Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 9:40 am
May 12, 2017
1 posts
Hi, it looks like I applied for EI too early, and need some advice, so that my claim doesn't get disqualified. It's my first time applying. After reading this forum I realized I had not waited 7 consecutive days without work/pay before I applied. I applied on May 4, 2017. It was approved this week.

I finished "Job A" on April 11, 2017. Job A gave me enough insurable hours. Claim is April 16, 2017-April 14, 2019; with 30 weeks of regular entitlement.

I worked a temporary job "Job B" from April 9, 2017-May 9, 2017. I did not include this job in my EI application, since it would not let me add a job with an end date later than May 4th (date of EI application).

During the 4 weeks of Job B, 2 of the weeks were under 35 hours (i.e. some benefits would be paid) and 2 of the weeks were over 35 hours (i.e. $0 benefit would be paid).

For Job B: May 9 = last day for which paid. May 15 = date of 2nd to last paycheque. May 30 = date of last paycheque (final pay period end date).

Also, I worked 2 days at "Job C" (April 26 and 27). This was a one-off assembling sandwiches for a catering company that needed a few extra people for a few days to fill an exceptionally large order. I've requested an ROE from them; they said they'll process it on Monday. I asked them to mark the ROE “A – shortage work/end of contract or season”

***I have not submitted any earnings reports nor received any payments.

My questions are:
What do I need to do next –
1) should I submit the reports for April 16-23rd – even though I did not yet have 7 consecutive days without work?
2) Or do I not do anything (like, let the claim lapse) and then reapply?
3) Would I reapply 7 days after May 9th (last day for which paid)? Or 7 days after May 15th (next paycheque) Or 7 days after May 30 (final pay period ending date)?
4) If Job C does not mark the ROE “A – shortage work/end of contract or season” - will that affect my EI eligibility?

Thanks very much
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7704 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
Lilyoyeo wrote:
May 12th, 2017 6:28 am
Hello, I have been on sickness benefits for a concussion and looking for work to be able to do a graduated return to work. I spoke to several agents that said I'd be switched into regular benefits for graduated return as then I'm deducted at 40% as compared to dollar for dollar. I had also asked them if I was filling my reports out correctly. I was saying no to being able to work because I'm not yet able to do full time.
Yesterday I was put through to a tier 3 agent, I believe. She said she interpreted my doctors note as that I shouldn't be working and even if I got the doctor to clarify her intention that I do a graduated return I would still stay on sickness benefits getting deducted dollar for dollar until my sickness portion of 15weeks runs out and that if I managed to be able to work any full days that I wouldn't get coverage for the whole week, just for the full days worked. This process doesn't sounds like it helps anyone get back on their feet...
So can you work full time or not?
May 11, 2017
2 posts
No, I can't work full time yet. That's why I need a graduated return to work to build up to it.
May 10, 2017
13 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
May 11th, 2017 4:43 pm
If you are laid off from insurable employment you can apply for EI. If you're on EI you have to declare if you're self employed. They make a ruling on whether your self employment would affect your job search.

You have to be looking for work and willing to accept insurable employment. If you aren't looking for work because of your self employment you would not be eligible for benefits.
Awesome! Thank you for your help!
Dec 17, 2014
414 posts
58 upvotes
People at work were talking about EI today. I just realized there are a lot of things I didn't know until now.

Can someone apply to get EI if they were out of work since February but never applied?

If I quit my job for health reasons, can I still apply for EI?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1356 posts
396 upvotes
chrl120 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:43 pm
People at work were talking about EI today. I just realized there are a lot of things I didn't know until now.

Can someone apply to get EI if they were out of work since February but never applied?

If I quit my job for health reasons, can I still apply for EI?
Yes and potentially yes. If you lost your job in February you could apply now but you claim would only start now as you're outside the time frame to apply (4 weeks). If you had a doctors note identifying you could not work for illness or injury your employer would issue you an ROE that indicates this and you could apply for benefits.
Jan 7, 2012
1 posts
Toronto
Hi

I was "laid off" April 20 after working full time for 4.5 yrs, my director said they were eliminating my position and replacing it with a position more "clinical". I asked HR, she confirmed that this was a lay off, not a firing for performance issues or such. I signed the termination letter a few days later which gave me severance. The HR director said the Record of Employment gets sent automatically to HRDC and I can apply for EI benefits. She said the ROE will get sent to Service Canada on the next pay (May 12) and I can access it there. Anyways, in the meantime on May 5 I applied for EI, got the access code in the mail a few days later.

