Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
Sep 29, 2017
2 posts
Okay, I am so confused. I just received a notification today saying "Notifce of Debt". I'm actually pretty pissed because the letter says absolutely nothing! It doesn't tell me what weeks they're talking about, if it's hours/dollar related, or what. It just simply says
"EI Part I - Regular - Your earnings were not deducted. This caused an overpayment". I'm obviously withholding the amount but the statement date was 1 week ago. So, does anyone have any indication about what week they're likely talking about? I went into my history online and it shows almost every week they paid me for so far (about 2 months) and it shows under "Amended" weird amounts like $9, $7, etc...and at the bottom of the list shows the amounts I was paid. I seriously hope this doesn't mean other letters are coming because I just checked everything and I haven't worked more than 35 hours per week in any of the weeks, I got nothing for the first few weeks because of the waiting period and having earnings in the waiting period.

I already wrote my MP because this notification is ridiculous lacking in information yet obviously want payment.

So I'm wondering, how likely is it based on all the info I provided there could be another letter coming? Based on the statement date being about a week ago, is there any way I can figure out before waiting till Monday what they're talking about... the overpayment amt doesn't match what I see online - which does make sense. I just don't get it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
muffinman2000 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 7:17 pm
Okay, I am so confused. I just received a notification today saying "Notifce of Debt". I'm actually pretty pissed because the letter says absolutely nothing! It doesn't tell me what weeks they're talking about, if it's hours/dollar related, or what. It just simply says
"EI Part I - Regular - Your earnings were not deducted. This caused an overpayment". I'm obviously withholding the amount but the statement date was 1 week ago. So, does anyone have any indication about what week they're likely talking about? I went into my history online and it shows almost every week they paid me for so far (about 2 months) and it shows under "Amended" weird amounts like $9, $7, etc...and at the bottom of the list shows the amounts I was paid. I seriously hope this doesn't mean other letters are coming because I just checked everything and I haven't worked more than 35 hours per week in any of the weeks, I got nothing for the first few weeks because of the waiting period and having earnings in the waiting period.

I already wrote my MP because this notification is ridiculous lacking in information yet obviously want payment.

So I'm wondering, how likely is it based on all the info I provided there could be another letter coming? Based on the statement date being about a week ago, is there any way I can figure out before waiting till Monday what they're talking about... the overpayment amt doesn't match what I see online - which does make sense. I just don't get it.
Umm...call the call Centre?

It sounds to me like you either incorrectly reported your earnings while working, or didn’t report them at all and an ROE may have come to file to indicate something other than what you reported.
Sep 28, 2017
5 posts
Hi,
Is it possible to call the office to have them stop my EI claim immediately, even though I'm still unemployed? I accepted a job that I really really want, but it does not start until 3 months later. Would they refuse to stop the claim and still force me to keep searching for jobs or force me to take a job I know I don't want? Would they get upset at me for accepting something that far in the future? I don't really care if the benefits stop since I do have some savings, but my main concern is if it will get me into trouble.

Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
jasperdaimaou wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:41 pm
Hi,
Is it possible to call the office to have them stop my EI claim immediately, even though I'm still unemployed? I accepted a job that I really really want, but it does not start until 3 months later. Would they refuse to stop the claim and still force me to keep searching for jobs or force me to take a job I know I don't want? Would they get upset at me for accepting something that far in the future? I don't really care if the benefits stop since I do have some savings, but my main concern is if it will get me into trouble.

Thank you.
You can either stop reporting or call in... Although I would personally keep collecting and continue searching regardless of the other job. Maybe that job falls through, maybe you find something else, maybe you get sick etc etc
Sep 29, 2017
2 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 11:50 am
Umm...call the call Centre?

It sounds to me like you either incorrectly reported your earnings while working, or didn’t report them at all and an ROE may have come to file to indicate something other than what you reported.

Thanks for replying. I did after the long weekend. What happened was because I thought something was wrong in the first ROE my employer redid it. When the second one came my eligible earnings went up by like $10 but my employer added $820 in other monies its our 6 month bonus pay. Now they're saying I owe 253. The thing is is that I escalated it for 2 reasons...and I'm waiting for a callback...what do u think?

