Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 12:31 pm
Sep 26, 2017
3 posts
Been working there part time until this last 14-15 months which I've been working full-time
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Dillon12 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 11:19 am
Been working there part time until this last 14-15 months which I've been working full-time
You likely won't be approved. You went from a full time job to a seasonal job. You're essentially creating your own unemployment
Jan 20, 2017
51 posts
7 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:20 am
2nd career is outside of EI and you would need to contact the Provincial body who deals with that to get a proper answer.
Thank you, now i am more clear
Sep 27, 2017
2 posts
Hello,
I have a major problem with EI, My wife got laid off in February and filed for a claim, she was paid by EI only 1 week because she got called back to work. Now she filed for a maternity benefit this september within the same year but we received a letter from them that she will only get paid parental benefit until february 2018. And their reason is that they just reactivated her claim from february 2017. So in the sense, she will only get benefit pay for only 5 months! I am so frustrated right now and any help or suggestion to what we should do will be greatly appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Bert21 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:32 pm
Hello,
I have a major problem with EI, My wife got laid off in February and filed for a claim, she was paid by EI only 1 week because she got called back to work. Now she filed for a maternity benefit this september within the same year but we received a letter from them that she will only get paid parental benefit until february 2018. And their reason is that they just reactivated her claim from february 2017. So in the sense, she will only get benefit pay for only 5 months! I am so frustrated right now and any help or suggestion to what we should do will be greatly appreciated.
If her claim was reactivated for maternity and parental, she'll get that until February. Then she'll need to apply for a new claim with the hours worked after February 2017 to get the rest. Her benefits will simply be split over 2 claims instead of the normal 1 (she won't get any more benefits than normal, things just got a bit messed up because of the initial week in February)
Last edited by clseea on Sep 29th, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 27, 2017
2 posts
Thank you clseea for your reply, So if they just reactivated the february 2017 claim in september, therefore she'll get ei benefit until feb 2018 correct? Then when she makes another claim in february 2018, since it will be maternity/parental claim still do you think the benefit will last 52 weeks until feb 2019?
Jan 20, 2017
51 posts
7 upvotes
Okay - I have one more question. Lets say I work for 10 years in a full time job, paying my EI blah blah. I get laid off. I then find another job within a month, but this job requires me to be a contractor so I don't pay EI premiums any more. The contract expires in 1 year and I become unemployed.
So will be able to apply to EI and collect some of the money that I paid during 10 years?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1397 posts
414 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 6:40 pm
Okay - I have one more question. Lets say I work for 10 years in a full time job, paying my EI blah blah. I get laid off. I then find another job within a month, but this job requires me to be a contractor so I don't pay EI premiums any more. The contract expires in 1 year and I become unemployed.
So will be able to apply to EI and collect some of the money that I paid during 10 years?
No.
Aug 2, 2012
543 posts
192 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:42 am
If my understanding of EI is correct, EI does not kick in while one is receiving severance payments. Lets say one gets one year severance package and wants to use this time to update skills, get new certifications etc.. Will it be possible to receive some assistance from EI ( free courses) during this period of severance? Or one can avail of 2nd career and other courses only when EI kicks in?
Just to answer the Second Career element of this question: as long as you qualify for Second Career, you can certainly apply while you're receiving severance. The severance may have an impact on funds received if it (together with any other household income) put you into contribution territory: ie your household income is high enough that you are required to pay part of the training costs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
Bert21 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:48 am
Thank you clseea for your reply, So if they just reactivated the february 2017 claim in september, therefore she'll get ei benefit until feb 2018 correct? Then when she makes another claim in february 2018, since it will be maternity/parental claim still do you think the benefit will last 52 weeks until feb 2019?
The benefit period will last until Feb 2019 but she'll still only get benefits up until the baby's first birthday. She can't exceed the number of weeks of benefits/take them longer than the baby's first birthday even though it's over 2 claims.
Jan 20, 2017
51 posts
7 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 7:06 pm
No.
Why not? I contributed to EI for 10 years, didnt ever apply for it, worked as self employed for 1 year and became unemployed afterwards due to no fault of mine. So why cant i be on EI?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1397 posts
414 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 6:26 am
Why not? I contributed to EI for 10 years, didnt ever apply for it, worked as self employed for 1 year and became unemployed afterwards due to no fault of mine. So why cant i be on EI?
Because your claim runs out after 52 weeks of you havent used your entitlement.

Just because you pay car insurance for 10 years doesn't entitle you to a new car.
Jan 20, 2017
51 posts
7 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 6:29 am
Because your claim runs out after 52 weeks of you havent used your entitlement.
hmmmm
"have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;"
I guess one must have accumulated the insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks to qualify.
In other words those who go on EI every year are the smart Alecs. Those who work for years and years do a terrific job of helping the smart alecs!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1397 posts
414 upvotes
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 7:43 am
hmmmm
"have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;"
I guess one must have accumulated the insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks to qualify.
In other words those who go on EI every year are the smart Alecs. Those who work for years and years do a terrific job of helping the smart alecs!
If you think that being a smart alec has you being laid off every year and living off $534 a week (or whatever the max currently is) then...sure....genius.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 7:43 am
hmmmm
Totally. I slam my car into a wall every couple years hoping to get a new car... But I think the insurance company is on to me