Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 12:31 pm
Banned
Oct 5, 2017
13 posts
Confusing message when I login into my EI account. Is my claim finalized or is it under review ? It seems to be saying BOTH.

The big headlines says - UNDER REVIEW. But then under Detailed information it says, both Under Review & Claim Finalized for the same date : 2017-10-02.

This is what I get when I login. See below :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Claim Status :

The status of your claim, relevant to the most recent message posted below is UNDER REVIEW

Detailed Information :

2017-10-02–Under Review - Claim Under Review – Decision required

We are currently reviewing information about your claim. During this review no benefits can be paid. We will let you know when a decision is made.

2017-10-02–Decision Made - Claim Finalized

We have finalized your claim for Employment Insurance benefits. You can view information about your claim on the View my latest claim page.
If you are required to complete reports, visit Internet Reporting Service to submit your reports.

2017-09-06–Under Review -Application Under Review

We have received your application for Employment Insurance benefits. We are working to process your request and complete your claim in a reasonable period of time. Once this is done, we will update your claim information and let you know our decision.
Banned
Oct 5, 2017
13 posts
My Claim is still showing UNDER REVIEW.

But I am also seeing the following when I log in. Does that mean its been approved and I will get the following amount ? $ 540 ( Benefit Rate ) - $ 66 ( Federal Tax ).

If its still UNDER REVIEW then why is it showing me the Benefit rate and Federal tax and all that ? I don't get it.

Start Date of Claim: August 29, 2017
Type of Benefit: XXXXXXXXX
Total Insurable Earnings: $XXXXXX
Benefit Rate: $540
Federal Tax: $66

End Date of Claim: August 27, 2018
Apr 3, 2011
2 posts
Manitoba
Luigi - It looks like the calculation for payment has been done. If/when approved, that's what you will receive weekly. I have the same on mine and my claim has been approved after reconsideration on October 2nd. Now i'm just waiting to see when payments will start flowing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
luigi1974 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 7:25 am
My Claim is still showing UNDER REVIEW.

But I am also seeing the following when I log in. Does that mean its been approved and I will get the following amount ? $ 540 ( Benefit Rate ) - $ 66 ( Federal Tax ).

If its still UNDER REVIEW then why is it showing me the Benefit rate and Federal tax and all that ? I don't get it.

Start Date of Claim: August 29, 2017
Type of Benefit: XXXXXXXXX
Total Insurable Earnings: $XXXXXX
Benefit Rate: $540
Federal Tax: $66

End Date of Claim: August 27, 2018
Your claim has been finalized, that's the only way you're seeing dollar amounts. However, there must have been other information that came on so they're either recalculating things or reassessing the outcome. You need call in to find out the specifics... Asking numerous times on here won't get you those details
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1398 posts
416 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 5:50 pm
Your claim has been finalized, that's the only way you're seeing dollar amounts. However, there must have been other information that came on so they're either recalculating things or reassessing the outcome. You need call in to find out the specifics... Asking numerous times on here won't get you those details
I dunno 5th time might be the magic number...
Oct 11, 2017
1 posts
Hi,

I worked for some company during 2015-2016,sep2 and lost my job and my company gave all the information to claim EI.on the next day its self my work permit got expired and my status changed to visitor.I applied to EI with the visitor status after a week Service canada called me and informed "though i am eligible for EI due to my Visitor status am not eligible for EI ,they suggested me to reapply after extending work permit or getting PR "

so after few weeks i left canada and applied to PR outside canada.and got PR on july 2017 and returned back to canada on september 23. and got new SIN number which starts with 6. and with that SIN number i again applied to EI on sep 25,2017 got access code and also informed to Service canada customer service about my old SIN information.

whenever i open my service canada account its not showing any info about my EI claim but when i call to EI contact number the automated telephone voice saying my claim is under review.

i am thinking will i eligible for EI ?will my application gets approved?

thank you
Apr 27, 2015
150 posts
26 upvotes
I'm on EI. I was sick for 1 week, but didn't go to a doctor. Can I still indicate that I was sick on EI online report?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
lthota89 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:52 pm
Hi,

I worked for some company during 2015-2016,sep2 and lost my job and my company gave all the information to claim EI.on the next day its self my work permit got expired and my status changed to visitor.I applied to EI with the visitor status after a week Service canada called me and informed "though i am eligible for EI due to my Visitor status am not eligible for EI ,they suggested me to reapply after extending work permit or getting PR "

so after few weeks i left canada and applied to PR outside canada.and got PR on july 2017 and returned back to canada on september 23. and got new SIN number which starts with 6. and with that SIN number i again applied to EI on sep 25,2017 got access code and also informed to Service canada customer service about my old SIN information.

whenever i open my service canada account its not showing any info about my EI claim but when i call to EI contact number the automated telephone voice saying my claim is under review.

i am thinking will i eligible for EI ?will my application gets approved?

thank you
No you won't be eligible. You haven't had any hours in the past year and weren't available due to your residency status prior to that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
gibor365365 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:38 pm
I'm on EI. I was sick for 1 week, but didn't go to a doctor. Can I still indicate that I was sick on EI online report?
Yes. Indicate you weren't available due to illness. You'll receive benefits like normal.
Oct 9, 2017
6 posts
Hey everyone,

If I quit my current permanent full-time job (30-35 hours a week) to accept a full-time 3-month contract for a different company, will I be able to receive EI benefits after the contract ends? In case this information matters, the job for this 3-month contract is for much higher pay and improves my future job prospects, so I'm compelled to take it.

