Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 10:02 pm
Sep 1, 2017
2 posts
HI I was laid off August 12th 2016 i was gicen EI benifits starting Feb 8th, it was that far away because of my severance.

Jan 7th 2017 i was in a very bad car accident so I got sick benifits starting Feb 8th for the full 15 weeks.

I am still on disability due to the accident getting paid by my car insurance.

My EI claim runs out Jan 2018.

I have been just reassessed and am on fuether disability till the end of Novemebr and my doctor believes it will continue.

What happends in January when my EI claim ends ?

I have collected no EI benifits. What happends when i can go back looking for work?

Can i start a new claim?

Thank you
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8753 posts
2302 upvotes
Calgary
glover78 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 1:47 am
Hello I have to submit reports bi weekly or so for EI payments

If I miss a report, does that mean I lose out on the earnings from that period but I'm still able to make a report after that
For instance I miss a report for weeks 1 & 2, but I'm still able to make a report for weeks 3 & 4?
You will have to make reports for week 1 and 2. IF you don't want to receive money, just declare you were unavailable.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8753 posts
2302 upvotes
Calgary
azncapcom wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 10:15 am
Does job positions affect the minimum amount of severance required by the employer?

I was filling out one of those online severance calculators and when selecting "supervisor" as the role it showed the employer owed more severance compared to say "technical"

Also I've been hearing mixed things like minimum 2 weeks per year, but online I see it listed as minimum 1 week per year.
Your topic is not EI related so you better ask the experts elsewhere.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8753 posts
2302 upvotes
Calgary
TheBrah wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 6:42 pm
I could use a little help with my situation. I work a seasonal job and have gone on ei before when I have had no work for a few months. I was told that while I am on ei sense I have a return date it is not a big deal if I don't look for work and don't keep track of my job searches.

When I called them to give them info on a course I took the person ask if I had been looking for work. I explained to her what I had been told and she lost it on me and gave me 2 weeks to prove to them I will look for work. I have now found work, ( temporary full-time) that will take me until I return to my standard work place. Can they still come after me for anything? The person I talk too really scared me and made me feel like a criminal even though I was just doing what I was told to the best of my knowledge. Will they get me to pay back any payments?

I have been truthful and honest on all my reports.

Any advice would be a huge help as I have been stressed about this hole thing for days.
Thanks
Who told you that you won't have to look for job? I hope it's not from a Service Canada employee because that's simply false. Even with a return date scheduled, you have to actively looking for job in order to receive benefits.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8753 posts
2302 upvotes
Calgary
LenoraF359907 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 11:55 am
HI I was laid off August 12th 2016 i was gicen EI benifits starting Feb 8th, it was that far away because of my severance.

Jan 7th 2017 i was in a very bad car accident so I got sick benifits starting Feb 8th for the full 15 weeks.

I am still on disability due to the accident getting paid by my car insurance.

My EI claim runs out Jan 2018.

I have been just reassessed and am on fuether disability till the end of Novemebr and my doctor believes it will continue.

What happends in January when my EI claim ends ?

I have collected no EI benifits. What happends when i can go back looking for work?

Can i start a new claim?

Thank you
Please contact your local Service Canada office for the official answer. The link below outlines circumstances of benefit period extension:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... eriod.html
Aug 31, 2017
2 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 5:02 pm
Who told you that you won't have to look for job? I hope it's not from a Service Canada employee because that's simply false. Even with a return date scheduled, you have to actively looking for job in order to receive benefits.
Thank you for replying.
The person who told me that was from service Canada. I called their hotline before applying to ask that question.

I just hope that didn't get me in trouble with them.
Sep 6, 2017
1 posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm an Occasional Teacher who submitted an EI claim in early July. After finally getting my last ROE, a decision was made August 24.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about making biweekly claims. I have not completed any. When I tried today, I received this message:

Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from July 02, 2017 to July 15, 2017. You need to reactivate your claim before we can accept another report. Log Out and Return to the Service Canada Web site or visit your local office.

This is worrisome, as the money from the summer is badly needed. All I can do is call tomorrow and plead ignorance.

