EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote: Depends on the reason for the voluntary separation. Was there a formalized workforce reduction program in place?
I'm not sure what formalized workforce reduction program means.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
On my pay slip, there are several sections in terms of hours accumulated. Does class room training, online training, stat holidays hours (I am being paid on all those per my pay slip) all are EI eligibible as well and include on my total hours on my ROE ?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
Anyone knows for seasonal part time workers, is stat hol pay hrs included in the ROE ?
Oct 31, 2012
58 posts
5 upvotes
Etobicoke
Anyone know when doing your EI reports if you receive a RPP payout - Canada Life Pension Plan from an old employer do you need to report this as income? I know you do when you file for taxes at the beginning of the new year
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
inspireme92 wrote: Anyone know when doing your EI reports if you receive a RPP payout - Canada Life Pension Plan from an old employer do you need to report this as income? I know you do when you file for taxes at the beginning of the new year
Depends if the funds are a return of your own contribution or employer contribution
Apr 1, 2020
4 posts
5 upvotes
Hello, I recently got laid off and it's my first time applying for EI. So I'd appreciate any advice on my situation.

- I had a full-time job for close to 2 years and paid EI, so I know I am eligible
- In 2022, along with a partner we incorporated a company (50-50), for a startup idea we were working on, but we never really sold anything. And in the last year we have barely worked on it.

In my EI application,
- do I still select "regular" benefits?
- In the question where it asks if I am self-employed, do I have to say Yes? If so, would it affect my eligibility for payments in any way?
- Since we aren't actively working on the business, should we dissolve it to avoid complications?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Nov 17, 2023
2 posts
Hello a friend was laid off last month and ROE was issued as shortage of work. No vacation pay, severance or pending dues issued. EI started. Waited for employer to send pending dues and sent reminder email to company but they said nothing is due, asked for paystubs, they got pissed and sent a new ROE after a month saying it was dismissal M so that thy don’t have to pay severance etc., So is her EI going to stop? She is very concerned and stressed.
Nov 24, 2022
76 posts
221 upvotes
My contract is ending in February and it might not get renewed. I am expecting and due around June. Would I be entitled to EI?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
mtlmj25 wrote: Hello, I recently got laid off and it's my first time applying for EI. So I'd appreciate any advice on my situation.

- I had a full-time job for close to 2 years and paid EI, so I know I am eligible
- In 2022, along with a partner we incorporated a company (50-50), for a startup idea we were working on, but we never really sold anything. And in the last year we have barely worked on it.
In my EI application,
- do I still select "regular" benefits?
Yes
- In the question where it asks if I am self-employed, do I have to say Yes? If so, would it affect my eligibility for payments in any way?
Yes. Possibly.
- Since we aren't actively working on the business, should we dissolve it to avoid complications?
That's up to you. No self-employment certainly makes things simpler.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Luckyducky1 wrote: Hello a friend was laid off last month and ROE was issued as shortage of work. No vacation pay, severance or pending dues issued. EI started. Waited for employer to send pending dues and sent reminder email to company but they said nothing is due, asked for paystubs, they got pissed and sent a new ROE after a month saying it was dismissal M so that thy don’t have to pay severance etc., So is her EI going to stop? She is very concerned and stressed.
It'll be reviewed, but unless there's some sort of misconduct proven by the employer, the claim won't have any issues. EI will contact both parties to discuss
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
deadprez101 wrote: My contract is ending in February and it might not get renewed. I am expecting and due around June. Would I be entitled to EI?
Sure, assuming you have the hours.
If possible, try to get sick benefits prior to maternity - not regular.
Combining regular and maternity will limit your claim to 50 weeks of benefits, so you won't be able to take full advantage of your maternity.
Nov 17, 2023
2 posts
Thanks for the response. So my friend has ongoing health issues and went to see the doctor today. The doctor has advised she needs to pay attention to her health as the stress of the job and this new issue has left her in a mental health crisis. Should she look into EI sickness, and how? Thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Luckyducky1 wrote: Thanks for the response. So my friend has ongoing health issues and went to see the doctor today. The doctor has advised she needs to pay attention to her health as the stress of the job and this new issue has left her in a mental health crisis. Should she look into EI sickness, and how? Thanks
If she's not able to work she'll need to request a conversion to sick. Call in.
Nov 20, 2023
1 posts
I applied for EI with Service Canada on October 18th, and today's date is November 22nd. My application (EI 7000) is currently under review, and there have been no updates since then. I called the Service Canada EI help desk, and they informed me that, due to uncontrollable circumstances, Service Canada is taking more than 28 days for decision making, and they currently do not have a exact timeframe for approval or denial. Is anyone else facing a similar situation? I am having hard time managing my expenses due to delay in decision making.

