• Nov 21st, 2017 10:32 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:42 am
That sounds nothing like the polar opposite
How so? My current job is to walk around and talk to people. Paperwork and admin stuff take up less than 10% of my day. I rarely use the phone unless someone is calling and I happen to answer.

The new position involves sitting all day in an office, at least 2 hours a day of cold-calling, and endless paperwork and follow up.
Jul 11, 2011
835 posts
485 upvotes
Ontario
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:36 am
How so? My current job is to walk around and talk to people. Paperwork and admin stuff take up less than 10% of my day. I rarely use the phone unless someone is calling and I happen to answer.

The new position involves sitting all day in an office, at least 2 hours a day of cold-calling, and endless paperwork and follow up.
You should be thankful that accommodations were made for you. You must have been a valuable asset in your old position.

Now is the time to buckle down, accept the new placement, then go and search for a job while still employed (that's if you really desire a change).

EI is not there because you're not willing to adapt to a little, workplace challenge/change
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
hebsie wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:18 pm
You should be thankful that accommodations were made for you. You must have been a valuable asset in your old position.

Now is the time to buckle down, accept the new placement, then go and search for a job while still employed (that's if you really desire a change).

EI is not there because you're not willing to adapt to a little, workplace challenge/change
Still doesn't answer the original question at all. In my opinion, it's a humiliating downgrade from my current position and I won't 'buckle down and accept' the new position.

Many of my colleagues have worked in my current position for 10+ years, turnover is pretty much non-existent. The new position is an entry level office job with a very high rate of turnover - most people don't even make it past the training stage, and people either quit or change jobs within a year or two.

I'm not thankful that I was selected for redeployment... I wish I was offered the generous severance package that many others received. I have no desire to stay with my current employer if that is what they want to offer me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7773 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:37 pm
Still doesn't answer the original question at all. In my opinion, it's a humiliating downgrade from my current position and I won't 'buckle down and accept' the new position.

Many of my colleagues have worked in my current position for 10+ years, turnover is pretty much non-existent. The new position is an entry level office job with a very high rate of turnover - most people don't even make it past the training stage, and people either quit or change jobs within a year or two.

I'm not thankful that I was selected for redeployment... I wish I was offered the generous severance package that many others received. I have no desire to stay with my current employer if that is what they want to offer me.
Advice has been given. Take it or leave it. You haven't exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting and it doesn't look like you're demonstrating just cause for quitting.

At first it was the same job on paper just in an office, now it's an entry level job that's a humiliating downgrade. It's not like you're going from selling real estate to Warren Buffett to cleaning toilets.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:49 pm
Advice has been given. Take it or leave it. You haven't exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting and it doesn't look like you're demonstrating just cause for quitting.

At first it was the same job on paper just in an office, now it's an entry level job that's a humiliating downgrade. It's not like you're going from selling real estate to Warren Buffett to cleaning toilets.
Right. Thanks for your input. [..]

Not sure why [...] people bother to post when they have nothing valuable to input. Thanks again.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 12th, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7773 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Ah, what a wonderfully mature path to take
Jun 11, 2009
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your previous help. I have another question that I would like a quick answer to.

I have a relative who is currently having issues with their joints. Specifically, they have severe pain in the knees, and this person has difficulty performing the tasks required to do their job as it requires a lot of walking and standing.

This person wants to go on EI sickness benefits and they obtained required documentations from the doctor's to do so. They have a number of questions they would like answered.

1) Their first question has to do with the limits to this EI benefit which is 15 weeks max and they wondered if their employer does not hire them back after this period would they be eligible to claim regular EI benefits. Also, they were wondering how the second EI claim would be calculated and would they be entitled to the full amount and length. They have been working for three years straight full time approximately 40 hours per week.

2) The second question is if the employer does not out right lay them off after the EI sickness benefits but merely cuts their hours by a significant margin would they be able to go on regular EI?

3) And the third question is also if the employer still wants them back but their leg has not improved what options do they have?

I greatly appreciate your help.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:51 pm
Right. Thanks for your input. You may leave the topic and I'll wait for OP to answer my original question.

Not sure why [...] people bother to post when they have nothing valuable to input. Thanks again.
Your 'original' question has been answered. You're just not accepting the answer.

There hasn't been a significant change in your duties or wages that would be a valid reason for you QUITTING AND VOLUNTARILY CREATING YOUR OWN UNEMPLOYMENT.

EI is meant for those that have lost their job or are 'forced' to quit due to no fault of their own. You're not in this situation.

