EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 4:47 pm
Jun 11, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your previous help. I have another question that I would like a quick answer to.

I have a relative who is currently having issues with their joints. Specifically, they have severe pain in the knees, and this person has difficulty performing the tasks required to do their job as it requires a lot of walking and standing.

This person wants to go on EI sickness benefits and they obtained required documentations from the doctor's to do so. They have a number of questions they would like answered.

1) Their first question has to do with the limits to this EI benefit which is 15 weeks max and they wondered if their employer does not hire them back after this period would they be eligible to claim regular EI benefits. Also, they were wondering how the second EI claim would be calculated and would they be entitled to the full amount and length. They have been working for three years straight full time approximately 40 hours per week.

2) The second question is if the employer does not out right lay them off after the EI sickness benefits but merely cuts their hours by a significant margin would they be able to go on regular EI?

3) And the third question is also if the employer still wants them back but their leg has not improved what options do they have?

I greatly appreciate your help.
Greatly appreciate it if someone can provide answers to these questions.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1664 posts
577 upvotes
Mestroyer wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:32 pm
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your previous help. I have another question that I would like a quick answer to.

I have a relative who is currently having issues with their joints. Specifically, they have severe pain in the knees, and this person has difficulty performing the tasks required to do their job as it requires a lot of walking and standing.

This person wants to go on EI sickness benefits and they obtained required documentations from the doctor's to do so. They have a number of questions they would like answered.

1) Their first question has to do with the limits to this EI benefit which is 15 weeks max and they wondered if their employer does not hire them back after this period would they be eligible to claim regular EI benefits. Also, they were wondering how the second EI claim would be calculated and would they be entitled to the full amount and length. They have been working for three years straight full time approximately 40 hours per week.

2) The second question is if the employer does not out right lay them off after the EI sickness benefits but merely cuts their hours by a significant margin would they be able to go on regular EI?

3) And the third question is also if the employer still wants them back but their leg has not improved what options do they have?

I greatly appreciate your help.
1. If your relative is physically capable of returning to work and they no longer have a job they can convert their sickness claim to a regular benefits claim. It sounds like they would have enough hours to do so. They would have to contact the call Centre at the completion of their 15 weeks.

2. If their wage or working conditions (big reduction in hours) is significantly affected they may be able to quit and claim benefits. See link https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_5_8

3. If they are still physically unfit to return to work because of their injury they would no longer qualify for further EI benefits. If this is a serious possibility I would strongly suggest that your relative look for alternative employment the moment they are off on sick benefits as 15 weeks is not a long time to find a new job.

Good luck to your relative!
Jan 12, 2012
37 posts
7 upvotes
EDMONTON
ryuu99 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:51 am
Hello. I've a question. I heard through the grapevine that my team may have layoffs as soon as this month. Now, I've a total of 20 vacation days left and they are non-convertible to cash.

1) If I were to be laid off (and have my vacation days cashed out), does that mean my EI benefits will be delayed as long as the vacation days payout is part of the last paycheque i'll receive?
2) Is there any way so I can get my vacation payout without delaying my EI benefits?
3) Is it advisable to then not take any vacation days and just delay my EI benefits or just take 'em before my last day?

Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.
Hello. Can anyone help me here? Thanks..
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9122 posts
2639 upvotes
Calgary
ryuu99 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 3:38 pm
Hello. Can anyone help me here? Thanks..
1) yes. Vacation pay count as part of separation monies and will have to be allocated before starting receiving EI payments.
2) no, unless you dont want to get paid for those vacation time.
3) it really makes no difference whether you used up your vacation before the last day worked, or take the cash payout.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Sep 14, 2017
3 posts
My friend suffers from schizophrenia, he had a psychotic breakdown then lost his job in February, his employer gave him ROE papers (laid off). He never filled a claim for IE because he was in a state of extreme psychosis till last month, police brought him to the hospital, Doctors committed him and held him in the psych ward against his will for 3 weeks. He is doing better now and recovering at home, but is taking powerful anti psychotic medications which cost $350.00 a month (he sleeps 15 hours a day) no energy or motivation yet, they will eventually lower his medication but takes sometime.

He went to Ontario Works they couldn't help him because he lives with his girl friend, OW considers them common law even though his girl friend doesn't make very much money and isn't willing to support him.
ODSP isn't an option because you need to qualify for Ontario Works before applying to ODSP, plus he wants to go back to work.

Apparently he can’t apply for IE because it has to be done with in 30 days of losing your job? Is there anyway around this? He also lost his ROE papers. I could pay for him to get advice from an employment lawyer or would that be a waist of money?

