Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 9:34 pm
Jun 22, 2017
8 posts
We have processed your report for the period ending Saturday July 22, 2017 and a payment totalling $241.00 was issued on July 31, 2017.

i checked my bank account ( direct deposit) but have not seen the money yet im with TD bank does anyone know how long it would take for it to come into my account?
also the first cheque does it get back dated for the days i didnt work ?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4324 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
Jayngo23 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:00 pm
We have processed your report for the period ending Saturday July 22, 2017 and a payment totalling $241.00 was issued on July 31, 2017.

i checked my bank account ( direct deposit) but have not seen the money yet im with TD bank does anyone know how long it would take for it to come into my account?
It should be today (August 1, 2017) early morning .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1244 upvotes
Edmonton
boris4c wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 6:51 pm
I am hoping someone might have the answer to the following questions regarding maternity benefits. I did a lot of research online, including this thread, but haven't been able to find a definite answer that fits this scenario.

My wife is doing a CO-OP term from May 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. It is an 8-month contract (full-time). She is contributing to EI. She is also completing her masters. It is her final year and she has completed all of her exams, but she must write her final research paper once her CO-OP term ends. I am not sure what her employer will put on her ROE once her contract ends, but I assume they would write "return to school".

At the same time, we are also planning to have our first baby and we are wondering whether she might be entitled to any parental or maternity benefits. Let's assume the baby is born in April 2018. Her CO-OP term will have ended by that time. She will have worked more than 600 hours in the last 52 weeks. However because her CO-OP term has ended, she is no longer employed, and the pregnancy is not what caused her employment to cease. Moreover EI requires that the application be filed 4 weeks from the last day worked. In this case it will be well over 4 weeks from the last day, if the baby is born in April 2018.

The question is therefore, would she be entitled to any benefits, knowing that she worked in insurable employment, contributed to EI, and accumulated more than 600 hours, despite the fact the baby is born 4 months after the end of the contract term? If she continues working there on a part-time basis until she can no longer work due to the pregnancy, does that change anything?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The only real requirements are a separation from employment and 600 hours in the year prior to the start date of the claim
Jun 22, 2017
8 posts
cgtlky wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:29 pm
It should be today (August 1, 2017) early morning .
already 3pm here and still nothing should i call them ?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4324 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
Jayngo23 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 6:03 pm
Very strange, when I was on EI the payment usually fall on tuesday morning, unless monday is a holiday then it will DD on wednesday morning
May 31, 2015
74 posts
17 upvotes
British Columbia
Jayngo23 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:00 pm

Payment is usually in your account two business days after you complete your report.
If you did your report Friday it should be in your account today.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1244 upvotes
Edmonton
Jayngo23 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 6:03 pm
cgtlky wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 6:45 pm
Very strange, when I was on EI the payment usually fall on tuesday morning, unless monday is a holiday then it will DD on wednesday morning
It's 2-3 days from when it's processed. If it's processed on the 31st then you're likely not getting it until tomorrow or Thursday. It sounds like you didn't do your report until later on Sunday or yesterday.
Jul 30, 2017
2 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
clseea wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:52 pm
The only real requirements are a separation from employment and 600 hours in the year prior to the start date of the claim
What is confusing me is that you need to apply within 4 weeks of the last day worked. In her case that would be January 22, 2018, when the baby won't even be born. And I understand you can get 8 weeks of parental leave benefits before the baby is born, but that wouldn't work either, assuming the baby is born in April or May 2018. There is no way our application date can fit in between those two parameters.

I hope you are right though. I will visit a Service Canada location tomorrow if possible.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1244 upvotes
Edmonton
boris4c wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 10:59 pm
What is confusing me is that you need to apply within 4 weeks of the last day worked. In her case that would be January 22, 2018, when the baby won't even be born. And I understand you can get 8 weeks of parental leave benefits before the baby is born, but that wouldn't work either, assuming the baby is born in April or May 2018. There is no way our application date can fit in between those two parameters.