Good luck.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 13th, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
It all depends on where they place me I guess. They said it could be up to 30 km away. The office environment may be highly toxic, or it could actually be pretty decent. It all depends on the particular location and the managers/staff there. Right now, I don't deal with managers or other employees very much at all.

The only reason I applied for my current position was because it sucked being there and I was contemplating quitting anyways. I mean, the girls went home in tears every night...

Everything's hush hush so I won't know how far and with whom I'll be working until right before my position is eliminated.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
Not sure that there was an answer to "accept"?

I mean I already said I've been applying for jobs from the get go. I'm just worried I won't find something else before I get placed across the city/in a toxic work environment. If they put me somewhere close to home with friendly co-workers, obviously I've got no complaints

Let's say worst case scenario I don't find any other job and they place me with my old manager... I would quit pretty much instantly if that really is the case... Would I bother to apply for EI and let an adjudicator look at it? Or just go broke until I find something else?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:35 am
Not sure that there was an answer to "accept"?

I mean I already said I've been applying for jobs from the get go. I'm just worried I won't find something else before I get placed across the city/in a toxic work environment. If they put me somewhere close to home with friendly co-workers, obviously I've got no complaints

Let's say worst case scenario I don't find any other job and they place me with my old manager... I would quit pretty much instantly if that really is the case... Would I bother to apply for EI and let an adjudicator look at it? Or just go broke until I find something else?
If you were to quit, for your claim to be allowed you would have to demonstrate you attempted to explore all their avenues to resolve the issues at work prior to quitting.

If you simply close up shop because you don't like the environment it's unlikely your claim will be allowed.

If you're not sure here is an answer then I'm not sure you even had a question to begin with?

Not really sure what you're looking for.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2337 posts
1235 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:11 am
If you were to quit, for your claim to be allowed you would have to demonstrate you attempted to explore all their avenues to resolve the issues at work prior to quitting.

If you simply close up shop because you don't like the environment it's unlikely your claim will be allowed.

If you're not sure here is an answer then I'm not sure you even had a question to begin with?

Not really sure what you're looking for.
That's pretty helpful. Was I supposed to know what I'm looking for? I only posted here in ei general discussion because I have no idea what to do.

So what would constitute attempting to resolve issues? Complaint letter to HR? Discussion with my manager or their manager?

It would be great if I could escalate and refuse the redeployment... I would gladly accept pretty much any other position in the company.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:26 am
That's pretty helpful. Was I supposed to know what I'm looking for? I only posted here in ei general discussion because I have no idea what to do.

So what would constitute attempting to resolve issues? Complaint letter to HR? Discussion with my manager or their manager?

It would be great if I could escalate and refuse the redeployment... I would gladly accept pretty much any other position in the company.
Yes contacting HR and having meetings with your managers are reasonable steps you would take to resolve this issue.

At this time however it's all just speculation as you haven't even started the job yet...
Jun 11, 2009
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your previous help. I have another question that I would like a quick answer to.

I have a relative who is currently having issues with their joints. Specifically, they have severe pain in the knees, and this person has difficulty performing the tasks required to do their job as it requires a lot of walking and standing.

This person wants to go on EI sickness benefits and they obtained required documentations from the doctor's to do so. They have a number of questions they would like answered.

1) Their first question has to do with the limits to this EI benefit which is 15 weeks max and they wondered if their employer does not hire them back after this period would they be eligible to claim regular EI benefits. Also, they were wondering how the second EI claim would be calculated and would they be entitled to the full amount and length. They have been working for three years straight full time approximately 40 hours per week.

2) The second question is if the employer does not out right lay them off after the EI sickness benefits but merely cuts their hours by a significant margin would they be able to go on regular EI?

3) And the third question is also if the employer still wants them back but their leg has not improved what options do they have?

Greatly appreciate it if someone can provide answers to these questions.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
Mestroyer wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:32 pm
Hello Everyone,

1. If your relative is physically capable of returning to work and they no longer have a job they can convert their sickness claim to a regular benefits claim. It sounds like they would have enough hours to do so. They would have to contact the call Centre at the completion of their 15 weeks.

2. If their wage or working conditions (big reduction in hours) is significantly affected they may be able to quit and claim benefits. See link https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_5_8

3. If they are still physically unfit to return to work because of their injury they would no longer qualify for further EI benefits. If this is a serious possibility I would strongly suggest that your relative look for alternative employment the moment they are off on sick benefits as 15 weeks is not a long time to find a new job.

Good luck to your relative!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)