1) yesUser030150 wrote: ↑Aug 23rd, 2017 12:54 pmHi
thanks very much for this thread
it will be my first claim to EI , I am 55 and I have read many posts to try to understand EI , as the government web is not clear at all
I have some points and I need to make sure my understanding is right
1) vacation pay and severance package must be allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... it will cause only delay
2) Pension Lump sum that will go to locked LIRA that I will not touch until 3 years later, .....it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me ... no Delay
3) Pension Lump sum that is paid cash must be also allocated to weeks prior to starting EI , ..... it will not affect my EI number of weeks or the weekly amount paid to me .... it will cause only delay
4) the EI 52 weeks Limit will start only when I start getting EI and EI end date EI will be 52 weeks from the start of the receiving the EI not from the date of filling the claim, that is why it is important to report all Monies before I start the collecting EI
when I apply the above to my case ... I lost my job at the end of Jan 2017, vacation and severance monies allocation will take me to end of Sept 2017, then the Pension Lump sum Cash allocation will take me to the end of Feb 2018 , that means I will start my EI weeks March 2018 for 36 week and it will take me Nov 2018 , the start date of EI will be Mach 2018 and the end Date will be Feb 2019
the Pension Lump sum that is in Locked LIRA will not affect anything but I have to report it
am I right on all the above ? , please explain if I am wrong
4) I hope you have applied fir EI by now, if not, apply now and ask for antedate (backdate your claim). Despite not able to receive benefits, Service Canada still want you to apply ASAP. As you stop working at end of Jan 2017, your benefit period will end at the end of Jan 2019 at the latest.
In your case, vacation/severance allocation is from Feb - Sept 2017, pension lump sum cash Oct 2017-Feb 2018. You serve 2 week waiting period and then start getting benefits for 36 weeks. Your benefit will exhaust in Nov 2018 but if you decide to take vacation in the summer, you can suspend your claim temporarily but your claim will expire at end of January 2019.