• Nov 17th, 2017 12:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
leed10 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 8:57 am
Ok What if I felt the decrease is not justified? For ex, I am doing the same work or more work for less money or no one is getting a paycut except me.

And how much decrease is considered a "significant" amount?
Your text to link here...
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I had a claim active from October 2016 until February 2017, but then stopped receiving benefits because I left the country to attend school. I've still got about 16 weeks of payable benefits on this original claim.

I returned to Canada in July and started working at the same place where I got laid off from before starting my claim in October 2016. I will start getting less than 3 shifts a month in early September, so intend to reactivate my old claim by submitting a new application until I find better work. As I am not being officially 'laid off' and I don't want to quit - do I need to request to have this employer submit another ROE in order for my old claim to be processed and reactivated? Or will it simply reactivate when I submit my application online even if a new ROE is not submitted?
Aug 17, 2017
0 posts
My return to work date off maternity got messed up and it took over a month to get my last pay, then they overpaid me by almost $1000. I got a call asking me to send it back and I said I could but now some bills came out and my husband didn't know and spent some money and now I can't afford to repay it for a couple months. Can I be charged for fraus or theft? I didn't think my husband was going to spend anything so I didn't bother telling him it needed to be sent back. I'm so broke so Imuch contemplating using the rest and paying off my power bill and just paying the entire amount back later. How bad is this?
May 31, 2015
78 posts
17 upvotes
British Columbia
JessicaO856361 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 8:52 am
My return to work date off maternity got messed up and it took over a month to get my last pay, then they overpaid me by almost $1000. I got a call asking me to send it back and I said I could but now some bills came out and my husband didn't know and spent some money and now I can't afford to repay it for a couple months. Can I be charged for fraus or theft? I didn't think my husband was going to spend anything so I didn't bother telling him it needed to be sent back. I'm so broke so Imuch contemplating using the rest and paying off my power bill and just paying the entire amount back later. How bad is this?
Did you get a letter notifying you of the debt and amount owing? If so, there should be a phone number in the letter. Call it, explain the situation, and ask to make a payment arrangement.
Aug 12, 2004
203 posts
20 upvotes
How does suspending a claim work? I've received 7 of 15 weeks of my benefit thus far, however I started working today. This job will likely last a few weeks to a month before I'll be laid off, and there is potential I'll end up with another job directly after for perhaps a couple weeks. In the past I've kept a claim active while working and basically lost the weeks that I worked. My vague understanding is it maybe possible to suspend/end a claim and later reactivate it and would this potentially allow me to collect the remaining 6-7 weeks rather than where I'll currently be working through them?
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA

I had a claim active from October 2016 until February 2017, but then stopped receiving benefits because I left the country to attend school. I've still got about 16 weeks of payable benefits on this original claim.

I returned to Canada in July and started working at the same place where I got laid off from before starting my claim in October 2016. I will start getting less than 3 shifts a month in early September, so intend to reactivate my old claim by submitting a new application until I find better work. As I am not being officially 'laid off' and I don't want to quit - do I need to request to have this employer submit another ROE in order for my old claim to be processed and reactivated? Or will it simply reactivate when I submit my application online even if a new ROE is not submitted?
Aug 22, 2017
1 posts
Hi
thanks very much for this thread
it will be my first claim to EI , I am 55 and I have read many posts to try to understand EI , as the government web is not clear at all
I have some points and I need to make sure my understanding is right
1) vacation pay and severance package must be allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... it will cause only delay
2) Pension Lump sum that will go to locked LIRA that I will not touch until 3 years later, .....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... no Delay
3) Pension Lump sum that is paid cash must be also allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ..... it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me .... it will cause only delay
4) the EI 52 weeks Limit will start only when I start getting EI and EI end date EI will be 52 weeks from the start of the receiving the EI not from the date of filling the claim, that is why it is important to report all Monies before I start the collecting EI
when I apply the above to my case ... I lost my job at the end of Jan 2017, vacation and severance monies allocation will take me to end of Sept 2017, then the Pension Lump sum Cash allocation will take me to the end of Feb 2018 , that means I will start my EI weeks March 2018 for 36 week and it will take me Nov 2018 , the start date of EI will be Mach 2018 and the end Date will be Feb 2019
the Pension Lump sum that is in Locked LIRA will not affect anything but I have to report it
am I right on all the above ? , please explain if I am wrong
Aug 23, 2017
2 posts
I am a veteran and, after many years, I find myself on EI. Recently, I learned that I may be entitled to compensation for a disability I incurred as a result of my military service. I am worried about the final question in my EI filing that asks “Is there any other money that you have not previously told us about that you will receive or are about to receive for the period of this report?” It looks like I will have to report the funds. Can you please advise me as to implications for my ongoing claim if I do receive the money?
Aug 25, 2017
1 posts
Hi. I am currently receiving EI and managed to find part time work. The owners of the company I've been working for have decided to get out of the business. Because the company in question was a franchised one, another company came in and offered all employees the chance to continue working there on the same schedule and at the same pay rate.

