Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 3:27 pm
Newbie
May 7, 2017
71 posts
31 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:12 pm
So that wage lower than what EI is providing you? or it just simple you want to sleep at home the entire duration of the claim?
jealous?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7671 posts
1227 upvotes
Edmonton
BeanFinn wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:23 pm
I got a interview for a job I applied but read more into it. Dont want to go. Will EI know?
Yes EI will know. They monitor every job everyone applies to. Everywhere.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
4254 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
BeanFinn wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 10:14 pm
jealous?
Why should I be jealous? I got EI twice in the past 3 years due to company shortage of work. I like to be working than sleeping at home and rusting my mind.
Newbie
Jul 27, 2017
1 posts
I applied with EI almost four weeks ago. I'm an interior designer and just graduated. I was dismissed after working with them for five months. I had my review, but the Owner seemed to be hiring anyone! She hired me in Feb on the spot and said we'll see how things go. The Manager was retiring and the girl who is taking her place in three years is training in her job. She walked in after I did, looked at me, I'm black, and decided she didn't like me! We work in a high end linen store. It's obscene! A sheet will run you a couple hundred dollars. Three months later I was let go, she said to me in private I wasn't a good fit.

On my application, I documented the demeaning name I was called in whispers once she arrived, that I was dismissed, and didn't leave out how badly I was being treated. Three weeks later, the woman on the phone said to me that I may not be entitled to benefits because the separation was Contentious? Does that make by sense to you?! When I have bills to pay, responsibilities? The lack of respect from employment insurance, and just the government now is completely deplorable. My claim has an under review status, for almost four weeks, and she said to call back on the 28th day. I wasn't making g millions of dollars... I've received ei in little less than four weeks, and now I think I'm being penalized because of what I feel like I'm being discussed under my own volition. I don't and can't afford to contest a denial of my claim in another third days. Does anyone have any experiences like this at all with employment insurance?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7671 posts
1227 upvotes
Edmonton
ashleefarmer8294 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 12:19 pm
I applied with EI almost four weeks ago. I'm an interior designer and just graduated. I was dismissed after working with them for five months. I had my review, but the Owner seemed to be hiring anyone! She hired me in Feb on the spot and said we'll see how things go. The Manager was retiring and the girl who is taking her place in three years is training in her job. She walked in after I did, looked at me, I'm black, and decided she didn't like me! We work in a high end linen store. It's obscene! A sheet will run you a couple hundred dollars. Three months later I was let go, she said to me in private I wasn't a good fit.

On my application, I documented the demeaning name I was called in whispers once she arrived, that I was dismissed, and didn't leave out how badly I was being treated. Three weeks later, the woman on the phone said to me that I may not be entitled to benefits because the separation was Contentious? Does that make by sense to you?! When I have bills to pay, responsibilities? The lack of respect from employment insurance, and just the government now is completely deplorable. My claim has an under review status, for almost four weeks, and she said to call back on the 28th day. I wasn't making g millions of dollars... I've received ei in little less than four weeks, and now I think I'm being penalized because of what I feel like I'm being discussed under my own volition. I don't and can't afford to contest a denial of my claim in another third days. Does anyone have any experiences like this at all with employment insurance?
Anytime anyone is dismissed or quits it is contentious until fully investigated. No one is disrespecting you because they said it was contentious. They have your side of the story so they need to investigate the rest of the story. It makes zero difference how much you made or how many responsibilities you have. Everyone needs to pay bills and everyone contributes. They can't make a decision until they have all the information, so until then it's a contentious issue.
Member
Oct 28, 2006
290 posts
109 upvotes
I have a question regarding EI benefits for teachers (Currently a substitute teacher in Ontario). Will be going back to work for the school boards in September. These are my questions as it is my first time applying:
1. School starts back on Sept 5th so does that mean my EI claim will stop then or do I have to notify them? What is the process for ending EI?
2. I am going to travel overseas for vacation (Aug 11-22) so I will not be able to work. Do I have to do anything special or just report it in the system that I will be outside Canada on those dates so I am not paid for those days.
3. When I return from overseas, will my claim proceed as normal or is there another process.
4. Is it worth to apply for EI during Christmas/March break due to the 2 week waiting period.

Thanks!
Newbie
Aug 26, 2009
2 posts
Richmond Hill
Re: Rental Income and the sale of rental property

I have been receiving EI benefits for a few months now. I just realized that I haven't claimed any of my rental income. It's not much real income... after deducting maintenance fees, mortgage interest, and property taxes. Still, should I declare it?

