Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 2:58 am
Apr 11, 2009
2 posts
alberta
I got laid off when the company I was working for for more than 6 years closed its offices I. Canada. I started collecting EI in January 2017 and in March I actually accepted employment. Due to misunderstandings in the type of work required of me like being constantly on the floor packing, and constantly getting back and knee pains, I decided to quit the job after working there for a week. I am a 52 years old skinny woman that started getting back pains , I thought it was not worth it. I was willing to go back to work. I was receiving 17/hour at the other company that I worked for and I had did not have issues receiving 12/hour in the new job. I was eager and willing to get back to work but I needed to consider my health as I am no longer getting younger. I am desperate now to have my EI reinstated but I got a call from service Canada where they denied my EI benefits because I quit my job and that the employer just contacted Them and told them that I should have considered other options with the company. But they never mentioned these options when I brought up that I wanted to quit because of the demanding work conditions. What should I do? I never had to claim EI before that I need to pay my mortgage. What do I do? What are my chances of getting back the EI while I look for another job?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7659 posts
1222 upvotes
Edmonton
mikyang wrote:
May 7th, 2017 10:35 pm
I got laid off when the company I was working for for more than 6 years closed its offices I. Canada. I started collecting EI in January 2017 and in March I actually accepted employment. Due to misunderstandings in the type of work required of me like being constantly on the floor packing, and constantly getting back and knee pains, I decided to quit the job after working there for a week. I am a 52 years old skinny woman that started getting back pains , I thought it was not worth it. I was willing to go back to work. I was receiving 17/hour at the other company that I worked for and I had did not have issues receiving 12/hour in the new job. I was eager and willing to get back to work but I needed to consider my health as I am no longer getting younger. I am desperate now to have my EI reinstated but I got a call from service Canada where they denied my EI benefits because I quit my job and that the employer just contacted Them and told them that I should have considered other options with the company. But they never mentioned these options when I brought up that I wanted to quit because of the demanding work conditions. What should I do? I never had to claim EI before that I need to pay my mortgage. What do I do? What are my chances of getting back the EI while I look for another job?
Slim to none. You need to exhaust reasonable alternatives to quitting and have just cause prior to quitting. It doesn't appear you exhausted reasonable alternatives. You can always appeal the decision, but I don't see any real reason it would be overturned
May 7, 2017
2 posts
Okay. My e.i experience.....
I was working for a company owned by many partners, they ceased to pay rent and bills and then were in turn made to turn the company over back to the previous owners of the business and companys.. We were all told nothing and unaware that this would happen. I worked one day unaware of the new owners having been the owners and boss, that day we were all told to go home and would be contacted with our new schedules.. We were never contacted. I went on unemployment after our old manager told us we could get the lay off and went on e.i... So i was accepted and had been collecting it for months... Apparently the new owners i had worked for for the one day had submitted a false roe stating i had worked for 2 days and had quit and never returned. It was so false i figured it would be dealt with quickly... I received a call from an investigator giving me about 15 minutes of her time to explain what had happened. I told her to the best of my knowledge as to what happened. She called me back and said the new owners told her i quit and gave me no time to even answer. She told me to have a good day and hung up. I called new owner and she hung up and said she didnt want to talk. I gathered together other info i needed to state my case and numbers of people who were also let go that day. She has not answered my phone calls or voicemail for 3 days now. I don't have further contact or even an email to submit my other evidence. What do i do?
May 7, 2017
1 posts
Looking for advice,

I've worked for my employer just shy of 2 years
Few months ago, I went on a 3 week vacation. During this vacation, I suffered a medical emergency in which I've contacted my employer to notify of my situation.
When I came back to work, my doctor had recommended I work shorter hours for the first week, then gradually more thereafter. My employer said he was ok with this, and told me to "take all the time I needed to recover" (which was just very reassuring to me to hear)
However, the Saturday of my first week back to work, my employer called me to "lay me off" due to a "cancellation of Manitoba Health" payments, and also a shortage of work. Obviously this was a big shock to me.
After a few days, beginning to think straight - I've done some research. Manitoba Health did not cancel any payments to my employer, and also it doesn't make sense to me that there was a "shortage of work" as another employee with the same title as I, was working tremendous amounts of overtime during my regular scheduled shifts.
He's given me my ROE (two weeks later) and severance pay eventually. I've applied for EI - however it is still pending after 7 weeks, as he has failed to put my last payment from him on my form.
Note: he did put "Shortage of Work" on my ROE

I just want to know if I am entitled to anything further, or if this is something I should escalate to Employment Standards. The entire situation is just very frustrating to me.