While all of this was happening it's been very stressful. Due to the uncertainty of whether I'd even have a job anymore I managed to find another part time job. After working at this new job it's offering me slightly more hours than the previous one.

Will the fact I got another part time job affect me getting my EI payments? The owners that shut their company down issued me an ROE today and the reason for leaving is "K - other. Business changed hands"

Do I need to call anyone or can this be dealt with online when I file my report next week? I believe there's a question asking if I no longer work for an employer but not sure if answering yes gives me the ability to explain why. If I can explain why online then will that delay any payment because I assume someone has to manually verify it?

Thanks.
Sep 7, 2009
38 posts
Hi, EI just denied my claim saying i only have 596 hours from their calculations while my employer has 610 insured hours.

What can i do about this?

Thanks
Mar 1, 2008
661 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
just wondering if i need to be detailed when filling out the job search form for the sessions like the companies names when applying to jobs or can i just put down 'i applied to x amount of x jobs in this x job board' ?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
glemlin wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 7:52 pm
How does suspending a claim work? I've received 7 of 15 weeks of my benefit thus far, however I started working today. This job will likely last a few weeks to a month before I'll be laid off, and there is potential I'll end up with another job directly after for perhaps a couple weeks. In the past I've kept a claim active while working and basically lost the weeks that I worked. My vague understanding is it maybe possible to suspend/end a claim and later reactivate it and would this potentially allow me to collect the remaining 6-7 weeks rather than where I'll currently be working through them?
Yes. Declare you found full time job on your claimant's reports, and your claim will be suspended. In the future, you can reactivate it by applying again online.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
92coreilly wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 5:03 am

As long as your old claim has not expired, you can simply reapply online without the ROE to reactivate the claim.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
User030150 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 12:54 pm
Hi
thanks very much for this thread
it will be my first claim to EI , I am 55 and I have read many posts to try to understand EI , as the government web is not clear at all
I have some points and I need to make sure my understanding is right
1) vacation pay and severance package must be allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... it will cause only delay
2) Pension Lump sum that will go to locked LIRA that I will not touch until 3 years later, .....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... no Delay
3) Pension Lump sum that is paid cash must be also allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ..... it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me .... it will cause only delay
4) the EI 52 weeks Limit will start only when I start getting EI and EI end date EI will be 52 weeks from the start of the receiving the EI not from the date of filling the claim, that is why it is important to report all Monies before I start the collecting EI
when I apply the above to my case ... I lost my job at the end of Jan 2017, vacation and severance monies allocation will take me to end of Sept 2017, then the Pension Lump sum Cash allocation will take me to the end of Feb 2018 , that means I will start my EI weeks March 2018 for 36 week and it will take me Nov 2018 , the start date of EI will be Mach 2018 and the end Date will be Feb 2019
the Pension Lump sum that is in Locked LIRA will not affect anything but I have to report it
am I right on all the above ? , please explain if I am wrong
1) yes
2) yes
3) yes
4) I hope you have applied fir EI by now, if not, apply now and ask for antedate (backdate your claim). Despite not able to receive benefits, Service Canada still want you to apply ASAP. As you stop working at end of Jan 2017, your benefit period will end at the end of Jan 2019 at the latest.

In your case, vacation/severance allocation is from Feb - Sept 2017, pension lump sum cash Oct 2017-Feb 2018. You serve 2 week waiting period and then start getting benefits for 36 weeks. Your benefit will exhaust in Nov 2018 but if you decide to take vacation in the summer, you can suspend your claim temporarily but your claim will expire at end of January 2019.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
OrcaWhale wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 12:51 pm
I am a veteran and, after many years, I find myself on EI. Recently, I learned that I may be entitled to compensation for a disability I incurred as a result of my military service. I am worried about the final question in my EI filing that asks “Is there any other money that you have not previously told us about that you will receive or are about to receive for the period of this report?” It looks like I will have to report the funds. Can you please advise me as to implications for my ongoing claim if I do receive the money?
My understanding is that if the disability payment is the result from past employment (not related to the current claim), you will be fine. As the money is not employment related, you don't have to report it.

However please verify with official Service Canada rep.