• Jul 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
thegregdoyle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:57 am
My Sickness/Illness Benefits ran out on July 8, 2017. Am I able to convert to regular benefits? I know I am still entitled to 37 weeks of regular benefits according to My Service Canada account.
yes, call in to convert the claim. You may have to provide doctor's note clearing you for work.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Jul 11, 2017
3 posts
Hey, I have a stupid EI question and I cannot figure out where else to turn for some advice!

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to apply for EI or not (I already submitted a claim, but I will just leave it dormant in this situation).

I work for a school board in a 10 month contract non-teaching support position (and, of course, I was temporarily laid off from July to August). My coworkers/union are encouraging me to apply for EI, apparently they all apply for EI during the summer.

However, I am sort of confused about applying for it in this situation. I'm definitely unemployed during these two months, but I'm not particularly looking for a job (I know my return to work date)... isn't that a requirement for EI? I doubt that all my coworkers are looking for jobs during these two months, so I don't get how they do it. Are they all applying to jobs and not going to interviews or whatever? Doesn't Service Canada ask for proof of job searching?

I'm not sure if I should cancel my claim or just start looking for jobs to get it. What am I doing wrong here? I feel like there's something I'm not understanding in this situation! How are all my coworkers getting EI and not looking for jobs? Just lying?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4199 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
seabreezes wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:08 pm
Hey, I have a stupid EI question and I cannot figure out where else to turn for some advice!

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to apply for EI or not (I already submitted a claim, but I will just leave it dormant in this situation).

I work for a school board in a 10 month contract non-teaching support position (and, of course, I was temporarily laid off from July to August). My coworkers/union are encouraging me to apply for EI, apparently they all apply for EI during the summer.

However, I am sort of confused about applying for it in this situation. I'm definitely unemployed during these two months, but I'm not particularly looking for a job (I know my return to work date)... isn't that a requirement for EI? I doubt that all my coworkers are looking for jobs during these two months, so I don't get how they do it. Are they all applying to jobs and not going to interviews or whatever? Doesn't Service Canada ask for proof of job searching?

I'm not sure if I should cancel my claim or just start looking for jobs to get it. What am I doing wrong here? I feel like there's something I'm not understanding in this situation! How are all my coworkers getting EI and not looking for jobs? Just lying?
In your ROE, does it stated that your return date is september xx (xx - represent the date) ?. If so service canada understands they will only give you 2 months of payments
May 31, 2015
61 posts
12 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 8:17 pm
In your ROE, does it stated that your return date is september xx (xx - represent the date) ?. If so service canada understands they will only give you 2 months of payments
Do you or did you ever work for Service Canada Employment Insurance?!?! Regardless of the answer, I'd like to suggest you stop offering people advice on this thread. Let the people that actually used to work in employment insurance answer the questions.
Jul 11, 2017
3 posts
cgtlky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 8:17 pm
In my ROE there actually is no return to work date. The return to work date was given to me by the school in a separate letter.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1304 posts
369 upvotes
seabreezes wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:08 pm

Yes they are all likely lying. Part of the requirement is for you to look for work. It doesn't mean to look for work to replace your job but maybe short term. It's unlikely that an employer would only hire you at comparable wages for 2 months so you wouldn't likely be successful on your job search anyways. Everyone else in your position collects EI over the summer so I don't see why you shouldn't be either.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7658 posts
1218 upvotes
Edmonton
amb1977 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 8:29 pm
Do you or did you ever work for Service Canada Employment Insurance?!?! Regardless of the answer, I'd like to suggest you stop offering people advice on this thread. Let the people that actually used to work in employment insurance answer the questions.
LOL... I think he thinks this thread is a tryout for a job with Service Canada
Oct 27, 2016
21 posts
3 upvotes
@clseea

I am writing to update you on the results for an appeal, that you saw no merit in pursuing:

ei-employment-insurance-discussion-thread-1091952/854/

I appealed EI's decision (to deny me benefits) to the tribunal, and I got a favorable decision. The tribunal determined that I did not 'voluntarily leave for unjust cause', hence I am being back-paid for the benefits. It took about 8 months to get 'my day in court, and in the meantime I went through the wringer financially and emotionally ....

But justice prevailed, thankfully.

I came back to advise you of their findings because I had originally come to this forum to get some advice on understanding EI's (unfair) decision, only to be told 'ignorance' is no defense', and 'good luck' trying to fight it. (Some of the other condescending responses were ultimately edited, but I had read and ignored them before they were.)

There are probably a lot of desperate pion's that would be discouraged from fighting an EI decision, that is based solely on *someone's* interpretation of convoluted policies, but clearly not even 'the experts' can necessarily interpret their policies correctly. In some cases, it is worthwhile to fight when their reasoning does not seen to be based on common sense.
Oct 27, 2016
21 posts
3 upvotes
Jul 6th, 2017 11:26 am
Hello

I applied for ei in month of june. My last employer still needs to give me ROE. I spoke to service ontario representative yesterday he said we will make decision soon as ur claim is almost on due date.
Today morning there is a status change in my online ei account and it says "Decision Made:Action required submit ROE of last employer"

Can anybody help me what does this status mean? Is my ei approved or not?

Thanks
This happened to someone else I know, and there is a form (online) you can utilize and pass into a Service Canada office. They will pursue the ROE from the employer, on your behalf, within 10 days (I think?).
Jun 6, 2017
5 posts
WhatToDo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:28 pm
This happened to someone else I know, and there is a form (online) you can utilize and pass into a Service Canada office. They will pursue the ROE from the employer, on your behalf, within 10 days (I think?).
Thank you so much for your reply. My employer gave me paper ROE yesterday. I have submit it yesterday in person at service canada office.
Any idea how long does it take from now to decision update?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1304 posts
369 upvotes
WhatToDo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:08 pm
@clseea

I am writing to update you on the results for an appeal, that you saw no merit in pursuing:

I appealed EI's decision (to deny me benefits) to the tribunal, and I got a favorable decision. The tribunal determined that I did not 'voluntarily leave for unjust cause', hence I am being back-paid for the benefits. It took about 8 months to get 'my day in court, and in the meantime I went through the wringer financially and emotionally ....

I came back to advise you of their findings because I had originally come to this forum to get some advice on understanding EI's (unfair) decision, only to be told 'ignorance' is no defense', and 'good luck' trying to fight it. (Some of the other condescending responses were ultimately edited, but I had read and ignored them before they were.)

There are probably a lot of desperate pion's that would be discouraged from fighting an EI decision, that is based solely on *someone's* interpretation of convoluted policies, but clearly not even 'the experts' can necessarily interpret their policies correctly. In some cases, it is worthwhile to fight when their reasoning does not seen to be based on common sense.
I didn't know subatomic particles could apply for EI.

Pion: the first meson (subatomic particle) to be discovered: it has spin 0 and may be positively or negatively charged or neutral; charged pions decay into a muon and a neutrino or antineutrino.
Oct 27, 2016
21 posts
3 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:17 am
I didn't know subatomic particles could apply for EI.

Pion: the first meson (subatomic particle) to be discovered: it has spin 0 and may be positively or negatively charged or neutral; charged pions decay into a muon and a neutrino or antineutrino.
Wrong kind of 'pion':

"To be beneath; To be at one's lowest status; worthless; less than."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pion
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7658 posts
1218 upvotes
Edmonton
WhatToDo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:08 pm
@clseea

Cool..... You're conveniently forgetting the part where I told you to appeal, several times, even though it didn't look like you had any grounds.

Breaking news, interpretations differ from person to person.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)