• Nov 24th, 2017 1:54 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7774 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
PauletteL1 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:19 pm
I have a question regarding the new 1 week waiting time, if I have 2 jobs and get laid off from 1, can I work at all in the waiting period tine
You can always work but the money earned will be deducted dollar for dollar. This can end up delaying or lengthening your waiting period.
Oct 29, 2017
2 posts
If I am entitled to $543 weekly, and I work zero hours for the week (currently in an on-call job), how much tax is taken off the $543?
Oct 30, 2017
1 posts
I am waiting to get accepted , I keep calling but they are waiting to get ahold of an old employer that I quit but got laid off my summbwr job as it’s seasonal . Is the job I quit Gonna affect me from getting EI . I have enough hours with my summer job and only 200 some hours with the job I quit
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8843 posts
2388 upvotes
Calgary
mikewrz wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:33 am
If I am entitled to $543 weekly, and I work zero hours for the week (currently in an on-call job), how much tax is taken off the $543?
why don't you find out and tell us? It's approximately 10% but varies widely.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8843 posts
2388 upvotes
Calgary
RachaelR901707 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:46 am
I am waiting to get accepted , I keep calling but they are waiting to get ahold of an old employer that I quit but got laid off my summbwr job as it’s seasonal . Is the job I quit Gonna affect me from getting EI . I have enough hours with my summer job and only 200 some hours with the job I quit
how many hours of work have you accumulated after that job?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8843 posts
2388 upvotes
Calgary
QuebecLegalAdvice wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:19 pm
I have a question:

If I ask my employer to lay me off, am I eligible to collect Employment Insurance? Is it fraud to request a lay off and collect EI?
yes, it's fraud because you are not being laid off.
Jul 11, 2011
837 posts
485 upvotes
Ontario
Unfortunately not a lot of the links are working, but an interesting (on-topic) find just the same

Employment Insurance Appeal Decisions Favourable to Workers

-------------

A sample case:

Wages

CUB 41357 Umpire Decision - The claimant had formerly worked at Canadian Tire for 18 years with a wage rate of $9.50 an hour. She went to Home Hardware after they offered to match her pay at Canadian Tire, and however, the claimant was only paid at a rate of $7.10 an hour (minimum wage) due to a union agreement. The claimant also had to do very difficult work at Home Hardware which she did not at Canadian Tire i.e.: unloading packages weighing 30-40 pounds. The Umpire found that there was a substantial difference in $9.50 and $7.10 an hour and that carting heavy loads were conditions which were deleterious to the claimant's health. It was found that the claimant had the right to leave her job and not put up with these onerous working conditions at a minimum wage. The appeal was allowed.
Appellant: Elaine O'Connor
Date: 1998
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1431 posts
438 upvotes
Wondering80 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 3:26 pm
I have a rejected report with a code EI-8002 do you know what that code means?
It’s highly unlikely anyone would have all of these memorized. Your best bet is to contact there call Centre first thing Monday morning.
Nov 3, 2017
6 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:25 pm
It’s highly unlikely anyone would have all of these memorized. Your best bet is to contact there call Centre first thing Monday morning.
I renewed and old claim and it turns out when the system reaches 50 weeks it shuts the claim down automatically. It then takes 1-28 days for them to switch to regular benefits and start the payments again.
Nov 3, 2017
6 posts
I phone and asked about leaving Canada while on EI. I asked the lady about a long weekend how I would report that. She said that they don't count the day you leave or the day you return, she said that you could leave on a Thursday and would need to return by Monday evening. So in that example the Friday would be the stat holiday?

How would a regular weekend work? Leave Friday return by Monday?
As far as reporting it "Were you outside Canada between Monday and Friday during the period of this report?" - Yes or No because they don't count the day you leave?
Nov 5, 2017
1 posts
Hi OP,

We got laid off last august because our company declared bankruptcy. So we immediately apply for EI some of my co-workers already receiving the benefits while me and one of my co-worker are denied because of our work permit status. Under it stated that we are not allowed to work other than company stated in the permit. We all have the same status on our work permit. My question is why are they allowed to receive benefits and we are denied?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7774 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
hebsie wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:27 am
Unfortunately not a lot of the links are working, but an interesting (on-topic) find just the same

Employment Insurance Appeal Decisions Favourable to Workers

-------------

A sample case:

Wages

CUB 41357 Umpire Decision - The claimant had formerly worked at Canadian Tire for 18 years with a wage rate of $9.50 an hour. She went to Home Hardware after they offered to match her pay at Canadian Tire, and however, the claimant was only paid at a rate of $7.10 an hour (minimum wage) due to a union agreement. The claimant also had to do very difficult work at Home Hardware which she did not at Canadian Tire i.e.: unloading packages weighing 30-40 pounds. The Umpire found that there was a substantial difference in $9.50 and $7.10 an hour and that carting heavy loads were conditions which were deleterious to the claimant's health. It was found that the claimant had the right to leave her job and not put up with these onerous working conditions at a minimum wage. The appeal was allowed.
Appellant: Elaine O'Connor
Date: 1998
Good share....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7774 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
khid19 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:00 pm
Hi OP,

We got laid off last august because our company declared bankruptcy. So we immediately apply for EI some of my co-workers already receiving the benefits while me and one of my co-worker are denied because of our work permit status. Under it stated that we are not allowed to work other than company stated in the permit. We all have the same status on our work permit. My question is why are they allowed to receive benefits and we are denied?
They likely don't have a closed work permit despite what they're telling you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7774 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Wondering80 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:22 pm
I phone and asked about leaving Canada while on EI. I asked the lady about a long weekend how I would report that. She said that they don't count the day you leave or the day you return, she said that you could leave on a Thursday and would need to return by Monday evening. So in that example the Friday would be the stat holiday?

How would a regular weekend work? Leave Friday return by Monday?
As far as reporting it "Were you outside Canada between Monday and Friday during the period of this report?" - Yes or No because they don't count the day you leave?
Unless you're traveling solely on the weekend, you need to report all absences. Leaving at anytime during normal working hours on a weekday isn't going to get you paid. You're not available for work if you're traveling. There are certain technicalities but you can't just take a 4 day weekend and get paid

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)