I hope you are right though. I will visit a Service Canada location tomorrow if possible.
You don't need to apply within 4 weeks. Applying within 4 weeks of your separation will date your claim back to your separation, using all of your hours and earnings to calculate your claim. Applying outside of 4 weeks simply starts your claim in that week. It's beneficial to apply right away, but not mandatory. Most people lose out on entitlement and benefit amount if they don't apply right away.

Example, if you have 2000 hours from Jan 1 to Dec 31/17 and apply by the end of January/18, all of your hours and earnings will be used. If you apply in say May/18 then they'll only use hours and earnings from May/17 onwards.
Last edited by clseea on Aug 2nd, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2015
3 posts
Toronto
Hello,
My hand was broken for 5 1/2 months and I received benefits for the duration from EI as it was not work related (although happened at work). Integrity Services has now mailed me requesting the medical certificate which I lost on a move and did not realize! OOPS!!! I am wondering if the records from the hospital will be enough to prove my injury, or if there is any additional proof I should gather to support the claim since I am missing the certificate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1244 upvotes
Edmonton
KieranO2 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:35 pm
Hello,
My hand was broken for 5 1/2 months and I received benefits for the duration from EI as it was not work related (although happened at work). Integrity Services has now mailed me requesting the medical certificate which I lost on a move and did not realize! OOPS!!! I am wondering if the records from the hospital will be enough to prove my injury, or if there is any additional proof I should gather to support the claim since I am missing the certificate.
You'll need to ask the integrity officer as some are more strict than others. Won't hurt to get whatever other medical proof you can though
Dec 16, 2015
3 posts
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:18 pm
You'll need to ask the integrity officer as some are more strict than others. Won't hurt to get whatever other medical proof you can though
I hope the one I have is not too strict. I have photo's and eye witnesses who can attest to my injury and inability to work, and the hospital is legally required to hold the records for 10 years so I just have to sign a release form for those.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4324 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
KieranO2 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:38 pm
I hope the one I have is not too strict. I have photo's and eye witnesses who can attest to my injury and inability to work, and the hospital is legally required to hold the records for 10 years so I just have to sign a release form for those.
As far as hospital records are concern they only release it for free to your family doctor other than that you have to pay $ to obtain it. So better ask them to send it to your family doctor and your family doctor will write a note about your injury.
Jul 18, 2017
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
If the entire length is 3 weeks where he can't work due to the heart attack, he should report he's unavailable for those 3 weeks due to illness. He'll be paid his normal amount except for under sick benefits. Nothing changes. After the 3 weeks he reports available like normal. There is no requirement to convert the claim or call in to change anything. If it's longer than 4 weeks, he'll need to convert the claim.
Well it turns out my husband was bit more optimistic than he should have been. He was unavailable to work for 4 weeks due to his heart attack and then we took a week of vacation because I was off and thought we should go to the states and visit friends and it would help him recover. He now has to fill in his EI report. If I understand what has been said correctly he should still be able to just report his sickness on his current claim and not have to change anything. He would just fill in his reports showing he was sick that 4th week.. and then report for the 5th week that he was unavailable to work because he was on vacation with me in the states. After that he just continues reporting as normal. He says that when he filed his last report it indicated that if he was off more than 4 weeks due to sickness he would need to get a medical certificate... Even though with the vacation he will be off 5 weeks it would be my understanding he doesn't need to send in a medical as he really isn't claiming a 5th week as it was vacation.. Is there a spot on the report to fill in vacation week?
Jun 22, 2017
8 posts
clseea wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 8:29 pm
It's 2-3 days from when it's processed. If it's processed on the 31st then you're likely not getting it until tomorrow or Thursday. It sounds like you didn't do your report until later on Sunday or yesterday.
Already Thursday and still have not received the direct deposit. I checked my dd and numbers are all right and up to date. What should I do