• Nov 17th, 2017 12:01 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
Mindlesstrance wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 3:32 pm
Hi. I am currently receiving EI and managed to find part time work. The owners of the company I've been working for have decided to get out of the business. Because the company in question was a franchised one, another company came in and offered all employees the chance to continue working there on the same schedule and at the same pay rate.

While all of this was happening it's been very stressful. Due to the uncertainty of whether I'd even have a job anymore I managed to find another part time job. After working at this new job it's offering me slightly more hours than the previous one.

Will the fact I got another part time job affect me getting my EI payments? The owners that shut their company down issued me an ROE today and the reason for leaving is "K - other. Business changed hands"

Do I need to call anyone or can this be dealt with online when I file my report next week? I believe there's a question asking if I no longer work for an employer but not sure if answering yes gives me the ability to explain why. If I can explain why online then will that delay any payment because I assume someone has to manually verify it?

Thanks.
Well, in theory, if the only ROE issued is the one from the current employer with reason code K - other, then there is nothing to worry about. As long as the new employer doesn't issue a ROE, Service Canada will not know you changed job.

The correct action is obviously to report you quit the job after finding the other one. Your payment will be suspended while Service Canada review the circumstances. So be prepared to be without EI benefits for a few weeks. And yes someone will have to manually review the reasons for quitting.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
LameCinnamon wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 4:54 pm
Hi, EI just denied my claim saying i only have 596 hours from their calculations while my employer has 610 insured hours.

What can i do about this?

Thanks
find a short term assignment from a staffing agency. After the assignment is over, ask for a ROE and that should bump your hours over the threshold.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
aznblade wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:03 am
just wondering if i need to be detailed when filling out the job search form for the sessions like the companies names when applying to jobs or can i just put down 'i applied to x amount of x jobs in this x job board' ?
If you are the interviewer, are you going to trust this person who said this?
Mar 1, 2008
661 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:18 am
If you are the interviewer, are you going to trust this person who said this?
probably not. i have no idea as it's my first time going to these sessions and filling out the form. also, i didn't realize they would interview you?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
aznblade wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:03 pm
probably not. i have no idea as it's my first time going to these sessions and filling out the form. also, i didn't realize they would interview you?
Just keep a track from now on. You wont need much: Position applied, date, how (email / Indeed / Linked in)...etc
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
b166er1337 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 9:50 am
As long as your old claim has not expired, you can simply reapply online without the ROE to reactivate the claim.
Thanks! My old claim has not yet expired so I will go ahead and reapply. When checking my service Canada account, I am still able to fill out EI reports for the old claim. Does this mean it never became unactive? The last report I filed was for up until March 4th. Should if indicate anywhere on the website that the claim is no longer active ?
Aug 29, 2017
1 posts
Hey everyone, I have a question for anyone who may have run into this issue.

I've looked everywhere online and even called numerous government numbers to no avail. If you're self employed and opt into paying your own EI premiums, are you able to collect regular EI or only special benefits?

I was in a position where I was in dire need of employment and found myself working company that has me filed as being an independent contractor, I'm under contract for 40hrs a week.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
92coreilly wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:51 am
Thanks! My old claim has not yet expired so I will go ahead and reapply. When checking my service Canada account, I am still able to fill out EI reports for the old claim. Does this mean it never became unactive? The last report I filed was for up until March 4th. Should if indicate anywhere on the website that the claim is no longer active ?
That's funny. If you don't file reports after 4 weeks, your claim is suspended and you have to reapply. Anyway, if you get paid without reactivation, then koodos to you.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
Elizabethxox wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 10:30 pm

I've looked everywhere online and even called numerous government numbers to no avail. If you're self employed and opt into paying your own EI premiums, are you able to collect regular EI or only special benefits?

I was in a position where I was in dire need of employment and found myself working company that has me filed as being an independent contractor, I'm under contract for 40hrs a week.
If you have a set schedule (9-5), have clearly outlined responsibilities, has a supervisor and don't control own hours, it's likely you are classified as a regular employee rather than self employment
Jan 24, 2012
16 posts
1 upvote
Richmond
Hello, I'd like to know whether my friend is eligible for EI in her situation.

She is currently working full time at a pharmacy. Last year she decided to pursue the technician program. She applied to the program and has since been accepted. School will start next week. When she applied last year, she notified her manager about her plans and that her schedule will change if she gets into the program. The manager said that will be fine. A couple of months ago, it was confirmed she would be accepted into the program. It is a full-time program, monday to friday for 9 months. She talked to her manager and they both agreed she will work every other Saturday when school starts. He told her to write him an official email requesting the schedule change and to explicitly state she would be changing from full time to a part-time casual position. They also agreed, whenever possible she would work more Saturdays. She would then go back to full time when school ends.