Next, I have just sold said rental property. Do I have to declare the profit from the sale to EI?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1324 posts
381 upvotes
baller4lif3 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 10:28 am
I have a question regarding EI benefits for teachers (Currently a substitute teacher in Ontario). Will be going back to work for the school boards in September. These are my questions as it is my first time applying:
1. School starts back on Sept 5th so does that mean my EI claim will stop then or do I have to notify them? What is the process for ending EI?
2. I am going to travel overseas for vacation (Aug 11-22) so I will not be able to work. Do I have to do anything special or just report it in the system that I will be outside Canada on those dates so I am not paid for those days.
3. When I return from overseas, will my claim proceed as normal or is there another process.
4. Is it worth to apply for EI during Christmas/March break due to the 2 week waiting period.

Thanks!
1. On your report either out you found full time work and you claim will be suspended or continue to report hours and earnings if you would still be eligible for pay.

2. You can call in advance and report your absence or just put on the reports you're not available for work as you're out of the country.

3. If you called in advance and said you were away I would check to make sure things are ok. If you didn't just continue reporting.

4. Yes, if you're still in your benefit period you would likely just continue this claim and not have to wait a waiting period. Also, the waiting period is now only a week.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1324 posts
381 upvotes
Oo_Juice_oO wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 12:01 pm
Re: Rental Income and the sale of rental property

I have been receiving EI benefits for a few months now. I just realized that I haven't claimed any of my rental income. It's not much real income... after deducting maintenance fees, mortgage interest, and property taxes. Still, should I declare it?

Next, I have just sold said rental property. Do I have to declare the profit from the sale to EI?

Thanks.
It's not income from employment so no.
Newbie
Jul 29, 2017
1 posts
If your employer make a mistake on your ROE of employment and your overpayed do you repay the amount overpayed to you? Can you appeal since it wasn't your mistake and you didnt know about it?
Newbie
Jun 18, 2012
4 posts
1 upvote
Hey Angel27,

Yes, you just repay the overpayment back, you will have to contact EI and let them know about this.
....Yes, you are technically able to appeal practically any changes to your file, but practically, NO, though it was not your fault, the fact is you were overpaid government monies, so the government will want it back as you were not supposed to be entitled to that in the first place :p. Even if you appeal, the chances of you being able to win the appeal is almost nil.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7671 posts
1227 upvotes
Edmonton
Angel27 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 10:36 pm
If your employer make a mistake on your ROE of employment and your overpayed do you repay the amount overpayed to you? Can you appeal since it wasn't your mistake and you didnt know about it?
You want to keep money that doesn't belong to you?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 11, 2008
7207 posts
737 upvotes
GTA
Asking for a friend who has been told she received an EI overpayment. If she is on EI again, will they deduct everything until they have the amount paid back or a portion of each payment?

I don't know the details of the overpayment, just that they recently notified her they overpaid her during her mat leave in 2015 approximately $1,400. She told me she doesn't have any savings now.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7671 posts
1227 upvotes
Edmonton
sillysimms wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:21 pm
Asking for a friend who has been told she received an EI overpayment. If she is on EI again, will they deduct everything until they have the amount paid back or a portion of each payment?

I don't know the details of the overpayment, just that they recently notified her they overpaid her during her mat leave in 2015 approximately $1,400. She told me she doesn't have any savings now.
It's typically 50% of her benefits until it's paid back, unless a payment arrangement is made
Newbie
Jul 30, 2017
2 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
I am hoping someone might have the answer to the following questions regarding maternity benefits. I did a lot of research online, including this thread, but haven't been able to find a definite answer that fits this scenario.

My wife is doing a CO-OP term from May 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. It is an 8-month contract (full-time). She is contributing to EI. She is also completing her masters. It is her final year and she has completed all of her exams, but she must write her final research paper once her CO-OP term ends. I am not sure what her employer will put on her ROE once her contract ends, but I assume they would write "return to school".

At the same time, we are also planning to have our first baby and we are wondering whether she might be entitled to any parental or maternity benefits. Let's assume the baby is born in April 2018. Her CO-OP term will have ended by that time. She will have worked more than 600 hours in the last 52 weeks. However because her CO-OP term has ended, she is no longer employed, and the pregnancy is not what caused her employment to cease. Moreover EI requires that the application be filed 4 weeks from the last day worked. In this case it will be well over 4 weeks from the last day, if the baby is born in April 2018.

The question is therefore, would she be entitled to any benefits, knowing that she worked in insurable employment, contributed to EI, and accumulated more than 600 hours, despite the fact the baby is born 4 months after the end of the contract term? If she continues working there on a part-time basis until she can no longer work due to the pregnancy, does that change anything?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Top