefits
the earlier of the following:
1. 1 year from start of your claim
2. u exaust all weeks of regular entitltment weeks. (this is dependant on the total number of hours u have)
Sep 29, 2008
26 posts
CANADA
hi there, i was dismissed for poor performance and i got my roe and it said dismissal with cause, does that mean i wont get benefits? also will they look at my previous job before this one roe and contact them as well?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9788 posts
3695 upvotes
Calgary
Diablo3rocks wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 1:34 am

To add what e said, if he recovers and is laid off, he can switch to regular benefits for up to 35 weeks of EI.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9788 posts
3695 upvotes
Calgary
angadkripa01 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 5:08 pm
hi there, i was dismissed for poor performance and i got my roe and it said dismissal with cause, does that mean i wont get benefits? also will they look at my previous job before this one roe and contact them as well?
1) Yes apply. You only get denied if you are dismissed due to wilful misconduct.

2) What's the reason for separation for other employment?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9788 posts
3695 upvotes
Calgary
Ohmare_Q wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 6:25 pm
Hi, I have this friend who's contract just expired and worked 565.5 insurable hours. According to EI (http://srv129.services.gc.ca/eiregions/ ... eriod=2880) the minimum number of hours needed to qualify are 595. This put's my friend 29.5 hours short. What can he do in this situation?
Get more hours? Try temp agency for a short term assignment.
Jun 23, 2012
26 posts
Hi,

I've been approved for Second Career but am told that I do not qualify for a basic living allowance because I make too much with EI. I have 22 weeks remaining on my claim but the end date of claim is the first week of December. If I'm going back to school 25 hours a week, could I renew my claim in December for the remaining weeks? The Woman from second career said they would kick in a metropass starting in December for me. I hope I could resubmit the form for financial assistance in December and then be allowed a basic living allowance. Has anyone ever had the same problem?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9788 posts
3695 upvotes
Calgary
scooby81 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 11:45 am
Hi,

I've been approved for Second Career but am told that I do not qualify for a basic living allowance because I make too much with EI. I have 22 weeks remaining on my claim but the end date of claim is the first week of December. If I'm going back to school 25 hours a week, could I renew my claim in December for the remaining weeks? The Woman from second career said they would kick in a metropass starting in December for me. I hope I could resubmit the form for financial assistance in December and then be allowed a basic living allowance. Has anyone ever had the same problem?
Once your EI runs out, you need to work 500+ hours to qualify again.
Sep 17, 2012
1 posts
CALGARY
I found this forum searching for what others have experienced with EI, having had no previous personal experience myself.

I was terminated without prejudice from my nearly 2 year position in January.

Due to medical and personal reasons, combined with general lack of knowledge I filed my claim for benefits on September 5th. I have since submitted one report.

It appears to me by what I have read in this thread that if I hope to collect monies from weeks previous to my first reporting period I will have to apply to have my claim antedated. Also by what I have read, this seems nearly hopeless.

I have read thru dozens of rejected appeals for antedating on the SC website, for reasons that seem very likely and plausible to me I had no idea that programs which were implemented to assist those in times of need were so difficult to access. If jurisprudence is defined by what any reasonable person would seek to find out in a situation, then why would lawyers specialize in their scope of practice? If anyone knew prior to doing something the wrong way, errors in judgement would never happen.

I know nothing of employment law, should one get a law degree prior to becoming employed?

Sorry for the rant. Is there any point in applying to have my claim antedated?
Sep 26, 2007
29 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Thanks for helping people out with this thread, I tried to read through it all before posting but it is very long so I apologiz if similar questions have been asked before. Here are my questions:

If you are on EI and you go to the US for 4 days (drive accross), you are supposed to report that on your report and you will not get paid for those 4 days. What if you went to US for 4 days and forgot to report that on that period, but want to correct it after the fact? Should you just wait until they find out and adjust it, and pay it back? Or should you call them and say you forgot to report it on your past reports and want to correct it? What will happen in the latter case?

2. If you got invited to a mandatory information session and you couldn't make it the first time, they re-schedule and you miss it the second time also. Then you call them to schedule for a 3rd time and they say "since you already missed it twice, there is no more session for you, we are going to have to schedule a one-on-one session for you" what does that mean? what is the one-on-one session? is it just to show you how to look for a job? Or is it an investigation where you have to prove that you have been looking and answer other questions? Basically, what could one expect from this one-on-one session?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Rickyfowler2