Supposedly, her last day of work would be this Friday before going to part-time casual. She checked her schedule today and noticed she wasn't on the schedule for any upcoming Saturdays. She talked to her manager and reminded him about what they agreed on. He briefly told her she would basically be fired and given an ROE. This came from nowhere and she is now worried and scared. First of all, she hasn't done anything wrong for them to fire her. Second of all, could they not have told her earlier so she could at least have tried to look for another part time job?? If she didn't go talk to her manager today, she probably wouldn't have found out until after she lost her job. (in between that email and today, they have talked about the schedule changes; as the company is also losing some other people for maternity leave, school, job changes in september; so he could have told her earlier if he didn't want to keep her). The manager has accommodated other people with school before.

If she can't keep the job she is thinking of asking him to lay her off instead - they did lay off several people a month or two ago even though they are shortstaffed already. She still wants a reference from this company for the future and wouldn't want to burn bridges....

Question is, is she in any way eligible for EI in this situation? I have heard that people usually can't if they are attending school. however she is willing to work weekends, hence the agreement above. Would her getting fired / laid off affect her case? Would she be compensated in any way?

Thank you!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
woofie108 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 10:44 am
Hello, I'd like to know whether my friend is eligible for EI in her situation.

She is currently working full time at a pharmacy. Last year she decided to pursue the technician program. She applied to the program and has since been accepted. School will start next week. When she applied last year, she notified her manager about her plans and that her schedule will change if she gets into the program. The manager said that will be fine. A couple of months ago, it was confirmed she would be accepted into the program. It is a full-time program, monday to friday for 9 months. She talked to her manager and they both agreed she will work every other Saturday when school starts. He told her to write him an official email requesting the schedule change and to explicitly state she would be changing from full time to a part-time casual position. They also agreed, whenever possible she would work more Saturdays. She would then go back to full time when school ends.

Supposedly, her last day of work would be this Friday before going to part-time casual. She checked her schedule today and noticed she wasn't on the schedule for any upcoming Saturdays. She talked to her manager and reminded him about what they agreed on. He briefly told her she would basically be fired and given an ROE. This came from nowhere and she is now worried and scared. First of all, she hasn't done anything wrong for them to fire her. Second of all, could they not have told her earlier so she could at least have tried to look for another part time job?? If she didn't go talk to her manager today, she probably wouldn't have found out until after she lost her job. (in between that email and today, they have talked about the schedule changes; as the company is also losing some other people for maternity leave, school, job changes in september; so he could have told her earlier if he didn't want to keep her). The manager has accommodated other people with school before.

If she can't keep the job she is thinking of asking him to lay her off instead - they did lay off several people a month or two ago even though they are shortstaffed already. She still wants a reference from this company for the future and wouldn't want to burn bridges....

Question is, is she in any way eligible for EI in this situation? I have heard that people usually can't if they are attending school. however she is willing to work weekends, hence the agreement above. Would her getting fired / laid off affect her case? Would she be compensated in any way?

Thank you!
Regardless she quit, fired or was laid off, she is in a full time school training program, which renders her not available. In order to receive regular benefits, claimant has to be available and actively looking for full time work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Elizabethxox wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 10:30 pm

If you're self employed, even though you're probably not like b166er said, you'd only be eligible for special benefits if you opt into the program.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4307 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Hello I have to submit reports bi weekly or so for EI payments

If I miss a report, does that mean I lose out on the earnings from that period but I'm still able to make a report after that
For instance I miss a report for weeks 1 & 2, but I'm still able to make a report for weeks 3 & 4?
Aug 31, 2017
2 posts
I could use a little help with my situation. I work a seasonal job and have gone on ei before when I have had no work for a few months. I was told that while I am on ei sense I have a return date it is not a big deal if I don't look for work and don't keep track of my job searches.

When I called them to give them info on a course I took the person ask if I had been looking for work. I explained to her what I had been told and she lost it on me and gave me 2 weeks to prove to them I will look for work. I have now found work, ( temporary full-time) that will take me until I return to my standard work place. Can they still come after me for anything? The person I talk too really scared me and made me feel like a criminal even though I was just doing what I was told to the best of my knowledge. Will they get me to pay back any payments?

I have been truthful and honest on all my reports.

Any advice would be a huge help as I have been stressed about this hole thing for days.
Thanks
Last edited by TheBrah on Sep 1st, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4132 posts
310 upvotes
Does job positions affect the minimum amount of severance required by the employer?

I was filling out one of those online severance calculators and when selecting "supervisor" as the role it showed the employer owed more severance compared to say "technical"

Also I've been hearing mixed things like minimum 2 weeks per year, but online I see it listed as minimum 1 week per year.