During his psychosis he blew all his life savings, plus maxed out his credit cards. He has no assist, no credit left, no money for food or rent, and no money to fill next months drug prescription.
Oct 17, 2007
158 posts
347 upvotes
3rd Rock
cancad wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:52 pm
Apparently he can’t apply for IE because it has to be done with in 30 days of losing your job? Is there anyway around this? He also lost his ROE papers. I could pay for him to get advice from an employment lawyer or would that be a waist of money?
Just go to EI office to apply. Medical reason is a valid exception. ROE should have been filed electronically by the employer, the EI office already have that. If not, he could ask the employer for another copy. If he is denied getting benefit, you can file for reconsideration and appeal. Only when you are not confident to file the appeal yourself, maybe then you would consider lawyer.
Sep 15, 2017
1 posts
I have a doctor's note saying I can only work max 3 shifts a week. Am I still able to apply for EI?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1664 posts
577 upvotes
cancad wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:52 pm
My friend suffers from schizophrenia, he had a psychotic breakdown then lost his job in February, his employer gave him ROE papers (laid off). He never filled a claim for IE because he was in a state of extreme psychosis till last month, police brought him to the hospital, Doctors committed him and held him in the psych ward against his will for 3 weeks. He is doing better now and recovering at home, but is taking powerful anti psychotic medications which cost $350.00 a month (he sleeps 15 hours a day) no energy or motivation yet, they will eventually lower his medication but takes sometime.

He went to Ontario Works they couldn't help him because he lives with his girl friend, OW considers them common law even though his girl friend doesn't make very much money and isn't willing to support him.
ODSP isn't an option because you need to qualify for Ontario Works before applying to ODSP, plus he wants to go back to work.

During his psychosis he blew all his life savings, plus maxed out his credit cards. He has no assist, no credit left, no money for food or rent, and no money to fill next months drug prescription.
He can still apply but his claim would start now as opposed to February (unless he files an antedate request and provides a reason why he didn't apply on time that is accepted). Since he is apply now in September, from September 2016 to September 2017 he would need to have 600 hours of work. Since his ROE states laid off he would need a medical note from a doctor indicating he is medically unable to work from xx period to xx period.

He can collect up to 15 weeks of benefits.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1664 posts
577 upvotes
FireChick79 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 4:01 am
I have a doctor's note saying I can only work max 3 shifts a week. Am I still able to apply for EI?
Did you quit your job? Were you on sick leave and trying to return to work?

There's not enough information on what exactly you're applying for. However, anyone can apply for benefits whenever they want and Service Canada will let you know if your claim will be accepted.
Sep 14, 2017
3 posts
Thank you for the info on antedate request. 15 weeks of benefits would be a big help. I'm wondering why they wouldn't allow 52 weeks though ?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1664 posts
577 upvotes
cancad wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 6:35 pm
Thank you for the info on antedate request. 15 weeks of benefits would be a big help. I'm wondering why they wouldn't allow 52 weeks though ?
The maximum number of weeks for sick benefits is 15.
Sep 16, 2017
2 posts
Hello.

I had been working full time as a recent graduate on post graduation work permit for 16 months and after my contract ended because the project finished, I returned to my own country and stayed there for 6 months to do my permanent residency application. Then I returned to Canada 3 months ago and started looking for a job.

During all this time I didn't even know Employment Insurance existed. Is it still any chance I can claim EI while I am looking for a job?

Thanks
Sep 14, 2017
3 posts
oahu wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 12:25 am
Just go to EI office to apply. Medical reason is a valid exception. ROE should have been filed electronically by the employer, the EI office already have that. If not, he could ask the employer for another copy. If he is denied getting benefit, you can file for reconsideration and appeal. Only when you are not confident to file the appeal yourself, maybe then you would consider lawyer.
Thank you, Can he explain his situation in person at the EI office? Asking because EI website seems to indicate that if you go in person only thing you can do is use a kiosk computer to file.
May 31, 2015
88 posts
20 upvotes
British Columbia
cancad wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 12:18 pm
Thank you, Can he explain his situation in person at the EI office? Asking because EI website seems to indicate that if you go in person only thing you can do is use a kiosk computer to file.
For the most part the CSOs are not trained to answer specific questions about employment insurance claims. They are considered "generalists" and are there to assist in the completion and intake of applications. They will be able to help him submit his application online if he requires assistance. If he has specific questions, he should call into the call centre.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)