Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
Jan 18, 2013
6 posts
clseea wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:48 am
You haven't experienced an interruption of earnings until you hit 7 consecutive days so you can't really do anything.
If I go another week with only a single day of work is there enough justification to voluntarily leave due to substantial drop in earnings? I would try to latch onto another company knowing I would still be laid off in a few weeks but could still at least work part-time while on EI.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
Kuya101 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 6:09 am
If I go another week with only a single day of work is there enough justification to voluntarily leave due to substantial drop in earnings? I would try to latch onto another company knowing I would still be laid off in a few weeks but could still at least work part-time while on EI.
You could always try that but it wouldn't be guaranteed that the person adjudicating your claim would find that you had just cause in quitting.
Sep 24, 2017
3 posts
Hi,

I have never been on EI before.

I recently applied since the restaurant I have been working at full-time has closed temporarily for renovations. I will have a job when it re-opens sometime in November. I applied for EI and have been looking for work, but nobody is looking to hire a server for less than 3 months after the summer. I wouldn't take a job unless it was really worth it since my wife and I will be working for the same bosses and will be able to coordinate our schedules to take care of our baby and avoid putting her in daycare.

My question is, what would a reasonable job search be in the eyes of Service Canada for someone in my situation? How many applications should I be making and would it be acceptable for me to turn down an offer if they don't want to hire me only until my employer re-opens the restaurant?

Thanks for your help.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
thedudeabides wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:02 pm
Hi,

I have never been on EI before.

I recently applied since the restaurant I have been working at full-time has closed temporarily for renovations. I will have a job when it re-opens sometime in November. I applied for EI and have been looking for work, but nobody is looking to hire a server for less than 3 months after the summer. I wouldn't take a job unless it was really worth it since my wife and I will be working for the same bosses and will be able to coordinate our schedules to take care of our baby and avoid putting her in daycare.

My question is, what would a reasonable job search be in the eyes of Service Canada for someone in my situation? How many applications should I be making and would it be acceptable for me to turn down an offer if they don't want to hire me only until my employer re-opens the restaurant?

Thanks for your help.
There's no set limit of jobs you have to apply for.

Don't apply for things you wouldn't accept that doesn't make sense. What if you get offered a better position than you have now?

Chances are you're not going to get hired for 3 months anyways so that shouldn't be a problem but you still have to look for work.
Sep 26, 2017
1 posts
If my husband got fired from his job but has another. This job is only for 10 weeks before being laid off. Can he use hours from the previous job where he was fired.
Sep 24, 2017
3 posts
Update on my claim:

In the last two days, I received calls from two different agents asking me for details about why I left the two jobs previous to the one I was just laid off from temporarily.

I have been working at this restaurant for almost a year and a half. I did take paternity leave back in October though.

I was wondering why they were asking me about previous jobs and I never really got an answer from either agent. The second agent basically said if I had only worked around 200 hours at my last job, then they would need to see how many hours I worked from previous jobs. However, he said since I accumulated over 2,000 hours at this job it didn't have any bearing.

When I confirmed that I had quit those previous jobs, he said they wouldn't consider those hours then. I then asked if this would impact the number of weeks I could be approved for and he said no since it is based on my last 52 weeks which means only my latest job. He also said I should expect my payments around Tuesday.

Essentially, it seems two different agents asked me for more information on something that had zero relevance to my case.

To those who used to work at EI, could you explain why they would be asking me about these previous jobs?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
thedudeabides wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 7:07 pm
Update on my claim:

In the last two days, I received calls from two different agents asking me for details about why I left the two jobs previous to the one I was just laid off from temporarily.

I have been working at this restaurant for almost a year and a half. I did take paternity leave back in October though.

I was wondering why they were asking me about previous jobs and I never really got an answer from either agent. The second agent basically said if I had only worked around 200 hours at my last job, then they would need to see how many hours I worked from previous jobs. However, he said since I accumulated over 2,000 hours at this job it didn't have any bearing.

When I confirmed that I had quit those previous jobs, he said they wouldn't consider those hours then. I then asked if this would impact the number of weeks I could be approved for and he said no since it is based on my last 52 weeks which means only my latest job. He also said I should expect my payments around Tuesday.

Essentially, it seems two different agents asked me for more information on something that had zero relevance to my case.

To those who used to work at EI, could you explain why they would be asking me about these previous jobs?

Thanks
Because they need to determine if they are able to use those hours (quitting with just cause) or not.

In theory the amount of hits from those jobs could have had an impact on your claim in terms of weeks of entitlement.

It's part of the process in starting a claim and a lot of those adjudicative activities are automatically generated from the computer system when ROEs with quit or termination are on file.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
User132914 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 5:26 pm
If my husband got fired from his job but has another. This job is only for 10 weeks before being laid off. Can he use hours from the previous job where he was fired.
Depends on why he was fired. If he was terminated with just cause those hours will be disqualified and it would be unlikely that he would have enough hours to have a claim approved.
Sep 24, 2017
3 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 8:00 pm
Because they need to determine if they are able to use those hours (quitting with just cause) or not.

In theory the amount of hits from those jobs could have had an impact on your claim in terms of weeks of entitlement.

It's part of the process in starting a claim and a lot of those adjudicative activities are automatically generated from the computer system when ROEs with quit or termination are on file.
That's what I thought, but he said otherwise. I asked if theoretically I had quit with just cause and they were able to consider those hours, would it have impacted the number of weeks I would qualify for, and he said no, since it is only based on the last 52 weeks.

What you stated would make sense though, but if they are only looking at the last 52 weeks, why would anything that happened before that matter? Bac when I took paternity leave, it was based on 3 ROEs which included my 2 previous jobs that I quit. Since my paternity leave occurred back in October (less than 52 weeks ago), could that be why they are considering those ROEs for my EI claim?

Thanks again for all your answers.
Sep 26, 2017
3 posts
Quick question, so I've been working for a company since 2014 and am now going to a construction company that will be laying everyone off in 2 months till winter is done, would I be able to claim unemployment if I start there in 2 weeks?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Dillon12 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 11:39 pm
Quick question, so I've been working for a company since 2014 and am now going to a construction company that will be laying everyone off in 2 months till winter is done, would I be able to claim unemployment if I start there in 2 weeks?
Why are you leaving the old job?
Sep 26, 2017
3 posts
I'm leaving old job as a pump atendant, wanting to change things up, allready worked at the construction job on my days off and enjoy working in construction more then pumping gas
Jan 20, 2017
71 posts
11 upvotes
If my understanding of EI is correct, EI does not kick in while one is receiving severance payments. Lets say one gets one year severance package and wants to use this time to update skills, get new certifications etc.. Will it be possible to receive some assistance from EI ( free courses) during this period of severance? Or one can avail of 2nd career and other courses only when EI kicks in?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:42 am
If my understanding of EI is correct, EI does not kick in while one is receiving severance payments. Lets say one gets one year severance package and wants to use this time to update skills, get new certifications etc.. Will it be possible to receive some assistance from EI ( free courses) during this period of severance? Or one can avail of 2nd career and other courses only when EI kicks in?
No. Your severance gets allocated based on your average weekly income. I.E let's say you make 1k a week and had a 10k severance. The severance gets allocated over ten weeks and you're not eligible for any payment from EI as you're still technically in pay or with pay.

2nd career is outside of EI and you would need to contact the Provincial body who deals with that to get a proper answer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Dillon12 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 1:48 am
I'm leaving old job as a pump atendant, wanting to change things up, allready worked at the construction job on my days off and enjoy working in construction more then pumping gas
Was your old job permanent and full time?

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)