• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 12:01 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
92coreilly wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:30 pm
Hey! I wasn't collecting EI and in university at the same time, but in the same tax year. Im concerned that EI will see that I collected loans and assume it was at the same time i was collecting EI, even though they were at different times during the year.
EI won't know you collected loans.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
92coreilly wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:30 pm
Hey! I wasn't collecting EI and in university at the same time, but in the same tax year. Im concerned that EI will see that I collected loans and assume it was at the same time i was collecting EI, even though they were at different times during the year.
You won't have an issue
May 15, 2017
28 posts
2 upvotes
If the number of required hours to qualify for benefits was 630 (and the applicant had accrued 650 and was approved for benefits), would anything change if the unemployment rate dropped in the region and 1 month later 700 hours were required to qualify? Would this person still receive benefits even though they were approved at the lower 630 hour threshold? Or would they then need the new required 700 hours to keep receiving benefits?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
turtler wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:44 am
If the number of required hours to qualify for benefits was 630 (and the applicant had accrued 650 and was approved for benefits), would anything change if the unemployment rate dropped in the region and 1 month later 700 hours were required to qualify? Would this person still receive benefits even though they were approved at the lower 630 hour threshold? Or would they then need the new required 700 hours to keep receiving benefits?
They need to have the amount of hours required at the time of application only.

You'll be fine.
Sep 7, 2017
3 posts
I am working part time and also going to school full time Now I I think I will be laid off. Can I get EI? I can't cancel the school now because I have already started Thanks
Sep 9, 2017
1 posts
Hi all,
I have a weird question

I just found out I'm pregnant (second child). My first pregnancy was high risk, and I will likely be put off of work early because I work a physical job.
I have been planning to complete my practicum for my university degree in the winter, which is ag a desk job. It's a practicum so I would work for free. I would have done this during the day, and worked my actual
Job during evenings, nights and weekends. If I'm put on sick leave by my doctor before mat leave, would I be allowed to do my practicum as planned? It's $3000 to do, so It's important I figure this out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Lisapenny wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:47 pm
I am working part time and also going to school full time Now I I think I will be laid off. Can I get EI? I can't cancel the school now because I have already started Thanks
Already answered
Jan 12, 2012
19 posts
4 upvotes
EDMONTON
Hello. I've a question. I heard through the grapevine that my team may have layoffs as soon as this month. Now, I've a total of 20 vacation days left and they are non-convertible to cash.

1) If I were to be laid off (and have my vacation days cashed out), does that mean my EI benefits will be delayed as long as the vacation days payout is part of the last paycheque i'll receive?
2) Is there any way so I can get my vacation payout without delaying my EI benefits?
3) Is it advisable to then not take any vacation days and just delay my EI benefits or just take 'em before my last day?

Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2308 posts
1224 upvotes
Hey @b166er1337,

I was hoping you could answer this one for me... What's my chances of getting EI based on my situation?

I work as a sales rep for a large corporation that is closing down the particular subsidiary that I work for. Many of the other employees were given severance packages, but the majority of us will be "redeployed" into office positions. They've said they will try to place us close to home/our current work locations, and that there will be guaranteed positions for us.

Now... the position they're offering is actually the same role that I left to take on my current position... On paper, it's pretty much the same job... except that the office job reports to a (micro)manager daily, whereas my current position allows me flexibility in scheduling and enough responsibility where I only report to my manager once or twice a month.

Furthermore, even though there is no official decrease in salary (it's an increase) on paper, the new position greatly hinders my ability to earn bonus/commission - based on my own performance last year, I'm going from earning ~6K in bonuses to being capped out at 3K instead.

I don't want to go back to my old position..... Do I have a case here? My current position is eliminated as of January... would I keep working until after the transition or should I give notice beforehand?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:58 pm
Hey @b166er1337,

I was hoping you could answer this one for me... What's my chances of getting EI based on my situation?

I work as a sales rep for a large corporation that is closing down the particular subsidiary that I work for. Many of the other employees were given severance packages, but the majority of us will be "redeployed" into office positions. They've said they will try to place us close to home/our current work locations, and that there will be guaranteed positions for us.

Now... the position they're offering is actually the same role that I left to take on my current position... On paper, it's pretty much the same job... except that the office job reports to a (micro)manager daily, whereas my current position allows me flexibility in scheduling and enough responsibility where I only report to my manager once or twice a month.

Furthermore, even though there is no official decrease in salary (it's an increase) on paper, the new position greatly hinders my ability to earn bonus/commission - based on my own performance last year, I'm going from earning ~6K in bonuses to being capped out at 3K instead.

I don't want to go back to my old position..... Do I have a case here? My current position is eliminated as of January... would I keep working until after the transition or should I give notice beforehand?
So you want to quit and collect EI because you don't like the new job?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2308 posts
1224 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:43 pm
So you want to quit and collect EI because you don't like the new job?
Well, I'm currently applying for jobs.

I'm just wondering if I would qualify for EI, if I'm unable to find something before my position is eliminated, should I decide to quit rather than accept the redeployment.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:48 pm
Well, I'm currently applying for jobs.

I'm just wondering if I would qualify for EI, if I'm unable to find something before my position is eliminated, should I decide to quit rather than accept the redeployment.
If you quit you're unlikely to get EI as you're creating your own departure from the workforce and it doesn't not sound like your duties and paid are substantially changed or that the wage is significantly decreased.

As per some of the valid reasons for quitting, one is 'your wages were significantly reduced, or there were major changes to your duties'. In my personal opinion this is not the case however it would all depend on who is adjudicating your claim...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2308 posts
1224 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:57 pm
If you quit you're unlikely to get EI as you're creating your own departure from the workforce and it doesn't not sound like your duties and paid are substantially changed or that the wage is significantly decreased.

As per some of the valid reasons for quitting, one is 'your wages were significantly reduced, or there were major changes to your duties'. In my personal opinion this is not the case however it would all depend on who is adjudicating your claim...
Right. That's the whole question... whether this constitutes a major change in duties or wages... and my argument is for both. They've taken away my ability to earn commission, and they've turned my job into an office job.

In my current role, my main job is to prospect for new clients - it involves approaching strangers, talking to people who are not there for your product/services and requires a different kind of sales approachability than the new position.

The new position (my previous job) is the polar opposite. I rarely, if ever talk to people who aren't already clients... my main job would be to make cold calls in an office, and upsell existing clients who come to me for advice.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7769 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:14 am
Right. That's the whole question... whether this constitutes a major change in duties or wages... and my argument is for both. They've taken away my ability to earn commission, and they've turned my job into an office job.

In my current role, my main job is to prospect for new clients - it involves approaching strangers, talking to people who are not there for your product/services and requires a different kind of sales approachability than the new position.

The new position (my previous job) is the polar opposite. I rarely, if ever talk to people who aren't already clients... my main job would be to make cold calls in an office, and upsell existing clients who come to me for advice.
That sounds nothing like the polar opposite