• Nov 17th, 2017 12:01 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4788 posts
900 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 1:00 am
I do seasonal forestry work. Jobs go month to month, and for october at LEAST, i'm out of work. Next month could very well be back on the job. if I apply for EI for this month, then stop my claims after I begin work, can I, for example, start claiming benefits again come January if there is again no work until the season begins again in May? I know benefits run for about a year, is that when they reset, or?

I can't seem to find solid answers...
You keep your claim ongoing if you are not guaranteed full time work. Report your hours and earnings on your bi-weekly reports. You just won't receive money if your income for that week was more than double your EI entitlement amount, as half of whatever you make is taken off your EI for the week.

e.g. If you make more than $1000, and you're normally entitled to 500/week EI, then you don't get EI.
If you make $800, and you're normally entitled to 500/week EI, then you would receive of 500-400

That way if you have no work or are underemployed for a certain week, then you can get EI.

After one year after your layoff then your current EI claim would be over. However, if you have an interruption of earnings of 7 days, your employer is legally required to issue a ROE specifying the shortage of work (i.e. layoff). Then once your first layoff is over, then another one starts if you have another layoff slip in queue.

Hello fellow Maple Ridge'er! I grew up there.
Oct 10, 2017
2 posts
Question:

My husband was dismissed from his job due to misconduct. This was using the busines computer for personal use or something of the sort. After filing for ei and speaking with the commision, his ei was approved and no misconduct was proved.

He then enrolled in school , through the government funded skills program ( ei has to be approved and paying) they paid for half of the cost as well as gas, books and all that jazz.

He has been getting ei for approx 2 months. Now his employer is asking for a redo of the findings. He got a call saying that the employer is fighting the fact he gets benefits.

How will this effect the fact he is being paid to go to school because he has ei, and he has received 3-4 payments. How do these cases usually turn out?

Also why would an employer do this, is there a gain for them?

Thanks.
Oct 1, 2015
71 posts
1 upvote
Milton, ON
milton75 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:41 pm
Update: My brother applied for EI but he got denied. They said you don't qualify as your employer-provided your termination letter hence your misconduct is proved, even though while applying for EI my brother attached the letter of the settlement with his employer in which the employer admitted they fired him in bad faith. Now he applied for the reconsideration and my brother attached the reference letter which the employer issued him after his termination stating that he was an honest employee who did his work with due diligence. Ei ppl are saying that they have their own rules and they will not consider the reference letter and letter of settlement. My question is how to resolve this issue now, at this point can my brother hire a lawyer, as we think and already won against the employer that his dismissal was unfair and was done in bad faith.
Looking for advice- Thanks
Jan 26, 2011
138 posts
21 upvotes
OP,

my wife was diagnosed with MS in july. her EI sickness runs out this at the end of October. Is there ANY way to get her benefits extended?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
ochocincofan wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 3:21 am
OP,

my wife was diagnosed with MS in july. her EI sickness runs out this at the end of October. Is there ANY way to get her benefits extended?
No.

However, if she is unable to work she may be able to apply for CPP disability ongoing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... nefit.html
Last edited by OldMarriedGuy on Oct 23rd, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
milton75 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 12:31 pm
Looking for advice- Thanks
This is not a cut and dry EI question. Who knows. It’s with appeals now and he will have to wait for their decision.
Sep 24, 2006
544 posts
37 upvotes
Guelph, On
Simple Question - On October 31 I will be going to the USA all day for a concert in Ann Arbor. I won't be collecting benefits that week anyways because I will be working 35 hours that week. So when I file my report - I say yes to being outside of Canada for Oct 31 and file in yes working 35hours etc like I always do as this is a busy time in my work.

thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1418 posts
429 upvotes
anastasia1009 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 1:18 pm
Simple Question - On October 31 I will be going to the USA all day for a concert in Ann Arbor. I won't be collecting benefits that week anyways because I will be working 35 hours that week. So when I file my report - I say yes to being outside of Canada for Oct 31 and file in yes working 35hours etc like I always do as this is a busy time in my work.