Since it is now past May12, I went to my ServiceCanada site with my access code to see how my claim was going. It said there was no claim. I called the number and they said my claim is still in process...so I am guessing that is why it does not show? Worse, on my Record of Employment for Block 18 it has the Code M for Dismissal, NOT Code A for Layoff. There is no "reason" on the comments section. My understanding is Code M - Dismissal is used for termination with cause (drugs, underperformance, harassassment, etc) and that will prevent you from receiving EI. If there is no "reason" given...what does that mean? Should I contact HR to ask them to change it to a Code A? Should I wait to see the process of my EI claim? Wouldn't future interviews see my ROE and think I am lying if they said my boss was eliminating my position which is what he actually said? Thank you.
Sep 2, 2009
121 posts
33 upvotes
Maternity and parental benefits question with a few twists:
If the mother takes the 15 weeks of maternity benefits (17 weeks with the 2-week waiting period) at the birth of a child and the father takes 1 week of parental benefits (3 weeks with the waiting period)
then the mother takes parental leave after the maternity leave is over,
and then the father takes over the parental leave at month 7:

- Is there a two-week waiting period for the father at month 7?
- Using a delivery date of January 1st, what is the date that benefits run out while including the waiting periods?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4302 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
marshymell0 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:36 am
Hi

I was "laid off" April 20 after working full time for 4.5 yrs, my director said they were eliminating my position and replacing it with a position more "clinical". I asked HR, she confirmed that this was a lay off, not a firing for performance issues or such. I signed the termination letter a few days later which gave me severance. The HR director said the Record of Employment gets sent automatically to HRDC and I can apply for EI benefits. She said the ROE will get sent to Service Canada on the next pay (May 12) and I can access it there. Anyways, in the meantime on May 5 I applied for EI, got the access code in the mail a few days later.

Since it is now past May12, I went to my ServiceCanada site with my access code to see how my claim was going. It said there was no claim. I called the number and they said my claim is still in process...so I am guessing that is why it does not show? Worse, on my Record of Employment for Block 18 it has the Code M for Dismissal, NOT Code A for Layoff. There is no "reason" on the comments section. My understanding is Code M - Dismissal is used for termination with cause (drugs, underperformance, harassassment, etc) and that will prevent you from receiving EI. If there is no "reason" given...what does that mean? Should I contact HR to ask them to change it to a Code A? Should I wait to see the process of my EI claim? Wouldn't future interviews see my ROE and think I am lying if they said my boss was eliminating my position which is what he actually said? Thank you.
Code M - dismissal does not implies termination with a cause, I have been to this situation, my employer stated code M (on the comment section of the ROE, they mention my skills does not meet their requirements). I got EI payment afterall. The only difference of code M and A is you can not apply for second career programs.
Jun 14, 2008
1 posts
Hi,

My wife is a contracted yoga instructor and paid into HST and cpp/EI over the past year. In december she applied for EI and received it for maternity purposes. She has been receiving EI up until the CRA decided her work income from self employment was under by $180. So now we are are trying to figure out what to do. We are going to file a request for reconsideration and reduce some of the expenses so that her net shows higher than the required amount. We pay a tax person so be on top of this and he clearly failed us. Anyone with a similar experience or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
May 22, 2017
1 posts
Hi there,
I am currently on ei sickness bebefits. My claim ends june 24th. I am a substitute teacher so won't have work to return to. Will I be able to switch over to regular benefits??
Jul 26, 2016
105 posts
33 upvotes
My wife is on maternity EI right now. She didn't apply for any sickness EI beforehand. She is now being medically treated on post-partum depression. We heard from a friend that she applied for sickness EI AFTER maternal and parental EI when she had her son (now 3 years old). I figure that could be possible if I take part of the parental EI, that way my wife can still have enough hours in the past 52 weeks to take sickness. But we can't do that as my salary is crucial to pay out rent (which is very high relative to our after-tax income).

My wife was on contract and has no job to return to. We wonder if she can use sickness EI if she's still being medically treated for depression by then. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for reading and any advice is welcome.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8750 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
marshymell0 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:36 am
Hi

Get HR to amend it to A as soon as possible. It will make your claim much easier.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8750 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
cloak wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
Maternity and parental benefits question with a few twists:
If the mother takes the 15 weeks of maternity benefits (17 weeks with the 2-week waiting period) at the birth of a child and the father takes 1 week of parental benefits (3 weeks with the waiting period)
then the mother takes parental leave after the maternity leave is over,
and then the father takes over the parental leave at month 7:

- Is there a two-week waiting period for the father at month 7?
- Using a delivery date of January 1st, what is the date that benefits run out while including the waiting periods?

Thanks!
Once a waiting period is served, there won't be a second one. Combined maternity (15) and parental (35) benefits is 50 weeks.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8750 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
MichelleS765466 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 12:03 am
Hi there,
I am currently on ei sickness bebefits. My claim ends june 24th. I am a substitute teacher so won't have work to return to. Will I be able to switch over to regular benefits??
Yes, as long as you have medical note with recovery date, or have it stated you have recovered and are capable of working.