1) These earnings were paid on Thursday June 29. I think the pay period was up to the 24the or 25th. I had regular pay + bonus. I applied for EI on Sat June 25. I didn't get anything from EI for an additional week because I made too much in the waiting period. They pushed my waiting period till July. Therefore shouldn't they not he counting it?

2) you know when doing reporting it's about what days u worked not the payout date. As I told the agent escalating this is really a bonus from when we worked from Nov 2016 to April 2017 ....
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1459 posts
448 upvotes
muffinman2000 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 10:28 pm
Thanks for replying. I did after the long weekend. What happened was because I thought something was wrong in the first ROE my employer redid it. When the second one came my eligible earnings went up by like $10 but my employer added $820 in other monies its our 6 month bonus pay. Now they're saying I owe 253. The thing is is that I escalated it for 2 reasons...and I'm waiting for a callback...what do u think?

1) These earnings were paid on Thursday June 29. I think the pay period was up to the 24the or 25th. I had regular pay + bonus. I applied for EI on Sat June 25. I didn't get anything from EI for an additional week because I made too much in the waiting period. They pushed my waiting period till July. Therefore shouldn't they not he counting it?

2) you know when doing reporting it's about what days u worked not the payout date. As I told the agent escalating this is really a bonus from when we worked from Nov 2016 to April 2017 ....
If the earnings were in the waiting period (the $820) it’s possible it should have pushed back your waiting period by another week or so. So because this money wasn’t reported, you may have been paid money from EI you shouldn’t have. Without more details I can’t really say.

You may have to call back a few times as the escalation ‘levels’ increase over time. I.E they can submit additional escalation requests when the prior request has exceeded the time frame they give you.

Reporting your earnings is different than reporting your bonuses as you cannot usually predict your bonus. Your bonus or other monies is usually allocating when you are paid this money not for the period you earned it.
Sep 28, 2017
5 posts
clseea wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 9:49 pm
You can either stop reporting or call in... Although I would personally keep collecting and continue searching regardless of the other job. Maybe that job falls through, maybe you find something else, maybe you get sick etc etc

Hi clseea,

Thank you so much for your reply, and for explaining the reason behind why you would choose to continue searching and collecting. Yes... I see how nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, and that there is a small probability that the job I accepted might not be there when the time comes, or maybe something happens to me.

So then my next question would be, if I were to continue searching, then do I tell the prospective companies that I'm only looking for something if my current offer falls through? If I don't tell them that, then I guess I would find it morally hard to seem like I'm trying to look for something permanent, even though I already have something. Am I over-thinking this too much?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4862 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
jasperdaimaou wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:41 pm
Hi,

Thank you.
Don't cancel it, as you're technically not even employed yet. If you don't find work until then, then you'd be unemployed and still be able to get benefits. As long as you continue to find another job that paid similarly to your last one until then, you'd still be eligible. After some certain x months then they say you have to settle for 90% of your original wage, then after y months, then 80%, and so forth. The exact breakdown is somewhere on Service Canada's website.

They do the odd random check to verify your employment search efforts and like >=1 effort each day. Usually if your'e selected, they tell you to come to a information session and provide job search information there.

From their perspective they want you to be working ASAP. Personally I would not wait 3 months either because you never know if they can change their mind, and that's another 3 months you lose out on income and experience.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
jasperdaimaou wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 11:33 pm
Hi clseea,

Thank you so much for your reply, and for explaining the reason behind why you would choose to continue searching and collecting. Yes... I see how nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, and that there is a small probability that the job I accepted might not be there when the time comes, or maybe something happens to me.

So then my next question would be, if I were to continue searching, then do I tell the prospective companies that I'm only looking for something if my current offer falls through? If I don't tell them that, then I guess I would find it morally hard to seem like I'm trying to look for something permanent, even though I already have something. Am I over-thinking this too much?
You're over thinking it
Banned
Oct 5, 2017
13 posts
Confusing message when I login into my EI account. Is my claim finalized or is it under review ? It seems to be saying BOTH.

The big headlines says - UNDER REVIEW. But then under Detailed information it says, both Under Review & Claim Finalized for the same date : 2017-10-02.

This is what I get when I login. See below :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Claim Status :

The status of your claim, relevant to the most recent message posted below is UNDER REVIEW

Detailed Information :

2017-10-02–Under Review - Claim Under Review – Decision required

We are currently reviewing information about your claim. During this review no benefits can be paid. We will let you know when a decision is made.