Additional information:
Reason for applying EI: Family Caregiver Leave.

Documents submitted: 1. Medical Certificate For Employment Insurance Family Caregiver Benefits 2. Authorization to release a medical certificate for Employment Insurance family caregiver benefits.

ROE submitted electronically by Employer on time.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Icecube8610 wrote: I applied for EI with Service Canada on October 18th, and today's date is November 22nd. My application (EI 7000) is currently under review, and there have been no updates since then. I called the Service Canada EI help desk, and they informed me that, due to uncontrollable circumstances, Service Canada is taking more than 28 days for decision making, and they currently do not have a exact timeframe for approval or denial. Is anyone else facing a similar situation? I am having hard time managing my expenses due to delay in decision making.

Additional information:
Reason for applying EI: Family Caregiver Leave.

Documents submitted: 1. Medical Certificate For Employment Insurance Family Caregiver Benefits 2. Authorization to release a medical certificate for Employment Insurance family caregiver benefits.

ROE submitted electronically by Employer on time.
Pretty much every claim goes past 28 days unless it's super simple. Follow up every day and contact your MP.
Apr 4, 2017
615 posts
512 upvotes
I tried to call into Service Canada for an answer, but they were useless.

How does EI work when you lose your job in a mass layoff?

I stopped working in November 2023 but will receive salary continuance until May 2024. I have applied for EI as soon as I was let go, and also understand that I won't be paid until the end of the severance period if I'm still unemployed at the time.

How do I do the reporting of the severance, I put zero hours in the system but get an error.

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
realtycoon wrote: I tried to call into Service Canada for an answer, but they were useless.

I stopped working in November 2023 but will receive salary continuance until May 2024. I have applied for EI as soon as I was let go, and also understand that I won't be paid until the end of the severance period if I'm still unemployed at the time.

How do I do the reporting of the severance, I put zero hours in the system but get an error.

Thanks
Not an expert but ur employer would normally submit your serverance amount just like they would for your ROE.
Since your is a salary continuance, you dont have to do any reporting. That amount will just show as another ROE at the end of your salary continuance I believe.
And yes you cant start EI until salary continuance is exhausted.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
realtycoon wrote: I tried to call into Service Canada for an answer, but they were useless.

Thanks
savemoresaveoften wrote: Not an expert but ur employer would normally submit your serverance amount just like they would for your ROE.
Since your is a salary continuance, you dont have to do any reporting. That amount will just show as another ROE at the end of your salary continuance I believe.
And yes you cant start EI until salary continuance is exhausted.
If it's a true salary continuance, you're effectively still employed until it ends. You'd apply for EI after the salary continuance runs out. The ROE should be issued at the end of it, since you're still employed.

If it's a severance package, you apply right away. The ROE should be issued right away as well. You don't report additional money, as it'll be on the ROE. Doing reports will be up to you during the allocation period. You either complete them the entire time (not being payable due to the severance), or simply stop reporting until the severance runs out. You'd then reactivate your claim by reapplying, assuming you don't have a new job.
Jan 4, 2024
1 posts
So I'm getting married to my partner in March and after doing long distance for the past year, we really want this new chapter of our lives to begin with us living together. The tricky part is that she lives 2.5 hours away and neither of our jobs allow us to work remotely or transfer to either cities. It works best financially for her to keep her job and for me to find employment there; of course this would constitute me voluntarily leaving my current job. Given my situation, would I qualify for EI while I look for employment?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
tornadoWarning wrote: So I'm getting married to my partner in March and after doing long distance for the past year, we really want this new chapter of our lives to begin with us living together. The tricky part is that she lives 2.5 hours away and neither of our jobs allow us to work remotely or transfer to either cities. It works best financially for her to keep her job and for me to find employment there; of course this would constitute me voluntarily leaving my current job. Given my situation, would I qualify for EI while I look for employment?
Most likely.