Also, if I stayed with my current employer for 1 day/week while I am on this contract, would that affect my eligibility to get EI after the contract ends? I like the people that I work with at my current job, and I could use the extra money, but I also don't want to negatively impact my chances of getting EI at the end of the contract and whatever extra money I earn from it isn't worth losing out on EI.

Thanks

EDIT: I'll also add that this 3-month contract is with the City of Vancouver, if that matters
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
kalso87 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 1:24 am
Hey everyone,

If I quit my current permanent full-time job (30-35 hours a week) to accept a full-time 3-month contract for a different company, will I be able to receive EI benefits after the contract ends? In case this information matters, the job for this 3-month contract is for much higher pay and improves my future job prospects, so I'm compelled to take it.

Also, if I stayed with my current employer for 1 day/week while I am on this contract, would that affect my eligibility to get EI after the contract ends? I like the people that I work with at my current job, and I could use the extra money, but I also don't want to negatively impact my chances of getting EI at the end of the contract and whatever extra money I earn from it isn't worth losing out on EI.

Thanks

EDIT: I'll also add that this 3-month contract is with the City of Vancouver, if that matters
No, quitting a full time permanent job for a short term temporary job won't be considered just cause. You'll be disqualified.
Oct 9, 2017
6 posts
clseea wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 12:50 pm
No, quitting a full time permanent job for a short term temporary job won't be considered just cause. You'll be disqualified.
So just to make sure, even though it is for substantially higher pay and improving my future job prospects (my current job has no relation to what I want to do), I won't get EI because I am voluntarily leaving a permanent position to take a temp position, correct?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7743 posts
1246 upvotes
Edmonton
kalso87 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 2:09 pm
So just to make sure, even though it is for substantially higher pay and improving my future job prospects (my current job has no relation to what I want to do), I won't get EI because I am voluntarily leaving a permanent position to take a temp position, correct?
Switching jobs to do what you want to do is a personal choice, not just cause. Unless the new job has more or less the same permanency, you'll essentially be creating your own unemployment.

Unless the new job gives you enough hours to qualify for a claim solely on those hours, you'll be disqualified
Oct 15, 2017
3 posts
Thank you for this great thread! Here’s my question I’m hoping someone call help with.

I’m on EI , 30 weeks entitled with 8 weeks left. I’m a teacher and just started getting calls for sub work, so my next weeks I will be claiming those days.

I’m scheduled for surgery at the end of this month, recovery is estimated at 6 weeks...so if I phone to have my claim switched to sickness (with dr’s note) will I be able to switch back to my regular claim after the 6 weeks? And have the extra regular weeks left?

And my second question is that if I happen to get full time work this week and next, when I claim it - will those weeks count against my paid weeks for EI? Like if I make over the week entitlement of EI and don’t get any money from EI will that week be taken off my weekly entitlement.

I hope all that makes sense and I SO appreciate the help on this thread.

Thank you !!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8778 posts
2322 upvotes
Calgary
CedarSpring wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 12:53 pm
Thank you for this great thread! Here’s my question I’m hoping someone call help with.

I’m on EI , 30 weeks entitled with 8 weeks left. I’m a teacher and just started getting calls for sub work, so my next weeks I will be claiming those days.

I’m scheduled for surgery at the end of this month, recovery is estimated at 6 weeks...so if I phone to have my claim switched to sickness (with dr’s note) will I be able to switch back to my regular claim after the 6 weeks? And have the extra regular weeks left?

And my second question is that if I happen to get full time work this week and next, when I claim it - will those weeks count against my paid weeks for EI? Like if I make over the week entitlement of EI and don’t get any money from EI will that week be taken off my weekly entitlement.

I hope all that makes sense and I SO appreciate the help on this thread.

Thank you !!
1) sickness benefits is independent from regular benefits. So assuming you collect 6 weeks of sickness benefits, afterward you can resume collecting remaining of the regular benefits (probably 6 weeks since you will collect regular for two more weeks before the surgery).

2) if you claim full working week (30+ hour) and don't receive any benefits, it won't count as one week of benefits paid. So in this case you will have 8 weeks of regular benefits when you convert back from sickness benefits.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

nepper