2017-10-02–Decision Made - Claim Finalized

We have finalized your claim for Employment Insurance benefits. You can view information about your claim on the View my latest claim page.
If you are required to complete reports, visit Internet Reporting Service to submit your reports.

2017-09-06–Under Review -Application Under Review

We have received your application for Employment Insurance benefits. We are working to process your request and complete your claim in a reasonable period of time. Once this is done, we will update your claim information and let you know our decision.
Last edited by luigi1974 on Oct 6th, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 3, 2011
2 posts
Manitoba
Hello All - On Monday October 2, I received notification online that my request for reconsideration has been approved. We re-examined your claim and no longer consider that without good cause you had neglected to either:take advantage of an opportunity for employment; or return to employment after a period of layoff. As a result, the disqualification imposed for this reason has been removed.. I resigned from my position due to constructive dismissal and last day of work was June 23. I did receive vacation pay of 17 days. I applied for EI July 28 (I thought I had to wait until the 17 days of vacation were done before applying).

Online it shows as my application starting on July 23, waiting time July 23-29. I've been filing reports since receiving the 4 digit code. Today Friday October 6 I file another bi-weekly report. My question is, how long did it take for payments to show up online and paid? I'm potentially up for 9 weeks of back pay and need funds asap. If anyone who has gone through the process can share some info that would be great. Thanks :)
Last edited by JustVisting on Oct 6th, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 28, 2017
5 posts
FirstGear wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:05 am
Don't cancel it, as you're technically not even employed yet. If you don't find work until then, then you'd be unemployed and still be able to get benefits. As long as you continue to find another job that paid similarly to your last one until then, you'd still be eligible. After some certain x months then they say you have to settle for 90% of your original wage, then after y months, then 80%, and so forth. The exact breakdown is somewhere on Service Canada's website.

They do the odd random check to verify your employment search efforts and like >=1 effort each day. Usually if your'e selected, they tell you to come to a information session and provide job search information there.

From their perspective they want you to be working ASAP. Personally I would not wait 3 months either because you never know if they can change their mind, and that's another 3 months you lose out on income and experience.
Hi FirstGear,

Thank you for your input and explanation.

Also I'm just thinking... would it look suspicious if I take some minimum wage full-time job at the moment in order to get out of the benefits, then quit it once it's time for that other job? I guess I just really want that job that starts later without abusing the EI system, and not be stuck doing something else.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4862 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
jasperdaimaou wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:04 am
Hi FirstGear,

Thank you for your input and explanation.

Also I'm just thinking... would it look suspicious if I take some minimum wage full-time job at the moment in order to get out of the benefits, then quit it once it's time for that other job? I guess I just really want that job that starts later without abusing the EI system, and not be stuck doing something else.
No - that's what they want - they want you to be working. You are still entitled to EI program. In that case whatever you make there, they'll take 1/2 of that off your entitled EI benefit amounts.

So suppose you make 600/week there, and your EI amount is 520/week, then you will only get 220 of EI for that week

Just make sure you keep your EI claim open and report your hours and earnings on the bi-weekly reports.

It's probably a good idea even to take the min. wage job for networking purposes. You never know if you'll run into someone who knows a somebody who refers you to a better job.
Sep 28, 2017
5 posts
FirstGear wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:57 am
No - that's what they want - they want you to be working. You are still entitled to EI program. In that case whatever you make there, they'll take 1/2 of that off your entitled EI benefit amounts.

So suppose you make 600/week there, and your EI amount is 520/week, then you will only get 220 of EI for that week

Just make sure you keep your EI claim open and report your hours and earnings on the bi-weekly reports.

It's probably a good idea even to take the min. wage job for networking purposes. You never know if you'll run into someone who knows a somebody who refers you to a better job.
Thank you FirstGear,

I think this will be the route that I'll take until it's time for my first-choice job. You're right about the networking and meeting new people. Even if it's not related to my primary field, maybe they can help me in the future or vice versa. Also it might just be refreshing to be doing something I'm not used to.

Thank you for helping me avoid getting in trouble. I really appreciate your time. For me, getting the full benefit amount isn't a primary thing any more. I think the main concern is just not being seen as if I'm abusing the system.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)