TL;DR
-Had medical condition shortening my work hours from 8 hours a day, to 5 hours a day
-After 1 week, was laid off
-Lay off reasons seem invalid
-What do I do (if anything)

Thanks!!
Last edited by avocado88 on May 8th, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
mikyang wrote:
May 7th, 2017 10:35 pm
As Clseea stated, chances are slim as you quit without exploring other options. That being said, if you want EI to reconsider, use this as your excuse for quitting the new job: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... h_claimant
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
KatrinaH315025 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 3:23 pm
Okay. My e.i experience.....
I was working for a company owned by many partners, they ceased to pay rent and bills and then were in turn made to turn the company over back to the previous owners of the business and companys.. We were all told nothing and unaware that this would happen. I worked one day unaware of the new owners having been the owners and boss, that day we were all told to go home and would be contacted with our new schedules.. We were never contacted. I went on unemployment after our old manager told us we could get the lay off and went on e.i... So i was accepted and had been collecting it for months... Apparently the new owners i had worked for for the one day had submitted a false roe stating i had worked for 2 days and had quit and never returned. It was so false i figured it would be dealt with quickly... I received a call from an investigator giving me about 15 minutes of her time to explain what had happened. I told her to the best of my knowledge as to what happened. She called me back and said the new owners told her i quit and gave me no time to even answer. She told me to have a good day and hung up. I called new owner and she hung up and said she didnt want to talk. I gathered together other info i needed to state my case and numbers of people who were also let go that day. She has not answered my phone calls or voicemail for 3 days now. I don't have further contact or even an email to submit my other evidence. What do i do?
It's he said, she said situation. Your only credible source is the previous manager. If your previous manager can back up your version of facts, appeal the decision and have the former manager to provide additional information.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
avocado88 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:22 pm
Looking for advice,

I've worked for my employer just shy of 2 years
Few months ago, I went on a 3 week vacation. During this vacation, I suffered a medical emergency in which I've contacted my employer to notify of my situation.
When I came back to work, my doctor had recommended I work shorter hours for the first week, then gradually more thereafter. My employer said he was ok with this, and told me to "take all the time I needed to recover" (which was just very reassuring to me to hear)
However, the Saturday of my first week back to work, my employer called me to "lay me off" due to a "cancellation of Manitoba Health" payments, and also a shortage of work. Obviously this was a big shock to me.
After a few days, beginning to think straight - I've done some research. Manitoba Health did not cancel any payments to my employer, and also it doesn't make sense to me that there was a "shortage of work" as another employee with the same title as I, was working tremendous amounts of overtime during my regular scheduled shifts.
He's given me my ROE (two weeks later) and severance pay eventually. I've applied for EI - however it is still pending after 7 weeks, as he has failed to put my last payment from him on my form.
Note: he did put Shortage of Work"

I just want to know if I am entitled to anything further, or if this is something I should escalate to Employment Standards. The entire situation is just very frustrating to me.

TL;DR
-Had medical condition shortening my work hours from 8 hours a day, to 5 hours a day
-After 1 week, was laid off
-Lay off reasons seem invalid
-What do I do (if anything)

Thanks!!
If it's been 7 weeks, contact your MP's office to expedite payment. Your claim shouldn't be an issue as long as you are healthy and actively looking for work.
May 7, 2017
2 posts
How would i go about appealing her findings? I did contact the previous manager and they told me that he told them i did not quit as he was kind of unaware of what was happening in house the last few days. The investigator has not contacted me back and i do not have a number for her supervisor
May 10, 2011
7 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Hi,

My mom is currently receiving EI and she recently received a letter to attend an information session as well as a form to fill out her job search progress. I was wondering:

1) what usually happened at these information session since her English isn't the greatest

2) how many searches or different jobs does she have to write down?