Any tips? Any experience with this issue? Thanks a bunch...
Sep 6, 2017
1 posts
I appear to have received the same document for the seminar however my situation is a little different...... As an ECE (early childhood educator) I'm only employed 10 months out of the year. For the other 2 months, we go on EI and the school board reactivates our accounts in September. How do they really expect us to job search, interview and apply for jobs in an 8 week period? I didn't apply to any this summer as it makes no sense. Suggestions on what to bring to the meeting. I have looked at a few postings here and there but nothing seriously where I send off resume's. I also spent a lot of time caring for a member of the family who died two weeks ago. Naturally, job searching was not a priority. Suggestions on how best to take this on? I have the logging forms for the job searches but I only have like 1-2 things to jot down.....suggestions....obi wan kenobi....
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I just started receiving EI in September 2017 after being laid off from my job because of seasonal slow down. I was in university until the end of June 2017 and also received student loans from StudentAid BC up until that time.

I am afraid that EI will talk to CRA and see that I was a student and receiving student loans in 2017 and assume this was at the same time that I was receiving EI benefits. Is EI automatically alerted of these circumstances, such as they are when we leave the country when we are on EI? Does EI have the capability to see when I was attending school/receiving loans and verify they did not overlap?

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
gjc451 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:09 pm
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm an Occasional Teacher who submitted an EI claim in early July. After finally getting my last ROE, a decision was made August 24.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about making biweekly claims. I have not completed any. When I tried today, I received this message:

Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from July 02, 2017 to July 15, 2017. You need to reactivate your claim before we can accept another report. Log Out and Return to the Service Canada Web site or visit your local office.

This is worrisome, as the money from the summer is badly needed. All I can do is call tomorrow and plead ignorance.

Any tips? Any experience with this issue? Thanks a bunch...
So the letter you received after applying and the responsibilities outlined in your application didn't say anything about doing reports?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Bootnugget396 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:54 pm
I appear to have received the same document for the seminar however my situation is a little different...... As an ECE (early childhood educator) I'm only employed 10 months out of the year. For the other 2 months, we go on EI and the school board reactivates our accounts in September. How do they really expect us to job search, interview and apply for jobs in an 8 week period? I didn't apply to any this summer as it makes no sense. Suggestions on what to bring to the meeting. I have looked at a few postings here and there but nothing seriously where I send off resume's. I also spent a lot of time caring for a member of the family who died two weeks ago. Naturally, job searching was not a priority. Suggestions on how best to take this on? I have the logging forms for the job searches but I only have like 1-2 things to jot down.....suggestions....obi wan kenobi....
If you didn't look for work and weren't even available for work for most of the summer why should you get EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
92coreilly wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:06 pm
Hi there, thanks in advance for your help!

I just started receiving EI in September 2017 after being laid off from my job because of seasonal slow down. I was in university until the end of June 2017 and also received student loans from StudentAid BC up until that time.

I am afraid that EI will talk to CRA and see that I was a student and receiving student loans in 2017 and assume this was at the same time that I was receiving EI benefits. Is EI automatically alerted of these circumstances, such as they are when we leave the country when we are on EI? Does EI have the capability to see when I was attending school/receiving loans and verify they did not overlap?

Cheers!
Were you in university while collecting EI?
Sep 7, 2017
3 posts
I recently read a thread about EI benefits and going back to school but I can't find it I have a question similar to that I was working part time and decided to take a full-time course to improve my skills and career opportunities now I think my employer will lay me off because of the drop in sales can I apply for EI benefits and do you think I would get them. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Lisapenny wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:58 pm
I recently read a thread about EI benefits and going back to school but I can't find it I have a question similar to that I was working part time and decided to take a full-time course to improve my skills and career opportunities now I think my employer will lay me off because of the drop in sales can I apply for EI benefits and do you think I would get them. Thanks
You can always apply but unless you have a history of working full time while attending school full time you likely won't be approved. Your school is going to interfere with your ability to work full time.
Feb 17, 2013
21 posts
KELOWNA
clseea wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:10 pm
Were you in university while collecting EI?
Hey! I wasn't collecting EI and in university at the same time, but in the same tax year. Im concerned that EI will see that I collected loans and assume it was at the same time i was collecting EI, even though they were at different times during the year.