Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 2:20 pm
Jan 9, 2017
9 posts
clseea wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:35 pm
You should reactivate the old claim and use it up. Once it's finished you apply for a new claim with the hours from the 6 month job. It's not one or the other.
Wow really? Thanks I hadn't realized that. That's amazing news
Apr 27, 2015
150 posts
26 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:30 pm
1. You will get paid Monday of the first week and Friday of the second week. However that counts as 2 weeks of benefits used. IMO it's very wasteful.

2. If you declare unavailable for both weeks (which I recommend), you won't get paid, but you won't waste 2 weeks of benefits.
Just wanted to double check.
If I leave on Sat and come back on Sat (7 nights vacation) and 1st week Mon-Fri was ready to work, I won't get paid only for 1 week and payment will be postponed? And I goona get paid for 1st week as I was available Mon to Fri (meaning Sat doesn't count)?
Jul 22, 2017
1 posts
Wondering if anyone knows which pensions do not count as income? I have never posted in a forum before, but find the jargon confusing on this topic.
If the situation is that my wife is on EI, worked for the Alberta Government, but not for long enough and we are young enough that keeping her pension will not benefit us (she has to either transfer it to another pension, RRSP or withdraw it) so we are thinking about withdrawing the cash. It was all contributed by her and the portion that was matched or provided by her employer will not be given to her. Will withdrawing that money count as income on her EI or would it only if it was employer contributed?
Thank you for the help!
Jul 18, 2017
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:52 am
He'll need sick benefits not regular, he can't work right now. His doctor should provide medical documentation stating he's unable to work. He can collect up to 15 weeks of sick.

If he currently has a claim for regular he (or you once he gives the ok on the phone) need to convert the claim to sick benefits.
He saw his doctor who says he can work 3 weeks after the heart attack, because there is little damage (thankfully) and he is in generally good shape otherwise. So does he change it to a sick leave claim and then after the 3 weeks back to a regular claim? Does he get a letter from his doctor and send it to E.I.? Are there new waiting periods for sick leave?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
seabreezenb wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 12:09 pm
He saw his doctor who says he can work 3 weeks after the heart attack, because there is little damage (thankfully) and he is in generally good shape otherwise. So does he change it to a sick leave claim and then after the 3 weeks back to a regular claim? Does he get a letter from his doctor and send it to E.I.? Are there new waiting periods for sick leave?
If the entire length is 3 weeks where he can't work due to the heart attack, he should report he's unavailable for those 3 weeks due to illness. He'll be paid his normal amount except for under sick benefits. Nothing changes. After the 3 weeks he reports available like normal. There is no requirement to convert the claim or call in to change anything. If it's longer than 4 weeks, he'll need to convert the claim.
Oct 1, 2015
71 posts
1 upvote
Milton, ON
My brother got fired with wrong allegations of just cause 6 months ago, he then went to an employment lawyer. During this 6 months period time he thought he will not qualify for EI due to his misunderstanding that if you get fired you don't qualify for EI. Today he won his case against his employer. Now, can he go and file for EI or is it too late for him.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
milton75 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 10:42 pm
My brother got fired with wrong allegations of just cause 6 months ago, he then went to an employment lawyer. During this 6 months period time he thought he will not qualify for EI due to his misunderstanding that if you get fired you don't qualify for EI. Today he won his case against his employer. Now, can he go and file for EI or is it too late for him.
He can file but as he is out of the 4 week period to apply his benefit period would start now and his calculation would use the last 12 months. If he was off for the last 6 months, depending on how much he worked in the 6 months before that, he may or may not have enough hours.

He could file an 'antedate request' to back date the claim to when he was terminated, however, using the excuse of 'I didn't think I would be eligible' is not necessarily a valid reason for not applying on time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
laurentoews177201 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 11:09 am
Wondering if anyone knows which pensions do not count as income? I have never posted in a forum before, but find the jargon confusing on this topic.
If the situation is that my wife is on EI, worked for the Alberta Government, but not for long enough and we are young enough that keeping her pension will not benefit us (she has to either transfer it to another pension, RRSP or withdraw it) so we are thinking about withdrawing the cash. It was all contributed by her and the portion that was matched or provided by her employer will not be given to her. Will withdrawing that money count as income on her EI or would it only if it was employer contributed?
Thank you for the help!
If it's simply a return of her own contributions it's not income. Don't bother declaring it.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8781 posts
2323 upvotes
Calgary
gibor365365 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:28 pm
Just wanted to double check.
If I leave on Sat and come back on Sat (7 nights vacation) and 1st week Mon-Fri was ready to work, I won't get paid only for 1 week and payment will be postponed? And I goona get paid for 1st week as I was available Mon to Fri (meaning Sat doesn't count)?
Saturday & Sunday doesn't count. Only Monday-Friday is payable.

So each weekday you are not available means 20% reduction in the benefit rate.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Jul 26, 2017
1 posts
I'm on EI right now but I got sent a letter to be enrolled in an information session about a month ago. I didn't know this was even a thing that happened and assumed all communication would be through the web portal. The letter got stuck in my mailbox and I only saw it after some other mail knocked it down and I had missed the session. My benefits have been cut off and I'm kind of at a loss over what to do here. I sent in the paperwork appealing the decision but I feel like the chances of them overturning this are low, despite it being an honest mistake, aren't they? :(
May 7, 2017
212 posts
85 upvotes
I got a interview for a job I applied but read more into it. Dont want to go. Will EI know?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
MoistVonLipwig wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 1:40 pm
I'm on EI right now but I got sent a letter to be enrolled in an information session about a month ago. I didn't know this was even a thing that happened and assumed all communication would be through the web portal. The letter got stuck in my mailbox and I only saw it after some other mail knocked it down and I had missed the session. My benefits have been cut off and I'm kind of at a loss over what to do here. I sent in the paperwork appealing the decision but I feel like the chances of them overturning this are low, despite it being an honest mistake, aren't they? :(
You need to call the contact on the form to reschedule the session so they can reinstate your benefits.

They sent you a letter, you didn't attend, benefits cut off. Unfortunately that's how the system works.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1401 posts
416 upvotes
BeanFinn wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:23 pm
I got a interview for a job I applied but read more into it. Dont want to go. Will EI know?
Is this a serious question?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4329 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
BeanFinn wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:17 pm
yes wage is 16K lower
So that wage lower than what EI is providing you? or it just simple you want to sleep at home the entire duration of the claim?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

ruth67