Any help or information is appreciated.
Apr 11, 2009
2 posts
alberta
b166er1337 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:30 pm
As Clseea stated, chances are slim as you quit without exploring other options. That being said, if you want EI to reconsider, use this as your excuse for quitting the new job: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... h_claimant
Thank you both for the email. I just submitted a letter of reconsideration. How long before they give the decision? I was so ignorant and inexperienced with the process. Because of this mistake I could lose my home. It's a bit punitive. I contributed since I moved to Canada in 2006. I never had to use it until now. I collected 2 months until I worked for a week and quit :(
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1305 posts
369 upvotes
Azn247 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 10:55 pm
Hi,

My mom is currently receiving EI and she recently received a letter to attend an information session as well as a form to fill out her job search progress. I was wondering:

1) what usually happened at these information session since her English isn't the greatest

2) how many searches or different jobs does she have to write down?

Any help or information is appreciated.
1) They will review the obligations of someone on E.I and give them some basic tips and suggestions ok how to find a job, update your resume...etc.

2) She has to write down whatever jobs or searches she has applied to/completed.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1305 posts
369 upvotes
mikyang wrote:
May 10th, 2017 7:37 am
Thank you both for the email. I just submitted a letter of reconsideration. How long before they give the decision? I was so ignorant and inexperienced with the process. Because of this mistake I could lose my home. It's a bit punitive. I contributed since I moved to Canada in 2006. I never had to use it until now. I collected 2 months until I worked for a week and quit :(
Rules are rules...the process timeline is 30 days but if it's been that long and you don't hear anything you can call the hotline for an update or contact your MP's office.
May 10, 2017
13 posts
Hi all,
I am currently working at a big corporation in Montreal. I am a full-time permanent employee and I pay all the EI, Pensions, RRSPS, etc etc.

I want to get into affiliate online marketing and online selling business (open a shopify store and do affiliate marketing and receive commission on the side). So I was thinking of doing a corporation so like that I can save on taxes since I am already considered as high income.

My question is if I open this company, and I start doing some money. Let's say I lost my permanent full-time job because the company laid me off or what not. I would usually be entitled to receive Employment insurance benefits for 11 months because I lost my job. If I have a company on the side and earn money from that, will that impact me from getting any EI benefits? Will I still be able to apply to get EI benefits?

I will have a business bank account and through that I will have all my income and commission deposited (or maybe through a credit card for the affiliate commissions - not sure yet).

Has anybody been in this position before? How does that work? Can anybody please give me any advice? I wanted to call my accountant but felt like asking here before to have a heads up.

Thank you :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1305 posts
369 upvotes
rammut wrote:
May 11th, 2017 12:34 pm
Hi all,
I am currently working at a big corporation in Montreal. I am a full-time permanent employee and I pay all the EI, Pensions, RRSPS, etc etc.

I want to get into affiliate online marketing and online selling business (open a shopify store and do affiliate marketing and receive commission on the side). So I was thinking of doing a corporation so like that I can save on taxes since I am already considered as high income.

My question is if I open this company, and I start doing some money. Let's say I lost my permanent full-time job because the company laid me off or what not. I would usually be entitled to receive Employment insurance benefits for 11 months because I lost my job. If I have a company on the side and earn money from that, will that impact me from getting any EI benefits? Will I still be able to apply to get EI benefits?

I will have a business bank account and through that I will have all my income and commission deposited (or maybe through a credit card for the affiliate commissions - not sure yet).

Has anybody been in this position before? How does that work? Can anybody please give me any advice? I wanted to call my accountant but felt like asking here before to have a heads up.

Thank you :)
If you are laid off from insurable employment you can apply for EI. If you're on EI you have to declare if you're self employed. They make a ruling on whether your self employment would affect your job search.

You have to be looking for work and willing to accept insurable employment. If you aren't looking for work because of your self employment you would not be eligible for benefits.
May 11, 2017
2 posts
Hello, I have been on sickness benefits for a concussion and looking for work to be able to do a graduated return to work. I spoke to several agents that said I'd be switched into regular benefits for graduated return as then I'm deducted at 40% as compared to dollar for dollar. I had also asked them if I was filling my reports out correctly. I was saying no to being able to work because I'm not yet able to do full time.
Yesterday I was put through to a tier 3 agent, I believe. She said she interpreted my doctors note as that I shouldn't be working and even if I got the doctor to clarify her intention that I do a graduated return I would still stay on sickness benefits getting deducted dollar for dollar until my sickness portion of 15weeks runs out and that if I managed to be able to work any full days that I wouldn't get coverage for the whole week, just for the full days worked. This process doesn't sounds like it helps anyone get back on their feet...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)