thanks
Yes.
Oct 22, 2017
1 posts
I am currently collecting EI, I am employed by two different facilities as a casual employee. One of the facilities has given me consistent work (no less than two shifts a week,) which I report to EI.... the other facility hardly ever calls me, last shift was in June, yet they expect me to be available if I wish to stay on as an employee. I am concerned that I am missing shifts from the reliable facility but if I give up my employment status at the one that never calls I have to report on my EI that I left a job, which I believe will end my benefits!! Not sure what to do??
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
ruth67 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 4:56 pm
I am currently collecting EI, I am employed by two different facilities as a casual employee. One of the facilities has given me consistent work (no less than two shifts a week,) which I report to EI.... the other facility hardly ever calls me, last shift was in June, yet they expect me to be available if I wish to stay on as an employee. I am concerned that I am missing shifts from the reliable facility but if I give up my employment status at the one that never calls I have to report on my EI that I left a job, which I believe will end my benefits!! Not sure what to do??
Shouldn't be an issue. Don't quit but if they call you for a shift and you are unavailable, they will either dismiss you or reschedule. You are correct that if you voluntary quit the other job, your claim will be suspended and the whole claim can be disqualified.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Oct 24, 2017
1 posts
I have a question regarding the new 1 week waiting time, if I have 2 jobs and get laid off from 1, can I work at all in the waiting period tine
Oct 24, 2017
1 posts
I have a question:

If I ask my employer to lay me off, am I eligible to collect Employment Insurance? Is it fraud to request a lay off and collect EI?
May 31, 2015
78 posts
17 upvotes
British Columbia
QuebecLegalAdvice wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:19 pm
I have a question:

If I ask my employer to lay me off, am I eligible to collect Employment Insurance? Is it fraud to request a lay off and collect EI?
If you ask to be laid off that is a voluntary separation from employment and you are NOT eligible to collect benefits.
Oct 24, 2017
2 posts
I am finishing off my parental leave benefits and I just received a lump sum from my work which they classify as PD lump sum. The explanation I received from my Union Rep ideas:

"It is to recognize potential expenses for professional development, supplies or equipment or for other professional expenses. That's why they call it the PD lump sum. Your decision on how to use it."

So I literally have less than 2 weeks until I return to work but of course I am worried this affects my EI. I asked if the board will hold it back until I return from leave but they said Revenue Canada will not allow it? Although my union rep stated that it can't be held back until "next year" not until the end of the leave which is what I'm asking.

This is such a hassle and completely unfair. Here is money you are entitled to for the school year, but sorry, since you are on leave for 2 more weeks you aren't able to have it.

Do I have any hope here? I'm pretty upset.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7766 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Carmaia wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:56 pm
I am finishing off my parental leave benefits and I just received a lump sum from my work which they classify as PD lump sum. The explanation I received from my Union Rep ideas:

"It is to recognize potential expenses for professional development, supplies or equipment or for other professional expenses. That's why they call it the PD lump sum. Your decision on how to use it."

So I literally have less than 2 weeks until I return to work but of course I am worried this affects my EI. I asked if the board will hold it back until I return from leave but they said Revenue Canada will not allow it? Although my union rep stated that it can't be held back until "next year" not until the end of the leave which is what I'm asking.

This is such a hassle and completely unfair. Here is money you are entitled to for the school year, but sorry, since you are on leave for 2 more weeks you aren't able to have it.

Do I have any hope here? I'm pretty upset.
It's not really income, rather an allowance, but knowing CRA they may deem it as such since you're entitled to it for the work you'll be doing (or already did). It wouldn't matter if they waited to give it to you since the money is payable now. This one will be up to CRA to decide. Room and board is considered earnings so this may be too. Declare it to be safe.